PDA

View Full Version : Friends ands family have no confidence

dragoro
04-11-2010, 21:14
No one I know thinks I'm going to be able to do the whole trail. Great have such overwhelming support huh?

Roland
04-11-2010, 21:18
Let their doubt be your motivation. Show them that when you set your mind to something, you can achieve it.

Best of luck. Enjoy your hike.

Blissful
04-11-2010, 21:20
No one thought I could either. And I had my doubts too at various times. :)

Tuney
04-11-2010, 21:23
No one I know thinks I'm going to be able to do the whole trail. Great have such overwhelming support huh?

We really never know what we're capable of achieving until we do it. Support would be nice, but many people don't understand about life in the trail community, and they have visions of all sorts of terrible things happening.

sidebackside
04-11-2010, 21:26
Once upon a time I was there with my family. Not so much with hiking, but other life events. It's hard when it's your family and friends as to some complete stranger. But...truely this is something you "can do" with or without their support. Does it make it easier with? Yes. But hopefully this will give you more drive to prove to 'yourself' that you can do it. Not so much to prove to them that you can. Although...it's always nice to say, "I told you so!"

sidebackside
04-11-2010, 21:27
Let their doubt be your motivation. Show them that when you set your mind to something, you can achieve it.

Best of luck. Enjoy your hike.

Just what I was thinking Roland.

Lemni Skate
04-11-2010, 21:30
Maybe you won't make it, but it won't be because of any of the reasons they're thinking. I think that barring an injury or a family emergency, the only think that will stop you is your own brain. You can do it!

dragoro
04-11-2010, 21:35
Very true, thanks guys.

Spot In The Sky
04-11-2010, 21:46
Ya know I have almost no camping experience but Ive been planning this thru hike for a year and I know I can do this. My family is concerned and scared.

Skidsteer
04-11-2010, 21:48
They just don't want you to be gone for that long and it weirds them out.

Slo-go'en
04-11-2010, 21:56
They could be right, since they know your state of fitness, finances, experiance and ability to finish a goal better then we do. If they have good reason to belive you can't finish the trail (we are talking thru-hike here?), maybe you should listen to them.

Of course, it could be the reason they think you can't do it is because they know they couldn't do it. About all you can do is try and hope your in the 30% group who does finish the trail (in one trip). So in any event, they do have a 70% chance of being right.

Rain Man
04-11-2010, 22:22

What makes them all think that?

In any event, if you decide to try, then we all here wish you the best.

Rain Man

K2
04-12-2010, 00:19
Unfortunately, not all of us can come from supportive families.

Just think, how amazing it is that you've chosen to do this. Most people spend their entire lives breathing in and out, and not much else. You've chosen to take an extended trip that will test your physical and mental endurance. Regardless of how far you go, it will change you.

Having said that, I would suggest you consider not trying to prove anything to anyone. If you can only manage 100 miles, that's OK. After all, can the people you know match that? Do decide on mini-goals, and don't think you've failed if you can't do the whole thing--stuff happens.

Myself, I'll be happy to reach the NC/GA border, and I have set up similar mini-goals along the way.

Have faith in yourself; and take care. Sincerely, K2

bigcranky
04-12-2010, 07:39
If you have some time, you might read this:

http://www.skwc.com/exile/Hail-nf.html

Two Speed
04-12-2010, 08:25
Ah jeez, "Then The Hail Came." Haven't looked at that in years. Great read!

Blue Jay
04-12-2010, 09:07
Be ready for several events during your hike. People who have been living together for decades will suddenly HAVE to get married as far away from the trail as possible and you are the best man. People who have been healthy their entire life will be suddenly sricken with bungally plague and only your DNA will save them. A family member you've never met will die and you will be chosen to give the eulogy. People who live behind a fence hate it when one of them digs their way out.

Blue Jay
04-12-2010, 09:11
About all you can do is try and hope your in the 30% group who does finish the trail (in one trip). So in any event, they do have a 70% chance of being right.

Statistics lie. When you're standing at the end they have a 100% chance of being wrong.

bulldog49
04-12-2010, 09:22
Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, only what you think.

kayak karl
04-12-2010, 09:30
so what, you quit, fail, go home, drop out. what difference does it make, at least YOU tried :) have fun and when its not. GO HOME:)

Mountain Goat
04-12-2010, 09:35
I got the same thing from my family, plus a laugh from my dad, but who cares. I'm going to have fun, and when I make it to GA I'll be the one laughing.

left turn
04-12-2010, 10:03

motivation! i love when people tell me i can't do something that i want to do. just makes me work hard at accomplishing my goals.

so...if you think about it they are doing you a favor, because when your tired, down, and want to quit, you'll be thinking about them and what they said and it will help keep your moral up and keep you moving.

kayak karl
04-12-2010, 10:07
if you're doing this to prove a point too someone else, stay home!

chief
04-12-2010, 11:01
so...if you think about it they are doing you a favor, because when your tired, down, and want to quit, you'll be thinking about them and what they said and it will help keep your moral up and keep you moving.
Not really. You'll be thinking you're tired, down and want to quit. Give it a chance, maybe tomorrow you'll feel better. If you're motivated by the naysayers, then you've already lost, even if you finish.

Jonnycat
04-12-2010, 11:41
With friends like that, it's no wonder you want to run away and go hiking! :D

Deadeye
04-12-2010, 13:22
So ask them... what are YOU planning to do with the next 6 months of YOUR life?

I've found that type of response usually gets them to think a little more about what you're attempting, without being combative.

Cali
04-12-2010, 20:57

Doubt the doubters bro ..... I mostly get the "You're ****ing crazy!" from the friends an family. I just smile and say, "that's right!"

Ever read "Zen and the Art of Motorcyle Maintenace?" There's a great passage from the book called the Ego-Climber. I'll quote it below. Maybe it will help you on your hike.

"To the untrained eye ego-climbing and selfless climbing may appear identical. Both kinds of climbers place one foot in front of the other. Both breathe in and out at the same rate. Both stop when tired. Both go forward when rested. But what a difference! The ego-climber is like an instrument that's out of adjustment. He puts his foot down an instant too soon or too late. He's likely to miss a beautiful passage of sunlight through the trees. He goes on when the sloppiness of his step shows he's tired. He rests at odd times. He looks up the trail trying to see what's ahead even when he knows what's ahead because he just looked a second before. He goes too fast or too slow for the conditions and when he talks his talk is forever about somewhere else, something else. He's here but he's not here. He rejects the here, is unhappy with it, wants to be farther up the trail but when he gets there will be just as unhappy because then it will be ``here.'' What he's looking for, what he wants, is all around him, but he doesn't want that because it is all around him. Every step's an effort, both physically and spiritually, because he imagines his goal to be external and distant."

Hike for yourself, and you'll be fine.