PDA

View Full Version : One tough dude, 100 miler runner

John B
04-13-2010, 09:21
My neighbor's bro, Jeff, age 47, did his first 100-mile trail ultra on April 2 -- the Umstead near Raleigh, NC. He'd done several 40- and 50-mile trail ultras but this was the first 100 miler. Came in 50th out of 133 finishers (about 250 started), with a great time of 22:21.

Winning male ran the 100 miles in a freaking unreal 13:23 (that's an 8:02 pace), winning female an equally freaking unreal 15:58.

Neighbor said her brother felt fine at the end of the race. Went to his hotel room to sleep. Sometime during the night, he woke up to take a pee, stood up, and passed out. He fell face forward and broke his nose, broke the palete in the roof of the mouth, and broke a vertabrae in his neck. Now he's in a neck brace for 4-6 weeks and can only eat liquids or soft foods. But word has it he said it was worth it! Ha!
:banana

Jeff (before the fall):

Pedaling Fool
04-13-2010, 09:49
My neighbor's bro, Jeff, age 47, did his first 100-mile trail ultra on April 2 -- the Umstead near Raleigh, NC. He'd done several 40- and 50-mile trail ultras but this was the first 100 miler. Came in 50th out of 133 finishers (about 250 started), with a great time of 22:21.

Winning male ran the 100 miles in a freaking unreal 13:23 (that's an 8:02 pace), winning female an equally freaking unreal 15:58.

Neighbor said her brother felt fine at the end of the race. Went to his hotel room to sleep. Sometime during the night, he woke up to take a pee, stood up, and passed out. He fell face forward and broke his nose, broke the palete in the roof of the mouth, and broke a vertabrae in his neck. Now he's in a neck brace for 4-6 weeks and can only eat liquids or soft foods. But word has it he said it was worth it! Ha!
:banana

Jeff (before the fall):
That happens to me after a really hard workout, but never fell (I just get light-headed, but never pass-out)

However, I'm sure I'd fall after that -- an amazing feat, he is one tough dude.

JJJ
04-13-2010, 12:10
Congrats, to Jeff. Thats tough about the fall.
Look's like he did the Mitchell Challenge this year or last, too.
I had a few friends there, but didn't feel I was ready for the Challenge this year.

sherrill
04-13-2010, 12:12
Hey John,

Your pic of him is from the Black Mountain marathon...Raleigh got some snow but not that much, or is that high up. :D

I did this last year. Kicked my azz, but I'm training to do it next year.

http://www.active.com/running/black-mountain-nc/mount-mitchell-challenge-and-black-mountain-marathon-2010

John B
04-13-2010, 12:33
That's the only pic of him that I had. Yeah, he did the Mitchell challenge, too. I'll try to post some of the Umstead AND of "after the fall."

sherrill
04-13-2010, 12:42
He is in waaay better shape than I was. I couldn't manage a smile at that point. And believe me, I'm going nowhere near the Umstead endurance run. Them folks nuts.

John B
04-13-2010, 12:45
Here he is at the finish looking happy and in good shape.

The next pic is after passing out and breaking nose, roof of mouth, and a vertebrae. Ain't a pretty site at all. Poor bastard, but I seriously admire anyone who can run that kind of ultra.

sherrill
04-13-2010, 13:30
I quit. This is proof that exercise is bad for you...hehe