PDA

View Full Version : Fact or Fiction

traildust
04-09-2010, 12:52
Read on Postcards TJ.....

"Today I learned a little factoid about Mt. Katahdin this year. Seems last year two locals lost their lives up there due to early winter conditions within the normal October 15th closing of Baxter Park. "

Fact or Fiction?

traildust
04-09-2010, 16:45
Sorry, the rest of the story. Postcard was told that they are closing Kathadin two weeks earlier than normal.

Pedaling Fool
04-09-2010, 18:48
Read on Postcards TJ.....

"Today I learned a little factoid about Mt. Katahdin this year. Seems last year two locals lost their lives up there due to early winter conditions within the normal October 15th closing of Baxter Park. "

Fact or Fiction?
There have been deaths on Katahdin, but I have NOT heard of any recent deaths, but I could be wrong.

Sorry, the rest of the story. Postcard was told that they are closing Kathadin two weeks earlier than normal.
That's not on their website http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/hiking/hikingThru.html

An Excerpt:

"There is no camping inside BSP after October 15th. Hikers arriving after Oct. 15th must arrange to camp with private establishments outside Baxter State Park and enter the Park for day use only. Remember: After October 15th, opportunities to climb Katahdin will be determined on a day-by-day basis, depending on access and weather conditions. We cannot emphasize it enough—to avoid disappointment, plan to hike Katahdin by October 15th at the very latest and earlier if at all possible."

NOTE: They don't close Katahdin after the 15th, it's the park that is closed to overnight camping. You can still climb Katahdin, but that is determined by weather conditions which is evaluated on a day-by-day basis due. Katahdin can also be closed during the "hiking season" due to inclement weather.

warraghiyagey
04-10-2010, 10:43
Fiction. . .