PDA

View Full Version : Ideas on how to drop my pack weight by 3-5 lbs?

danbarber
04-11-2010, 23:12
Hey everyone, I'm beginning my NOBO thru around April 22. I'm aiming for a base pack weight of 10-12 pounds. I haven't weighed about 70% of my gear since some is still yet to be bought. I based most my weights off the manufactures' specs and things like toilet paper, toothbrush, etc. I estimated. So I realize this won't be my exact pack weight but I think it's pretty close to it.

Any critiques or suggestions to my gear choices are welcome. I researched a lot before compiling my own gear list so I think most of my choices are solid (though I know I can go lighter than a 3 lb tent) but it would be great to hear people's opinions. Thanks!

Also, I'm still a little unsure about my water treatment system, so I threw in the Aquamira filter in case I decided to make a gravity filter.

Shelter/Sleep:
Tent - MSR Hubba HP 48 oz
Quilt - JRB Hudson River 21 oz
Pad - 3/4 Ridgerest 9 oz
Total 78 oz 4.875 lb

Kitchen:
Stove -Whitebox 1 oz
Pot - Evernew .9L 4.2 oz
Utensil 0.5 oz
Lighter - Mini Bic 0.4 oz
Bear bag 2 oz
Water Treatment - Aquamira drops 3 oz
Water Treatment - Aquamira filter 2 oz
Spices 2 oz
Sponge 0.4 oz
Bladder - 2L Platypus 1 oz
Soda bottle 1 oz
Fuel bottle (empty) 1 oz
Total 18.5 oz 1.15625 lb

Hygiene:
TP 4 oz
Hand sanitizer 2.5 oz
Toothbrush 1 oz
Toothpaste 2 oz
Floss 1 oz
Wipes 4 oz
Total 14.5 oz 0.90625 lb

Other:
Camera - Canon Powershot 5.4 oz
Camera charger 2.3 oz
SD cards
Phone 2.9 oz
Phone Charger 2.5 oz
AT Guide 8 oz
Journal 4 oz
Pen 1 oz
Headlamp - Petzl e+LITE 0.92 oz
Travel mirror 2 oz
Bandana 1 oz
Total 30.02 oz 1.87625 lb

First Aid/Repair:
Extra bags 1 oz
Rope 3.6 oz
Knife - Stanley Mitey-Knife 0.3 oz
Saftey pins 3 oz
Duct tape 3 oz
Carabiner (bear bag) 2 oz
Ear plugs
Needle
Tweezer 1 oz
First Aid Kit 5 oz
Chapstick 0.2 oz
Bag liner - Trash compactor bag 2 oz
Total 21.1 oz 1.31875 lb

Clothes Carried:
Camp top - Patagonia Cap 2 4.6 oz
Camp bottom - Patagonia Cap 3 5.6 oz
Insulating layer - Montbell UL Thermawrap 8 oz
Rain top - Golite Ether or Virga? 7.4 oz
Rain bottom - ULA Rain Skirt 2.9 oz
Spare socks - Wright Coolmesh 3 oz
Camp socks 3 oz
Underclothes - Exofficio 4 oz
Hat - OR Rio 1 oz
Gloves 2 oz
Camp shoes - Modified flip flops 3 oz
Total 44.5 oz 2.78125 lb

Pack Golite Jam 28 oz

Total Base Weight 234.6 oz 14.66375 lb

Poles Pacerpoles 23 oz

Clothes Worn:
Base Top - Smartwool L/S 7 oz
Pants - TNF Convertible 10 oz
Buff 2 oz
Hiking boots- Keen 29.5 oz
Socks - Wright Coolmesh 3 oz
Underclothes - Exofficio 5 oz
Watch 2.3 oz
Total 58.8 oz 3.675 lb

Total Weight 316.4 oz 19.78 lb

and yes, I need a mirror... I'm a female!

skinewmexico
04-12-2010, 00:23
Only easy thing is the tent, you could lose a pound of that by going single wall. And what's with all the camp clothes?

Appalachian Tater
04-12-2010, 01:40
If you're aiming for 10-12 pounds, the first thing you need to do is get accurate weights of all your stuff. Some of those weights are off by a good bit (safety pins, duct tape) and ounces add up fast. If you don't have access to an accurate scale, go to the post office when they're not busy and use the lobby scale.

The other thing to remember is that two cups of water weighs a pound, two liters weighs almost four and a half pounds, and that food can weigh a lot as well. You may end up carrying more weight in food, water, and fuel than base weight if you aren't resupplying every few days. With your pack, you won't easily be able to go a week without resupply.

