PDA

View Full Version : Boardwalk in Pawling NY

sasquatch2014
04-08-2010, 22:43
The new boardwalk in Pawling Ny similar to the one near Vernon NJ will be having more work completed form 4/22 to 4/26. If you are interested in this shoot me a Pa and I'll give you as much info as I can.

There will be more work periods spread throughout the year trying to get as much of the boardwalk completed as possible. The total length will be something like 1500'.

Here is a pic of the new stuff that was done in Oct.
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/3/7/5/0/dscf3411_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=40232&c=member&imageuser=13750)

Tinker
04-09-2010, 00:01
Looks good, 'Squatch.
Beats the old "eyes to the ground" slog. One missed step could be plain 'ol nasty.

sasquatch2014
04-09-2010, 07:54
Those posts you see sticking up in the foreground are the piers that the new boardwalk seen in the background rests on. This shot was taken looking north to the area near the train stop.

Jeff
04-09-2010, 08:07
This area really needed some trail maintenance. Thanks for all the hard work !!!

sasquatch2014
04-22-2010, 07:14
For those that want to help or are out and want to stop by to see the work in progress. The work begins today and will go through at least Sunday. Work will start somewhere around 8:30 and go until late afternoon. The work site is just trail south of the train tracks and the NY RT 22 crossing. Please park north of the crossing at the pull offs on RT 22. Be prepared to get muddy and wet we are after all building a boardwalk over a swamp.

sasquatch2014
04-22-2010, 21:37
Had a morning cup of Joe with those from the Mid Atlantic office crew this am before I had to head to my real job. I'll be at the work site all day tomorrow so feel free to come and join us and get muddy. We also have work periods scheduled for June and Sept as well as Oct. This is not a small project it is over 1,000 ft of new boardwalk that will be built.

sasquatch2014
04-23-2010, 19:40
Hey all would love to see some WB members come and help on this project. We will be working on it all day tomorrow as well as on sunday wrapping up in the afternoon. I just posted some shots taken today at the work site so check them out under the Gallery.

Turtle2
04-23-2010, 22:13
Great work! As they say in Kentucky--Bless your hearts! I'm sure this will be enjoyed by all that pass through

Tin Man
04-24-2010, 09:24
Can't make it this time, but I did post a link to this thread on my facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/at.tinman

LIhikers
04-24-2010, 11:29
The wife and I will be doing some AT Corridor Monitoring work further south, in NY, on Sunday. If we get done early enough we'll drive up and lend a hand, or 4.

sasquatch2014
04-24-2010, 20:03
The wife and I will be doing some AT Corridor Monitoring work further south, in NY, on Sunday. If we get done early enough we'll drive up and lend a hand, or 4.

Would be great to have you if the weather is raining then most likely we will call it a day early.

LIhikers
04-26-2010, 10:04
We got there about 4:30 on Sunday. I don't know if it was just too late or if the day had been called off due to the rain that morning, or both. We walked in and looked at what's already done and my hat's off to you folks. How are those anchors screwed into the ground, is it by hand or is there some kind of powered machine?

sasquatch2014
04-26-2010, 13:23
It was called due to the rain. The anchors are screwed in using a big power head that is run via hydraulics. Some of those anchors are 30 plus feet down into the mud. We will have another work week project in the middle of June I'll post info when we get closer and I get more details.

emerald
04-26-2010, 14:37
I'd like to commend you for your efforts and encourage you to recruit participants locally. That's where you'll discover people who have the most at stake. Gardens are tended the most diligently by people who have the most to gain from them.

People who are modifying my spelling can take a hike! You may not have thought you'd see what's been posted by me today, but it really shouldn't surprise you. Any of my posts considered questionable are checked and correct per Google.

sasquatch2014
05-25-2010, 07:07
Well we are getting close to another work session on the boardwalk over the Great Swamp in Pawling NY. When completed this will be the second longest boardwalk on the AT next to the mile long one outside of Vernon NJ. We have between 300-400 feet completed of 1,100.

The next work session will be held June 17-21. A work crew from the Mid-Atlantic office will be coming up and then the remained of the work force is local folks and others who have heard about the project and want to join in. Plan to get muddy after all we are working in a swamp. If youhave questions or need additional info feel free to contact me.

Trail Bug
05-25-2010, 07:44
Just came through that area. You guys are doing a great job. Really looked good.

sasquatch2014
05-25-2010, 08:52
Thanks. It takes a while to build out but it really is making a huge diffrence in the trail through there.

LIhikers
05-25-2010, 22:22
I'll let you know if I can make it a little closer to those dates.

Trail Bug
05-26-2010, 07:11
Work being done on the boardwalk.

sasquatch2014
06-03-2010, 22:39
I have heard from a few folks who plan to try and make it up to help during this next build out. So the time is getting closer and it looks like with enough help we will make it past the main channle of the stream and really be well on our way.

I have had a chance to talk witha number of hikers and no big shock they all love what has been done so far. The new boardwalk will get the hikers off older and maller single boards in the muck and mire and have them up above the slime on a beautiful 4 foot side boardwalk. don't you want to be part of this?

The next work session is the 17th -21st of June. Contact me for more details and what the best was to get to the work site will be along with what you may need to bring with you. Cant wait to see a good WB turn out.

sly dog
06-04-2010, 13:04
how bout some boardwalks on those PA rocks!

Tin Man
06-04-2010, 18:01
how bout some boardwalks on those PA rocks!

that idea has been floated and rejected... in favor of carpeting

sasquatch2014
06-04-2010, 23:56
that idea has been floated and rejected... in favor of carpeting

I understand that they are looking into a very deep shag carpet. You can also hit the trail after the first foot or so of snow settles and then it is much smoother.

dgever
06-08-2010, 19:38
I hope to make it out. Having no car limits my opportunities for both trail work and hiking. No problems getting to pawling thanks to the train.

sasquatch2014
06-19-2010, 08:46
Well sorry about the late reminder but had more than a few things going on of late. We are doi9ng another several day build out on the Boardwalk. The ATC crew and local - and not so local - volunteers, Thank you Peanut was great to see you before you head to VT, will be working over the next 2 1/2 days come on out and lend a hand.