PDA

View Full Version : Mt Everett area in Massachusetts

Anghiker
04-09-2010, 13:15
I was hoping someone out there can tell me if the Mt. Washington Road and the East Street are open year round? If they aren't when do they open? Are these paved roads? Just one more question. Can you go continue on this East Street into Conn and Salisbury?
Any info/help here would be just great. We are in the slow process of day hiking the AT and this Mt. Everett area is a recreational area in the summer and an easy access for day hiking on the AT.:sun

Migrating Bird
04-09-2010, 18:52
Hello:

Mt. Washington road is open year round and is paved to about the CT line, then dirt and seasonal, we have had a very early spring so the road may be in reasonable shape by now. The paved road suffers from frost heaves most of which are gone now. I have not been over the dirt road into Salisbury this season. I'm not sure how familiar you are with the area, but you can do a tremendous amount of great hiking (day or multi-day) between Jug End and Salisbury both on the AT and to the west side of Washington Mt Rd. - One of my favorites is starting on RT. 41 (plenty of parking but it can get crowded) Race Brook Falls up to AT, Race Mt. - nice falls, Sages Ravine, Bear Mt. etc. Mt. Everett (The Dome) has limited views compared to the others. On the west side is Alander, Mt Frissell, Brace, Little Brace, Bash Bish Falls - headed there in the morning.
Alander from Mt. Washington State Forest Hdqtrs. is a nice hike. If you want some exercise try Alander via from the west side via the Alander Brook trail and Roberts Brook Trail great views, water falls and very few other hikers

Anghiker
04-10-2010, 08:31
Thanks for the help Migrating Bird. It really helps me make a plan when we hope to go this month. I knew I could count on someone helping me out.
Happy Hiking!:sun

Snowleopard
04-10-2010, 11:07
The South Taconic Map by: http://www.bnrc.net/map.htm
I picked mine up at a bookstore in Gt. Barrington.

MelNino
04-11-2010, 08:54
We were in that area yesterday, on a non-AT hike...just did a quick hike up Frissell...we saw a scout group, they were pretty cool.

I need to go back and do Race and Everett again

Anghiker
04-26-2010, 09:20
I was able to get down and hike in the Mt. Everett/Sages Ravine area this past week. The Mt. Washington road that turns into East Street is a good road and it was even being graded up to the MA/CT border. There was plenty of parking even though there were many cars parked already. You can continue south from there on the Mt.Riga road 6.5 miles down into Salisbury,CT. The road is narrow some in places but we went up and down that road many times in the four days we were in the area.
Just thought some people might like to know this.

Migrating Bird
04-26-2010, 20:25
I also went on a day hike last week up over Bear MT, Sages Ravine, the trail was in great shape little or no mud. I also saw them grading East St. We are getting rain 4/25 thru 4/27 with a chance of snow at the higher elevations, welcome to NE in April. I hiked up Mt. Greylock today in the rain and only saw one other person a section hiker, it was magical.

Driver8
10-14-2010, 00:44
For the record, it's Mount Washington Road in Salisbury, Connecticut (and I think Mt. Riga Road before that, iirc) and East Street in Mount Washington, Mass. East Street is paved most of the way, but the last mile or so before the CT border is gravel. It's all gravel in CT after the first mile or two out of Salisbury village, and it is narrow and treacherous in the best of times. Not a lot of room to pass in places and narrow and dark. Very pretty, though. The safer way in and out, by far, is from the north via Mass. But for most nutmeggers, the southerly approach is closer.

Am hoping to get back out there one more time this fall, preferably while the foliage is still in place. We'll see!