Besides the tent, the first aid kit may be too heavy depending on what you're carrying. If you've got alcohol gel, soap, and some ibuprofen, you can use TP and duct tape instead of bandaids. If you really want to get your weight down list every item in that kit.

For your bear bag all you need is one of those mini carabiners that probably weigh well under an ounce.

Not sure what you want the travel mirror for, maybe you can find a plastic one that is lighter.

You don't have to carry the whole trail guide at 8 oz.

First thing, though, is to get accurate weights.

bflorac
04-12-2010, 04:54
I think you will find the UL folks (not me) will tell you:
AT guide: don't need it. Or have the needed pages shipped to you.
Rain Pants: May be handy in the cooler weather but once June hits, you wont need or want them. You can also drop the rain coat and go with poncho (or nothing)
Tent: Go with either none (stay in shelters), single wall tent or hamock.
As mentioned, if you really want to push this you will need an accurate scale to measure everything (don't trust the packages). Little things add up. For example use a Light My Fire Spork at .2 oz instead of your .5 oz Utensil. Shorten/hollow the handle on the tooth brush....If you keep your phone, there are 3rd party chargers that are offen less wieght.

Scooby99
04-12-2010, 07:39
If you have the money, you can easily buy a lighter pack than 28oz. MLD range from 9oz to 14oz, that saves almost a pound, too bad joe is too busy at Zpacks, I really enjoy mine at 5oz. Tarptent contrail is 25oz., that's another 1.5lb saved, that combined with some of the tweaks above such as a small 'biner for the bear bag, not 3oz of safety pins and actually weighing some of those items should knock the weight down.

danbarber
04-12-2010, 09:37
Thanks for the replies! I realize it's kind of futile to ask for weight reduction ideas before I weigh everything, guess I was looking for lighter alternatives to some of the things I have on the list.

Appalachian Tater: I was going to get rid of the pages of the AT Guide as I use them... wasn't really planning on using mail drops, but it is kind of heavy, so may have to reconsider.

I'm not sure I want to stay in shelters so I'm definitely needing a tent. I'd really like the TT Moment, and that would save me a pound, but I'm not sure I can get one before I leave as they're currently backordered.

Carabiner and first aid kit, I was just estimating weights, so yes, they'll probably weigh less.

bflorac: so you don't think I will need the rain skirt the entire time? I was also planning on wearing it while I do laundry (and maybe use as a groundcloth depending on the tent I end up with - it was a suggested use on the ULA website).

On a related note, any suggestion to which rain/wind jacket would be better: the Golite Ether (3.3 oz) or Virga (7.4 oz), neither is exactly a proper rain jacket but I figure in heavy rain I'll get soaked no matter what I wear.

skinewmexico: what camp clothes do you suggest I leave at home?

Scooby99: do you have experience with how those packs carry on the back and to their durability? I kind of like the wide hipbelt of the Jam, I'm not sure I want all the wieght on my shoulders, even if it is only 20 lbs.

Maybe this post actually belongs in the UL section? Mods, feel free to move if you think so.

Colter
04-12-2010, 10:06
If it were me, I'd switch to a Lunar Solo with the ultralight floor at 23 oz. (plus stakes and pole and a couple of tie-outs [which I recommend.] Like most people, I use a hiking pole as the shelter pole) That would save well over a pound right there.

I wouldn't carry a separate bear bag or the carabiner.

And I'm another who thinks that your weights would likely come down if you put some of the estimated smaller items on a scale.

Bottom line is it looks to me like you've done your homework and if you didn't make a single change you'd do great. If you start out with what you have it might give you a better idea for minor tweaks. Ultimately you will be in the best position to decide what works for you. Start out with the Virga and the rainskirt and keep them for as long as it makes sense. If you like your pack I wouldn't be in a hurry to change it. Have a great hike!

garlic08
04-12-2010, 10:12
For me, getting pack weight down was a long process, an evolution. Not knowing where you are in that evolution, advice is difficult. If you'd told me 10 years ago that I'd be hiking with an 8 pound load, I'd have thought you were crazy.

Trimming ounces is pretty easy. There are 60-70 items in your list. If you took an average of one ounce off each item, that's over 4 pounds. For instance, no need to carry 4 oz of TP!

