PDA

View Full Version : Class of 2013

STICK
04-12-2010, 23:16
Yeah, it's early, but 3 years from today, I will be on the trail.....

So, I am getting the Class of 2013 thread going (if I'm allowed to.)

Just a few things:

Trail Name: "Stick"
Direction: NOBO
Start Date: Unsure of exact date but, end of March / beginning of April.

So far, I have hiked the section from Amicalola Falls to Neels Gap. I had plans to hike Neels Gap to Fontana in May 2010 (solo) but back surgery in March has changed that around, however, my wife and I will be hiking from Fontana to Davenport this October (Smokies). I plan on picking up the section from Neels Gap to Fontana next spring now.

Other than this I plan on getting out AMAP (as much as possible)! I am planning to take my son (9 years old then) on an AT hike next summer.

What am I doing to prepare? The most obvious answer I think of when asked what am I doing to prepare for the hike (even though it's 3 years from now) is my gear list. However, there are other things I am doing, most importantly, preparing myself financially and physically. If not for these 2 things, the gear list would be useless....

Financially. My wife and I are going through the Dave Ramsey Financial Peace program. In 3 years or less, we will have a sizable "Emergency Fund," be debt free and have XX amount of months allowance in the bank. The only bills we will have will be utilities and house (still renting at this time.) Credit cards are gone. We will not charge anything. If we cannot pay for it with cash we do not need it, period. During this time I will be setting aside my funds needed for the gear and expenses for the hike.

Physically. Well that's a no-brainer. However, with my recent back surgery, a very large goal of mine is to become more physically fit to improve the outcome of my back problems. Doing this will also prepare me for the strenuous trials faced while hiking the trail.

Now the fun part, gear list! I have been going through other peoples gear list on the internet (that's hiked the AT and other places) and through my current gear putting a list together. I have been posting that list on this forum as well as others getting feed back and reconsidering nearly all of it. While it is not totally finished it is adequate in my opinion. Short version, my base weight during "warm" months is around 15-17 lbs base weight (not counting clothes worn, and depending on my choices between bounce boxes. And around 17-20 for "cold" months, again depending. (This does not include gear/clothes worn or food and water.) With the list I have now I am figuring around 30 lbs for warm months and around 35 for cold months.

So, before I post my gear list, who else is looking at 2013 as the year to get out?!

And there is a good chance the list may not work out to well when I copy and paste so here is a link to a download that may work. I am going to work on another one that is easier to access, but for now:

http://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B6h886ycFM9kOTY4NGU5OWMtZDVlNi00MGRjLWI4Y jAtOTQ5YTVlYzgwODBj&hl=en

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu88/STICK13/Gear%20List/pg1.jpg
http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu88/STICK13/Gear%20List/pg2.jpg
http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu88/STICK13/Gear%20List/pg3.jpg
http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu88/STICK13/Gear%20List/pg4.jpg
http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu88/STICK13/Gear%20List/pg5.jpg
http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu88/STICK13/Gear%20List/pg6.jpg
http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu88/STICK13/Gear%20List/pg7.jpg
http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu88/STICK13/Gear%20List/pg8.jpg

So, this is it so far. I have much more to get done, but at least I have gotten started!
Who else is planning for their thru in 2013 and what are you doing now to get ready for it?

Aleo
07-25-2010, 20:44
Hey stick, I'm planning on a 2013 through hike attempt also. I don't really plan on doing much preparing or serious planning until summer 2012 however I'll deffinately continue to moniter this thread. I'm fairly innexperienced at ultra-endurance hiking, but if you have any questions or ideas you want to bounce of me I'll help the best I can.

Trillium
07-25-2010, 21:38
2013 is my year, too! Can't wait. I will be leaving near the end of March/beginning of April as well, depending on how my team does in March Madness. We've been to the Final 4 the last 2 yrs and are planning to win the NCAA championship in 2011 and continue to plan for deep runs in the tourney for years to come!

I've hiked Amicalola to Woody Gap; Route 19 in to Damascus; Salisbury, CT to Great Barrington, MA. I hoped to do some backpacking on the AT this year but for a number of reasons, it's not going to work out. I'm looking to do several sections in both 2011 and 2012.

amylou
02-04-2011, 02:36
Hi there!

I am also planning to hike in 2013. I plan on leaving late February early march, as of now. I have to be done by mid august for graduate school. I think this will be a slow two years lol. I don't want to leave so early brrr, but I'm worried that if I don't I won't have enough time! :)

ChinoMike
03-08-2011, 21:49
I'm planning for my second thruhike in 2013. My first thruhike was GAME from Mar 9 - Jul 16 in 2005. I'm going to start a few weeks later and finish about same time. I don't plan on taking another 8 zero days but will do more nero days.

Flaps15
03-20-2011, 03:55
While 2013 is still 2 year outs, my hike isn't planned for three years AFTER you guys finish the trail. I'm obligated to a job with no more than 30 days off each year.. so, you can figure my heartbreak when i realized that I won't be bale to do it until 2015. Job ends in 2014 but not until August.. a terrible time to go NOBO.

Gimli
03-28-2011, 09:18
Hello together my name is "Gimli" in 2013 i will be 23 :)

I will also start in 2013 and my plan is to start in February and hope to finish in late july.

To be in good shape i did some trails in Germany,Sweden and Norway:)

Cant wait starting the AT.

Pickles&Shakespeare
03-30-2011, 21:48
So, I am getting the Class of 2013 thread going (if I'm allowed to.)

Just a few things:

Trail Name: "Stick"
Start Date: Unsure of exact date but, end of March / beginning of April.

So far, I have hiked the section from Amicalola Falls to Neels Gap. I had plans to hike Neels Gap to Fontana in May 2010 (solo) but back surgery in March has changed that around, however, my wife and I will be hiking from Fontana to Davenport this October (Smokies). I plan on picking up the section from Neels Gap to Fontana next spring now.

Other than this I plan on getting out AMAP (as much as possible)! I am planning to take my son (9 years old then) on an AT hike next summer.

What am I doing to prepare? The most obvious answer I think of when asked what am I doing to prepare for the hike (even though it's 3 years from now) is my gear list. However, there are other things I am doing, most importantly, preparing myself financially and physically. If not for these 2 things, the gear list would be useless....

Financially. My wife and I are going through the Dave Ramsey Financial Peace program. In 3 years or less, we will have a sizable "Emergency Fund," be debt free and have XX amount of months allowance in the bank. The only bills we will have will be utilities and house (still renting at this time.) Credit cards are gone. We will not charge anything. If we cannot pay for it with cash we do not need it, period. During this time I will be setting aside my funds needed for the gear and expenses for the hike.

