PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Pad recommendations

Jeepxman
04-12-2010, 15:07
I was out on AT last week and seems not many use air type pads. Why is that and are the solid core type comfortable at all??? :confused:

Tin Man
04-12-2010, 15:16
I was out on AT last week and seems not many use air type pads. Why is that and are the solid core type comfortable at all??? :confused:

put the solid core pad under you in the hammock - it's like sleeping on air. :)

ChrisFol
04-12-2010, 15:17
Inflatable pads, generally speaking, are heavier than CCF and are also prone to leaks which means performing field maintenance and carrying a repair kit of some kind. Other issues include it sliding around and of course the case of it deflating during the night. Finally if you carry the stuff sack-- they are a royal pain in the rear to get back in.

A CCF can be cut down to fit your torso exactly, weighs less, costs less and is virtually indestructible. Not to mention that if you use a frameless pack, then it can be used to provide the frame and if you use an internal frame pack then you can strap it to the outside leaving more room inside of the pack. Downsides are that they are not as comfy as 3" inflatable pads, but that is down to the individual to determine. I sleep fine on both my Z-lite and ridgerest.

buz
04-13-2010, 09:33
Well, Chris is obviously happy with his CCF pads, good for him. I cannot sleep on them, too little padding.

I have had a number of TR pads, and now a Big Agnes pad, for over 20 years, and never had a leak. But I do carry a patch kit, just in case. Good duct tape would also work. And I have no problem getting them into the sack they come with, or don't use a sack. They pack smaller than CCF pads, depending on model. They are also more $ initially.

Tradeoffs on pads, like many other major gear choices, hope you get what works best for you.

white_russian
04-13-2010, 09:38
I can sleep on a hardwood floor if I need to so CCF works great for me. Some of the old folks out there actually need a blow up pad, but I think most folks are spoiled by their mattress back at home.

Roche
04-13-2010, 09:49
Some of the old folks out there actually need a blow up pad, but I think most folks are spoiled by their mattress back at home.How true. I'd gladly trade my self-inflating pad for 30 less years on my birth certificate.

The crock
04-13-2010, 10:13
[QUOTE=tppreston;1000176]How true. I'd gladly trade my self-inflating pad for 30 less years on my birth certificate.

The crock
04-13-2010, 10:15
RIGHT ON ! at 56 I use a 3" insulmat

The Old Chief
04-13-2010, 10:21
Comfort when sleeping does seem to coincide with your age. I could tolerate a lot of things in my twenties that now bother me in my sixties. I've seen a young guy sleeping on the shelter floor with no type of pad (I offered to get him a rock for a pillow) and I've seen a young ultralighter who couldn't sleep without a 2 1/2 lb thermarest. If enjoyment of your hike means you carry a heavy Exped-9 that's great, and if you can enjoy the same hike with a CCF that's even better.

Bags4266
04-13-2010, 10:21
Yea age has alot to do with your choice. I would rather use a light weight non-inflatable but my old rickity bone's won't.

Roche
04-13-2010, 11:03
That's why UL is a wash for me. The weight I save on gear just goes to my belly, therefore the need for creature comforts. :(

ChinMusic
04-13-2010, 12:41
Comfort when sleeping does seem to coincide with your age. I could tolerate a lot of things in my twenties that now bother me in my sixties. I've seen a young guy sleeping on the shelter floor with no type of pad (I offered to get him a rock for a pillow) and I've seen a young ultralighter who couldn't sleep without a 2 1/2 lb thermarest. If enjoyment of your hike means you carry a heavy Exped-9 that's great, and if you can enjoy the same hike with a CCF that's even better.
Good sleep is so important. I have learned that a 2.5" air pad works best for me. I don't like carrying a pad that weighs about the same as my shelter but I do like sleeping.

I'm going to try a Neo this year after others seem to have worked out the bugs in production for me.....thanks.

Mountain Wildman
04-13-2010, 12:56
I used a self inflating pad for many years, They are more reliable and better insulation. Then I tried an air mattress and that was the end of my pad, I brought it as a back up. In my opinion the air mattress is more comfortable and I deal with the insulation in other ways. I use the NeoAir Large with the Thermarest fitted sheet and a Big Agnes pillow. (And I keep the Fast and Light repair kit for it in my ditty pouch)

bflorac
04-13-2010, 23:44
Them-a-rest NeoAir is may saviour after using a self-inflating pad my first section hike!

