PDA

View Full Version : Story and a question

10-K
04-10-2010, 07:37
From the small world department..

In preparing to leave my job in a few weeks to go hiking for 2 months I'm making contact lists for people to call in case various difficulties arise and I can't be reached.

One of the people on my list is a Cisco engineer I've contracted with for years to manage our routers and firewalls. He lives in NJ and I've never met him.

When I checked with him to be sure he'd be available if the need arose he asked me where I was headed for 2 months. I told him I was going to hike the AT from Bear Mt, NY to Katahdin.

Long story short, turns out his daughter is starting a thru hike from Springer on April 11th and he lives very close to Bear Mt. and has offered to pick me up at the train station and drop me off at the trail. Is that cool or what?

Question: Can you take your backpack on board with you on Amtrak? My ticket is to Penn Station, NYC but I now need to get off at Penn Station in Newark, NJ. Since I'm deviating from my ticket itinerary I want to keep my pack with me rather than checking in when I board the train.

sasquatch2014
04-10-2010, 07:56
From the small world department..

In preparing to leave my job in a few weeks to go hiking for 2 months I'm making contact lists for people to call in case various difficulties arise and I can't be reached.

One of the people on my list is a Cisco engineer I've contracted with for years to manage our routers and firewalls. He lives in NJ and I've never met him.

When I checked with him to be sure he'd be available if the need arose he asked me where I was headed for 2 months. I told him I was going to hike the AT from Bear Mt, NY to Katahdin.

Long story short, turns out his daughter is starting a thru hike from Springer on April 11th and he lives very close to Bear Mt. and has offered to pick me up at the train station and drop me off at the trail. Is that cool or what?

Question: Can you take your backpack on board with you on Amtrak? My ticket is to Penn Station, NYC but I now need to get off at Penn Station in Newark, NJ. Since I'm deviating from my ticket itinerary I want to keep my pack with me rather than checking in when I board the train.

From what I have heard most folks keep their packs with them so it shouldn't be an issue. Have a great trip. When are you heading out? I am a few days north of Bear Mt so when you get to Pawling if you need help with a resupply give me a shout and I'll run you down to the store which is just out of town. to help keep the world with in the 6 degrees of separation my brother in law also works for Cisco and most likely knows your guy as he is just down in the Philly area. I think you should have nicer weather for this section than you did in NJ.

Kerosene
04-10-2010, 11:25
You have a lot more flexibility on a train than you do an airplane. Unless you're bringing a monster pack (75L+), I'd think that you'd be able to carry it on with you.