Physically. Well that's a no-brainer. However, with my recent back surgery, a very large goal of mine is to become more physically fit to improve the outcome of my back problems. Doing this will also prepare me for the strenuous trials faced while hiking the trail.

We are planning a 2013 Thru
Trail Name:My Husband (Shakespeare) and Myself (Pickles)

Age @ hike:31 and 28

Direction:Flip Flop NOBO then SOBO (Waynesboro, VA)

Start Date:April 30-May 1

Newbie hikers but plan to hike AMAP in the time between.

Our *** are you doing this answer is:
1. Last big adventure before babies!!!
2. We want to see our country in an intimate way
3. We want to see all of the 50 states together, and we haven't seen the north east yet

Our hope is to make it to K. Mountain. The rest of the flop is gravy.

This fantasy started one day on a leisurely day hike. We were talking about the best time to start our family. Then I thought, "We need one more big adventure before we have kids. (Married for 5 years together for 10) Let's hike the AT!"... my obsession began.

We too need to get financially prepared for this massive undertaking. We hope to have 85% (other 15% grad debt) of our debt eliminated by mid next year. (Because of the economy, we had to move back in with parents so now we can squirrel away money.) By the time the hike rolls around we hope to have a good kitty for the actual hike and then some money in savings for when we come back to real life and start a family.

We don't have much in the way of gear yet. We have our neo-airs and sleeping bags. We plan to get a double rainbow tarp tent. Everything else is a huge ????

I would love to hear about others planning a flip flop (especially clothing),

Cheers

Pickles

Paul the Brit
07-31-2011, 10:49
I am also planning a 2013. The whole thing came about through a series of "incidents/coincidence" and have developed into a commitment. Some time ago a friend posted a link on facebook about a friend of her's that hiked the AT, this was the first I had ever heard of the trail and it stirred my interested but that was as far as it went. Some time later I was stuck in an airport and Bill Bryson's book A Walk in the Woods was on sale, I grab it as it was cheap and I needed something to read. I loved it (well the first half mainly). Then upon returning to USA after reading the book I happened to watch the Natgeo program about the AT and really started to think things over. I have a friend in the UK that is waiting for brain surgery and I was telling her about my idea to thru-hike....turns out she read Bill Bryson's book also and has a wish list including the AT. So basically here we are....committed to hike in 2013.

I have been reading books, following the forum and posts and watching DVD's and I am leaning more towards a SOBO thru-hike.

Trail Name: "Good Heart"
Direction: SOBO but maybe NOBO
Start Date: Unsure but if SOBO around June/July, if NOBO late-March

I am new to hiking and have just started to buy gear and make tentative selection.

Why do I want to do this?:

I have worked constantly from the day I left school and never had a break of more than 2 weeks, retired from the military and started a job the day after I left Army life. I think its time I took some time away from working before I get/feel to old to complete the AT.

I figured it may be a way to loose the extra 30lbs I am carrying.

I would like to help my friend achieve her wish while she can.

I am going to walk the trail to raise funds for a charity (I have selected the charity)

because despite 22 years military service I have come away in good health and without injury...there are people that want to walk the trail but physically cannot, I am able, capable and ready to use what I have been blessed with and do something with my life that allows me to feel I have achieved something. I want to challenge myself.

@stick, I did the Dave Ramsey Financial Peace program and it work for me, follow the plan and it does work.

dkcombs2
07-31-2011, 16:47
Brenda and I are looking forward to doing this in April 2013. I read its two years away but we are counting down and are wanting to say its more like a year and a half. Anyway, we have all our gear and have done some section hiking to test it out. We have couple more week long trips to get it better. We are almost right with the gear. Pending injury or emotional letdown we hope to complete the trail in 2013.

ChinMusic
07-31-2011, 17:06
I am planning on starting in late Feb or early Mar 2013. I will plan to delay/pause should the weather dictate.

No gear lists from me. I will just throw my regular stuff in my pack, with 3+ days of food, and adjust as needed.

Ladytrekker
08-14-2011, 12:47
I am playing head games to see if I can swing a 2013 start. I am emotionally ready but not physically or financially ready. I am sincerely not even believing that I am writing this its like saying something out loud for the first time. This means I will have to quit a government job, but I looked at this somewhat rationally or irrationally that I have 10 years to retirement and that seems more like death than living. I have done some serious research and found that will give me 15 years if I stay until retirement and I will make equally in social security each year vs pension no more no less. Now if social security hangs in there for the next 20 to 30 years I'm good. My son will have graduated law school and not need my help with anything financially. I would cash in a small 401k that would totally finance the hike and let me enjoy the hike on a budget but not a strict budget and then will need to try to find employment at the ripe old age of 58 when I was done. I really have no interest anymore in corporate America. OK I am convincing myself, I guess I am just talking out loud. So let it be said.

WOW I might be able to swing this I am feeling a little scared and a little liberated right now.

atmilkman
08-22-2011, 21:37
SOBO leapfrog late april primarily to avoid the cattle boat (oops thats diving) the cattle drive. Hate to miss the peak season celebrations but its not that fun NOBO anymore. Will eventually meet great people which is one of the big reasons for going, but I'm just to old for a NOBO (57 lol) I don't fit in anymore. Just kidding. Hope to meet some of you out there. Trail name is milkman. Honestly, hope to meet you.

Serial 07
08-23-2011, 22:38
class 2012 rules, 2013 drools!

ChinMusic
08-23-2011, 22:41
class 2012 rules, 2013 drools!

There's no trash talking in backpacking.

Double Wide
08-23-2011, 23:14
I'm in for a northbound start in March of 2013.

Not sure of the exact date, but I'm going to shoot for Monday, March 18th. Haven't decided what I'm going to do about the approach trail, but I'm leaning towards a good ass-kickng to start out the trip. After reading all I could get my hands on from those who have gone before, especially that awesome "What would you do differently?" thread, I've got a general idea of how it's going to go. I'm budgeting a full seven months and a decent bankroll so that I can take my time, enjoy some cool zero days at good campsites/views/waterfalls, and not feel like I have to put in a bunch of 20 mile days if I don't want to. I'm going to swim whenever I get a chance, take tons of pictures, and keep a very detailed journal. It's going to be a once-in-a-lifetime trip for me, so I'm going to suck the marrow out of the entire experience.

Can't wait to go.

I look forward to running into the rest of you goofy bastards out on the trail!

ChinMusic
08-23-2011, 23:25
I'm going to suck the marrow out of the entire experience.

There is a trail name in there somewhere............

Double Wide
08-23-2011, 23:34
Too late--already got one. ;)

Besides, would you sign a register as 'Marrow Sucker'? :D

atmilkman
08-23-2011, 23:43
Now Double Wide your post had a lot of info in it how do you know thats what ChinMusic had in mind? There was some reference to a goofy something or other in there. lol

ChinMusic
08-23-2011, 23:51
I'm going to semi-retire that year (not sure exactly what that means).

The wife and I will drive to Florida in early Feb and buy an RV. After learning how to drive the thing we will head north pulling our Honda CRV. I'll start my thru while she explores the county as I move north. Prob move the RV once every 7-14 days (as needed). I'll be backpacking like most everyone else with the perk of being able to sleep in my own bed once in awhile. It might be a hassle having to move the RV (not sure she will be willing to drive it) but I'll prob get pizza delivered to several road crossings...........;)

atmilkman
08-24-2011, 00:05
I'm going to semi-retire that year (not sure exactly what that means).

The wife and I will drive to Florida in early Feb and buy an RV. After learning how to drive the thing we will head north pulling our Honda CRV. I'll start my thru while she explores the county as I move north. Prob move the RV once every 7-14 days (as needed). I'll be backpacking like most everyone else with the perk of being able to sleep in my own bed once in awhile. It might be a hassle having to move the RV (not sure she will be willing to drive it) but I'll prob get pizza delivered to several road crossings...........;)

Am retired now. Already have the RV. Thought about the same thing but the wife doesn't think she can handle it. My brother-in-law is going to attempt the through with me. My wife and sister will meet us on a few occasions. Might get us some pizza too. We're gonna start late april at the Conn./N.Y. line go SOBO to Va. Jump to Baxter go to N.Y. jump to Va. end at Springer. Will do the traditional approach as an ender.

abstract
08-26-2011, 00:08
Hey everyone- also planning my GAME hike in March 2013. I planned on starting halfway through the month- March 15th- but as an old Literature major, I know I need to beware the Ides of March. So, the 18th is it!

I'll be 36 by the time my trip begins. I haven't assigned myself a Trail Name- I'll either let that happen organically on the trail, or I'll think of something cool by then :)

The thing is, making this hike does't make any sense. I've got a good steady job, a wife, and live a couple miles from the beach in Florida. Why quit my job and sleep on the ground for 6 months? I grew up in upstate New York, not far from Bear Mountain- I've spent literally half my like dreaming of taking this trip. I know very well that nothing's guaranteed, and that every year I put the trip off, there's less of a chance I'll talk myself into going.

There's alway's going to be a reason not to go. So, damn it all and load that pack!

See you in 18 months!

Maddog
09-08-2011, 03:38
I'm headed NOBO in 2013. I plan on hitting the approach trail January 1...weather permitting. :D

MannDude
09-10-2011, 07:19
I'm so glad this forum exists! I believe i'll be attempting a thru hike in 2013, hoping to leave in mid March - early April from GA at Springer Mountain and head north. I'm 23, will more than likely go about this alone, and would rather be in the woods than at my desk doing work. I want to do the whole thing, and enjoy every minute of it as I do. I believe I am more than capable of doing the entire trail, but will likely be in no big hurry or trying to set any crazy records. If i'm in the woods for 6 months, i'm okay with that.

Of course, i'll likely be laughably 'too connected'. I'll be bringing a mobile office with (netbook for the journey, verizon 4G mobile hotspot, cell phone) so I can do some work along the way. I sort of have a vital role at my job so I can't simply disappear for months on end, but I think I can get by on checking in every few days. Other than that stuff, will try to travel as light as possible to compensate. I've never used a hammock in a camping/hiking situation, only in a leisurely lay in a the shade type situation so i'd like to try one out on a hike first, though I think i'd be more apt to use a tent.

I still have a lot of research to do, but thankfully this place exists! Such a great resource, probably spent 3+ hours reading posts and checking out photos of people's journey.

Why am I so keen and intent on hiking the entire trail, alone?

I'm a young dude who has a relatively simple outlook on life. All I really want is to secure some acreage, build a small self-sustainable home (likely earthbag method), and live simply and modestly within my means. I feel that if I complete the trail, I will be more focused on obtaining the next goal in my life. I also own a business, luckily one that would allow me to 'slip away for a while' (4-6months, haha) and i'd just need to check in every other day or so. I feel that if I complete the trail, that no matter what happens in regards to the business goes, I can handle it. I just feel that it'll make me mentally stronger as well. If I was just sitting at my desk, stressed out and cursing under my breath because of work, I could just visualize and remember the trail in my head, and realize that I put up with a lot more enduring situations than that. Also, I need to get in shape. I'm tall and skinny, but I used to also be lean/cut from being constantly active. Now i've grown soft, I want to be in great shape again.

Blah, I'm a rambler... (not in real life though)

See you on the trail in 2013!

hikerboy57
09-10-2011, 07:22
just keep in mind the world is supposed to end in 2012. consider changing your start date.

MannDude
09-11-2011, 03:18
just keep in mind the world is supposed to end in 2012. consider changing your start date.

Ha, we'll see...

Sugarfoot
09-11-2011, 07:18
It feels awfully good just to be able to write someplace that I'm planning to thru-hike in 2013. Because of my job, I won't be starting until late April or early May. I will start at the top of the falls in Amicolola Falls State Park. Why? Because I really like the approach trail. It's always on the top of Frosty Mountain that I feel my cares fall away. By the time I get to Springer, I'm relaxed and ready. I will hike to Harpers Ferry and then flip-flop to Katahdin and hike south to Harpers Ferry. I don't want the time pressure have having to get to Maine before the snows and equally important, I don't want to hike the Mid-Atlantic states in summer again. I've done annual AT section hikes since 1994 and have done all of the trail once, up to Hanover twice and some states multiple times, about 5,000 miles total. But all of the section hiking hasn't cured me of wanting to thru-hike. I'm sure I will replace some of my gear, but not many items, because the gear really doesn't matter so long as there isn't too much of it. I'm in good shape for a guy of 60 and, injury excepted, not worried about the physical side of a thru-hike. Eating enough is always a challenge when hiking. I do wonder if I will have the stamina mentally to keep hiking when walking becomes my job. My longest hike has been 5 weeks. I look forward to revisiting places and people I love and discovering new places and friends along the way and just the joy of walking for weeks and months on end.

Sugarfoot

abstract
09-12-2011, 15:08
Agreed on the approach trail, Sugarfoot. I drove up to Amicolola a couple weeks ago and did an out-and-back up the stairs and to the terminus, where I was able to eat lunch before being overrun by Boy Scouts :) I had to whet my appetite for the trail a little!

I'm sure when I get going in 2013 I'll go up the stairs again- they're going to be loads of fun when I'm not just wearing my Camelback...

einshine
09-28-2011, 11:19
Hey all! I'm also looking at getting started NOBO in March of 2013. Don't have a trail name to this point so I can put that in here. Now I just have to finish my PhD (hoping Feb 2013)! See you all on the trail (hopefully!)

Feral Nature
10-06-2011, 22:06
2013 here too unless things are just right for me going in 2012.

OldFat&Slow
10-18-2011, 14:47
2013 here too unless things are just right for me going in 2012.

My 60th birthday is March 28, 2013. I hope to be retired and starting my thru-hike on that day. If, for some reason, I have been talked out of retiring or my plans for "training hikes" have been delayed :( I will wait until the next March 28th (2014).

FoolsConvert
10-26-2011, 00:05
I'll be starting March 19th give or take a few days. I have until mid-September to reach Maine and then I find out whether or not I will be accepted into my dream college. http://www.coa.edu College of the Atlantic. I've grown up in Colorado, within less than a day's drive of the CT for most of my life, and finished some of my college degree but I haven't had the desire to completely finish. Since I live right here at the endpoint of the CT I plan on hiking as much of it as I can up until the day I leave for the AT. I haven't really started the planning yet as I still have about a year and four months to go but I am SO excited about this trip so at least I know I have the motivation. Haha. See you on the trail!

thunderbolt1971
11-02-2011, 12:33
Greetings everyone. My name is thunderbolt and 2013 is my year!!!! I'm planning a St. Patricks day to Labor Day thru hike. Planning is well underway. I just gotta keep working and saving my pennies and it will be here before you know it.

partymummy
11-02-2011, 13:32
I'll be heading NOBO in 2013 as well. Boyfriend says he's coming--we'll see about all that. If he drops out, I'm just going to keep putting one foot in front of the other. I don't have a definite gear list--I'm experimenting. (I refuse to walk into REI and bend over, seeing what works best for me first). Plan to start GA section hikes with the GA AT club in February. I've been obsessed with this idea for years, seems its only getting stronger the longer I wait. I'M EXCITED. Saving those quarters.....

Lea13
11-03-2011, 04:41
I'm planning a SOBO thru-hike, ideally starting by June (depends on when grad school and my thesis finally have their claws outta me:rolleyes:) I'm planning on taking my dog, and traveling with my sister for at least parts of the trip (pending on her life schedule at the time).

I'm looking forward to this trip more than is probably healthy, and can't help but getting started planning now. :D I hope I get to see some of you out on the trail!

forrest!
11-14-2011, 10:56
2013 is my year, I hope. I plan to retire sometime in the Spring after 30 years with the same company (does anyone do that anymore?). I hope to set a definite day to retire before the end of the year, but it looks like I can hit the trail NOBO in April.

I've had plenty of hiking and camping experience over the years. I volunteer with GATC and am a section overseer for the mile that includes Hawk Mt., so I will have to spend my first night on my thru-hike there. After that, no plans.

I am so excited for it to finally be my turn to thru-hike. The real difficulty will be parting from my wife of 30+ years. Hopefully she can meet me along the trail a few times.

And then there's the piano - my hobby is playing piano, a couple of hours a day on average. I can't carry a piano with me! It will be tough to break that habit for 5 or 6 months.

t_ryfek
11-18-2011, 16:47
WOW! So many other 2013 hikers here!

I (Alex [AKA "T"]) am aswell planning a 2013 thru hike. However, I will be traveling SOBO starting hopefully in mid June! I had originally planned to go NOBO but my best friend (Cody) will not be out of the army until may of 2013, so that is out of the question! We will also be traveling with an old friend (Chas) we grew up with making three of us! none of us have really done a hike this long before but what better time then now... or 2013!

I hope to soo many of you on the trail! whether it may be just in passing or sharing a shelter and wish you all the best of luck on your adventures!

camomonk
12-10-2011, 17:32
2013 is also my year. I am recently divorced, losing my job in February of 2012, overweight and I need the year plus to train (Mostly in gym and on the North Country Trail), lose weight, research/plan and accumalate equipment I do not have. This has been a dream of mine..........I can not let the opportunity pass me by. April 16th 2013 will be my 43rd Birthday......I want to start on that date. I think any earlier start may come with snow, snow , snow. Looking to make contacts for advise, guidence, friendships for this trip ahead.

quilteresq
12-11-2011, 20:05
I'm in! I told hubby I wanted to do it in 2013, and he thinks it's pretty good timing! Better than after he retires since he doesn't want to do it - the planning begins in earnest. . . .

Bonnie86
12-19-2011, 20:52
Hi all! I'm also making tentative plans to do a 2013 NOBO thru hike! Of course when I say making plans I mean I'm reading posts on this forum and thats about it so far. Who ever would have thought that leaving a job would take so much effort/planning/time?!

Still I can't see any reason why I shouldn't be able to do it. Also as I'm in my element outdoors and have had plenty of adventures (though admittedly not a great deal of hiking) even if I don't get to plan every single detail I'm sure I will manage just fine.

Why do I want to do this? Well as I've already mentioned I love being outside, the feeling of freedom and the beauty of it is imense. The truely appealing part of it for me is being able to do it how I want, at MY pace, stopping when I want. My many adventures have pretty much all been part of my current job (British Army) so for the most part have been complete beastings - being made to do a 3 hour section attack up a seemingly never ending hill because one of the guys admin was up his a** (and yet I still loved it!). So yeah experiencing things in my own way and in my own time is going to be amazing. I also wouldn't turn down the oppertunity of meeting new people and hopefully making some friends along the way!! Heck if I make friends on this forum before I go I'd be chuffed - I'm a very friendly person - although my sense of humor takes a bit of getting used to, but as long as it's taken the way it's supposed to be (as a joke!) then all should be good.

john4
12-31-2011, 10:03
Want a "13 thru walk......Ill be 64 then....need to train for 14 months. Need to loose 100#. How about training tips. I did a lot of backpacking 30 yrs ago...still have my REI bag. Hope to meet some of this class on the trail.

10-K
12-31-2011, 10:48

Toy2boy
01-08-2012, 11:50
Hello Folks,

My name is Mark.
I am planning for my first thru-hike tentative departure date of March 15th, 2013.

Maybe we can center our contact information together. I am willing to help in that.

My email:
[email protected]

Facebook ID:
www.Facebook.com/OriginalThatGuy

Please send me what contact information you'd like, and I'll compile it and pass to others for the class of 2013.

Thanks and Hike On!
~ Mark

Toy2boy
01-08-2012, 13:17
Maybe we could *BUMP* this thread to an above "Sub-forum"? 2013 is just over a year away. :)

Visionmonger
01-08-2012, 19:49
I finally got my wife to warm up to the idea of me being gone for 6 months. I guess that gets easier the longer you have been married! I hope to get started at Springer in March of 2013. We will see. Meanwhile I am all over the trails here in southwestern Va. See you out there!

motleybrews
01-10-2012, 01:31
Hey everyone. I'm Stephen from Memphis, TN. I'll be 27 when I start in late February/early march and will turn 28 on the trail. I've wanted to do this for years.

Starting now compiling all my gear. Quick question...what's the shoe/boot of choice for the '13 crowd? That seems to be the hardest decision at this point.

I'll be going solo, but would like to try and get in with a group, but don't mind getting left behind.

Half Note
01-19-2012, 03:41
Wanted to do it this year but just don't have the funds. I really hate that money is preventing me from doing this otherwise, I'd be heading out in a couple of months. My side dream of music has picked up quite a bit so that plays a factor too but I plan on socking away $ each paycheck to go towards a 2013 hike that way the only thing that could possibly stop me next year is music. Have all the gear I need and fit enough to give it a go. Still need to do some training for hiking hours on end to get used to the monotony. So if there are any Austinites willing to look like schmucks hiking the Green Belt or Mt. Bonnell with full packs, shoot me a message.

Gosurfh2o
01-20-2012, 11:59
My wife and I are currently planning to leave Springer on March, 17 2013!!!! We just bought our packs and are working on the rest of our gear now... We started Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace Univ. last year but then took our honeymoon and dropped out... It is a great class though and I highly recomend it!!! We will be doing some prep hikes in NC when time allows... Can't wait to meet-up with you guys!!!

forrest!
01-20-2012, 15:35
Starting now compiling all my gear. Quick question...what's the shoe/boot of choice for the '13 crowd? That seems to be the hardest decision at this point.

You've got plenty of time between now and then to try out different shoes and boots and decide what best suits you. I use trail running shoes, for what it's worth.

Slow n' Steady
01-21-2012, 10:53
I'll be 61 and am planning on starting in April if all goes well. Training tip #1: I joined a spinning class which seemed to help during my section hikes. I spent less time getting my trail legs on my sections, and I think the workouts from spinning helped me build the strength needed.

teknologyguru
01-22-2012, 11:53
Greetings all, another 2013er here!

I've wanted to hike the AT for a little over a year now, and I figure I should do it sooner rather than later, while I'm still young enough to not be tied down by anything. I also want to use the hike as a sort of break between my current job and move somewhere else after I'm done with it. Five or six months on the trail should be good for a mental reboot, no?
At any rate, I'm in the planning and saving up stages now, hoping to use the rest of this year to determine what gear I need, and get it all together, as well as do some preparations to make sure I'll actually be able to last for the whole 2000 miles.

Oneofsix
01-22-2012, 18:18
looks like there may be a ton of us starting mid march . . . no trail names yet, we'll pick them up on the way.

We hope to start march 15th or so 2013. We are a very well prepared family . . . .that means kids. We have been preparing - walked 192 miles across England this summer. We're hiking Pennsylvania this summer. We expect most of you will pass us, and then possibly again when we jump over PA. We expect we'll end at the last possible moment in Maine - Oct 10?

www.30millionsteps.wordpress.com (http://www.30millionsteps.wordpress.com)

Toy2boy
01-22-2012, 18:34
I am planning 7 months. I want time to enjoy a wide variety of aspects. And Oneofsix, you may pass me, but that won't matter to me as long as I am enjoying my journey! March 12th is my tentative start date.

Stink Bug
01-23-2012, 12:27
My girlfriend and I are planning our thru hike, leaving Springer March 20 (First Day of Spring) 2013. We've done a lot of AT section hiking and we're excited to - hopefully - hike the whole thing!

Here's a link to my gear list, if anybody is interested: http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=5694

Oneofsix
01-23-2012, 12:59
you may pass me

we may end up leap frogging . . . that happened on our coast to coast trip, the same people would pass us each day, then we'd end up in the same place at night, the next morning we were up and out early, then they would pass us mid day . . . then we'd get in and see them again. If not, you'll be a few days ahead of us, the whole way up :) we're taking 7 months too :)

Oneofsix
01-23-2012, 13:11
Want a "13 thru walk......Ill be 64 then....need to train for 14 months. Need to loose 100#. How about training tips. I did a lot of backpacking 30 yrs ago...still have my REI bag. Hope to meet some of this class on the trail.

walk everyday (even if it is only a mile) . . do a long hike once a week (start with 2 miles, add a mile (or two) every week until you are up to 12) . . . in two months add a pack (first month 10 pounds, second month 20, third 30, fourth 40) . . . .in 4 months add hills . . . .get yourself up to 12 miles with a 40 pound pack and at least 2000 feet in elevation gain.

Toy2boy
01-23-2012, 13:24
Oneofsix, if you haven't already - please email me if you'd like so we can keep track of each other. I am comprising a list, and resources to distribute. :)

BOHICA
02-06-2012, 23:40
Hi Everyone. I am 25 and from GA and will be 26 on the trail. I will be starting from the approach trail on March 1st -3rd, 2013 after completing my masters. So anyone starting earlier hope to see you on the trail and keep in touch. No trail name yet. but that will come along. Grab a pack and plan alittle, but in all seriousness Lets go!

email: [email protected]

buzz48843
02-07-2012, 08:59
I am hoping to leave Springer mid-March as well! I started a thru-hike in 2009 but had to leave after I fractured my foot. It took me almost a year before I could hike any lengh of time on it. I have been section hiking since, but my heart calls for a thru-hike. If I can swing it at work, 2013 is my year!!!!

Boondoggle
02-07-2012, 09:11
I plan on heading out sometime Mid March. I will be retiring from the USN after 30 years of serving my country riding submarines. I will be doing the trail while on terminal leave.....hence my trail name Boondoggle. Want to finish in mid June. Have done extensive hiking and mountaineering in the cascades. See you all on the trail.

