PDA

View Full Version : Allergies on the trail.

joeboxer
04-11-2010, 12:57
I've got some pretty bad seasonal pollen allergies, when I'm moving its not bad because my blood is flowing and I don't really notice. But at camp, especially when I'm trying to get to sleep, I can hardly breathe sometimes! I've tried to bring some allergy medicine but it doesn't seem to work that well and I don't really like taking pills. Any ideas besides wearing a respirator?

Rick500
04-11-2010, 14:20
I have pretty bad pollen allergies too. I tried several different allergy medications until I finally found one that worked for me (Allegra 180, which is fexofenadine). That combined with Flonase (fluticasone propionate) takes care of things pretty well for me.

You mentioned you don't like to take pills... I don't either, but that's been the only thing that has really worked.

Roche
04-11-2010, 14:29
Remember the better OTC decongestants are behind the counter (brandname-D), the -D stuff does the trick for me and/or a breathe rite strip. I feel for you if you need to go to the next level.

Rick500
04-11-2010, 14:40
Be aware that the "-D" (for "decongestant") usually means it has pseudoephedrine in it. So if you don't do well with pseudoephedrine or don't otherwise want to take it, stay away from the -D.

txag
04-11-2010, 14:44
I had allergies as a kid but what remains is mild allergic induced asthma.

Zyrtek (or the generic Cetirizine) is available for $1 a pill at Walgreen's in cool packaging or for less than 5 cents a pill in bulk at Sam's. This has worked for me and my brother.

I also take half a dose (1 puff am/pm) of Flovent daily but allergy pills have decreased the need for this.

Good luck on solving your puzzle......you will have to experinment and find what works for you!

DapperD
04-11-2010, 18:14
I've got some pretty bad seasonal pollen allergies, when I'm moving its not bad because my blood is flowing and I don't really notice. But at camp, especially when I'm trying to get to sleep, I can hardly breathe sometimes! I've tried to bring some allergy medicine but it doesn't seem to work that well and I don't really like taking pills. Any ideas besides wearing a respirator?From what I understand, all the rain and snow we have received this year has set the stage for a very bad allergy season ahead. I too would have to second the Allegra, I think it works among the best of the allergy medicines out there, although I do not like taking it everyday as it does have some undesirable side effects when used non-stop. The only real ideas would be to attempt to avoid the "triggers" that cause us to be effected, which is unfortunately going to be pretty hard to do.

K2
04-11-2010, 19:22
If you use OTC decongestants often, more than three days, you can get what is called "rebound congestion". BUT, if you use something like Flonase or any other prescription nasal spray, you need to use it every day for it to be effective.

Have you been to an allergist; desensitization helps a lot. Also you may need to consider the possibility of a anatomical problem such as a deviated septum or polyps, both of which are easy to treat.

I use Allegra 180, Flonase and Patonal eyedrops; I was taking shots, but got out of the habit. K2