PDA

View Full Version : I put in my resignation today from work so I can thru hike in June

Spot In The Sky
04-09-2010, 12:46
Im 25 and been with this company 6 years almost but it was time to let them know that Ill be leaving at the end of may for my hike in June. It was probably the hardest decision I've ever had to make but this brings me one more realistic step closer to beginning my hike. It is sad but really exciting at the same time.

Hikes in Rain
04-09-2010, 13:01
Gotta be a real bittersweet moment. I recall doing that back in the 80's when we moved from Alaska. No job, homeless (we'd been staying in a campground for a month)....but with the big adventure of driving out of Alaska on a year's tour of the country ahead of us!

Congratulations! Whatever happens on the hike, you won't regret it.

TD55
04-09-2010, 13:03
[QUOTE=Spot In The Sky;998897]Im 25 ..... this brings me one more realistic step closer to beginning my hike. It is sad ......QUOTE]

This does not sound sad to me. Good luck and have fun. :sun

Lyle
04-09-2010, 13:07
Congratulations. I made that decision back in 1979.

Tough to do back then, but I hated my job, and the economy wasn't such a big question at that time. That year off turned out to be about the best decision I've ever made!!!!

Good luck to you, enjoy your hike.

Spokes
04-09-2010, 14:50
I bet a lot of people you worked with are envious. Hiking the AT was a life changing experience for me..... I hope it is for you too.

Keep us posted ok?

RGB
04-09-2010, 20:41
Im 25 and been with this company 6 years almost but it was time to let them know that Ill be leaving at the end of may for my hike in June. It was probably the hardest decision I've ever had to make but this brings me one more realistic step closer to beginning my hike. It is sad but really exciting at the same time.

You're leaving behind the illusion of societal contentedness for true happiness. I would be ecstatic!

sbhikes
04-09-2010, 20:51
It's sad to say good-bye, but soon you'll be living life constantly wondering what's around the next bend, and getting to find out!

Spot In The Sky
04-09-2010, 22:38
you guys make it sound like ecstasy!

RGB
04-09-2010, 23:00
you guys make it sound like ecstasy!

I would compare hiking to a drug.

jesse
04-09-2010, 23:51
Go for it. Don't look back.

mtnkngxt
04-10-2010, 10:19
Braver than I am. In this economy I wouldn't leave a good job to hike. Have fun out there.

Bags4266
04-10-2010, 10:39
Braver than I am. In this economy I wouldn't leave a good job to hike. Have fun out there.

x2, Wish you the best during your hiike and especially after it.

sidebackside
04-10-2010, 10:39
Like it was for Peter, if you wanna walk on water, you gotta get outta the boat! Hope all goes well for you on you thru!! I'm sure it's gonna be amazing for you!

Hoop Time
04-12-2010, 06:58

Sure the economy is a valid concern. But better to do it at Spot's age, or yours, than later in life when family obligations and so much more can get in the way. I wish I'd have caught the AT bug when I was much younger, before arthritic knees, college tuition for three kids, and all the usual obligations that come along with a family.

I hope to eventually walk a lot of of the trail. And I enjoy my vicarious experiences from the hikers I meet in writing about the trail, helping trailangel mary a little with the Billville Feed and drinking beer at the Doyle. But I realistically doubt I will ever do a through hike.

Not a regret. Wouldn't change much, other than maybe the achy knees and ankles, but there will be plenty of time for jobs and careers. Don't waste your youth on them. If a through hike is truly your dream, go do it while you are best able to -- physically and otherwise.