Winds
02-07-2012, 09:20
.... sometime Mid March... Want to finish in mid June.

90 days, wow! You may then pass me twice! Once being in my nightmares, ha. That's quick!

Cheers!

Boondoggle
02-07-2012, 12:59
Winds,

I meant to say Mid July...lol!!! All in all I would like to finish the hike in around 120 days....then I have to find a "REAL" job. Not many opportunities in life where you get paid a full pay check to hike....looking forward to meeting people on the trail and experiancing that trail magic I have read so much about.

Boondoggle

Tomlan King
02-13-2012, 05:43
It seems that 2013 is my year as well. I am planning a NOBO hike starting in mid-late March. I am still in the planning phase. Never really been a hiker but I recently learned about the AT and want to do this before the real world steals the fire and passion I have toward it. My motivation is simple, I want to escape into something truely pure and 6 to 7 months in the woods is perfect for that. I am 25 now will be 27 when I hit the trail and I am looking forward to it. I have started getting into shape and am researching gear, so any suggestions are more than welcome. I know my gear may be night and day differnt from yours but I will listen to any intelligent suggestions, lol. I am so stoked about this! I told my mom what I was planning and she didn't even know that trails like this exsisted. Now she wants to go hiking with me during my training phase. I am rambling but its all because of the excitment I have looking forward to this adventure.

Winds
02-13-2012, 21:11
Boondoggle, still too quick for me. I am planning 7 months because I want to finish but not make the distance my master. I know many can't take that sort of time though. Let's keep in touch!

TK, nice to see you here, and hope you get the information you're looking for.

~ Mark

old geezer
02-18-2012, 18:18
Count me in
Plan early April

Live_for_hiking
02-19-2012, 00:59
I decided to scratch the "3.5 years from now plan" and move it to 2013. I'll have a summer sweating over the boulders in PA to fine-tune and update my stuff and save enough to risk my job going b'bye. I've already got the cost of the trip banked with a nice buffer.

I shared the 2013 start date with the family and I've got nothing but enthusiastic support to follow a 20+ year dream. Of course, my company won't know of my decision until the end of this year ......

I plan on a late February or early March start. NOBO.

megz
02-20-2012, 03:41
Here's me officially saying I'm going to do a thru hike in 2013!

Going to start late Feb or early March probably, turn 21 on the trail. I'm also planning on hopefully doing some section hiking this year, maybe Harper's Ferry to Duncannon in late April of this year, or maybe Springer to the Georgia border so I get a feel for what to pack and whatnot.

Very, very anxious to do this! Just need to get into a pristine shape now.

Live_for_hiking
02-20-2012, 15:06
Here's me officially saying I'm going to do a thru hike in 2013!

Going to start late Feb or early March probably, turn 21 on the trail. I'm also planning on hopefully doing some section hiking this year, maybe Harper's Ferry to Duncannon in late April of this year, or maybe Springer to the Georgia border so I get a feel for what to pack and whatnot.

Very, very anxious to do this! Just need to get into a pristine shape now.

Welcome to the community. Good luck preparing and on your section hike.

Moose2001
02-22-2012, 16:24
I was rereading "Walking on the Happy Side of Misery" for the umpteenth time last night. Love that book. As I was standing in the shower this morning, it dawned on me that 2013 will be the tenth anniversary of my first thru. It took me exactly 20 minutes to decided it was time to once again give into Springer Fever and spend another glorious summer on the trail. Broke the news to my girlfriend this morning. She smiled, shook her head and said she wasn't surprised! 3 isn't enough. Drive for four sounds much better. See you all at Springer around April 20, 2103!

NickDezern
02-24-2012, 10:53
I will be starting in early May. I graduate from college then so will be forced to start late. Im still trying to convince 2 friends to tag along, but regardless I'm pumped to do a long distance hike. The longest I've ever hiked before is 9 days. I look forward to meeting some of you!

Danl
02-27-2012, 11:14
I too plan on thru hiking the AT in 2013. If the world doesn't end :eek:. I am a 30 year Cancer fighter and feel the need. I have been working all my short life and am fortunate enough to be able to retire anytime from this day forward. The only thing I have to overcome now is being able to walk more than 2 hours after 12 weeks of setting in a recliner because of foot surgery. I do not yet know if I want to go NOBO, SOBO, or flip flop open to all forms as long as I complete it. I am not in a hurry by no means. I have been doing this hike for years, among other things, in my head and now I have the opportunity and support at home to do it.
I am a Displaced Troll for I spent 48 years living under the bridge in Michigan but now reside in Tennessee.

Hoping to see you all out there.
DanL

Danl
02-29-2012, 14:13
I too plan on thru hiking the AT in 2013. If the world doesn't end :eek:. I am a 30 year Cancer fighter and feel the need. I have been working all my short life and am fortunate enough to be able to retire anytime from this day forward. The only thing I have to overcome now is being able to walk more than 2 hours after 12 weeks of setting in a recliner because of foot surgery. I do not yet know if I want to go NOBO, SOBO, or flip flop open to all forms as long as I complete it. I am not in a hurry by no means. I have been doing this hike for years, among other things, in my head and now I have the opportunity and support at home to do it.
I am a Displaced Troll for I spent 48 years living under the bridge in Michigan but now reside in Tennessee.

Hoping to see you all out there.
DanL

I just found out my Cousin has wanted to also hike this trail so it looks like we may do it together. wooohoooo

Winds
03-04-2012, 02:35
Well folks, I have made a decision to plan my thru-hike for 2014. If I could remove all my posts above, I would. Sorry for mucking up this thread. I wish all great success in your hikes!

~ Mark

SCGamecock
03-07-2012, 18:45
I too will be thru hiking in 2013
Plan on leaving March 13
Trail name: GAMECock (University of SC Alumni)

saralyn
03-07-2012, 19:14
My husband and I are planning on starting in March of next year.

I want to start on my birthday just because I think that would be fun, but we may push it off until later in the month for it to be a little warmer. We are a little afraid of running out of time. We are both newbie hikers, but we've got some good weekend trips (and longer planned this year).

Last big adventure before we start a familiy :) (which will be an adventure in it's own right!)

Pancake5765
03-14-2012, 22:37
This is the first official announcement of Earthquake and my (Pancake) SOBO 2013 thru. We have hiked sections in Connecticut, and New York living around the area our whole lives. Currently stuck in Denver for another year, our heads are in the lush East coast mountains every time we are trekking up 2,000' on a dry, windy Rocky Mtn slope.
We have gotten the 2012 SOBO AT Guide in the mail and already have the first 200 miles roughed out for resupply and daily mileages. After that the plan is no plan.

