PDA

View Full Version : what's in a name? a trail name that is.....

lloyd528
04-09-2010, 12:18
A lot has changed on the trail since my last attempt at a thru hike in 1978...only got 1500 miles (only?) In those days the only hiker we met with a trail name was a big guy from Maine, ex-military commander, whose name was "BigFoot" Paul Tourignay. He had previously done the whole trail and was doing it again for charity. He has since passed away but I will never forget him since his personality was as big as he was. There was only one other guy I remember who had a name, only because he accidentally hiked south instead of north for a while....we got giddy one night in a shelter and referred to him as "Wrong Way"....it stuck and we ended calling him Bob "Wrong Way" Bristow. I would die if he saw this post. We didn't consider it a "trail name" but he had one from that day forward. Now, it seems, people can't wait to be named...even if becomes a little artificial.

I would be curious to hear stories about hikers who were given names after truely unique or hilarious circumstances..like hiking the "Wrong Way" on the trail.

Disney
04-09-2010, 17:33
I've actually heard of Wrong Way Bristow. Wasn't he mentioned in David Brill's book? As Far as the Eye Can See?

I got my name because I have a tendency to sing Disney songs. I sing alot of other stuff too, but that struck everyone as particularly funny my second night out.

MyFeetHurt
04-09-2010, 17:47
I gave myself my trail name (Switchback) in '06 as I was quietly praising the glorious mercy a particular switchback was affording me up one bastard of a mountain.

I think the trail name for me was another way to leave my "normal" city life behind and become someone else, at least for a few months.

Though even now (4 years later) I still identify more with Switchback than I do Jason....

Windcatcher
04-09-2010, 18:01
As human beings, mammals of a higher order (supposedly...in some cases), we have a general affinity to belong to social groups, to socialize with others. A good example is this forum, why are we here - to socialize. A trail name helps others identify someone as part of the group. It helps the individual feel more accepted, to be known as someone unique, yet part of the whole. Trail names aren't required, but they seem to give people a sense of belonging, especially belonging to a group that's outside of mainstream society. Go with the flow, hike your own hike, be your own person, trail name or not.

Ox97GaMe
04-09-2010, 18:12
I was given my name because I was carrying a heavy load, both physically and mentally when I started the trail in Georgia. I didnt much care for the trail name. I mean, really... who wants to be remembered as Ox; the big, stuburn, lumbering beast of burden. When I got to Vermont, a lady in town asked me what my trail name was. She said that was so cool. 1997, Chinese Year of the Ox. As it turned out, a lot of good fortune came my way on the trial that year. Opportunities came my way that didnt come for other hikers. It truly was meant to be 'my' year on the trail. So it became only fitting that I would be the one to carry that name. :)

Mountain Wildman
04-09-2010, 18:35
I don't have a Trail name yet, I chose Mountain Wildman to register on this site because I live in the mountains(literally surrounded by The Presidentials and Mount Washington etc...) and my best friend started calling me Wildman when I moved up here, Don't know why he calls me Wildman all of a sudden after 26 years. I have been trying to come up with a good trail name but I have had so many nicknames over the years, usually relevant to my size(2XL) or my name(Joseph) and I just haven't come up with one that just seems to fit. I figure one will come my way when I hit the A.T. and I just have to hope it's not something too embarrassing.

Seeker
04-09-2010, 19:56
I don't have a Trail name yet, I chose Mountain Wildman to register on this site because I live in the mountains(literally surrounded by The Presidentials and Mount Washington etc...) and my best friend started calling me Wildman when I moved up here, Don't know why he calls me Wildman all of a sudden after 26 years. I have been trying to come up with a good trail name but I have had so many nicknames over the years, usually relevant to my size(2XL) or my name(Joseph) and I just haven't come up with one that just seems to fit. I figure one will come my way when I hit the A.T. and I just have to hope it's not something too embarrassing.

and Joe was henceforth known as "Peewee".... :D

ridgerunninrat81
04-09-2010, 20:20
Ridge Runnin Rat came from the first shelter mouse in the shelter on Springer mountain. Who knocked an aluminum ash tray off the shelf in the middle of the night. Dizzy stated what was that a ridge runnin rat! So when we registered and had to take a name I kept it.

