PDA

View Full Version : Freeze dried chicken vs. Pouches

wsamsky
04-11-2010, 02:39
I am trying to plan for a 25 day hike in arizona and im unsure about how much freeze dried chicken i should portion for each meal, I havent ever used it (im used to the pouches) and dont know how much i should plan on eating at each meal ive seen about 1/2 cup - 3/4 cups. Also does anyone know a place to buy chicken pouches in bulK?

jhensley
04-11-2010, 06:48
I suppose its personal preference. How much do you eat in a sitting? Sit down and consume a meal of what you will typically want to eat. Does it seem appropriate in volume? Multiply that times the number of meals you plan on eating chicken + 10%, and voila, you have your total volume.

CampGirl
04-11-2010, 10:10
We made a Fresh/Dry Equivalencies chart (http://www.packitgourmet.com/FreshDry+Equivalencies-sp100.html) awhile back that might help you wrap your head around freeze-dried amounts. It lists the fresh amount (in ounces) of an item and what that works out to once you freeze-dry or dehydrate that item.

For chicken, 1oz (3/4 cup) of freeze-dried chicken is equal to 3.5oz of fresh chicken.

Jonnycat
04-11-2010, 13:33
I use canned chicken, with 25oz drying to about four ounces, which makes (for me) four meals.