PDA

View Full Version : Ed Garvey Shelter in Maryland

spirit
11-05-2002, 15:34
This is a very nice shelter with a seperate enterance for the loft. The loft is set above the large opening so it cuts down on the draft but has the windows to allow for the openness. The privy is also log with round thick glass windows(that you can not see through)plus it doesn't smell. Take the time to enjoy this one.:D

Hammock Hanger
11-05-2002, 16:06
Can ya believe I didn't take a picture of that privy??? Out of film. I did get a pic of the shelter before running out. See photo gallery, shelter. Hammock Hanger

Peaks
11-05-2002, 17:28
Maintainers tell me that you can't build privies in Maryland anymore. Consequently, the Garvery privy has a holding tank that gets pumped out.

PushingDaisies
12-16-2002, 13:09
Pull the picnic table out from the shelter at night, otherwise the local raccoon will use it to get close enough to your food to jump and pull it down.

We read about raccoon sightings from previous nights, and decided to pull the table out as far as we could. Good thing we did, because the darned thing STILL tried to jump at the food bags!

Thank Goodness we had decided to sleep upstairs in the loft (real stairs up the back of the shelter with a door you can pull shut) otherwise we would have been sharing space with a raccoon for a very confusing few moments. I watched the thing for a few minutes from the loft upstairs. Kinda funny as long as I knew the creature wasn't going to get my food.

TOW
07-25-2005, 06:41
now if they'll just bring the water source up to the shelter and put a wood stove in there along with a caretaker, preferably a hiker babe, and have live music during the thru hiker season. and.......

neo
07-25-2005, 07:40
i stayed there in may 2003,the nicest shelter on the trail,:cool: neo

Lone Wolf
07-25-2005, 07:42
No More Shelters!

neo
07-25-2005, 10:34
now if they'll just bring the water source up to the shelter and put a wood stove in there along with a caretaker, preferably a hiker babe, and have live music during the thru hiker season. and.......

do ya still have the hots for hillary clinton:cool: neo

Lone Wolf
07-25-2005, 10:36
Hilary? Hell no! She's a skank. Janet Reno, now she's a babe! :banana

Skyline
07-25-2005, 11:43
Is the memorial (photos, memorabilia, writings) to Ed Garvey still there in the loft? I was there the weekend after it was dedicated and found the memorial--and the shelter--very impressive.

What was missing: Useable tentsites and a more convenient water source. The first they could (and may have by now ) do something about, the latter probably not.

Smile
07-25-2005, 16:43
Awesome shelter, and .4 down to the H20.

TOW
07-25-2005, 19:13
do ya still have the hots for hillary clinton:cool: neomy mouth slobbers everytime i see her.....

TOW
07-25-2005, 19:14
Hilary? Hell no! She's a skank. Janet Reno, now she's a babe! :bananayour whacked, hillary is a hottie fer sure...

neo
07-25-2005, 20:46
Hilary? Hell no! She's a skank. Janet Reno, now she's a babe! :banana
you have the hotts for janet reno?yuck:cool: neo

Crash
07-25-2005, 22:57
The front of it is wiiiiide open.
Everyone got soaked when the rain and wind started blowing.
It was also the weekend party and boy/girl scout and every other youth group and college kid hangout and get drunk and party past midnite spot.
but that was my experience last year. but it was nice for a lunch break. :confused: