PDA

View Full Version : Less is More

RGB
04-13-2010, 02:16
I've been laying in my bed for about an hour now, unable to sleep, and got to thinking. Hiking (for most of us) is an activity where we go out into the wild with the bare essentials we need for survival on our backs. In other words, it is highly concerned with minimalism.

Looking around my bedroom, I'm reminded of how much hiking has affected my life by transforming it into a minimalist, low-impact lifestyle. Why have something if it's not needed? Why drive when you can get there in the same amount of time with a bike or quicker because you can weave through traffic? After only two years of hardcore hiking, I have come to the realization that less is more, and everything I now own has a purpose. If something loses its purpose, it is either donated, sold, or trashed.

I was wondering if anyone else has seen the minimalist living aspect of hiking bleed into their everyday life.

esmusssein
04-13-2010, 02:40
It's funny, because I have been thinking about this a lot lately. I just gave away half of my wardrobe, because I realized that I never wore those clothes. I wanted to give away more but was frustrated by the fact that I should probably keep some "semi-nice" clothes and some "casual" clothes and some "work" clothes, even though 95% of the time I wear a t-shirt and jeans because that is what society expects. (I am a girl, so that adds to the expectations). The whole time I was thinking about the fact that this time next year, I will be wearing one shirt everyday. It's thrilling. I would like to find a way to minimize my clothing options even more.

I also recently learned about the 100 Thing Challenge (http://www.guynameddave.com/100-thing-challenge.html) and have been attempting my own version. It doesn't sound that hard, but it is. I find that there are so many things that I keep just because I feel a sense of obligation, even though really I feel much better when my "stuff" is minimized. I just find it interesting that I too discovered this at a time when my mind is always on backpacking.

After the trail, I can see myself in a bare apartment just sleeping on the floor with my sleeping bag and pad. And it excites me. I'm tired of "stuff"!!

DocHolliday
04-13-2010, 05:56
Amen fellas.

I just got back from India, and to see how minimalistic people live is also very eye opening. The people I stayed with shower out of buckets, listen to their record player, and read/converse for entertainment.

I mean hell, sad truth is that some people in India have been living in tarp shelters their whole life. Saw it quite frequently with my own two eyes.

A tarp, a lota, and some rags. That's it.

garlic08
04-13-2010, 09:41
I like that 100 Thing Challenge. My wife's first thought was, "Does that mean we have to buy more stuff?"

A great saying I heard this year: "The less you carry, the more you'll find."

When my wife and I went on our first long hike, we "purged" most of our stuff and were pretty proud of ourselves when we fit everything into an 8' by 8' storage shed. When we came home, we couldn't believe all useless crap we kept. So we purged again and have kept on doing it.

Hiking was definitely the catalyst for a minimalist lifestyle, and it's a good way to live.

Two Speed
04-13-2010, 09:49
. . . Hiking was definitely the catalyst for a minimalist lifestyle, and it's a good way to live.Doesn't work that way for everyone, but I've gotten rid of a bunch of crap. The hard part for me is gear. See a spiffy new backpack, want spiffy new backpack. Then I remember I've got one I'm trying to get rid of.

Keith and Jack
04-13-2010, 09:54
Backpacking has definitely lead to a minimalist lifestyle for me. Unfortunately/fortunately I live with my fiancé who is my no means minimalist so that has been difficult.
is a great web site and has links to other minimalist lifestyle web sites as well.

RGB
04-13-2010, 14:27
I've also been thinking about attempting the 100 Things Challenge this summer. My roommate will be gone, so I won't be ridiculed for it (he is by no means a minimalist, and thoroughly believes that money can buy happiness).

Even as a guy, I find wardrobe something very hard to minimalize. Even though I don't wear some T-shirts anymore, I'd feel guilty letting them go because they are so sentimental (concerts, etc.).

I've also found that this type of thinking goes both ways. The more I try to be a minimalist in everyday life, the more I feel comfortable removing from my pack.

It's just a great feeling, being free of stuff. Why save up for a Beamer that gives happiness until it breaks down when you can save up for an adventure where memories will last forever?

chief
04-13-2010, 15:48
It's just a great feeling, being free of stuff. Why save up for a Beamer that gives happiness until it breaks down when you can save up for an adventure where memories will last forever?
Yeah, I know a guy who says he's thrilled with his "minimalist lifestyle". Says he doesn't have to work much to support himself. He gets all defensive when someone (me) points out his fear of work led to his meager existence in the first place. So, when he asks for a ride (his truck doesn't run no mo), I say NO. It would be wrong of me to mess with his happiness.

le loupe
04-13-2010, 15:53
Amen fellas.