Jeepxman
04-14-2010, 10:34
i guess it is an age thing... i will hang on to my BA air core but will make sure i have repair kit or tape. Sleep and good rest is vital to me. Thanks to al and have a belssed day!

brooklynkayak
04-14-2010, 21:46
When I was young I had no problems in any way with a closed cell pad. As others have stated, age requires more cush. I am now on a BA insul air core or a Stephenson Warmlite when it is cold out.
It is a pain dealing with the leaks, you got's to be very careful with blow ups, but at my age it is required to get decent sleep.

Foyt20
04-14-2010, 22:12
I Have a BA Air Core which is really comfortable. But, my issue is that i roll around a lot in my sleep, so i roll off of it too often and wake myself completely up, which is a pain in the ass.

I got a Z-Rest for xmas from my parents, and even though I have not slept on it in the outdoors yet, I have slept on it a couple of nights on hardwood floors, and have been completely comfortable, and woke up with no back pain, so that is a definite plus :D.

But of course HYOH. Try them both out and see what works for you.

brooklynkayak
04-14-2010, 23:23
I have slept on it a couple of nights on hardwood floors, and have been completely comfortable, and woke up with no back pain, so that is a definite plus :D..

I agree, for most people, they are the best choice and people should consider the closed cell foam pads. I used to swear by them until arthritis made it difficult to get a good nights rest.
Some of us have to look for more and more padding as we get older:mad:

K2
04-15-2010, 01:46
A Lot of people swear by the Zlite; I bought one, and it didn't work for me. Now I have a Big Agnes insulated core air pad; Heaven. K2

Tin Man
04-15-2010, 05:49
All you folks with those heavy inflatibles (been there, done that) ought to try a hammock. It improved my comfort level 1000% more than anything you can put on the ground. :cool:

Roche
04-15-2010, 08:36
All you folks with those heavy inflatibles (been there, done that) ought to try a hammock. It improved my comfort level 1000% more than anything you can put on the ground. :cool:I can't find a hammock that will fit inside my Contrail. :confused:

JAK
04-15-2010, 09:00
I use a cheap blue foam pad. In summer once I went without one and carried a light wool blanket instead, and something for a ground sheet. It was a nice change. It was heavier, but more versatile and easier to pack, and I carry so little in summer anyway.

garlic08
04-15-2010, 09:29
I think it depends on where you plan to sleep and on your site selection. On much of the AT, I found that no pad was needed at all. There was so much hardwood forest and the leaf duff was so thick in places I had to dig small pits to get my tent stakes to hold. But I could not sleep at all on the plank flooring in shelters with my six sections of cut-down Z-rest, so I didn't try it more than once. Same with the pounded tent sites near the shelters.

I've only met a few thru-hikers who have been able to get an inflatable pad to last a whole season without repair/replacement. It can be done, but it's tricky. If you're after reliability and light weight, it can also be done with careful site selection (or a hammock, of course).

seminoles
04-15-2010, 10:29
I use a BA air core which is thick and comfortable...the problem is that is slips and slides and folds in half..making a good night sleep impossible. I am looking into something else that might stay in place.

SteveJ
04-15-2010, 13:21
I normally hammock, but am having to go to ground as I take my son to Philmont this summer. I used my new large TR neo-air for the first time a few weeks ago. I slept!

mister krabs
04-15-2010, 13:47
In summer use a POE ether lite something or other 2/3 length mummy self inflating. I think it's called the peak oyl now. I like the side bars that keep you on it. It's 1 inch thick, good enough for forest floor. It's not as comfortable as my Thermarest classic (1.5in) or camp (3in) which I use in the winter, but it's only 13oz.

Tin Man
04-15-2010, 19:06
I normally hammock, but am having to go to ground as I take my son to Philmont this summer. I used my new large TR neo-air for the first time a few weeks ago. I slept!

why do you have to go to ground at philmont?? scouting doesn't allow you to share a tent with him.

