PDA

View Full Version : Strange man on trail near mile 527/partnership shelter

ShelterLeopard
04-12-2010, 22:11
Hey everyone- I was just at partnership shelter in So Va, there is a very strange man hanging out there. His stories do not match up, he won't answer questions straight and seems to exhibit psychopathic tendancies. (just trust me on this one, there is something weird about this guy) he said he had been on trail for five days, but we know he has not and he has no sleeping bag or food or hiker gear, lots of things don't add up so three of us made up a story and busted out of there and into town, notified the local police (left a message, they didn't pick up this late at night and we didn't think we should call 911). A trail angel who picked us up said she would notify the ATC and a ranger friend.

Please be careful here- this guy says he is leaving on a bus soon, but just keep an eye out in the area. Just a heads up. (I hope it was okay for me to write this here, didn't know what else to do). Be safe.

CrumbSnatcher
04-12-2010, 22:17
good move getting out of there

bullseye
04-12-2010, 22:18
Smart move gettin' out of there if you got a bad vibe, Shlep. Better safe than sorry.

white_russian
04-12-2010, 22:34
So you ran into a real bona fide drifter. As long as he is not doing anything illegal he has every right to exist on the trail as anyone else, even if he is creepy.

It is just like any other day on the trail, if you don't like the vibe you move on.

If you really want to help someone call the church, not the cops.

srestrepo
04-12-2010, 22:35
good move moving on shlep, glad to see you're staying safe, see you in mass!

RGB
04-12-2010, 22:43
So you ran into a real bona fide drifter. As long as he is not doing anything illegal he has every right to exist on the trail as anyone else, even if he is creepy.

It is just like any other day on the trail, if you don't like the vibe you move on.

If you really want to help someone call the church, not the cops.

You can never be too careful.

ShelterLeopard
04-12-2010, 22:51
Just trust me- this guy was NOT a drifter and there was something very wrong. I trusted my gut (and the two guys with me were on the exact same page). I have met a couple drifters- often a little off, but harmless. Nothing like this guy.

sheepdog
04-12-2010, 22:53
hi shlep
glad you're ok

oh yeah updat your tJ :D

Lone Wolf
04-12-2010, 23:41
paranoia big destroyer

Panzer1
04-12-2010, 23:55
there is a very strange man hanging out there.

Maybe he's from Billville. :eek:

Panzer

Panzer1
04-12-2010, 23:56
But seriously it was a good idea for you to get out of there and notify the authorities.

Panzer

Lone Wolf
04-12-2010, 23:58
But seriously it was a good idea for you to get out of there and notify the authorities

why? because he acts a little "off"? not cool

Panzer1
04-13-2010, 00:05

who said he was a "little off"? where did you get that.

she said "seems to exhibit psychopathic tendancies".

Panzer

papa john
04-13-2010, 06:23

Right. I suppose it would have been uncool to report Randall Lee Smith handing around Wapiti Shelter huh?

Lone Wolf
04-13-2010, 07:33
Right. I suppose it would have been uncool to report Randall Lee Smith handing around Wapiti Shelter huh?

yeah i guess i'll call the cops on anyone who looks like they may have dope on them at the hostel

neighbor dave
04-13-2010, 07:39
i wonder why ya never see strange chicks on the trail:-?.
anywho, budgets are tight, maybe he was thrown out of the nuthouse due to lack of funding:-?

kanga
04-13-2010, 07:43
good choice on getting outta there girl. i came across a nut bag once in 96 and my gut had warning bells going off like crazy. my blue heeler that loved everybody went absolutely ape **** and i listened to her and got the hell away from him. turned out he caused some major issues on down the trail.

TOW
04-13-2010, 08:07
Hey everyone- I was just at partnership shelter in So Va, there is a very strange man hanging out there. His stories do not match up, he won't answer questions straight and seems to exhibit psychopathic tendancies. (just trust me on this one, there is something weird about this guy) he said he had been on trail for five days, but we know he has not and he has no sleeping bag or food or hiker gear, lots of things don't add up so three of us made up a story and busted out of there and into town, notified the local police (left a message, they didn't pick up this late at night and we didn't think we should call 911). A trail angel who picked us up said she would notify the ATC and a ranger friend.

Please be careful here- this guy says he is leaving on a bus soon, but just keep an eye out in the area. Just a heads up. (I hope it was okay for me to write this here, didn't know what else to do). Be safe.Get use to those encounters, they seem to be a common trail experience...........

TOW
04-13-2010, 08:09
why? because he acts a little "off"? not coolexactly.....