I just got back from India, and to see how minimalistic people live is also very eye opening. The people I stayed with shower out of buckets, listen to their record player, and read/converse for entertainment.

I mean hell, sad truth is that some people in India have been living in tarp shelters their whole life. Saw it quite frequently with my own two eyes.

A tarp, a lota, and some rags. That's it.

I confront this professionally as an architect. I constantly think about what i believe is the quinessential living space and how few possessions I might need.

My wife isnt thrilled when I voice these kinds of ideas.

Great pic, btw. "In vino veritas"

MelNino
04-13-2010, 16:11
I truly admire anyone who can live the minimalist life style in this day and age of gizmos. I am too much of a pack rat and gear head to do so (not to mention my crippling bag addiction)

When I first got my place, it was wonderfully sparse....then people bought/dumped off crap I didn't want/they no longer wanted. I was doing well, too.

RGB
04-13-2010, 19:36
I truly admire anyone who can live the minimalist life style in this day and age of gizmos. I am too much of a pack rat and gear head to do so (not to mention my crippling bag addiction)

When I first got my place, it was wonderfully sparse....then people bought/dumped off crap I didn't want/they no longer wanted. I was doing well, too.

It is VERY hard to live the minimalist lifestyle in today's era of American consumerism. I would say that gadgets have the potential to help somewhat. When the Kindle first came out, I ridiculed it, but now I look at all the books I have (by far one of the toughest things for me to cut down on) and think that it sure would be nice to have them in a little white box. If it were similar to the iPod in that you can upload music you already have, it would definitely be my next purchase. It's just kind of pointless to buy it, and then buy all the books you already have over again.

Cali
04-13-2010, 20:01
I've lived on sailboats most of my life. It leads to a minimalist lifestyle. And although I've worked on the cutting edge of computer technology, I've been a luddite when it comes to ipods, phones, nano's, etc. I've driven a hybrid car for 10 years now, you can turn on all the lights on my boat and it will equal the power of one 100 watt bulb. I buy clothes at the good will, and you can fit my wardrobe into a duffel bag. Not to say I don't enjoy a five star dinner or hotel now and again, but I'm comfortable being homeless, jobless, and living in a tent. You should have heard the conversation I had with the car insurance company today ...... "yes, I'm going to do some traveling on the east coast, and I'm going to park my car at my Mom's house for six months. My employment? well, I'm self empoyed, where will I live? In a tent, but it's a really nice one. Do I have an address? well no .......

RGB
04-13-2010, 20:08
I've lived on sailboats most of my life. It leads to a minimalist lifestyle. And although I've worked on the cutting edge of computer technology, I've been a luddite when it comes to ipods, phones, nano's, etc. I've driven a hybrid car for 10 years now, you can turn on all the lights on my boat and it will equal the power of one 100 watt bulb. I buy clothes at the good will, and you can fit my wardrobe into a duffel bag. Not to say I don't enjoy a five star dinner or hotel now and again, but I'm comfortable being homeless, jobless, and living in a tent. You should have heard the conversation I had with the car insurance company today ...... "yes, I'm going to do some traveling on the east coast, and I'm going to park my car at my Mom's house for six months. My employment? well, I'm self empoyed, where will I live? In a tent, but it's a really nice one. Do I have an address? well no .......

I still haven't reached that level of comfort yet, but that's awesome and I applaud you for it.

Windcatcher
04-13-2010, 20:19
I'm going to start by getting rid of 100 things. I'm on board, but I have to start small. Then I'll go forward from there.

Cali
04-13-2010, 20:26
I still haven't reached that level of comfort yet, but that's awesome and I applaud you for it.

Thanks bro ... but no lauding necessary. Just bring it forward. But, hey, what else would you expect from a tree huggin, hybrid driving, UC Philosophy grad living in Berkeley?

So, what was the song from Stevie Windwood ...... "Don't take more than you give ...." And I've found, even as I approach fifty, that if you try sometimes, you get what you need ;).

Feel the love, and thanks again for the thread.

Pete

sbhikes
04-13-2010, 22:10
I wish I had become a minimalist, but sadly, no. I'm almost like one of those packrat people. I have all kinds of crap because I find it hard to throw anything away. I keep imagining some future anthropologist digging through the landfill and finding all my crap and writing a paper about my life. I have a lot of interests and lots of items to support those interests. I keep hoping that one day I'll clean it all up finally but sadly I take one look at it all and go back to surfing WhiteBlaze.

RGB
04-13-2010, 22:14
I wish I had become a minimalist, but sadly, no. I'm almost like one of those packrat people. I have all kinds of crap because I find it hard to throw anything away. I keep imagining some future anthropologist digging through the landfill and finding all my crap and writing a paper about my life. I have a lot of interests and lots of items to support those interests. I keep hoping that one day I'll clean it all up finally but sadly I take one look at it all and go back to surfing WhiteBlaze.

