PDA

View Full Version : Tarps

bishopj
04-09-2010, 12:20
Just wonder do any of you guys still use tarps the reason i ask is if i don't bring my tarp
i can save 14oz off my pack weight. The only place i might use it is in the shelter because
of the dirty floor. Or might use it in the rain but i plan on just staying in my tent not in
shelters.
:confused:

Blissful
04-09-2010, 12:26
No need for a tarp. Bring a small piece of Tyvek if you want a ground cloth.

flemdawg1
04-09-2010, 12:50
I use shelters mostly when hiking the AT, but bring my tarp anyway incase the shelter is full, most everyone would agree that hiking without a for of shelter is at least inconsiderate and at worst dangerous.

I would bring some tyvek or something similar or a ground/floor cloth. I'd hate to rip my tarp on a nail head.

coss
04-09-2010, 14:23
Because you are already carrying a tent, there is no reason to carry an expensive, fragile tarp solely for use as a groundcloth in a shelter. Instead, you could use a 2 mil plastic dropcloth cut to a size of roughly 30 x 84 inches. Tyvek works fine, but it is more bulky and heavier than a thin layer of plastic, and because you will be using it only on the wood deck of shelters, the extra durability of Tyvek offers no advantage.

flemdawg1
04-09-2010, 14:27
Sorry didn't see that line about shleters.