PDA

View Full Version : Exped DAM?

Valmet
10-16-2004, 17:00
Anyone here use a Exped DAM? Is it worth the price? Did you use it for hammocks? Thinking about getting one and would like input.
Thanks,

frankcornbread
10-16-2004, 17:15
Hi.
Here's a link to three in depth reviews. One in particular used the DAM w/ a hammock to good effect. Good luck.
FC

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Sleep%20Gear/Pads%20and%20Air%20Mattresses/EXPED%20Down%20Air%20Mattress/

jlb2012
10-16-2004, 18:31
yes - I use a full length Exped DAM in an Explorer Deluxe A-sym Hennessy Hammock. In the past I also used it in an older Safari Deluxe HH. The DAM works well for me in the Explorer Deluxe due to the greater angle of the diagonal permitting easy access to the entrance by just rolling off the DAM. In the Safari it was much more difficult to get out of the hammock - imagine trying to fold an air matress with your feet while laying on it.

Notes: 1.) it keeps me warmer than the other pads I have used -Thermarest Guidelite and LE as well as the old blue closed cell foam pad. 2.) it does not slip in the hammock - where you put it is where it is going to stay - if you want to shift it you have to get off the pad. 3.) the one I have is 20 inches wide so I use some extra clothes to help keep my shoulders warm 4.) to inflate the DAM I just stand in the entrance slit of the hammock and pump it up - the bag pump that the DAM comes with is fairly easy to work. 5.) the DAM is my preferred pad for colder times 6.) depending on the hammock the DAM may make you feel rather claustrophodic because it does occupy a fair bit of volume in the hammock - something to consider in the smaller hammocks - in my case I am using the larger hammocks and have not had any problem with that issue. 7.) I suspect that a top loader hammock user might want to use a wider pad that will wrap around the shoulders better

gardenville
10-16-2004, 19:57
Anyone here use a Exped DAM? Is it worth the price? Did you use it for hammocks? Thinking about getting one and would like input.
Thanks,

You might also want to look at the Stephenson's DAM. I have one and like it a lot. I also bought it for my hammock. It inflates a little different than the Exped and you would not have some of the problems that at least one Tester wrote about. I have some pictures in my Gallery here that shows my Stephenson's DAM and what is used to blow it up. I compared the two and bought the Stephenson's. Some of the pictures show it in my Speer Hammock.