PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with experince with Granite Gear eVent Sil Drysacks?

Sailor (The other one)
04-10-2010, 09:03
Anhyone have any experience with these: http://www.granitegearstore.com/AirVent-Reduction-DryBlocs-P110.aspx

Are they "waterproof" (which GG claims) or just "highly water resistant?" If they're stuffed and compressed and used for a bear bag, exposed to heavy rain, will the sil leak?

I've a Sea to Summit eVent Dry Bag that's bomber, but I'm looking to shave weight.

Thanks.

johnnyblisters
04-10-2010, 10:21
I have a large one for my food sack. It works great, love the roll and clip for bear bagging. Your dry bag is more than likely more waterproof than silnylon. During heavy periods of rain I did notice some dampness, but it certainly hasn't kept me from using it for the past two seasons. GG for the win!

Sailor (The other one)
04-10-2010, 16:44
Thanks JB.

rusty075
04-10-2010, 17:37
Used two of them on my thru last year, one for the sleeping bag and the other for my jacket/pillow. Both survived the whole rainy trip without letting a single drop in. They weren't the only line of water defense though, being inside the pack inside a rain cover, but there were times that I'd drop the pack at the end of the day to find a puddle in the bottom of the pack, right up against the sleeping bag sack. But it never let any through. The ability to squish the air out of them after they were sealed definitely made packing easier.

Sailor (The other one)
04-11-2010, 09:03
...there were times that I'd drop the pack at the end of the day to find a puddle in the bottom of the pack, right up against the sleeping bag sack. But it never let any through.

That's exactly the kind of thing I needed to know. Thanks rusty.

FamilyGuy
04-11-2010, 12:36
I have one that I use for my sleeping quilt. I too have not had them leak and I was in 5 days of rain....constant....rain.... whereby I had an UL pack liner that eventually leaked (damn silnylon) but the quilt remained dry. I like the way it compresses - no need for excess buckles, straps, etc.

The Unknown Hiker
04-16-2010, 16:07
Not to play devil's advocate - but why not just use a large trash compactor bag? They are cheap, thick mil-plastic and can line your pack. Don't need a pack cover (and plastic bags don't let water in). Cheaper by far than the dry sacks.

You can use any bag for a pillow (unless you are sleeping in the rain). You stuff therm with leaves for paddding. For bear bagging food - you can buy a smaller size trash compactor bag.

As long as you properly seal the trash compactor bag, nothing inside is going to get wet. I've seen some hikers who actually filled trash compactor bags with air and used them as flotation devices while TRYING to cross the Kennebec river. They had to turn back but the bags retained their flotation ability.

Sailor (The other one)
04-16-2010, 18:49
I appreciate the suggestion Jaws but I've used trash compactor bags and hate them. This is probably due to some deficiency of mine but I find they make it more difficult for me to pack and unpack, I've actually "lost" stuff between the pack and the compactor bag, and my Nimbus Meridian gives me the option of using panel-loading mode, which the compactor bag makes impossible.

wcgornto
04-16-2010, 19:46
I don't trust any "water proof" stuff sack. I use them, but if I have anything that absolutely, positively must stay dry, I put the stuff sack within a plastic garbage bag.

gtg
04-17-2010, 10:35
I am a big fan of granite gear and before they came out with their eVent compression bags i had and used the sea to summit bag, by the way you are correct about the sea to summit bag that is bomb proof. I tend to rely on that still in the canoe. I have had good luck with the granite gear bags. I have used one of the three i have as a bear bag and did have it rain pretty heavy with out issue. I have used them in my pack and last spring i did slip in a stream. I do line my pack with a garbage bag and there was water in the pack after the slip but my items in the granite gear compression eVent bags stayed dry. I had also found on a 5 day hike were on the second day i had rain all day and with rain on and off the next days I had put a wet t shirt and underwear in one granite gear bag and was surprised the next day the shirt was not perfectly dry but drier with out any moisture in the granite gear bag so the moisture must of seeped out and into the bottom of my pack which remained damp due to all the rain but the granite gear worked well

brooklynkayak
04-20-2010, 07:37
Silnylon dry bags are lighter and more durable than trash or compactor bags. I don't know how many times I've fond leaks in trash compactor bags after only a few days on the trail.

I'll stick with the silnylon type.
And by the way, I have never experienced leakage in mine, but I have never had to submerge my bags for more than a few seconds.

STICK
04-20-2010, 17:01
Has anyone used any of the Backpacking Light Pack Liners? I wonder how durable these would be. The weight and price sounds pretty good. 3/pk $6.99 and 1.3 oz for the medium size (3800 ci actual volume ~ 2400 ci suggested size).

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/bpl_pack_liners.html