Wake up, brew some fresh coffee, open the windows to let the sun in, put on some good tunes, and tackle it one room at a time. If you haven't used an item in a year, then when are you?

Tilly
04-14-2010, 08:40
I think I am a reverse minimalist, just because I had a fire a few years ago. So after waking up the next day with only the clothes on my back, I have had to go from there. I finally have an apartment that is in a liveable frame (futon, stuff to cook with, linens and towels, and a stack of books) but that's pretty much it, it's just a 2 room place in an old Victorian. Truthfully I fantasize about the day that I have a couch again. And the 100 item challenge? No way could I do it. I think I already have 200 books again. That being said, next hike or move will be super easy to pack for.

clodhopper
04-14-2010, 10:39
Good thread. Ditto on the non-minimalist spouse situation. I shudder when I go into her closet.

Helped a friend of a friend move a while back. He was an older man and his garage was completely full on shelves with boxes of magazines from the 50's with the rest of the house similarly stuffed. It was an eye-opening experience.

clodhopper
04-14-2010, 10:40
Sorry for the non-minimalist use of postings.

warraghiyagey
04-14-2010, 10:59
I've been paring down the worldly possessions for years. . . got it down to a nice little, manageable amount. . . much better this way. . . :sun

Two Tents
04-14-2010, 11:21
I just helped my sister move a few weeks ago. Since then I have already put a lot of stuff in the goodwill pile. All the things she had saved and wouldn't part with made me think of my own pile of seemingly important goods. I am on the path to making my life more simple. I am sure I read it here somewhere, something to the effect, "You don't truly own anything you cannot carry on a dead run"- How true!

Ladytrekker
04-14-2010, 12:32
I have found since I started hiking that my gear is the only thing I really think about. Items that use to be important to me no longer hold much meaning. I have no desire to own a home and I have started putting the stuff I have in storage on ebay for sale. Other than my grown son my truck is my best asset. I do like my truck.

warraghiyagey
04-14-2010, 13:21
If you can move all your stuff in one trip in your pick-up, you've definitely embraced 'less is more' . . . it's been a very freeing feeling. . . :sun:sun:sun

RGB
04-14-2010, 18:49
The car challenge is another admirable goal. I would be satisfied with accomplishing the 100 Things Challenge or the Car Challenge, whichever came first. Glad to see there are so many others out there either already living a simpler life or at least trying to.

fiddlehead
04-14-2010, 21:57
I find that for a year or two after a thru-hike, I simplify my life considerably.
But, it gradually builds up again. I like toys (gadgets) too much.

Years ago, I would do another thru every other year or so.
Now, I haven't done one in 6 years.
I have more stuff than i have in decades.

Of course living in 3 different places doesn't help.

moytoy
04-20-2010, 22:19
Lets see, what can I get rid of? Not the welder I just bought! Not the sewing machine, not the concrete mixer, not the 30+ power hand tools, not the table saw, not the band saw my dad bought in 1947, not any of my grand daddys guns. No nothing that gives me pleasure. Anybody who says I don't need those things is as Loco as my WIFE! I get rid of my stuff and I might as well be a hermit! Oh Oh! Honey come back! come back!

Connie
04-21-2010, 00:41
Perfect. I am like you!

Yet, I convince myself I fully embrace minimalism.

I like to have really great stuff. To make it truly great, the stuff has to be an achievement of "lightweight" design and materials. No over-built stuff for me.

Spare furnishings, but beauty of proportion.

Less is more. Small is beautiful.

Nah!

I love stuff. It must have the right qualities, that's all.

Only then, less is more.

daddytwosticks
04-21-2010, 07:30
I'd rather have one or two really nice things (high-quality, well made, practical things that live forever) than a garage full of junk and crap. :)

RGB
04-21-2010, 11:17
I'd rather have one or two really nice things (high-quality, well made, practical things that live forever) than a garage full of junk and crap. :)

Exactly. :)

moytoy
04-21-2010, 16:43

That begs the question. What two really fine things you gonna keep. Just wondering.

Lumberjack2003
04-21-2010, 18:38
Great thread.

I finally got my wife to start thinking this way. Our newest task is to eat all the food in our home. All the cans in the pantry, everything frozen in the frig, etc...

safn1949
04-21-2010, 18:41
I took a different route.I watched my house burn down (almost with me in it) in 2006.No insurance (rented) = minimal stuff overnight.