TOW
04-13-2010, 08:13
i wonder why ya never see strange chicks on the trail:-?.
anywho, budgets are tight, maybe he was thrown out of the nuthouse due to lack of funding:-?I have met plenty of strange ladies hiking thru here. There are some psycho gals out there for sure..........

As far as that goes there are psycho gals lurking here on Whiteblaze as well.........:D

Jaybird
04-13-2010, 08:14
WOW!...if i had to "MOVE ONE" everytime i encountered a WEIRD hiker....i'd NEVER stop! hehehehehehe:D

see ya'll out there Apr 24-May 8
Clarks Valley,PA up to Greenwood Lake,NY
w/ "Jigsaw"

Lone Wolf
04-13-2010, 08:16
there is a very strange man hanging out there. His stories do not match up, he won't answer questions straight and seems to exhibit psychopathic tendancies. (just trust me on this one, there is something weird about this guy)

unless he threatened to rape, murder or assault you or others there's no reason to call the cops.

Roche
04-13-2010, 08:25
unless he threatened to rape, murder or assault you or others there's no reason to call the cops.Her call - she was there. What's the worse that could happen (if he is harmless), he gets interviewed by authorities?

mtnkngxt
04-13-2010, 08:26
There were a few oddballs out on the trail this weekend, one of which was me. :D

The Old Fhart
04-13-2010, 08:30
neighbor dave-"i wonder why ya never see strange chicks on the trail:-?"I've met, and many others have also met, "The Queen Of England" on the trail. When I met her she had her tent set up right next to the trail and had 2 rollaway suitcases for gear. I talked to her for a few minutes, long enough to see everything wasn't quite right although she seemed nice enough at that moment.

When I was attempting the JMT in 1995 I thumbed from Tuolumne Meadows back to the valley and got a ride with a woman who was going to Washington because she had heard all the homeless shelters there served vegan, The cops wouldn't hastle you, and there were portable toilets on every street corner. She was deathly afraid of heights and there are no guardrails on that road that has big drop-offs so if another car was coming she would jerk the steering wheel back and forth and she wouldn't blow the horn but she would yell: "Toot-toot, get out of the way". There is more but I considered her pretty strange. Fortunately for me her old van (that had no passenger seat) overheated and I had to get out and catch another ride.

berkshirebirder
04-13-2010, 08:38
I saw her too

neighbor dave
04-13-2010, 08:48
saw this guy on the p.c.t. in "08"., yes he was carrying all that baggage,
this isn't my photo of him he's the guy on the right
http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/download.php?id=217850657_696d80da54&p=406109

Gray Blazer
04-13-2010, 08:51
I have met plenty of strange ladies hiking thru here. There are some psycho gals out there for sure..........

As far as that goes there are psycho gals lurking here on Whiteblaze as well.........:D

You wish.....

Blue Jay
04-13-2010, 08:56
You can stop worrying, I went home.:welcome

HikerMom58
04-13-2010, 09:01
Ok....you have hit a "nerve" with me. Lone Wolf....I met a very strange man on McAfee Knob 2 years ago. He was definately exhibiting psychopathic tendancies. He sounds very much like the guy ShelterLeopard describes. Let me put it to you this way....these mentally ill people ARE potentially dangerous to themselves and others.

Just because they haven't harmed anyone or themselves, doesn't mean that it couldn't happen at anytime. These people need help!!! THey are SICK!! Just because you can't SEE their illness doesn't mean they don't need treatment.

Would "we" leave a person with a broken leg out on the trail to fend for himself/herself and feel OK about it? I think NOT. We would do everything in our power to get them help. The mentally ill are no different except for the nature of their illness, they could be a danger to themselves or others. We need to protect ourselves.

You did the right thing ShelterLeopard!! Now, lets hope that someone can talk him into getting the help he needs. BTW ShelterLeopard the man I met ,that needed help, was about 6 feet tall, balding with long hair, brown eyes, really thin and went by the name JJ or John. His story didn't match up either as to why he was out there hiking, 2 years ago. His eyes was the "dead give away" as to how sick he really is. Another ridgerunner that met him said the same thing about him... "you can see the illness in his eyes." Everyone be careful!!

papa john
04-13-2010, 09:14
yeah i guess i'll call the cops on anyone who looks like they may have dope on them at the hostel

Works for me.

