PDA

View Full Version : Ula P-2?

kevin
10-16-2004, 19:05
Everything I've seen has great reviews for the ULA P-2...was wondering if anyone here had any feedback.

sleeveless
10-16-2004, 20:34
Kevin, I ran into Postcard and Krispy while I was day hiking on the At (they were nobo) both had the pack and loved it. They both have journals on Trail Journals.com and you could get their email's there and get fiirst hand info. I ordered one for my 2005 hike. Hope I made the right choice.

ndwoods
10-16-2004, 23:42
I have been using one for about 3 seasons now...I would say roughly 1,000 miles. It rocks! Comfortable full suspension, nifty features and light! Dee

chris
10-17-2004, 03:41
See my recent review for the P1-x here. The P2 has a full frame sheet, and a few other goodies, but is very similar. If you can't make the weight for a P1, a P2 would be perfect for the AT, or any other long trip.

hiker dude
10-17-2004, 07:49
See my recent review for the P1-x here. The P2 has a full frame sheet, and a few other goodies, but is very similar. If you can't make the weight for a P1, a P2 would be perfect for the AT, or any other long trip.
I got a top pocket and water bottle option, just ain't cool enough without those luxurys. Respeck:sun

Singletrack
10-17-2004, 09:30
I stopped in at Walaysy Yi at Neels Gap yesterday, and they have the ULA P1 and P2 in stock. If I were rich....

Blue Sky II
10-17-2004, 10:22
A sweet pack! Used one for the first 800 miles of the PCT this year and it easily carried extra desert water weight to 35 lbs. A nice carry!
On the AT, a P-1 was large enough for me. Not sure, but P-1's may have been downsized this year.
Blue Sky II

Kerosene
10-17-2004, 12:58
I was going to go with a P-2 last year, but they had an 8-week backlog that didn't work for my schedule, so I went with the Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3235). I liked a number of the available options, especially the hipbelt pockets.

chris
10-17-2004, 13:21
The P1 got downsized last year and lost a significant bit of space. Still, plentry adequate for the AT. Current price on the P1 is like 125, which isn't particularly expensive.

fuzz
10-17-2004, 13:23
I have put in about 200 miles on my P2 so far. Very happy with it. The option for converting the top lid (optional) and hip belt into a daypack has been very useful. The hip belt pockets are the cat's pajamas too. I've had up to 40 lbs in the pack and it was still fairly comfortable but I wouldn't go above that.

hiker dude
10-17-2004, 16:26
[ If I were rich....[/QUOTE]
You don't know want to know what rich does. one thing, he don't know what a ULA P1 or P2 is for all his life on a bet. Nope old Rich got his Yellow Hummer stuck down in the creek at Neels Gap drunk on coke and the cops are coming big time before everyone kills him. Right?:banana

kevin
10-17-2004, 19:06
Thanks for all the feedback guys. Think one of these might go on my christmas list for myself.

Clark Fork
10-18-2004, 01:02
I thought this gear review was particularly helpful. In the body of the review, the author discusses the targeted market defining the market as segmented into ultra-light, lightweight and heavy traditionional packers. I had not seen this hierarchy of hiking backpacking styles so well explained.

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Packs/Internal%20and%20External%20Framed%20Backpacks/ULA%20Equipment%20P-2/Dennis%20Gass/Initial%20Report%20ULA%20P-2%20by%20Dennis%20Gass/

The following is a verbatim quote from the review:

"The lightweight backpacker is in my opinion the fastest growing category of serious (someone backpacking more than twice per year) backpacker. To place some definition around the three categories of backpackers let's define two types of pack weight. First, a base pack weight independent of the length of trip and including the pack, shelter, sleeping, packed clothing, cooking and water, and any other essential and miscellaneous gear carried in the pack less food and fuel. Adding food and fuel to the base pack weight equals the total pack weight. The ultralighter typically targets a base pack weight close to nine pounds and a total pack weight of 19 pounds. The traditional heavyweight backpacker is typically carrying a base pack weight in excess of 30 pounds and 50 pounds or more total pack weight. The lightweight backpacker fits nicely in the middle of these two extremes with a base pack weight targeting 20 pounds and a total six (6) day pack weight of 33 pounds. The ultralight and lightweight backpackers have clearly spent significant time researching their equipment and in most cases have probably started as a heavyweight backpacker replacing gear at least one time as they change backpacking styles. I have found that the heaviest marketed products, and quite frankly the most expensive gear
targets the heavyweight backpacker. " (again the preceding was a direct quote)