I simply kept it that way from then on,thus I have more disposable income and less stuff to trip over.:D

RGB
04-21-2010, 20:01
I took a different route.I watched my house burn down (almost with me in it) in 2006.No insurance (rented) = minimal stuff overnight.

I simply kept it that way from then on,thus I have more disposable income and less stuff to trip over.:D

Sorry for your loss. I'm not wishing house fires on anyone, but I'm sure an experience like that would make us all question what is really valuable and worth replacing (if it could be at all).

garlic08
04-21-2010, 20:06
An old saying I just heard today goes, "Three moves are as good as a fire."

fredmugs
04-22-2010, 07:44
The 100 thing challenge sounds intriguing but I bring like 7 pairs of socks for a section hike so I don't think I can do it.

I have more of a 1 year challenge. I go through my house and if I haven't used it in the last year I give it to charity.

safn1949
04-22-2010, 09:41
Sorry for your loss. I'm not wishing house fires on anyone, but I'm sure an experience like that would make us all question what is really valuable and worth replacing (if it could be at all).

Thanks.You are exactly right,I would catch myself thinking months later "oh darn,I lost my snowshoes to" and then say "so what,I haven't used them in years."

In retrospect it was a blessing of sorts,it allowed me to realize what was important in my life and it's not possessions.I was able to move on with a 10th of the stuff I used to have.Now if I don't use something (other then backpacking equipment) in a years time I get rid of it because I have found that it's just clutter that never will be used....a possession.:D

Two Speed
04-22-2010, 11:25
I'm finding a fair amount of backpacking gear that I thought was essential really isn't.

RGB
04-22-2010, 14:12
The 100 thing challenge sounds intriguing but I bring like 7 pairs of socks for a section hike so I don't think I can do it.

I have more of a 1 year challenge. I go through my house and if I haven't used it in the last year I give it to charity.

I've started making a list of my 100 items and I think I'm going to come in at around 150. Pretty damn difficult. Not sure what I'm going to do next.

Two Speed
04-22-2010, 17:56
Website I'm finding interesting: http://zenhabits.net/.

Cookerhiker
04-22-2010, 18:02
My minimalist efforts are meager - small house, going carless on many days, not a lot of household gadgets, and best of all: no TV - but my daughter has adopted minimalist living, not from hiking but from her 2 years in an African village in the Peace Corps.

safn1949
04-22-2010, 18:45
Website I'm finding interesting: http://zenhabits.net/.

Interesting first page,a bit out there from then on.But hey...to each his own.:D

tortoise1
04-26-2010, 13:47
I think that most of the long distance hikers I know, and those I have met seem to feel this way. Not to get off topic, but this thread got me to thinking about this whole thing, and what I remember about my last long hike was that I could not sleep in my bed, or even on the couch for the longest time. I would try, and try, an always woke up on the floor.

Connie
04-26-2010, 21:36
I got a brickboard (4x8 three-quarter inch thick) on top of the closet, the bathroom door and the front door moulding at college. I supported the other corner with a 4x4. I turned the metal lampshade around on the ceiling lighting near me.

I had a backpack, of course, and a sleeping pad, my sleeping bag, my clothing I could wear and carry in that backpack and my schoolbooks and notebooks for that school quarter only.

I have to say, that kind of "minimalism" was fine with me.

I didn't even have a bicycle. I walked.

Now, the thought of limiting myself to 100 items seems "not for me". I know I need to change out, Summer and Winter. I know I need certain stuff to "overwinter" in Montana.

I keep stuff to build my house in storage: tools, big tools. Materials for a small house.

But, I saw a picture of a "treehouse" the other day and I thought a "treehouse" would be real nice just above the housesite, instead of the house.

Bare Bear
04-29-2010, 11:21
Does beer count as stuff'?
Seriously, I have always wondered if Minimalists Hike or Hikers tend to be Minimalists. Its that which came first paradox again.

erichkopp
04-29-2010, 14:10
Right now the only possessions I have are my car and what will fit inside it, and I still have more things than I need. I have lots of hobbies, but many of those (cycling, hiking, etc) have allowed me to see more of the world around me.

garlic08
05-02-2010, 12:01
Here are some appropriate comments I just found on this site, http://sectionhiker.com/golite-ultralight-down-quilt-raffle-winner/:

Going lightweight on the trail has helped me to develop a new approach to life overall. I’d gone through years of collecting things, hoping that with the next electronic gizmo or fashionable piece of furniture I’d somehow find myself feeling complete…..Simplification goes well beyond backpacking. I’ve taken this opportunity to sell and donate many of the things that I once hoped would give my life meaning. I now approach life with the idea that it isn’t whether or not I have something for every occasion, but rather how I use what I’ve got creatively and efficiently. — Emmett

For me, the whole idea of getting out is to get away from everything. How can you get away from everything when you bring it all with you? Plus I really want to teach my kids that it is possible to live without all that “stuff!” – Aaron

There are lots more comments about going lighter improving the hiking, but these relate nicely to life in general.