The Unknown Hiker
04-16-2010, 15:52
I've used a Thermarest Pro-3 (short length) on three thru-hikes - never had a puncture or leak (watch where you lay it). I think that pad only weighs about 3-4 inches more than a full-length Z-rest (which can of course be cut down). The comfort of the air pad makes a major difference to me.

Also consider the R factor (insulating ability) I think the Prolite 3 is higher than the Z-rest and the Prolite 4 is definitely higher (but weighs more than the Prolite 3).

The Neo I've heard is a bit less durable - not sure.

Tip for the Thermarest - blow up all the way and lay down on it. Then slowly let out just enough air so your hips are at a comfortable height.

SteveJ
04-16-2010, 16:25
why do you have to go to ground at philmont?? scouting doesn't allow you to share a tent with him.

Hammocks are explicitly forbidden at Philmont (let's not get into it - they do things their way based on a lot of experience....). Actually, Scouting does allow me to share a tent with my son, but he will be tenting with a friend. I'll be on the ground in a tarptent......

ragincajun
04-18-2010, 07:27
i use a small 3/4 length foam pad weighs just 8 oz fits outside pack rolls up in 30 sec a good easy way to cut weight everybody has to find ways to make weight since more people carry way more gadgets than they used to they have to cut weight on easy stuff like sleeppads

russb
04-18-2010, 09:42
put the solid core pad under you in the hammock - it's like sleeping on air. :)

QFT
+1

message is too short

Feral Bill
04-18-2010, 12:34
I tried my old blue foam for a trip a couple of years ago. I can no longer sleep on it well. The short, thin thermarest is pretty light and works for me. Car camping I use the big fat Thermarest

STICK
04-18-2010, 14:27
I have 2 self inflating and a Synmat. My son has a Z-Lite, and I have a few ccfs. The ccfs would be the very last choice, both in terms of comfort as well as packability. If I am trying to cut down weight I carry one of the self inflatables which for me are plenty comfy, and for winter I have my synmat. I would be willing to carry the synmat anytimme except for maybe the dead middle of summer when its just to dang hot. I will be getting the small NeoAir for my Thru (in 2013, I have a while.)
In winter when it was really cold I would bring the ccf to layer under my self inflator, but now that I have the synmat, the ccf's are not really used much. I cut one down into squares that I will use as a sit pad.
Some that would be good to look into are the pads at Kooka Bay. Some nice Down Filled mats, that weigh less than the Expeds and are cheaper to.

skinewmexico
04-18-2010, 17:03
ctually, Scouting does allow me to share a tent with my son, but he will be tenting with a friend.

Good for you! Nothing undermines the patrol method like one boy off sleeping with daddy.

And I've used a POE Max Thermo (Ether Thermo 6) for 5 years without a leak. That is desert use, not lush forest use.

Tinker
04-18-2010, 23:43
i guess it is an age thing... i will hang on to my BA air core but will make sure i have repair kit or tape. Sleep and good rest is vital to me. Thanks to al and have a belssed day!

Good call. That's what I use when I have to share a tent with someone else. I carry a torso sized piece of closed cell foam for an unexpectedly cold night (used on top of the pad) or (used under the pad), for puncture protection on unusually rough ground.

Ccf does make a nice "doormat" for a hammock as well as a good sit pad, so it's worth having a small piece in the pack.

WalksInDark
07-17-2010, 23:53
Here is another weigh in from the "getting older" and "have damaged my body by using it" crowd: between my rotator cuff surgery; dual ACL repairs; and the fact that I have no meat on my hips or butte; I have gone the inflatable mattress route (in cooler weather, I even use one in my hammock).

I started with a Thermorest self inflating luxury camp (2.5" open foam with contoured plush top, 4.35#, R-7)
which has never leaked or been hard to put back into a regular size (not the one Thermorest ships them in) stuff sack.

But upon doing much more cold weather (do to -20) winter camping, I have recently switched to an Exped Downmat pump up pad. The pad is filled with 700 fill goose down weighs about 2.5# and has an R-8 insulating value. While the decrease in weight and increase in R value are nice, what really makes this pad extra special is that as you move around on it your sleeping bag does not slide off, nor do the air chambers distort and make you uncomfortable. I sleep on a Sleep Number mattress at home and the Exped DAM is almost as comfortable.

greentick
07-18-2010, 02:06
If I might be sleeping in a shelter I bring the POE max thermo. If ground sleeping I have a 3/4 zrest that works fine.

generoll
07-18-2010, 08:01
BA makes sleeping bags with pad pockets, so the rolling off your pad issue is pretty well taken care of.