With this hierarchy in mind it is helping me fine tune my equipment selection in this AT feasibility study I am undertaking. There have been so many changes, I am having trouble even with the fundamentals such as the tent/hammock decision. The external/internal was an easy one. In the old days (20 years ago) I had a Kelty external and was the first in my neighborhood to have an internal pack. It was from a company called Synergy that I don't see has made the cut these days. I was sold on the internal a long time ago. In terms of going ultra-light or lightweight, my nature is that I would tend to be in the center making some selections from the ultra-light list where appropriate but trading some weight gain for comfort, convenience or safety. In the case of the P-2, having the hip belt pockets seem to be a worthy addition worth the extra weight for convenience. Another thing is becoming clear in evaluating gear and that is technology is driving changes and gear manufactureres are improving all the time. Prices are advancing also. I gather from the review, the price for the P-2last year was $150.00. With regards to the P-2, I am wondering if it might be better to stay with a GG Vapor Trail off of e-bay for under $125.00 or some lesser priced similar lightweight model and then wait for the new P-2 Model that is sure to come in 2005 or 2006. I guess it is those decisions that dog everyone assembling a backpacking package. Anyway, from what I have been able to gather so far the P-2 is on my A list.

Regards,

Clark Fork in Western Montana

dje97001
10-18-2004, 12:25
I bought 2 of these (one for me and one for my wife) this year, we used them several times over the summer. They are great. I would put the upper limit around 40 lbs as well... Realistically I felt great until I went above about 35 lbs, then it started to strain my back a bit. At or below 35 lbs, it barely feels like you have a pack on. The suspension seems to be doing its job. The hipbelt pockets--as others have said now--are AWESOME. From your camera, to your trailmix bag... bug spray, sun block, whatever... so useful. The hydration sleeve fits a 3 L bladder even though it isn't listed as doing so. Great pack, worth the money, I would make that decision again in a heart beat.

snarbles
12-30-2004, 22:18
I'm about to order a ULA-P2 within the next month. Any reasons why a converted heavyweight, but not yet ultra-light backpacker should not get one?

Footslogger
12-30-2004, 22:47
It was actually too big for me. What I mean is that the capacity was more than I needed. Impressed with the pack (and the company) and ended up buying the ULA Fusion after my thru-hike in 2003.

I just figured if I had the P2 I'd be tempted to put too much stuff in it and drive my pack weight upward unecessarily. I opted for the Granite Gear Vapor Trail on my thru. A full pound lighter and handled everything I needed to carry.

'Slogger
AT 2003

PKH
12-30-2004, 22:50
No reasons at all. I've got about 1500 miles on mine now, and it's still going strong. I'm not an ultra lighter either - my pack weight ranges from 17 to 30 lbs depending on the numbers of days out. This is a fine pack, and you can expect excellent customer service from Brian of ULA as well. Good luck.

Cheers,

PKH

snarbles
12-31-2004, 01:11
Just received mine a few days ago. I have loaded it up as I am a "Light" philosophy backpacker. With a weeks worth of water and food, it came in at about 40lbs total. Not bad.

Point is, this pack is the perfect Light backpacker backpack. Not sure about through hiking, but it would probably work.

This pack is a very well thought out backpack. It is evident in it's attention to detail. It is expensive but it can haul a decent load with ease.

I'll post again after I field test it more.

snarbles
04-03-2005, 16:03
Just tested mine out on a 2 day backpacking trip here in Texas. One thing is for sure, it definitely does not carry very well at anything above 40lbs. The shoulder straps began cutting into my arms and were causing me grief. I think it was due to the overloaded pack (had to carry some group gear). Not sure but my torso length is about 21" and should have fit the "Large" I ordered perfectly. I think the hipbelt pretty much only can hold about 33lbs or so and was not holding enough weight off of my shoulders.

Any suggestions as to why the pack was cutting into my shoulders?

Here is a pic:
http://libbles.dyndns.org/gallery/album13/4Notch020

PKH
04-03-2005, 17:50
As several others have pointed out, 40 lbs is the upper limit for this pack, and I'm sure I would feel some discomfort at that weight. I believe the most I have carried in my P2 was about 32 lbs, over very rugged terrain. This was a full week's worth of supplies. In general, I find this pack very comfortable in the mid twenty lb range; I will try really hard to ensure 30 lbs is my maximum load.

Cheers,

PKH

snarbles
04-03-2005, 18:16
Yeah, it seems the hip belt really doesn't support as much weight as posted (40 lbs). I had about 45lbs starting off (lots of water) and it was quite painful. I would never recommend going over 40lbs.

cutman11
04-03-2005, 21:06
Just tested mine out on a 2 day backpacking trip here in Texas. One thing is for sure, it definitely does not carry very well at anything above 40lbs. The shoulder straps began cutting into my arms and were causing me grief. I think it was due to the overloaded pack (had to carry some group gear). Not sure but my torso length is about 21" and should have fit the "Large" I ordered perfectly. I think the hipbelt pretty much only can hold about 33lbs or so and was not holding enough weight off of my shoulders.

Any suggestions as to why the pack was cutting into my shoulders?

Here is a pic:
http://libbles.dyndns.org/gallery/album13/4Notch020From your photo, it seems you have the shoulder straps adjusted too tight, not using the sternum strap and looks like your hip belt is too low. If you get the hip belt higher on your waist(or lower it down on the pack) then the shoulder straps can be loosened a bit, and the load elevator straps (at a 45 degree angle tightened) should take some of the "cutting" off your shoulders. Ideally, the shoulder straps should be a bit more centered on your collar bones, then it won't cut in as much. With the pack adjusted as I described, i've had no problems carrying 40lb. I dont plan to go more than that, and my base weight when food depleted and water out will be about 20, so my avg would be 30. If you gotta carry more than that, you end up needing a heavier pack to carry the excess weight, and that adds more weight..... also, your pack appears to have been packed with heavy items toward the back and high rather than close to your backand low, which is pulling the pack away from your back and adding to the shoulder tension

Lilred
04-03-2005, 21:38
I just ordered a P-2 from Mountain Crossings at Neel Gap. Finished a section hike there on Friday and had them fit it to me. Walked around with 30 pounds in it and it felt great!.. Can't wait for it's arrival. Hopefully I'll be at Trail days and will get a chance to hike with it then. If I get it by this Friday, I'll take it on a day hike fully loaded and see how she handles. I'll post a review about it here.

snarbles
04-04-2005, 11:56
From your photo, it seems you have the shoulder straps adjusted too tight, not using the sternum strap and looks like your hip belt is too low. If you get the hip belt higher on your waist(or lower it down on the pack) then the shoulder straps can be loosened a bit, and the load elevator straps (at a 45 degree angle tightened) should take some of the "cutting" off your shoulders. Ideally, the shoulder straps should be a bit more centered on your collar bones, then it won't cut in as much. With the pack adjusted as I described, i've had no problems carrying 40lb. I dont plan to go more than that, and my base weight when food depleted and water out will be about 20, so my avg would be 30. If you gotta carry more than that, you end up needing a heavier pack to carry the excess weight, and that adds more weight..... also, your pack appears to have been packed with heavy items toward the back and high rather than close to your backand low, which is pulling the pack away from your back and adding to the shoulder tension

Good advice. I'll try adjusting the pack, and you are correct the heavier items were on the top. I'm guessing moving them to the bottom would work much better at distributing the weight. I did start using the sternum strap and it helped a little bit, but was still having the cutting problems a bit.

snarbles
04-27-2005, 19:03
Readjusted the straps according to the instructions and it has made quite an improvement (RTFM). However it still maybe a bit to short for my torso. I was wondering if someone could post a link to some pics showing how this pack should ride and be adjusted near the top of the shoulder straps. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lilred
04-27-2005, 20:09
I took my new ULA P-2 on a day hike and if performed wonderfully. I am very pleased with this pack. I had about 27 pounds in it and I was very comfortable. The two side mesh pockets hold an incredible amount. One pocket holds my tent and headlamp, the other holds my thermarest, camp chair and alcohol bottle. I still have room to add my 'extras' bag as well. My Frogg Togg rain jacket fits into the large mesh pocket along with my water filter and my deet. There's room for more as well. The two hipbelt pockets are fantastic. I carry my camera and map in one and snacks and knife in the other, and there is still room for a couple of other little things; comb, glasses?
That leaves plenty of room on the inside for the rest of the stuff.

I'm taking it on an overnighter this weekend. This pack looks small, but it holds quite a bit. Mine does not have the top pocket and I don't need it. I also opted to pass on the bladder sleeve, can't stand that plastic taste from those tubes. This pack has a ring on each shoulder strap where I've latched on two- one liter bottles. Works great.

Snarbles,
Make sure you are not pulling the load lifter straps too tightly. You should cinch them just to where you feel the load lift up, but no more. Pulling those straps too taut will cause pinching under your arms.