PDA

View Full Version : Baltimore Jack's maildrop article

Lint
04-12-2010, 19:26
Does anyone remember seeing an article (written by B. Jack?) about the 5 or 6 places it was nice to have a maildrop sent? It was a kind of quick, "these are the places it makes sense to send food even if you buy as you go" type article. I swear I read it on this website a few years back, but can't find it to forward it on. Any leads on the actual link to that article?

BigFoot2002
04-12-2010, 19:36
Click on forums, then on articles.

Spokes
04-12-2010, 19:37
Look under "AT Re-Supply" in the left hand column HERE (http://whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=content) .

Ron Haven
04-12-2010, 23:29
Look under "AT Re-Supply" in the left hand column HERE (http://whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=content) .for Hiawassee Inn guest sending boxes to Franklin you don't have to pay shipping.I will take them to Budget Inn free.

Lint
04-13-2010, 17:14
Yes, I see the articles he wrote telling of every resupply option, but I thought I remember there being one that was more specific. It was a short article detailing the few places where a maildrop would be nice, even if you plan to buy as you go. Maybe I'm not explaining it well enough, because I can't even figure out how to search for it.

I'll go through the multi page articles, it's no big deal, just thought someone else might of remembered what I'm talking about.

DapperD
04-13-2010, 19:19
Does anyone remember seeing an article (written by B. Jack?) about the 5 or 6 places it was nice to have a maildrop sent? It was a kind of quick, "these are the places it makes sense to send food even if you buy as you go" type article. I swear I read it on this website a few years back, but can't find it to forward it on. Any leads on the actual link to that article?I don't know wether I copied this down from Baltimore Jack's article or I saw this information elsewhere, but I wrote down the suggested post offices where a maildrop would/could be most beneficial. The spots that I have are Fontana Dam (plan for 6-7 days worth of food for the GSMNP), Harper's Ferry, Port Clinton, Delaware Water Gap, Bear Mountain (although I believe someone may have said this is too far off trail?),and Glencliff. Also I think someone suggested to send home your winter gear around Pearisburg, and have your winter gear sent to Glencliff for resupply. Realize that some will disagree with using any maildrops, or only a few, as re-supply has been stated to be by experienced thru-hikers as relatively easy to accomplish enroute except for specialized food and/or equipment needs. Also to keep in mind is the fact that post offices are not the only locations that a hiker can have maildrops sent to, and also the fact that the post office hours can dictate and limit when one can retrieve their parcels.

DapperD
04-13-2010, 19:32
I don't know wether I copied this down from Baltimore Jack's article or I saw this information elsewhere, but I wrote down the suggested post offices where a maildrop would/could be most beneficial. The spots that I have are Fontana Dam (plan for 6-7 days worth of food for the GSMNP), Harper's Ferry, Port Clinton, Delaware Water Gap, Bear Mountain (although I believe someone may have said this is too far off trail?),and Glencliff. Also I think someone suggested to send home your winter gear around Pearisburg, and have your winter gear sent to Glencliff for resupply. Realize that some will disagree with using any maildrops, or only a few, as re-supply has been stated to be by experienced thru-hikers as relatively easy to accomplish enroute except for specialized food and/or equipment needs. Also to keep in mind is the fact that post offices are not the only locations that a hiker can have maildrops sent to, and also the fact that the post office hours can dictate and limit when one can retrieve their parcels.Sorry Lint, didn't realize you are an experienced thru-hiker till after my first post, you are right however about there being an article about these suggested spots, but I unfortunately don't know where it is. :-? Good Luck

Jack Tarlin
04-13-2010, 20:57
Lint:

I might be wrong, but you might be thinking of a recent thread called "Worst towns for Re-Supply" in which people talk about the handful of places (there's only a few) where it might be a good idea to send a food parcel. Hope this helps.

DapperD
04-13-2010, 21:45
Yes, I see the articles he wrote telling of every resupply option, but I thought I remember there being one that was more specific. It was a short article detailing the few places where a maildrop would be nice, even if you plan to buy as you go. Maybe I'm not explaining it well enough, because I can't even figure out how to search for it.

I'll go through the multi page articles, it's no big deal, just thought someone else might of remembered what I'm talking about.Lint, I believe I located a thread from which I garnered my previous information, not sure though if this was what you remember:http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17050&highlight=glencliff+maildrop