Tilly
05-02-2010, 12:11
Thanks.You are exactly right,I would catch myself thinking months later "oh darn,I lost my snowshoes to" and then say "so what,I haven't used them in years."

In retrospect it was a blessing of sorts,it allowed me to realize what was important in my life and it's not possessions.I was able to move on with a 10th of the stuff I used to have.Now if I don't use something (other then backpacking equipment) in a years time I get rid of it because I have found that it's just clutter that never will be used....a possession.:D

I'm glad this kind of worked out for you. I am still missing the stuff I lost during my fire. For instance, lately I REALLY REALLY miss my sewing machine and all the accoutrements that go along with it. I would work on a project whenever I wanted. And I miss all my books and pictures...and a few other things (okay, a lot of other things.)

Admittedly, though, even before the fire I kept a tidy, 1 br. apartment that wasn't really cluttered. I see into some people's apartments/garages/houses and I shudder...

Anyway, living somewhere with public transp. really lets you simplify. My bf and I have one (sm, paid for, fuel efficient) car between us, and we fill up once every three weeks. I take the bus or ride my bike to get to where I need to go. He often walks. Plus we live downtown, so library, farmer's markets, restaurants, bike shop, etc. are very close by and walkable.

Ironically I feel more trapped when I have a car but am dependant on it for EVERYTHING, rather than when I am car less. I have so many other options than using the car.

stranger
05-02-2010, 14:34
My entire existence in terms of assets can go on an airplane, I just arrived in the US from Australia and fit everything in a 90 liter bag, 50 liter pack, and 50 liter bag, plus a shoulder bag...that's it, that's everything I have, and I don't "need" half of it, just not willing to part with some things.

Granted, I will buy things as I need them, but I buy things based on:
- what I need at any given time (bed, car, etc...)
- who I'm giving my money to
- it's worth to me, or value
- how easily I can get rid of it

People often say you live based on your means...I completely disagree, yes, many people do this, but last year I earned $42/hour all year and don't own a TV, computer, car, Iphone, Ipod, etc...

I do own three tents however....priorities!

sbhikes
05-02-2010, 18:04
I got rid of 3/4 of a pickup bed full of clothes and shoes yesterday. One small step...

Megan1125
05-03-2010, 20:49
An old saying I just heard today goes, "Three moves are as good as a fire."

I couldn't agree more considering I have been a student my entire life! I just finished my Masters Degree but have been moving every year or 2 in between. I HATE moving so this keeps me on my toes to acquire as little as possible so I don't have to move it! I tend to not ever get attached to material possessions. The only "stuff" that my fiance and I have a lot of are "toys". We both have all sorts of kayaks, skis/snowboards, car parts, hunting/fishing equipment, etc. However this I don't mind because we use it fairly often. We are planning another move in 6 weeks and I am DREADING it!

modiyooch
05-03-2010, 21:16
I was wondering if anyone else has seen the minimalist living aspect of hiking bleed into their everyday life.
I mainly see it when I travel. (The less I pack, the less I have to unpack) I never check luggage. I'm creative with my carry on. Keep in mind I'm female, so I think it's a major accomplishment esp with shoes.

modiyooch
05-03-2010, 21:17
I got rid of 3/4 of a pickup bed full of clothes and shoes yesterday. One small step...
Dang girl. That's a huge step.

JAK
05-03-2010, 23:51
I've learned to live quite compatibly with a spouse who is not minimalist. It helps having a daughter, so that my wife will buy stuff for her instead of for me. Rather like having a sacrificial anode. Or am I the anode and she the cathode? Not sure. lol. Anyhow, occassional she does buy me something, usually a sale that was hard to pass up, like a $1 pair of slip on crocks to slip into and out of when I go out the back door. I don't really need them, but I'm usually not the one cleaning the floors either. So I guess I have learned to slip into and out of minimalism as the need arises. ;)

Backpacking has certainly been the catalyst for me.
It took some adjustment, because initially it was more stuff, but now it is less.

Nean
05-04-2010, 02:32
Well...more or less.:-? I just came up w/ a new qoute: Live Simply, am I a genius or what(ever)...;)

MelNino
05-06-2010, 21:15
Well, I did good for me!!! Had a bit of an emotional...problem....and decided to rid myself of junk.

I have about 15 trash bags for Goodwill and 5 actual trash. The GW will ones will go this weekend, and I dumped all the trash. It was actually easy...I just threw stuff in bags, not looking back. Some things I did not part with yet....

