PDA

View Full Version : Glasses or contacts

Arwin
04-13-2010, 14:21
it might be a stupid question but which is better to take on a through hike. I would think glasses but I'm not sure. I'M blind without either so i would be wearing them the entire time whichever i decide to take.

RGB
04-13-2010, 14:29
Definitely glasses IMO. I find contacts to be a pain in everyday life, I can't imagine dealing with them on the trail. Have fun on your hike!

ChinMusic
04-13-2010, 14:32
If your vision is such that you would have trouble continuing, I would def have some pair of bulletproof glasses as a backup. I once dropped my glasses off a bridge into a shallow creek below. If I had not been with someone, who retrieved it for me, I would have been in a bit of trouble.

I cannot comment on contacts.

I have since had Lasik so no issues now.

Mountain Wildman
04-13-2010, 14:32
I wear glasses for distance, I can't use contacts due to a prior injury. Even if I did wear contacts I would use glasses for hiking or camping. A lot harder to lose your glasses than a contact lens.

Lellers
04-13-2010, 15:09
Like you, I can't see without some correction. I have a clear field of vision of about 2 inches in depth just past the end of my nose. I carry both with me. I like my contacts because they allow me to wear sunglasses. Wearing sunglasses will protect your retinae from UV rays. A few years ago, I had the pleasure of meeting Ranger Chris on Assateague Island. He had serious eye issues from years of sun exposure. He really impressed upon me the importance of wearing sunglasses. I also need bifocals and wear bifocal contacts. These work so well for me, that I never have to worry about tilting my head to find the clearest vision, the way I do with my glasses. I like that I can look directly down at my feet and also way down the trail and not have to wait for my vision to adjust. It's like having young eyes again! But, I also carry my glasses as backup.

Contacts on the trail mean you must take extra time to be clean, clean, clean when you put them in and take them out. I wear hard lenses, so I can only speak to the routine for those. I use only treated water, of course, and wash my hands thoroughly when I handle the lenses. I try to handle my lenses in confined spaces only... my tent, if possible. It's no fun looking for lenses on the ground!

I find that carrying my contacts on the trail is a bit of work, but for me, my vision is MUCH better corrected with the contacts AND I get to wear my sunglasses. It's a good trade-off for me.

Hikes in Rain
04-13-2010, 15:10
I wear my contacts full time anyway; why should hiking be different? Besides, I can't see with my glasses; my prescription is strong enough that even the thin lenses distort around the edges. I need bifocals, which makes it hard to do things like climb rocks. (I mave multi-focal contacts, which eliminates the need for reading glasses while still giving me distance vision.) Glasses are backups only, after I lose both the pair I wear and the spare pair. Or to find the privy if I get up in the middle of the night.

There are a number of threads where I and others wax litorial on the care of feeding in the woods. Yeah, it's a bit more effort, but having real eyes is worth it.

Ender
04-13-2010, 15:23
On both my long hikes I ended up carrying only contacts. On the AT I sent my glasses home. On the PCT, I left them behind at a hotel (they mailed them to my parents house, for which I was thankful).

I didn't end up missing them on either trip.

Still, for the weight (almost none), if you want to carry a backup pair it will cost you hardly anything.

leaftye
04-13-2010, 15:59
No way in hell my trail hands are getting in my eyes. Glasses for me.

Kerosene
04-13-2010, 16:09
I've always relied on glasses, as I've found it very uncomfortable to wear any type of soft contact for more than a few hours. One option is that you could bring both, and perhaps just rely on your contacts for backup in case your glasses break or get misplaced.

MelNino
04-13-2010, 16:14
I had a bad reaction to contact solution once (or I grabbed the wrong bottle) and scarred my eyes pretty bad....I couldn't see at all for a few days.

All healed now, I wear glasses and probably won't go back to contacts.....though glasses are a pain in precipt. I'd say I'd be worried about losing a contact out on the trail, but knowing me, I can lose my glasses just as easily.

mmais68569
04-13-2010, 16:50
Glasses I wear contact to read but not on the trail just glasses.

Mike

Jonnycat
04-13-2010, 17:06
I'd say I'd be worried about losing a contact out on the trail, but knowing me, I can lose my glasses just as easily.

How about disposable or really cheap contacts? You could just get a few packages of them to bring along, to change them more often or just to have some in case one fell out.

centsless
04-13-2010, 17:27
i'm in the same position, contemplating which ones i should use. Right now i'm on the two week Acuvue Oasis, but i've seen the Focus Monthlies. I'm going to give that a shot, as many have said, its very difficult to have pristine conditions to work around with your contacts.

