PDA

View Full Version : Free Food

Bryant Ward
10-15-2004, 23:57
A question for you thru-hikers

- if you got to camp and somebody had a meal prepared for you already would you eat it, and what would you want it to be? (i am asking this because i'm hoping to do a service project on the trail that would consist of some friends and i hiking into some camps early and cooking meals for the people staying there)

TakeABreak
10-16-2004, 02:16
Well, something could be carried in, and cooked or reheated. Good question.

Well, spaghetti with meat, is always good lots carbs too. Hamburger could be cooked at home and reheated at camp.

A baked potato always sets well with me when its cold or chilly out. Could be baked at home and reheated in camp coals of a fire.

As you can tell I am trying to keep it simple, but most things that are good are simple to prepare.

Hammock Hanger
10-16-2004, 19:45

- if you got to camp and somebody had a meal prepared for you already would you eat it, and what would you want it to be? (i am asking this because i'm hoping to do a service project on the trail that would consist of some friends and i hiking into some camps early and cooking meals for the people staying there)
Unless it was something super exotic, that had strange spices, ie: curry... I know I would be happy with just about anything and I'm sure most other hikers would as well. A hot cooked meal that did not come out of a baggy, cooked by someone else... Sue/HH

chris
10-17-2004, 03:39
Some form of Sri Lankan food, ideally a cuttlefish curry. Or, top end sushi. Barring that, anything with a lot of calories and fat.

Peaks
10-17-2004, 08:41

Welll, first off, anything that you don't need to prepare yourself is welcome, even it's mac and cheese again. But I think what many thru-hikers would want is a change in the normal and customary diet. So, no pasta, no mac & cheese, no liptons, no ramen. High up on the list would be real meat. Also, fresh fruits and vegatables.

Ridge
10-17-2004, 09:10
20oz RibEye Steak / BP / Salad / PecanPie w IceCream / Heineken ....PS: this menu good for any meal anytime of day!

Kerosene
10-17-2004, 12:54
Pretty much any solid, fresh food would work for me. Long distance hikers would benefit from fresh veggies. A cold soda and/or beer are always appreciated. Pretty much anything that can't easiliy to carried for 3-4 days.

You'll probably also get a better reception if your trail angel camp is at least two days away from a common re-supply point.

Hammock Hanger
10-17-2004, 16:54
I had a father-daughter cook food at a shelter in NJ. It was steak fajitas, with lots of chopped fresh veggies, guac etc. It was great. Sue/HH

oyvay
10-19-2004, 14:55
When I pulled into Tricorner knob shelter around 7. A couple were offering their leftovers (angelhair pasta and baby shrimp) to anyone that wanted it. Everyone had already eaten so I got it all. They must have made the whole box, because the leftovers was plenty for me. It was one of the best unplanned trail magic days I ever had. I purposely did the six from the Pecks corner turn off (I started at Icewater), because I didn't want to have to walk back up a mile in the morning. All I did after eating, washing up and hanging the food bag was fall to sleep!

Brushy Sage
10-19-2004, 16:41
When I hiked in to the Fontana Hilton, a former thru hiker was there with the all the fixings for hot dogs, cookies and milk, sodas. I ate five hot dogs without slowing down. I could not have asked for anything better, nor would I probably have envisioned anything finer, the trail environment being what it is.

jersey joe
10-20-2004, 14:15
I was there at the Hilton that day with you Brushy Sage during my 02 thru. The former thru hiker was Sweeper and he had his car loaded with goodies; hotdogs, brownies, chips, fruit, cookies, soda, milk, etc. That sure was nice of him!!!
I thought the large variety of foods that I got to eat was the best part about it.