One room down...3 more to go

modiyooch
05-06-2010, 21:22
My problem is that I have paperwork dating back 30-40 years. I have every paycheck, tax form, check, cc, power bill, etc.
I almost was convinced to trash some of this stuff and darn if the cable company didn't want me to prove that I bought my modem from them 8 years ago. They decided to charge me leasing after 8 years as if they had made a mistake.

modiyooch
05-06-2010, 21:27
It helps to completely gut a room and remodel. I redid my kitchen. Boxed 20 yrs worth of stuff. It took me 3 years to unpack the boxes. Obviously, I didn't need the stuff in the boxes, but I had to go through them for the few keepsake items.

longhiker
05-07-2010, 09:47
My non-hiking life is actually more messy as a result... at least the gear room. The further I want to lighten my pack, the more small random objects I own to take on different trips. I have a canister stoove and an alcohol stove. A car camping tent and a small backpacking one... a large cup and a small cup.. a 2 person emergency blanket and a 1 person one... goes on :)

RGB
05-07-2010, 10:33

Nice! I'm actually about to do the same myself in a few minutes, if I can tear myself away from WB. Not nearly as much as you, but two giant IKEA bags full. I'm about to take another step that I wasn't willing to take before, and that's getting rid of every book that I have already read, excluding Into the Wild, my Bible, and the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. I feel after selling these books and clothes, I should be able to have enough for a Kindle. I made fun of it on here a while back, but that was before I found out you can get free books by authors' whose copyrights had expired. So that's free Dostoyevsky, Tolstoy, and more importantly, free Doyle! It will be like turning my bookcase into a little white box. I guess my kids will be some of the stupid ones if we lose electricity and go into another dark age.

I'm really glad this thread has gotten so many replies and is still going strong! Whenever I hear someone's story of how they live a minimalist, sustainable lifestyle, it just encourages me to go further.

JAK
05-07-2010, 11:55
Yes indeed, less is more.
Recently I've been having to get by with less alot more.

JAK
05-07-2010, 11:56
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo

MelNino
05-07-2010, 13:30
Tomorrow I drop off my 15 bags at Goodwill!! Something next week, I shall hit the basement....most of that stuff can get tossed.

Felt really good...though many steps foward, a few back....I *did* order some Keen sandals, and there is an REI bag I want. Well, I do have a b-day coming up..

Okay, I'll get rid of 5 more bags for Goodwill and however many needed of trash. And it burns calories! Win!!

fw2008
05-07-2010, 15:32
This thread has inspired me!
I have way too much stuff; a lot of it old and useless electronics.
I used to believe I had to have every new gadget or software item that came along.

Several years ago, after becoming frustrated with all the things I have accumulated, I made a promise to myself: I will not buy any new things unless they are to replace an old one, and I get rid of the old. At least this way, I don't accumulate any more stuff.

Now today, after having read this very inspiring thread, I have started going through all the worthless (and maybe some of it is actually worth something to someone) stuff in the attic, and am getting rid of junk, and maybe I will sell what has some value on Ebay or another site.

I just got finished going through old books that I had bought. Some I read, but others I never got to before I completely lost interest in the subject.
It just happens that this week, my library is accepting donations of books for their annual sale. So I am dropping off about 50 books for them. I am happy to be giving someone else a chance to purchase this book at a very low cost, and to help the library make some money.

I don't think I could ever get myself down to 100 things, but just getting rid of the stuff I haven't used in years is a big help. It's good mood therapy:)

FW

fw2008
05-07-2010, 15:34
Tomorrow I drop off my 15 bags at Goodwill!! Something next week, I shall hit the basement....most of that stuff can get tossed.

Felt really good...though many steps foward, a few back....I *did* order some Keen sandals, and there is an REI bag I want. Well, I do have a b-day coming up..

Okay, I'll get rid of 5 more bags for Goodwill and however many needed of trash. And it burns calories! Win!!
Thanks for the goodwill reminder. I usually put stuff out for the Vietnam Vets.
I have a lot of old T-shirts I have accumulated from all of the races I have run (they always give you a t-shirt when you pick up your race packet), so I'll be going through my clothing stash after I get done with my electronics:)

FW

longhiker
05-07-2010, 16:32
There are 2 senses in which one can be minimalist.
There is a constant stream of products:

Industries -----> Your House ------> Trash

"Minimalist" in this thread just seems to refer to how much stuff is in Your House at a given time. It does not say anything about the flux of products moving through your house to the trash. You may have only 10 objects in your house but you could be throwing those 10 away everyday and buying 10 others.