Sassafras Lass
09-18-2010, 10:24
I seriously considered a self-inflating before going with my BA Insulated Air Core.

What made me lean towards full inflatible vs. self-inflating was pretty much the thickness. My BA pad weighs 18 oz. - a Thermarest Trail Lite regular is still 2 lbs. Then again, if you pick up the Thermarest Pro Lite, the small is only 17 oz. But for just about the same weight, I have a whole inch more padding, which my shoulders and hips very much appreciate. That's the main difference, as they are priced pretty comparably (unless you find a great sale, as I did - got my BA pad new for around $40, give or take a few bucks).

I've heard many great things about both styles, so I suppose it's a matter of which one has the best features (to you) and which one has a great sale :)

JAK
09-18-2010, 11:07
I've aways used a bluefoam pad, and I learned from this site to make a depression for my butt, which does help. Also works for your hip is you turn on your side. Putting something between you knees helps when you turn sideways also. I would like to try a hammock. Someday.

4eyedbuzzard
09-18-2010, 11:44
All you folks with those heavy inflatibles (been there, done that) ought to try a hammock. It improved my comfort level 1000% more than anything you can put on the ground. :cool:
Not debating the comfort aspect, but neither a NeoAir or BA is paricularly heavy.

JAK
09-18-2010, 16:04
In winter, fall and spring also, I go with a full width full length blue foam pad.
At 10oz for 72"x28" it fits my CF gortex bivy perfectly. Both are rectangular.
I have been thinking about tapering them both down at the feet but haven't yet.

It is nice to have all that insulated ground cover for just 10oz of weight.
It still fits my Jam2 like a tube also, althouth it takes up about 1/3 of its volume.
The Pinnacle would be the better choice for doing this sort of thing in winter.

Mags
09-19-2010, 20:40
Hammock does not work so well above treeline... ;)

Philip
09-20-2010, 13:31
I don't want to carry any more weight than I have to just like everyone else. But to me, if I don't get quality sleep, I don't enjoy the hike as much. I just don't sleep worth a darn on the CCF.

So, I got the Therm-a-Rest ProLite Plus Regular and have loved it! Relatively heavy at 24ozs, but packs down to the size of a football so it's easy to carry.

It's also got a 3.8 R-value, so I don't freeze on cold nights. Granted I haven't done any below freezing outings with it yet, but I theorize that if I get cold, I'll just put extra clothes under it to help insulate. Besides, I've got a 15 deg Marmot Helium to go with it, so with a wool hat, silk liner and even silk long undies (and even a heated water bottle if need be), I'd imagine I could do some pretty cold nights in relative comfort if I needed to.

Granted it is a bit of a pain to get it rolled up tight and stuffed back in it's compression sack, but the setup makes up for it. I just set up my tent, pull it out of the bag, and throw it through the door. Later when I'm ready to turn in, I just close the valve and enjoy.

I do worry about getting a hole in it, but so far so good. I just choose my tent site carefully and go over the ground to make sure there aren't any rocks or sticks under the tent. We'll see what happens on my thru next year, but just in case I plan to have another one on standby at home if I need it shipped out to me in a hurry.

I've been buying my Mom hiking gear ever since she got into it, so I'll get her one with the thought that I could filch it from her if I pop mine. (-:

IronGutsTommy
09-20-2010, 14:01
yeah the reason some are apprehensive about airbeds is because weve all had or seen an airmattress at home with their seemingly high 80 percent fail rate. thin camping airpads are alot more durable, basically the same thickness material being asked to hold considerably less. i honestly would do hammock camping but a hammock doesnt allow you to sleep in a flattened, straight line. im not finishing a 15 or 20 mile day and then sleeping in something that rolls my spine and body into a ball. to me hammocks are best in the backyard, for a nice long nap with a lemonade and a slight breeze.
heard it said climbing into a tent is like a bum climbing into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art. in that analogy, hammocking is when you see a bum sleeping on a park bench