PDA

View Full Version : May as well get my next trip together....

STICK
04-10-2010, 17:57
So, I won't make my May trip, but I am making my October trip (dang-git!).
My wife and I are taking 8 days to thru-hike the Smokies. So we will have to go ahead and reserve our shelters/campsites and I may as well get on it now.
We are taking it easy since we have 8 full days to do them. I wouldn't mind taking a day off to resupply just so we don't have to carry all the food with us.
So, how would everyone suggest we do it? We are open to suggestions. And since we are going from one end to the other, we are open to NOBO or SOBO.
What are some suggestions for shelters or campsites, mix 'em up? I don't mind staying in either and we will be carrying a tent. (I would like to split them up though, so that she can do both.)
So, itineraries, stops, resupplies, stops we should see? I am going to try to get a plan so that I can call and reserve next week sometime.
Thanks.

STICK
04-10-2010, 17:58
Oh yeah, the dates will be the 9th -16th of October.

sidebackside
04-10-2010, 18:11
Hey Stick! First off...I'm not 100% sure, but pretty sure you can only make reservations 30 days inadvance. Like I said, I'm not 100% sure so you can call the backcountry office. Just in case you don't have their number...865-436-1231. There are several good spots to see along the AT up there. Charlies Bunion for sure. There's a site of a plane crash just past Cosby Knob Shelter. An old watch/fire tower before Cosby Knob Shelter, if your going SoBo that is. Closer to NFG is the Boulevard Trail. Just up it is a place called The Jumpoff. A sheer thousand foot drop. There are alot of good sites/places that I'm sure others will mention as well. Last thing...if you and your wife do decided to resupply or wanna get into Gatlinburg. Call me brother! I'll come get you guys.

STICK
04-10-2010, 19:20
SBS, thanks for the offer man. We will keep that in mind.
I am not sure about the 30 days in advance, thanks. Ill call them and find out sometime this week.
In Jan we came off the Boulevard trail and hiked about 2 miles on the AT. I got to hang out on Charlies Bunion, and it was very cool. I had started towards the jumpoff but I was without the rest of the group (not sure if they knew where I was either) and with all the snow and ice I ended up turning back (a pretty good ways off the trail though, I was probably right there.....)
I am excited to bring my wife to Charlies Bunion, I think she will appreciate the beautiful view!

fredmugs
04-12-2010, 14:59
I'm sure. 30 days in advance.

sidebackside
04-12-2010, 15:06
I'm sure. 30 days in advance.

I thought so Fredmugs. Thanks.

STICK
04-12-2010, 17:25
Yeah I had read that last night. Dang!