PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Katahdin hike

chelko
04-09-2010, 13:43
There is a group of us between 6 and 8 that want ot hike Baxter State Park in mid September.

Our plan so far is to camp the first night at Roaring Brook after arriving at the park from the airport. Day two we would hike to Chimney Pond via the Chimney Pond Trail, set up camp and dayhike up to Baxter Peak via the Dudley trail and Knife Edge, then return to Chimney pond via Cathedral Trail.

Day three we would shoulder our packs and head up the Saddle trail to the summit and take the AT southbound to Katahdin Stream to spend the night, then head back to the airport the next morning.

My questions are:

1. What airport is the best to fly into? We are coming from Charlotte NC.

2. Can we get a shuttle from the airport to Roaring Brook, and if so who should we call?

3. Can we get a shuttle from Katahdin Stream to the airport, and if so who?

I have been to the park website and understand the reservation system and the policies that we need to follow.

I would like any other feedback anyone can give.

Thanks.

weary
04-09-2010, 14:19
There is a group of us between 6 and 8 that want ot hike Baxter State Park in mid September.

Our plan so far is to camp the first night at Roaring Brook after arriving at the park from the airport. Day two we would hike to Chimney Pond via the Chimney Pond Trail, set up camp and dayhike up to Baxter Peak via the Dudley trail and Knife Edge, then return to Chimney pond via Cathedral Trail.

Day three we would shoulder our packs and head up the Saddle trail to the summit and take the AT southbound to Katahdin Stream to spend the night, then head back to the airport the next morning.

My questions are:

2. Can we get a shuttle from the airport to Roaring Brook, and if so who should we call?

I have been to the park website and understand the reservation system and the policies that we need to follow.

Thanks.
I'm not the best source for the latest information but for what its worth, the nearest scheduled flights are into Portland and Bangor. Both are a long ways from Baxter. Bus service is available from both cities to Medway, located about 30 miles or so from Baxter. Shuttles are available from Medway to the park and if you make arrangements in advance from the park back to Medway.

Charter flights are probably available between Portland and Bangor in small planes to Millinocket, where shuttle businesses are also common. Small plane service is commonly available to small remote airports, as well as by planes with pontoon gear that can land on ponds located outside the park itself. Air planes are prohibited most places within Baxter Park.

Weary

chelko
04-09-2010, 14:24
I wonder if we could rent a car at the airport and then park it at Katahdin Stream and have a shuttle driver take us to Roaring Brook?

weary
04-09-2010, 14:33
I wonder if we could rent a car at the airport and then park it at Katahdin Stream and have a shuttle driver take us to Roaring Brook?
Parking is limited in the park. Check with the reservation clerk. Your best bet may be to park in Millinocket or nearby and shuttle from there.

Weary

wcgornto
04-09-2010, 14:54
My questions are:

Thanks.

The closest airport is Bangor.

To get to Baxter State Park, you can take the CYR bus from just outside the airport to Medway, then AT Lodge can shuttle you to Baxter State Park. This is generally a lower cost option than a shuttle from / to the airport, but with a 6 or 8 person group, a direct shuttle might price out comparably. AT Lodge can also do shuttles from / to the airport.

Link for CYR Bus:

http://www.cyrbustours.com/CyrBusLines-Schedule.htm

Link for AT Lodge:

http://www.appalachiantraillodge.com/hiker_services/hiker_services.php

mudhead
04-09-2010, 15:51
Fly to BGR (115 miles less driving) or Portland. Rent van. Drive to Roaring Brook. Remember must clear the gate by 8PM. While the rest of you hump freight up and over to KStream, one of you, with the permit in hand hikes back to Roaring Brook, drives the van to KStream.

Draw straws if you have to but I would bet someone will be willing to pass on the up and over.

Only issue is how many drivers do you put on the rental contract.

Be sure to look at a map. The second summit day has a shortcut. Nice trail, too.

mudhead
04-09-2010, 15:53
BGR saves you 135 miles. +/-

chelko
04-09-2010, 16:03
I spoke with bryant at Main Quest Advetures. He said he could shuttle us both ways to and from the airport for $250.00 total for 6 of us. I thought that was pretty reasonable.

peakbagger
04-09-2010, 17:13
There is a direct flight from Charlotte to Portland Maine, To go to Bangor you usualy have to fly through Philly and take your chances on missing your connection. There is a usually a substantial difference in cost of flights between Portland and Bangor. The extra mileage from Portland to Bangor is about 120 miles via the Interstate. The I95 drive is not particularly scenic. One plus is you can stop at LL Beans in Freeport on the way up or back if you fly into Portland.

The park website unfortunately doesnt cover that the campsites mentioned are some of the most popular in the park and therefore tend to be very hard to get, you need to be flexible and try a couple of combinations of dates. Chimney Pond in September is especially difficult. Alternatively stay outside the park at a commercial campground and book some day use parking spaces three weeks before you go at the various trailheads as these spaces tend to fill up soon on weekends. The drive from Katahdin Steam to Roaring brook is about 1 hour and 1/2 to 2 hours, even with a rental car, its tough to go more than 25 MPH and sometimes its dangerous to drive much more than 10 MPH due to washboard and potholes.

FWIW - I dont know your hiking skills or abilities or the rest of your group but your plan to hike the mountain two days in a row will be a challenge to most hikers who arent used to boulder scrambling or rock hopping. Its a lot different hiking than the AT in NC. I live in the whites and hike all the time and that would beat me up a bit without a day in between.

Funkmeister
04-09-2010, 22:19
FYI: flying a chartered aircraft to Millinocket from Bangor or Portland will cost LOTS. Six adults with freight skims the floatplanes theory from your equation. The Cessna 206 that I see when I drive there, just before the park, carries five passengers. Though I've been to the Millinocket airport, I've no idea if there's someone with a larger plane is available. To confirm this, call the FBO there: 207-723-6649.

And I am not aware of any special flight restrictions over Baxter Park. The usual 300' AGL applies (above ground level), and I recall there's no package drops allowed (like from a helicopter), but other than that, the sky's the limit. See attached photo.

weary
04-11-2010, 20:46
FYI: flying a chartered aircraft to Millinocket from Bangor or Portland will cost LOTS. Six adults with freight skims the floatplanes theory from your equation. The Cessna 206 that I see when I drive there, just before the park, carries five passengers. Though I've been to the Millinocket airport, I've no idea if there's someone with a larger plane is available. To confirm this, call the FBO there: 207-723-6649.

And I am not aware of any special flight restrictions over Baxter Park. The usual 300' AGL applies (above ground level), and I recall there's no package drops allowed (like from a helicopter), but other than that, the sky's the limit. See attached photo.
You can fly over Baxter park. Planes with pontoons cannot legally land on most of the waters .

Weary