2XL
04-09-2010, 20:29

Thats how I got my name, I am 2XL.

Rocket Jones
04-09-2010, 20:34
I've been Rocket Jones forever. It refers to one of my other hobbies: rocketry. If you remember that old Cheech and Chong bit, "Basketball Jones", then you'll get the meaning behind my name.

Smoke. Fire. Noise. What's not to love? :)

lloyd528
04-09-2010, 23:03
I've actually heard of Wrong Way Bristow. Wasn't he mentioned in David Brill's book? As Far as the Eye Can See?

I got my name because I have a tendency to sing Disney songs. I sing alot of other stuff too, but that struck everyone as particularly funny my second night out.
Disney, if you are out there....do you own David Brill's book? I checked it out on Amazon,,,he hiked in 1979...we met Bob "Wrong Way" Bristow in 1978 so you may be correct about "Wrong Way" being mentioned in Brill's book. Notice how we called him Bob "Wrong Way" Bristow and not just "Wrong Way". Back then, we weren't buying into the trail name thing yet. He was still known as Bob which interchanged with "Wrong Way". Interesting how this has evolved.

Mountain Wildman
04-09-2010, 23:12
and Joe was henceforth known as "Peewee".... :D

:) As long as it's not Peewee Herman!!!

Mountain Wildman
04-09-2010, 23:13
Thats how I got my name, I am 2XL.

Me too, But I'm losing weight, May soon be just XL. :)

MelNino
04-10-2010, 07:38
I love hearing about trail names. I don't have one yet, but MelNino is from my meteorology student days.

warraghiyagey
04-10-2010, 10:38
I love hearing about trail names. I don't have one yet, but MelNino is from my meteorology student days.
That's a good one. . . :)

GrubbyJohn
04-10-2010, 16:43
spent 11 days on a section hike 2 years ago. wife asked how we was gonna shower while we were gone.? i said not gonna shower she said you'll be grubby john..... ta da it stuck

Disney
04-11-2010, 02:19
Disney, if you are out there....do you own David Brill's book? I checked it out on Amazon,,,he hiked in 1979...we met Bob "Wrong Way" Bristow in 1978 so you may be correct about "Wrong Way" being mentioned in Brill's book. Notice how we called him Bob "Wrong Way" Bristow and not just "Wrong Way". Back then, we weren't buying into the trail name thing yet. He was still known as Bob which interchanged with "Wrong Way". Interesting how this has evolved.

I do own a copy. I'll pull it out and skim it. But fair warning, given my current case of Springer Fever, a skim may turn into a read, and it may be a bit before I get back to you.

Monkeyboy
04-11-2010, 23:09
There's better trail names out there, but being MonkeyBoy sure means that you'll probably not run across another with the same trail name......

.....and it sure beats being called Warraghiyagey.

Graywolf
04-11-2010, 23:37
My friends call me Graywolf because i like wolves and my last name is Gray, I also have a tendicy to howl at the moon after a 200 drinking spree..I gave myself my trail name, Windwalker (see my trail journal) because I carry a Native American Flute with me..But Iam always looking for soemone to give me a name..Like to see what they come up with..

Graywolf

K2
04-12-2010, 00:52
Well, I have an older sister who signs off her emails as K1. Every once in a great while, I'll sign off K2.

Well, K2 is also the second highest peak after Everest, and while I'm not likely to fall into a crevasse, need oxygen or use a sherpa, the AT will be quite a challenge for overweight, out-of-shape me.

Of course, if a trail name is bestowed on me, I may accept it, but I reserve that option, please. K2

berkshirebirder
04-12-2010, 07:47
But I'm losing weight, May soon be just XL. -- Mountain Wildman

"shrinkage"

full conditions
04-12-2010, 07:58
Lloyd - I had the pleasure of hiking with Paul Tourignay through Shennandoah National Park in 1976 my own thru hike. As you said, he had a huge personality and I learned a great deal about woodcraft from him - and as I recall, he wore size 14 Vasques - made for an impressive boot print. I'm very sorry to hear of his passing.