With the monthly's, or even the two week disposables, you can worry about changing them at a motel or hostel, even a trail town given the length of use.

Might have to either Drop Box the contact solutions or Bounce Box several small solution bottles as you progress through your hike. This is something i want to hear from current contacts users too.

Hikes in Rain
04-13-2010, 17:47
I have to disagree wholeheartedly that it's "very difficult" to maintain the level of cleanliness to handle contacts. I've been hiking with contacts for well over 40 years with no eye infections or injuries whatsoever. Yes, it takes a bit of attention to detail, but it's just not that hard.

I've posted detailed descriptions in other threads on how to go about it. I'd be happy to go into detail, if anyone would like.

Like so many things, though, it really boils down to personal choice. My vision is bad enough that my glasses are make-shift at best. Insert contact lenses, and I can see like I should have been able to in my teens but never could. I've always said, and meant it, in case of fire, I'm out the window with my pants and contacts. If hard pressed, I'd leave the pants. :D

K2
04-13-2010, 17:52
I have worn contacts before; I can't wear them not due to some eye issues, unrelated to their use.

Having said that, I think the conditions on the trail increase your risk of acquiring an eye infection. You really need to concentrate on basic hygiene, but I imagine you already adopt extra precautions at home to prevent infection.

My thinking is; take Both. You can enjoy the extra visual acuity contacts afford, and if for some reason they feel uncomfortable, you could switch to glasses for a bit. This will also afford a back-up should you need it. K2

PR Man
04-13-2010, 18:22
I wear my contacts during the day and take them out at night.

Its really important to make sure your hands are clean - but I can not stand hiking in glasses in the rain.

I too like to wear sunglasses for the eye protection.

Good luck!

Barbarosa
04-13-2010, 18:41
The biggest upgrade to my hiking gear was to get lasik, can't beat it.

MelNino
04-13-2010, 20:19
How about disposable or really cheap contacts? You could just get a few packages of them to bring along, to change them more often or just to have some in case one fell out.

I had though of that, but decided to just stick to glasses....I have spares of those I can cary with me :) (actually....I should start doing that....)

bflorac
04-13-2010, 23:40
I take glasses. Also take croakies or some means to keep them on your face when you are sweaty and looking over a cliff. I also take 5 days worth of disposable contacts (which is what I usually wear). I figure if I loose my glasses, I can get by on contacts for 3 days till I can get to a town and get new glasses.

Also if you wake up at night and want to see what is making the big noise outside your tent (or need to take a pee), it is easier to put your glasses on.

-Ghost-
04-14-2010, 02:12
I have to disagree wholeheartedly that it's "very difficult" to maintain the level of cleanliness to handle contacts. I've been hiking with contacts for well over 40 years with no eye infections or injuries whatsoever. Yes, it takes a bit of attention to detail, but it's just not that hard.

I've posted detailed descriptions in other threads on how to go about it. I'd be happy to go into detail, if anyone would like.

Like so many things, though, it really boils down to personal choice. My vision is bad enough that my glasses are make-shift at best. Insert contact lenses, and I can see like I should have been able to in my teens but never could. I've always said, and meant it, in case of fire, I'm out the window with my pants and contacts. If hard pressed, I'd leave the pants. :D

If you could post a link that would be good actually. I always use contacts when hiking but generally get worried on longer trips. I'd be interested how to keep everything clean and infection free for the length of the trail.

Darwin again
04-14-2010, 09:07
I petty much only hike in contacts, over 1,700 trail miles now.
Long or short sections, days to weeks, they work well for me.

I carry antibacterial wet ones to wipe my fingers clean. I then flush my fingertips with contact solution before handling my contacts, just like at home. I take them out and put them in their case, just like at home, except I'm in my tent. Reverse process in the morning.

I carry a spare pair of contacts, just in case, and my glasses ride in my ditty bag for use after hiking and before sleeping. It's easier to put on a pair of glasses in the middle of the night for whatever reason may arise.

I've never had a problem with using contacts on the trail. I just carry a 4 oz bottle of regular solution, regular contact case, and a spare pair of contacts. I can hike in glasses if necessary but chose not to do it for better peripheral vision and clear vision that can't get knocked off by a limb or a fall or impaired by weather, etc. A few times, I've wiped sweat a little too aggressively and had to reset a contact, which was a pain, but well worth it.

wrongway_08
04-14-2010, 09:20
I gave up on both a long while back and got Lasik. Best thing ever and it will save money over the long run, not to mention the lack of loosing glasses and messing with all that cleaning crap for contacts.

If thats not an option for you, I would go with the week or month long wear contacts. Just buy them in advance and bounce them along the way. Always keep a spare set with you - just in case.