An even better way to save weight it to gradually reduce the number of items you carry. My list of similar detail is about 30-40 lines long, for example. My first aid kit is very simple, just a few items. I really don't carry any camp clothes, just one insulating layer. No camp shoes. I have no electronics with me, other than an LED headlamp. I go stoveless, so my kitchen is a plastic cup and spoon. A similar-minded hiker I met once told me, "The less you carry, the more you find."

With this approach, I am able to easily carry my load in a 9-oz silnylon bag. Suspension, padding, etc become a non-issue, really.

Good luck!

Wrangler88
04-12-2010, 12:58
It's pretty much already been said but ...

The pack and the tent are where most of the weight is going to be cut off. I can't tell you exactly the one you'd need. That's for you to decide. But what I can say is that if money for new gear that pricey is an issue, sell your pack and tent that you have now on here or some other website to help pay for your new lighter/better stuff. That's what I did last year.

Also, if you wanted, you could switch to something like the Gatewood Cape and a bivy or the Gatewood Cape and the Bug Bivy that goes with it. Together they come out to 18oz. That would take care of your tent and your rain gear during summer months. It would cut out a huge amount of weight and probably area in your pack.

Also there are a lot of small things you mentioned that can cut a few ounces off. Such as your rope ... if you search around on ultralightdesigns.com or some other website, you'll find some that'll get you around an ounce or so.

Just read a lot of stuff off backpackinglight. That site helped me a ton trying to get my weight down.

bigcranky
04-12-2010, 13:17
The Moment is nice, but the Contrail is also a good solo tent. At 24 ounces it cuts 1.5 pounds from your shelter load.

Other than that, I don't see a huge amount of obvious fat in your list. Have you hiked with all this stuff? Or is it mostly just internet research (which is implied in your original post.) Once you start hiking with it, you'll be in a better position to make some changes.

Starting with a 14 pound base weight is just incredibly light compared to most thru-hikers. Don't sweat it for now -- just start hiking and see what happens.

Snowleopard
04-12-2010, 13:27
I think it's a pretty good list.

You'll need a real rain jacket at least for the White Mts, so Virga rather than the Ether windshirt. Last summer it was rainy and cold even in southern New England. For the Whites above tree line I'd recommend picking up another layer (like a fleece jacket) and real rain pants -- think 35degrees, heavy rain and 70mph winds. You can pick up additional stuff before the Whites and maybe drop it off after.

To drop weight, maybe a tarp and mosquito netting instead of a 3 lb tent, lighter pack and drop most of "Other"

SGT Rock
04-12-2010, 13:32
Looking at it I could cut it down to about 12 pounds - but that would be for me and my hiking style.

I recommend you hike with it and figure it out as you go along. Making changes based off web suggestions and such could lead you to make wrong choices for you and your hiking style. You will hit outfitters about once every few days as you hike north, then you can make changes based on what you see working around you for other hikers that you like and think will fit your style.

skinewmexico
04-12-2010, 22:04
As to the camp clothes, I just don't see you stopping at night, and wanting to change clothes. Just me. And you put on your clean clothes, they'll be stinky in the morning anyway.

fiddlehead
04-12-2010, 22:22
For me, I'd drop the water treatment, half of the first aid kit and get a lighter pack and tent.
But you have to make those decisions based on how cold you sleep, how good are you at finding good water and even more important: learn to camel up so you don't have to carry much.
And drop the camp shoes. Are you camping or hiking?
Good luck.

ps. my wife uses her cell phone for a mirror. (and a flashlight)

Slo-go'en
04-12-2010, 22:40
As to the camp clothes, I just don't see you stopping at night, and wanting to change clothes. Just me. And you put on your clean clothes, they'll be stinky in the morning anyway.

I always have two T-shirts, one to hike in and one to sleep in or to change into if the one I'm wearing during the day gets soaked. Its always a good idea to have a change of tops. I can deal with wet pants, but not wet shirts. I also always have a light long sleeve shirt and a light wool/acrilic blend shirt for warmth. I only carry long johns in the early spring.

I've given up on rain gear. I just use a nylon shell which I water proof every season. I've also modified my Tyvak ground cloth to double as a poncho if I need to sit out a thunder storm down pour or in the laudramat.

My summer pack base weight is about 15 pounds, which for me I find pretty reasonable. I just can't see dumping another wad of cash to ligthen the load by a couple of pounds at best. At least not until the stuff I got now wears out and needs to be replaced.

bflorac
04-12-2010, 23:00
As you can see by my gearlist (http://billflorac.com/2009%20At%20Stuff.htm)I am not a UL hiker. Also, since I'm a section hiker, I have slightly different needs and only need to worry about spring/summer (and my 11 year old daughter this year). I think the best advice above is to just give it a try. You will have a few places over the first few weeks (Neels Gap, Hot Springs...) to find an Outfitter where you can make adjustment. IMO, Nothing worse than being cold. Once it warms up, you can send all your warmer stuff north where you will need it again. Bottom line, don't worry and have a good time!