I think it is more important to reduce the flux of products through this scheme. One way to do that is to decide you are not going to throw anything away! Hopefully you'll stop buying things at some point as a result. I would call that minimalist too , even though you might have accumulated a lot of stuff (or not)....

longhiker
05-07-2010, 16:37
The Goodwill references suggest another definition of minimalist -- just how much trash you generate.

So you may keep buying stuff (best if used) but don't throw them away. Instead you donate them in usable condition. This keeps a flux going but not from industries to the trash. Instead it is a circulating loop amongst people..

I just feel bad throwing away anything into the trash.. this makes me accumulate a bit but I try to find alternative uses for things I own before buying something new.

MelNino
05-07-2010, 20:00
I hate throwing anything away....to get the 5 bags of trash, I just had to drink and not think about it.

I will never be a minimalist, but I can cut back some....maybe

EasternBox
05-07-2010, 20:01
My girlfriend and I have done the "100 thing challenge" and now we feel sooo great!

We sold old cameras, DVD's, calculators, phones, and all our electronic crap to gazelle.com. I highly recommend it, as you get money back for your stuff you don't want!

JAK
05-07-2010, 22:07
I tried that 100 thing challenge with my old girlfriend but she stopped me and the 3rd thing.

garlic08
05-07-2010, 22:19
In case you haven't seen it yet, check this out: http://www.storyofstuff.com/

RGB
05-07-2010, 22:20
There are 2 senses in which one can be minimalist.
There is a constant stream of products:

Industries -----> Your House ------> Trash

"Minimalist" in this thread just seems to refer to how much stuff is in Your House at a given time. It does not say anything about the flux of products moving through your house to the trash. You may have only 10 objects in your house but you could be throwing those 10 away everyday and buying 10 others.

I think it is more important to reduce the flux of products through this scheme. One way to do that is to decide you are not going to throw anything away! Hopefully you'll stop buying things at some point as a result. I would call that minimalist too , even though you might have accumulated a lot of stuff (or not)....

I may or may not have mentioned something about sustainable living in one of my previous posts, but thanks for expounding on this.

fw2008
05-07-2010, 22:29
I agree with Longhiker.
If you keep buying stuff, and throwing it into the trash when you're done with it, you're helping the economy to grow, but that's all.
I have stopped buying stuff, except for a few software upgrades, which don't cause anything to go into the trash, since I usually keep the CD's from a couple versions back, or I have downloaded the sw, so there's nothing to trash:)

I am recycling as much stuff as I can. Old cell phones get mailed out.
I take other electronics to my local recycling depot. I don't know what they're doing with the stuff, but at least I don't have to pay anyone to haul it away.

I've got a Sony Clie PEG NX 70V/U that works, but have no more use for it. I don't like to throw stuff that still works out, but I really feel more encumbered by these gadgets now than I have use for them.
I will probably end up just dropping the thing into the recycling bin one day.

It's just amazing at how much junk I have accumulated!
I went through tub 1 of 7 in my attic today, and threw a lot of stuff out. But there is so much more up there.
I am annoyed at myself for having gone through such a long period of accumulating electronics gadgetry. It hurts to think of how much more money I would have in the bank if I hadn't spent so much.
I could have easily afforded the new, lighter gear I want, and supplies for an AT thru-hike.
I think I would have been a lot better off if, when I was in my younger days, I had spent more time on the trail, and less at home playing with gadgets.

I probably would have done at least 3 thru-hikes by now, and so far I haven't done one:(

FW

Bucherm
05-12-2010, 05:13
I could never do the 100 Things challenge. I just love books too dang much. :D

I have given thought to getting something like a Kindle, but it just ain't quite there yet...:-?

Bronk
05-12-2010, 06:19
When I was planning my hike I quickly realized that my crap wasn't worth what it would cost me to move it and put it in storage for 6 months. So I sold, gave away or threw away just about everything I owned. When all was said and done I had 4 rubbermaid storage boxes and 3 suitcases left...and three of those storage boxes were filled with books.

For three years I never owned much more than that...furniture, when I had it, was a $10 stool and a $99 futon. Now that I've bought some land and built a small cabin (about than 400 sq ft) I've accumulated a bit more stuff...needed some tools to build with, garden with, chop wood, etc, etc. But I always say that if I had to pack up and leave I would be ready in less than 1/2 an hour.

I don't have running water or electricity...I still use my headlamp on a daily basis after it gets dark...which is truly a testament to the durability of Petzel products...8 years of almost daily use and its still going strong.

erichkopp
05-12-2010, 14:36
Bronk, where in Florida do you live? Sounds really cool, but it must be hot in the summer time!