Currently our (5-day supply) packs weigh 22 for Earthquake and 25 for me, however I still have a 5 pound monster of a pack in that weight so that number will drop markedly. We have a year to find some good deals on down bags and splurge on two neoairs. Our goal is to get down around 17lbs or so by the time we start.

We will see you all on the trail!

Two-Can
03-23-2012, 02:10
Hey there Milkman, you better change this post, there's a lot of untruth in it nowadays!!! :)
I am so very thankful that you have decided to do the "normal" NOBO hike!!
We are going to meet so many great folks and have so much fun in the process!!!

atmilkman
03-23-2012, 14:23
Hey there Milkman, you better change this post, there's a lot of untruth in it nowadays!!! :)
I am so very thankful that you have decided to do the "normal" NOBO hike!!
We are going to meet so many great folks and have so much fun in the process!!!
Let the truth be known and the untruth be now unknown and forever forgotten. Yes I have decided (thanks to you) that I (we) will be going NOBO on March 20th, 2013, on a Wednesday, on the first day of spring, right smack-dab in the middle of the (c)rush and loving every minute of it. After supper last night and us being updated about Bugger this year (which is literally killing me) having such a good time it's all I can think of and can't wait. Despite all this far off gazing and daydreaming I have managed to put together that Mid-May Pinhoti Trail Hike. Complete with resupplies and showers. (lol) It's not a total thru but it's a decent 12 day hike. PM me and I'll give you all the details. I think you'll like it. It's gonna be pretty leisurely and laid back. And, congrats on you first WhiteBlaze post.
:clap And :welcome

jimmyjam
03-23-2012, 14:44
Hey Milkman, I'm thinking of doing something similar- starting in CT and going south to VA. Probably starting around early May. I will have to get off the trail around the end of June but plan on returning late summer and then finishing up in'14. May see you on the trail. jimmyjam.

atmilkman
03-23-2012, 15:11
Hey Milkman, I'm thinking of doing something similar- starting in CT and going south to VA. Probably starting around early May. I will have to get off the trail around the end of June but plan on returning late summer and then finishing up in'14. May see you on the trail. jimmyjam.
Hey jimmyjam, I'm changing my original route plan. I have always wanted to do the traditional NOBO start from Springer, at the arch at the approach trail for that matter. I was going to do it the way you are talking about but I was doing it for someone else not myself. I was hiking someone elses hike not HMOH. I was trying to justify it by making the comments about the crowds and the herd and such. But that's not really me. I want to be in the crowd, I want to be in the herd. This is my first attempt at a thru. I've done a lot of sections but only in the south. After hiking with some former thrus and WhiteBlaze members on the O2L section of the FT earlier this year
I am convinced now this is the way for me especially since it's my first time. Hopefully, if things go right, we will meet on the trail. Good luck. Hope to see you too.

Soulebrother
03-23-2012, 22:53
Officially declaring my hike for 2013! Planning to start somewhere around the end of March/beginning of April. I will be turning 21 on the trail, still haven't decided if this is a good thing or not. I am more than excited to have found this thread, which seems to make my plans much more realistic. March 2013 just can't come fast enough!

StichBurly
03-25-2012, 20:31
Well I have decided to thru hike in 2013. I want to leave mid to late Feb 2013. See you all on the trail.

jimmyjam
03-27-2012, 09:06
Milkman,

yeah I didn't see your second post until after I posted. I would like to hike the whole trail at one time from S to N or N to S, but because of time restraints I can't, so after doing some research I decided to hike it in thirds by the "CoolBreeze" route to take advanyage of the best weather in each section. Enjoy your hike, I know I will.

punch
03-28-2012, 15:08
hi everyone,

i too have fully committed to a 2013 thru-hike NOBO, starting March 15. i'm excited to meet all of you out there and to be a a part of such an awesome adventure.

ursa minor
04-03-2012, 16:29
By sending this message I am committing myself to the 2013 hike, NOBO. Will start April 3, 2013 (because it's a year from today). Here's to chatting with you all before then and meeting on the trail!

utahgirl
04-03-2012, 18:13
I am also planning my NOBO thru-hike in 2013! I am planning on leaving mid-march. Right now planning on a solo hike unless I can convince my twin sister to join me. I am so glad I found this site as it is really helping me prepare and answer a lot of questions I have. I can't wait!

FlashGordon
04-03-2012, 22:33
Today, I have officially decided to thru-hike NOBO in 2013! It's awesome to see so many other people on here ready for the trail! I'm a year and a half out of college and realized that the perfect time to head out on this great adventure is now. Why wait??? I got the bug last month while skiing at Sugarloaf Mountain, the second tallest mountain in Maine and also part of the AT. My curious mind got to work and I started reading up on the trail and I was hooked. I asked my boyfriend of 7 years today if he would want to hike with me. I wasn't sure if he would think I was crazy or not, but he said YES! There's a lot to do in the next year and lots of questions to be answered, but I can't wait to start the trail with you all!

FlashGordon
04-03-2012, 22:37
Planning to start in early to mid-March so we can hopefully finish before my boyfriend heads to grad. school.

Live_for_hiking
04-03-2012, 23:36
All I gotta say is ...

Longest year ... ever.

ChinMusic
04-03-2012, 23:41
All I gotta say is ...

Longest year ... ever.

You got that right.

I keep looking at the calendar and make a guess where I will be a year from now. I'm guessing Kincora right about now, further if we have weather like this year.

TNman
04-04-2012, 08:31
I have begun to read several books written by past thru-hikers and decided to plan for a 2013 thru-hike. I am not sure if I will follow the traditional NOBO path or do a flip flop beginning in Damascus VA to miss the massive number of hikers leaving from Springer. My planning for gear and clothing is almost complete and manh of the suggestion found on Whiteblaze has been helpful. TNman is my self-imposed trail name to simply indicate that Tennessee is my home state. I will continue to watch this posting for ideas other hikers have to lighten the load and route planning.

Live_for_hiking
04-05-2012, 02:27
You got that right.

I keep looking at the calendar and make a guess where I will be a year from now. I'm guessing Kincora right about now, further if we have weather like this year.

I keep guessing that I'd be through the smokies ..... But we'll have to wait and see next year.

