PDA

View Full Version : shepherds pie

Grinder
04-13-2010, 08:49
This recipe brought me great pleasure, after a 15 mile day.

Requires two freezer bags

Meat.
1/2 cup of gravel
1 Tbsp each, Onion, leeks, celery, carrots, peas (maybe some others??)
1/2 package of gravy mix (I used mushroom gravy)

Potatos
1 cup of flakes add liberal olive oil when rehydrating.

Boil 2 cups water
1 cup in meat bag and the second in the potato bag

Cosy for 10 minutes or so.

Add meat bag to potato bag and eat. This was a really big portion. It was all I could do to finish it.

Gray Blazer
04-13-2010, 08:58
Gravel? No wonder they call you Grinder.

Keep grinding on. I wish I could join you.

How was the Bash? Did you see my pics hanging in the Sapphire lobby?

Lellers
04-13-2010, 13:54
Sounds great! I made a white and sweet potato mash here at home last night for dinner. Had some leftovers, so it's going into the dehydrator. When dry, I'll grind into a powder and package for the trail. I think I'll try your recipe with my sweet/white potato mixture.

Gray Blazer
04-14-2010, 07:07
I don't want to make fun of Grinder. When it comes to hiking, he is the real deal. All of his gear is homemade. He even made a backpacking knife out of an old file. His backpack is homemade. And, obviously, he knows how to eat well on the trail.

Hike on , Grinder.

Doctari
04-14-2010, 10:18
Gravel? My guess is pre cooked dried "Meat" of some sort. I like this idea, looks like something you could throw together even at resupply on the AT from your local grocery.
It's copied to my "On trail recipes" list now. Thanks!

Gray Blazer
04-14-2010, 11:41
I thought maybe it was gravy. I googled "gravel" cuz I am just a moron.

Loneoak
04-14-2010, 13:03
Gravel = dehydrated burger

Loneoak
04-14-2010, 13:06
Grinder, are you using quart size bags ?

thanks

Gray Blazer
04-15-2010, 07:12
Thank you. I guess I would have known that if I ws into dehydrating.:o

JAK
04-15-2010, 09:05
That sounds really good. I might like to try it with oats instead of potatoes. I would also want to add some turnip or rhutabaga. I wonder if turnip and rhutabaga dehydrate and hydrate well enough. Wonder also if it might help to add some oil, or does the hamburger gravel hold enough already? I would guess that it does.

Graywolf
04-15-2010, 11:35

Thanks for clearifying that..I was about to post a question on what size gravel, course or fine.??:D

Looks good ..I will have to try this out...

Thanks for sharing..

Graywolf

RichardD
04-15-2010, 20:52
Since I am English, transplanted to Texas, Shepherds Pie is a staple, both at home and on the trail.
On trail, I use freeze dried vegetables, any kind and several diffrent kinds. For meat I have used TVM or Freeze dried hamburger meat (I guess that is what you are calling gravel), plenty of dried onion and perhaps dried mushrooms. All of these go into a ziplock. Separately hydrate some potato flakes, (I do this in my coffee cup) mix in a few herbs and spread over the top of the Hydrated meat and vegetables. An added touch would be a slice of cheese on top. It is almost Shepherds Pie, it needs Worcester sauce which I don't carry on trail but it does make a very substantial dinner and it tastes very good in camp after a day of hiking.

Farr Away
04-19-2010, 14:21
... it needs Worcester sauce which I don't carry on trail ...

I've cooked hamburger with Worcester before dehydrating it. That might shorten its shelf life, but I store mine in the freezer so don't worry about it.

skinewmexico
04-19-2010, 21:25
I'll have to dehydrate some hamburger and try that. Got a new dehydrator for Christmas, and still haven't used it. I bought a big jug of TVP, and it's not really working for me.

sarbar
04-20-2010, 21:52
it needs Worcester sauce

PSSSTTTTT! You can get that in powder form http://www.packitgourmet.com/Worcestershire-Powder-p342.html :)
I love it.