PDA

View Full Version : Where's the Rest of Me?

ridgewalker777
10-16-2004, 22:28
Remember the Ronald Reagan movie where he wakes up in a hospital bed having had his legs decapitated? That was the feeling I got recently walking through the parts of the Connecticut Appalachian Trail that were lopped off in the late 80's. Macedonia Brook and the Cobble Mountain ridge--cut off, with the valley hike over to its present road crossing. The hike up to the eastern ridge from Mohawk Mountain, Cream Hill and other ridges, down to Dean's Ravine, etc. A good 20 miles were lost in the re-routes. The sections lost are largely on state land now. Would it really be so difficult to salvage some of the lost sections? It probably would be a huge logistical problem.

Kerosene
10-17-2004, 00:19
I hiked CT during a cold week at the end of March 1975. I clearly remember the shelter next to Macedonia Brook, climbing hand-over-hand what felt like a 50-foot escarpment in the state park, Cathedral Pines, and the picturesque, snowmelt-heavy waterfall at Dean's Ravine (http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/265/password/0/sort/1/cat/all/page/1). Lovely route.

ridgewalker777
10-17-2004, 09:11
Thanks Kerosene. Nice pictures!