All you have to do is to put one foot in front of the other...

leaftye
04-12-2010, 23:35
Changing shelter and trekking poles could allow you to drop 4 pounds. For the shelter, a Zpack Hexamid with GG polycro ground sheets and BPL stakes. For the trekking poles, Gossamer Gear LT4's. Just don't look at my personal gear list. I do have some really light gear, but I use them to make it easier to carry along toys.

Turtle Feet
04-13-2010, 00:44
Danbarber - if you haven't picked up your pack yet, Sierra Trading Post has a big sale and you can use an additional 20% off coupon code (2adventure) at the checkout. I just ordered a women's Golite Jam expandable for roughly $73 (that included shipping). fyi...

turtlefeet

danbarber
04-13-2010, 12:50
So it seems the consensus is that I get a lighter tent, I think I'll probably do that. Using a cell phone as a mirror is clever, I'm picking up a cheap tracfhone so I'll have to see if it has reflective surface. As to the poles, I know they are heavy but I'm mostly concerned about the weight on my back. Last summer I carried 37 lbs on a 7 day backpacking trip and was miserable about the weight, and I didn't even use half of what I brought, so I really do what to go as light as comfortably possible. Thanks for all your ideas!

leaftye
04-13-2010, 13:26
I felt the same way as you about the poles. I had previously done most of my hiking with trekking poles, so naturally I assumed I'd do the same this time. I was wrong. My trekking poles have been strapped to my pack most of the time, but I carry them anyway since I need them for my shelter and I'd really like to have them for faster creek fords.

skinewmexico
04-13-2010, 21:04
My knees demand poles, especially on downhills.

sbhikes
04-13-2010, 21:44
3 ounces of safety pins and 4 ounces of wipes? That's almost half a pound in pins and wipes. I think you should either seriously consider the quantity of these little extra items you are bringing or get a scale and really weigh these items.

SunnyWalker
04-13-2010, 22:17
danbarber: I think you are on your way to a nice hike. I hope you'll consider a tarp instead of a tent. Take care and have a great time.

KilmerSidearmsTheVan
04-14-2010, 00:12
No manufacturers' printed weights are correct. Weigh everything yourself. I just found this out the hard way.

Lupine
04-14-2010, 00:18
I didn't read through all the posts, but you could put your chargers in a bounce box since you won't need them too often.

leaftye
04-14-2010, 01:39
Well, if we're going to focus on the bear bag, then I'd suggest either saving 5.6 ounces by getting a BPL bear bag system, or add 0.4 ounces and a lot of convenience by getting an Ursack.

Blissful
04-15-2010, 12:48
My knees demand poles, especially on downhills.

Yes, Big difference between age 30 and age 40 an older with regards to knees and trekking poles.

The_Saint
04-15-2010, 12:59
Shelter/Sleep:
Tent - MSR Hubba HP 48 oz
Quilt - JRB Hudson River 21 oz
Pad - 3/4 Ridgerest 9 oz
Total 78 oz 4.875 lb

Kitchen:
Stove -Whitebox 1 oz
Pot - Evernew .9L 4.2 oz
Utensil 0.5 oz
Lighter - Mini Bic 0.4 oz
Bear bag 2 oz
Water Treatment - Aquamira drops 3 oz
Water Treatment - Aquamira filter 2 oz
Spices 2 oz
Sponge 0.4 oz
Bladder - 2L Platypus 1 oz
Soda bottle 1 oz
Fuel bottle (empty) 1 oz
Total 18.5 oz 1.15625 lb

Hygiene:
TP 4 oz
Hand sanitizer 2.5 oz
Toothbrush 1 oz
Toothpaste 2 oz
Floss 1 oz
Wipes 4 oz
Total 14.5 oz 0.90625 lb

Other:
Camera - Canon Powershot 5.4 oz
Camera charger 2.3 oz
SD cards
Phone 2.9 oz
Phone Charger 2.5 oz
AT Guide 8 oz
Journal 4 oz
Pen 1 oz
Headlamp - Petzl e+LITE 0.92 oz
Travel mirror 2 oz
Bandana 1 oz
Total 30.02 oz 1.87625 lb

First Aid/Repair:
Extra bags 1 oz
Rope 3.6 oz
Knife - Stanley Mitey-Knife 0.3 oz
Saftey pins 3 oz
Duct tape 3 oz
Carabiner (bear bag) 2 oz
Ear plugs
Needle
Tweezer 1 oz
First Aid Kit 5 oz
Chapstick 0.2 oz
Bag liner - Trash compactor bag 2 oz
Total 21.1 oz 1.31875 lb

Clothes Carried:
Camp top - Patagonia Cap 2 4.6 oz
Camp bottom - Patagonia Cap 3 5.6 oz
Insulating layer - Montbell UL Thermawrap 8 oz
Rain top - Golite Ether or Virga? 7.4 oz
Rain bottom - ULA Rain Skirt 2.9 oz
Spare socks - Wright Coolmesh 3 oz
Camp socks 3 oz
Underclothes - Exofficio 4 oz
Hat - OR Rio 1 oz
Gloves 2 oz
Camp shoes - Modified flip flops 3 oz
Total 44.5 oz 2.78125 lb

Pack Golite Jam 28 oz

Total Base Weight 234.6 oz 14.66375 lb

Poles Pacerpoles 23 oz

Clothes Worn:
Base Top - Smartwool L/S 7 oz
Pants - TNF Convertible 10 oz
Buff 2 oz
Hiking boots- Keen 29.5 oz
Socks - Wright Coolmesh 3 oz
Underclothes - Exofficio 5 oz
Watch 2.3 oz
Total 58.8 oz 3.675 lb

Total Weight 316.4 oz 19.78 lb

and yes, I need a mirror... I'm a female![/QUOTE]

Swap Tents to a Rainbow -2 lbs.
Get rid of the long sleeve camp clothes(Top&bottom) -11 ounces
Switch pack to ULA Conduit-11 ounces

Without getting rid of all the little stuff you think you need, but will get rid of later, you just cut 3.5 lbs out with those 3 things. Perfect for what you wanted to do without sacrificing what you can/can't take with you.

danbarber
04-15-2010, 15:13
Without getting rid of all the little stuff you think you need, but will get rid of later, you just cut 3.5 lbs out with those 3 things.

lol. You're probably right. I think I'll keep the pack but I'm using a lighter tent so I did get rid of 1.5 pounds. I plan to weight everything over the weekend so I'll post updated weights in a few days.

beakerman
04-15-2010, 16:02
umm a beaner for the bear bag? I use PCT method an have never used a beaner. I always just put a simple overnand loop inteh rope and I'm done. I never saw the need for the beaner...nor have I ever had the need for one in any other applicaiton except climbing and I know you're not taking those type with you.

SGT Rock
04-15-2010, 16:02
umm a beaner for the bear bag? I use PCT method an have never used a beaner. I always just put a simple overnand loop inteh rope and I'm done. I never saw the need for the beaner...nor have I ever had the need for one in any other applicaiton except climbing and I know you're not taking those type with you.

Same here. Just a loop on the bottom end of the bag is all I ever use.

wystiria
04-20-2010, 14:41
FYI we own a Hubba and packed it is not 3lbs for us. nope I think last weight had it at 2lbs 4oz. ***I have it mostly to lend out and have never slept in it lol

however you can get a lighter weight tent.

and as another female hiker I always have camp clothing - did it on my thru in 1998 and still do it section hiking. it just works for me.

Have a great hike!

Six-Six
04-20-2010, 15:55
My little suggestion is to photograph the guide, then leave the guide at home. Since you already have your camera, review the photograph of the guide. I bought a 2 gig card for my Olympus 1050sw and have never filled it. I can zoom in to read each page/paragraph. It might work with your PowerShot. At least remember to take a photo of your contact information in case you lose your camera, someone can review the pictures and send it back to its rightful owner.

danbarber
04-21-2010, 02:04
My little suggestion is to photograph the guide, then leave the guide at home. Since you already have your camera, review the photograph of the guide. I bought a 2 gig card for my Olympus 1050sw and have never filled it. I can zoom in to read each page/paragraph. It might work with your PowerShot. At least remember to take a photo of your contact information in case you lose your camera, someone can review the pictures and send it back to its rightful owner.

Good idea! I think I may just do this.

So everything is weighed and packed. Total weight is 12.5 pounds. A little heavier than I hoped but at this point I don't want to pare down anything else. After a few weeks of hiking and seeing what works/doesn't work maybe I'll be able to trim a little more. Thanks everyone for your help!