IsNotAHome
05-14-2010, 13:57
I have similar attitudes, but realize in your meta-exsistnes (life and death) that life is only a small part of it all. All the stuff you own will disintergrate within a few moments of your passing, all of which been carved out of the earth and amassed together and eventually they will return. So don’t worry about it. Have stuff, have fun (bicycles, hiking gear, firearms, cars, musical instrument, books, communications devices, food and drink paraphanelia, clothes, navigation devices, Computer, hygene equipment).
I assume people who have posted so far plan on keeping their hiking gear, now what if you have other hobbies besides hiking, does that make you more of a materialist because you want more stuff?
Think of this, if you were sitting naked in the forest unwashed for days, would you be able to attract a mate? I guarantee most males couldn’t, why? Because males are supposed to provide stuff (though I assume females would have no trouble at all).
The stuff you own should just be tools to manipulate your surroundings. I find something extremely funny. There have been creative people who have made our life much more comfortable and pleasant by designing and inventing things like towels, cars, nice living spaces et cetera. All things meant to be used to make your life better. Now how many people do you know who keep a car in showroom condition, who have towels that are just for show and who have a living area just for “entertainment”. It’s almost like these uncreative people saw the creative people and their associates gaining the advantage of drying oneself off, moving very fast and comfortably, and having a comfortable and nice living area and thought that alone was why they were happy. So they run out and get these things, prop them up and keep them shiny for everyone to see. Like some sort of religious idol.
Minimalism is just a reaction to that misperception. Besides, if you don’t have much stuff you still have minimalism.
My answer: have whatever you want, just don’t become too preoccupied with your items. If I have a friend who broke an expensive item of mine, I would be more concerned with my friends understanding that I was ok with it than I would be with the item itself.
When I was young I saved up for a toy I really wanted. On my way home I was thinking how wonderful it would be to loose the toy at a bus stop so some kid less-fortunate than myself could find it. I’ve never forgotten that sentiment but I do not remember what I ever did with that toy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvgN5gCuLac

earplug94
05-18-2010, 09:55
The trail has totally done this to me. I find myself getting rid of so many things continually. I really don't desire things like my friends do. I see the complexity and trouble that they afford. My car is old and basic. I don't want more. There is a wonderful peace that I find in not having so many things weighing on my shoulders. My mind is heavy enough--- :) Material things bring happiness (?) to alot of folks. But, have you noticed that it lasts for a bit and then it usually ends up in a closet and the glamour fades. I try to concentrate on the things that don't fade with time. That is my criteria for keeping it or not. At least that is what I try to do. Excuse me- that is my doorbell. My new 95" inch plasma tv with cup holders just came in. Gotta go.

JAK
05-18-2010, 10:43
At least in part, minimalism often begins as some form of learned helplessness.
Still, not a bad start, and from the helplessness a simple way forward is found.

flemdawg1
05-18-2010, 14:02
I just think we live in such an affluent society that we've developed 2 never before seen diseases: obesity and hoarding.

Its all about balance.

RGB
05-18-2010, 15:12
I just think we live in such an affluent society that we've developed 2 never before seen diseases: obesity and hoarding.

Its all about balance.

I'm convinced that a good percentage of America is addicted to shopping as if it's a drug. They buy something, feel happy about their new purchase, and a week later they've forgotten about it and are out shopping again so they can be "happy" again. It's a temporary high, the supply is infinite, and it's completely legal.

JAK
05-18-2010, 15:30
It is interesting to consider why we eat and shop so much. We are wired certain ways so that we can adapt and survive in a natural environment. Modern society and advertising is geared towards bending this around to suit their needs. We would do well to de-program ourselves from modern society and advertising, and reprogram ourselves to a more natural disposition. We need to really think twice before we eat or spend, and ask ourselves WHO we are really doing it for.

MelNino
05-18-2010, 15:34
I agree spending is an addiction, and one I am trying to break (I have been good since my initial purge, and only bought a food and a few books.) I still have the string urge to hoard and gain new "things," and have started to collect a few rocks I find on my walks....though this goes against LNT. Hiissssss.

GGS2
05-18-2010, 16:10

Its all about balance.Hey flemdawg1,

These are not such new diseases, you know. In many cultures, extra fat is considered a mark of affluence, and thus of beauty. And hoarding is by no means new. Whenever there have been threats of scarcity, there has been hoarding.

In fact, all the excesses have been around a long time. That's how we got to be the way we are now! The difference is that we now have more license to indulge them. Also, specific to obesity, our diet has changed since sugar (and latterly high fructose corn syrup), corn fed meat and refined, processed food have become cheap and common. In that respect, it is the American disease, although it has been building for many years. Since the conquest in America. However, like hiking diets, when people are active all day long, they can afford at least some of this abuse.

But its a big topic, and there's lots to say about it.