Yukon
04-13-2010, 09:17
When I was attempting the JMT in 1995 I thumbed from Tuolumne Meadows back to the valley and got a ride with a woman who was going to Washington because she had heard all the homeless shelters there served vegan, The cops wouldn't hastle you, and there were portable toilets on every street corner. She was deathly afraid of heights and there are no guardrails on that road that has big drop-offs so if another car was coming she would jerk the steering wheel back and forth and she wouldn't blow the horn but she would yell: "Toot-toot, get out of the way". There is more but I considered her pretty strange. Fortunately for me her old van (that had no passenger seat) overheated and I had to get out and catch another ride.

Now that's a good story LOL....

papa john
04-13-2010, 09:18
Ok....you have hit a "nerve" with me. Lone Wolf....I met a very strange man on McAfee Knob 2 years ago. He was definately exhibiting psychopathic tendancies. He sounds very much like the guy ShelterLeopard describes. Let me put it to you this way....these mentally ill people ARE potentially dangerous to themselves and others.

Just because they haven't harmed anyone or themselves, doesn't mean that it couldn't happen at anytime. These people need help!!! THey are SICK!! Just because you can't SEE their illness doesn't mean they don't need treatment.

Would "we" leave a person with a broken leg out on the trail to fend for himself/herself and feel OK about it? I think NOT. We would do everything in our power to get them help. The mentally ill are no different except for the nature of their illness, they could be a danger to themselves or others. We need to protect ourselves.

You did the right thing ShelterLeopard!! Now, lets hope that someone can talk him into getting the help he needs. BTW ShelterLeopard the man I met ,that needed help, was about 6 feet tall, balding with long hair, brown eyes, really thin and went by the name JJ or John. His story didn't match up either as to why he was out there hiking, 2 years ago. His eyes was the "dead give away" as to how sick he really is. Another ridgerunner that met him said the same thing about him... "you can see the illness in his eyes." Everyone be careful!!

Also, they won't give you any warning that they are going to explode in a fit of rage and "rape, murder or assault you or others". I doubt that RLS gave anyone any notice of his intent. Merely pulled out a gun and started shooting. Use your best judgment and at the least pack up and move on.

Mrs Baggins
04-13-2010, 09:35
Not a trail story but it confirms that "gut feeling" that you should always listen to.........had a neighbor in Arizona, middle-aged woman, married, 2 sons. She befriended me because our kids were friends. There were few outward signs that something was wrong but I had a bad feeling about her every time she was around. She would occasionally just say something that wasn't right or do something - like invite me over and then not allow me in the house, or buy some fund-raising thing from one of my kids and pay with a bag full of dimes. While those things weren't outward symbols of something to be really worried about, she still made the hairs go up and "warning warning" go off in my head. We moved to Colorado and a couple of months later we got the news - her family awoke one morning to find the house on fire (she had started it) and her standing over one son with an ax. He fought her off in time and now she lives in a home for the criminally crazy. I had told a few very close friends that I was afraid of her, that I always thought I'd find her at MY door with something like an ax and everyone said I was imagining things. Turned out I was exactly right and it could well have been me had we still been living there.

Roche
04-13-2010, 09:37
Lone Wolf does like to "stir things up". Perhaps he gets a commission on replys to his posts.:-?

Pedaling Fool
04-13-2010, 09:39
... Or maybe he was a sociopath (http://www.diffen.com/difference/Psychopath_vs_Sociopath) :-?

Personally I don't like to throw those terms around loosely, rather just to say: "...my gut said that person was not right" and leave it at that.

Fact is we are surrounded by these types of people, but best to keep your fear in check and simply use common sense and always be ready to defend yourself.

TD55
04-13-2010, 09:42
Lone Wolf does like to "stir things up". Perhaps he gets a commission on replys to his posts.:-?

Also he is a Marine Corps vet, long distance hiker and biker. He may have a bit of a different perspective on things than a 19 year old girl.:rolleyes:

ShelterLeopard
04-13-2010, 09:48

who said he was a "little off"? where did you get that.

she said "seems to exhibit psychopathic tendancies".

Panzer

Pretty much what we all figured.

Yeah. Not the same thing.

unless he threatened to rape, murder or assault you or others there's no reason to call the cops.

We figured we'd call and let the cops know (just the area guys, not 911 or anything) that there was someone weird hanging around just in case anything happened.

I feel like I made the right call, and that's all there is to it.

Just because someone isn't waving an ax or gun in your faces does not mean that they are harmless.

Roche
04-13-2010, 09:54
Fear not young lady - you did the right thing. A few of the posts are for "entertainment purposes only".

white_russian
04-13-2010, 10:02
Her call - she was there. What's the worse that could happen (if he is harmless), he gets interviewed by authorities?

A prodding cop would only send the person deeper into their problems. Sure if you just want to remove the offending object from your sight a cop will work, but if you actually want to help them you need someone that can show compassion and not just judge them.

Like I said before, call the church. If the parson thinks a gun and handcuffs are necessary let them decide.

Manwich
04-13-2010, 10:02
Yeah. Not the same thing.

Except it's exactly the same thing. Lone Wolf suspects somebody's up to something DASTERDLY!!!! Therefore he NEEDS TO INFORM THE AUTHORITIES AT ALL COST FOR THE SAKE OF AMERICAN FREEDUM! JUST LIKE YOU! WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

Just because someone isn't waving an ax or gun in your faces does not mean that they are harmless.

Just because somebody isn't wearing a Patagonia Shirt and perfume and doesn't want to answer your interrogation doesn't mean he's a menace to society. Seems like you're the one stirring up the trouble.

Wasn't there another thread about this type of incident where some teenage girls were spooked by a guy on the trail?

Yup: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55515

De Ja Vu. MYOB people and if all yous got is the wrong feelin about a guy/girl or situation, keep your distance. Don't take it upon yourself to inject your just-hand into someone's space. I'd be pissed as hell at Mary Jane R.C. if she thought her civic duty was to call the cops on me because I didn't "answer her correctly."

Lone Wolf
04-13-2010, 10:04
Manwich gets it

Lone Wolf
04-13-2010, 10:05

sure. whatever you say :rolleyes:

tucker0104
04-13-2010, 10:10
I would've just moved on. I usually hike with a small pistol for some security.

double d
04-13-2010, 10:14
If someone gives you the impression that they aren't behaving in a normal way, then move on. In town we can cross the street or drive away from the area, at home, we lock the doors, but on the trail, we are alone in sharing space with someone we think is dangerous or could be. Its only common sense to move on, even if you've had a long day of hiking.

ChinMusic
04-13-2010, 10:20
ShLep did the right thing in following her gut and leaving. ShLep did the right thing in contacting authorities.

She didn't arrest anyone. She didn't detain anyone. All she did was contact authorities. If the authorities follow up or blow it off that is their call.

think0075
04-13-2010, 10:24
i didnt notice but is anyone who saw the character in question a psychologist or psychiatrist? otherwise i think it is a tad bit absurd for you to classify him as pschycopathic or whatever word you used because your not qualified to make that judgement, you have no idea whether or not that person is mentally ill. If you feel uncomfortable around a person that leave but for to call the cops and then alert everyone in the hiking communitty because you had some hunch is irresponsible. you will meet plenty of strange people on the trail, if you dont feel comfortable then move on and mind your own business and let them do the same. the last thing we need are "trail monitors" going around classifying whether or not people are mentally capable of being on the trail or not. Its is 2,175 miles long my guess would be that there is more than enough room on the trail.

Lone Wolf
04-13-2010, 10:25
think0075 gets it

Lone Wolf
04-13-2010, 10:26
ShLep did the right thing in contacting authorities.

in your opinion

ShelterLeopard
04-13-2010, 10:30
A prodding cop would only send the person deeper into their problems. Sure if you just want to remove the offending object from your sight a cop will work, but if you actually want to help them you need someone that can show compassion and not just judge them.

Like I said before, call the church. If the parson thinks a gun and handcuffs are necessary let them decide.

To be honest, I wasn't concerned about his safety at all, just mine and the safety of my friends. (Selfish? Yeah)

Just because somebody isn't wearing a Patagonia Shirt and perfume and doesn't want to answer your interrogation doesn't mean he's a menace to society. Seems like you're the one stirring up the trouble..

You weren't there man.

ShelterLeopard
04-13-2010, 10:35
SO anyway, I really don't care who thinks I didn't do the right thing, the whole purpose of this post was to just let people who'll be in the area know that there's someone out there who made me (and two grown men) very uncomfortable, not to spark conversation.

The guy felt dangerous, I left. It is your call what you do.

(My friends couldn't help thinking of Randall Lee Smith.) He did a lot of things I didn't mention, long and short, I feel justified. My safety comes first, I don't care if this guy'll be pissed about me mentioning his name to the cops.

think0075
04-13-2010, 10:35
another thru hiker thinking only bout themselves exactly what we need. you must be the one taking all the goodies left by trail angels before the rest of us get there.

think0075
04-13-2010, 10:36
I don't care if this guy'll be pissed about me mentioning his name to the cops.[/QUOTE]
until he catches up to you

Alligator
04-13-2010, 10:43
Warning provided, authorities notified. Any other relevant information send it to me and or a mod and it will get posted.