Hikes in Rain
04-14-2010, 10:40
If you could post a link that would be good actually. I always use contacts when hiking but generally get worried on longer trips. I'd be interested how to keep everything clean and infection free for the length of the trail.

I ran into some computer issues last night, which remain unresolved. :mad:

So, rather than a link, I'll just do it again.

Get a little washbasin. I cut the end off a gallon milk jug, two or three inches deep. (Didn't measure, just eyeballed it to a depth that looked good for washing hands.) It's free after you use the milk, weightless, and since you can fill it with stuff, doesn't take up any room in your pack. I like the idea of using food grade plastic, but I suspect other jugs would work, too.

Wash your hands really well using the soaps you're used to. I've used Ivory forever, because it doesn't leave a residue on my hands. You probably already know what to use there. If I get my water out of a piped spring, I usually don't treat it before washing; if out of a creek, I usually do. Just use your best judgement there. For washing purposes, I'm not sure it really needs to be treated to drinking water standards, but I err on the side of caution.

Since this gets the water in the basin a little soapy, I rinse my hands again from my water bottle to make sure the last of the soap is off. (The water left in the basin is great for washing up the rest of you after handling your lenses.)

I do this either in my tent or tarp, or on the sleeping bench of a shelter if I'm staying in one. The idea is wind protection, so a lens doesn't get blown away. Good idea to spread a towel down to catch solution drips or a dropped lens. I generally sit cross-legged with the towel in my lap.

Make sure you have enough light. You can do it by flashlight or headlamp, but it's awkward and increases the chance a lost lens or other problem. I usually do it when the sun starts heading down. I'm generally in the sack shortly after that, anyway.

In the morning, just reverse the routine. It sounds involved and time consuming, but it really isn't, beyond fetching the wash water. It's a lot like doing it at home, just without running water.

I know it's been mentioned before, but bring back-up lenses and your glasses! Multiple reduncancy with your vision is worth the weight!

twosticks
04-14-2010, 11:08
I've had the problem of the contacts falling out when I sweat heavily, such as running a marathon. Would that mean using a different lens or am I damned to wearing glasses?

Hikes in Rain
04-14-2010, 11:23
Maybe a headband? Only half joking, they do sop up some of the sweat. I've had the issue of sweat running into my eyes as well, and it's a royal pain. If it doesn't wash the lens out, as you'd mention, at the least it stings and contaminates the contact with body oils. Frankly, I don't know of a removable lens that this wouldn't be a problem.

Source control is the best suggestion I can offer. Hat, sweat band, mop rag, something like that. That might work for hiking, but what a pain for running a marathon.

Maybe folks like us should choose our genetics a little better!

twosticks
04-14-2010, 13:19
Maybe folks like us should choose our genetics a little better!

Indeed. I wear the hat while running, doesn't help. The brim gets soaked and then drips onto my fingers while trying to put the contact back in. Funny how that works.

rusty075
04-14-2010, 13:38
I wore Acuvue Oasys two-week disposables on my thru without issue. Overnight town stops were often enough that I could swap them out while in town. I think I only had to change contacts once or twice while actually in the woods, usually due to getting dust blown into my eyes. Cleaning my hands and face off in the nearest stream was hygiene enough for that. I carried a couple of extra pair in my first aid kit, along with a little mirror and a small bottle of solution, and then maildropped new contacts at a few points along the way.

prain4u
04-15-2010, 02:16
1. I have seen various Soldiers encounter eye infections or scratched corneas while wearing contacts in the field. Maybe they were not as careful as they should be. I am a former contact lens wearer. It would seem to me that one would have to practice extremely good hygiene in order to avoid infections or cornea scratches.

2. I wear eyeglasses. They are a pain in the butt in a rainstorm or when I perspire profusely. Water spots on them.

3. I have known a few people who have had complications with Lasik surgery (fuzzy vision and/or halos),

Bottom line: Any method of correcting your vision has both blessings and curses when you go hiking.

Hikes in Rain
04-15-2010, 08:31
Can you sue your parents for your genetics? Just asking.....

K2
04-20-2010, 22:42
Can you sue your parents for your genetics? Just asking.....
To my knowledge, there's never been a test case, so who knows?:rolleyes: K2

Tinker
04-20-2010, 23:05
Having worn both (and having some problems with discomfort due to contacts) I would definitely use glasses.
Besides, contacts don't keep things from poking you in the eye.

klpicktown
04-21-2010, 06:55
A few months ago I switched to daily contacts (new pair everyday) and they are amazing....dont have to worry about a contact case or solution and the packaging each contact comes in is pretty small. Cost is alittle over a dollar a day. They have been awesome for camping