Regarding overall average temperature and weather for 2013? Because we had a very wet summer and fall in 2012 followed by a mild winter ... I'm guessing that we'll have a cold winter with average precipitation for 2013.

forrest!
04-05-2012, 10:45
Let's see, April 5 2013, where will I be? At that point I will have been hiking five days, so past Neel's Gap, I hope! Starting April Fool's day. If the weather is as warm as this year I will be behind a lot of early starters, but that is the first day of my retirement.

I will have to spend the first or second night at Hawk Mt shelter - that's the section I maintain for the GATC.

atmilkman
04-05-2012, 11:08
I keep guessing that I'd be through the smokies ..... But we'll have to wait and see next year.

Regarding overall average temperature and weather for 2013? Because we had a very wet summer and fall in 2012 followed by a mild winter ... I'm guessing that we'll have a cold winter with average precipitation for 2013.
We're leaving March 20. Doing the approach. I'm hoping today I would be leaving Fontana making that long climb up to Russell. I don't know where my starting partner will be, probably not too far ahead or behind.

Glimmer
04-06-2012, 16:37
I have just started letting people know I am committed to completing a thru hike next year. Im hoping to start in early or middle March. I am so excited.

Boondoggle
04-06-2012, 16:53
Looking forward to seeing you all on the trail ....should be heading out mid-March....pumped up too experience the trail.

ChinMusic
04-08-2012, 19:21
I will def be taking a Zero Day on Masters Sunday.

Giantsbane
04-09-2012, 08:05
343 days until I leave! That's March 18th, the day after St Patty's day. I started a week long hike that day this year, and St Patty's Day was such a good day and night for me I figured I want to have the same experience before I head to Springer.

ChimneySwifty
04-10-2012, 20:05
Hey all made up my mind ill be on the trail 2013 feb mid feb start. Just thought id say hi and look forward to meeting and sharing ideas.

victoria300
06-26-2012, 11:07
i love that quote!

victoria300
06-26-2012, 11:15
I mean Giantsbane's quote "I went into the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to suck the marrow out of life." What a great book.
(its pretty obvious im new to this haha)
Anyway I'm posting because I too am also going to hike the AT NOBO sometime in March of 2013! I'm really excited to meet everyone and hope to gain the experience of a life time.

Badger2011
08-06-2012, 17:14
Hey all, first off congrats on deciding to take on a thru-hike of the AT. As a former thru-hiker, I can say with great confidence that you are making an amazing life decision. You should feel good about that.

If you're looking to connect with fellow 2013 thru-hikers, you may want to check out the 2013 thru-hikers Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/ATClass2013), a good place to connect a name with the face.

Also, for those who will be blogging along the way, you should get your blog listed on the 2013 Appalachian Trail thru-hikers resource page (http://blog.appalachiantrials.com/appalachian-trail-thru-hiker-resources/appalachian-trail-2013/). It's a fun way for us former thru-hikers to live vicariously through the current class.

Happy hiking as always,
Badger

SawnieRobertson
08-07-2012, 09:20
If not in 2013, then when? Yes, looking at the 2013 calendar and guessing where I'll be on August 7, 2013, I suspect in Maine or the Whites enjoying some do-or-die days. Being that far north will be thanks to leapfrogging, not fast hiking (although I hike as fast as I can, y'know). Then the MidAtlantic in the fall when it should be hiked. Please, no hurricanes on the Atlantic in 2013. Regardless, the hiking is fun, and so is the planning.

wiz
11-25-2012, 18:42
Ive been planing my Thru Hike for over a year and a half now. I plan on starting on March 25th, NOBO and I also plan on doing the approach trail. Looking forward to the fresh mountain air, The Smokies, and hopefully meeting a few other modern day gypsies.

phillphd
11-25-2012, 21:31
I am planning on starting my thru June/July headed SOBO. I'd prefer to go NOBO but i graduate in May and i dont wanna feel rushed. My buddy Amplexus has been a big inspiration for doing my thru and I can't wait to be on the trail.

Keste1988
11-25-2012, 21:35
Myself and good friend of mine will be starting March 1st heading North Bound. Anyone got a good idea for a cheap winter sleeping bag?

OzJacko
11-26-2012, 05:43
I am planning on starting my thru June/July headed SOBO. I'd prefer to go NOBO but i graduate in May and i dont wanna feel rushed. My buddy Amplexus has been a big inspiration for doing my thru and I can't wait to be on the trail.
Your buddy has the best AT YouTube video of all time!!!!:D

Jeff
11-26-2012, 11:38
Your buddy has the best AT YouTube video of all time!!!!:D

Indeed he does. Amplexus is schedule to speak at the Southern Ruck Jan 19, 2013 at NOC.

The Ruck is a great hiker get together....find info here:http://www.soruck.net/

hikingshoes
11-26-2012, 13:49
My game plan is 2013 thru- hike!!!!
hikingshoes
Ps: maybe I'll get to hike the first day with my hiking friend Stick!!!!!

OzJacko
11-26-2012, 22:58
Indeed he does. Amplexus is schedule to speak at the Southern Ruck Jan 19, 2013 at NOC.

The Ruck is a great hiker get together....find info here:http://www.soruck.net/
Sorry - can't make an extra trip for the Ruck....

Hill Ape
11-27-2012, 01:57
"I went into the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to suck the marrow out of life"

What is Walden meets Dead Poets Society? What do I win Alex?

hikingshoes
01-02-2013, 00:32
My game plan is 2013 thru- hike!!!!
hikingshoes
Ps: maybe I'll get to hike the first day with my hiking friend Stick!!!!!

Due to work and finish paying my truck off,looks like its going to be 2014. I just pick up my tarptent contrail only one more item for my hammock and I be finish with my gear for my thru-hike.

stargazerj13
01-06-2013, 21:48
Trail Name: Hope to get it on the trail.
Start Date: March 18, 2013
Will be hiking with my awesome friend Mountain Butterfly.

See you all there. Can't wait.

ever4ward
03-23-2013, 07:13
Hiker advisory: With bad weather predicted, we made a reservation at Budget Inn, Franklin and a ride from Rock Gap. When we arrived at Rock Gap and called, "sorry all full" "we can try to find someone to come get you..." So much for a reservation.

We hitched in to 3 Eagles Outfitter to get our mail drop and the Hiker Shuttle was there. We asked for a ride to our hotel and got a lecture from Ron Haven on how bad the owner of Knights Inn was but he said he'd take us. When we got close he pulled off on the other side of the highway and told us we could walk. Me, wife and 11yo daughter, full packs and resup box and purchases. Ron Haven is not a nice guy folks! Hiker beware.