PDA

View Full Version : Best Place to Get Used Maps?

esmusssein
04-13-2010, 15:41
Hi,

I have spent a lot of time looking for this. Ok, so each year thousands of people set off from Springer thinking that they are going to walk all the way to Maine. Let's say half of these people buy maps for the trail. Then 75% of these people drop out. Many of whom still have maps for the entire trail. Is it taboo to sell your used maps or something? I would think that used maps would be quite cheap considering how many are purchased. Is there a website where people sell their maps? I want to support the ATC, but I also am working with a strict budget. So where is the best place to buy used maps? I'm keeping my eye on Amazon and Ebay but have so far been disappointed.

I don't really want to have the debate over whether to carry maps in the first place. I enjoy looking at them, and I don't want to have to rely on someone else.

Thanks.

emerald
04-13-2010, 16:23
You came to the right place, but should have posted to another forum and titled it differently to indicate you're seeking a current, complete, used A.T. map set.

Maybe someone would help you out with a new title and transfer your post to another forum. It would also be possible to start a thread such as I suggested and link it to this thread.

Then again, this thread may stir up an offer of maps, but I'd think you are more apt to find a used map set in September or October.

emerald
04-13-2010, 16:41
I just PMed you a lead.

Graywolf
04-14-2010, 12:02
A shot and a small one at that..Do you have any used book stores around you?? Just recently I found 5 sets at my local used store..All the northern sections..They were even still in their box..With maps and guides..Bought each one at 5.00 a piece..Thats a score..Anyway, try it out, might get lucky..

Then as the other poster said, you may find completes here..

Graywolf

Hikes in Rain
04-14-2010, 12:37
And, of course, there's always eBay.

mega82
04-14-2010, 14:29
I have a set you can have, give me your e-mail.

GatorScout
12-05-2010, 02:31
I am very interested in finding used maps as well, did anyone ever find out a good place, aside from local bookstore?

Cabin Fever
12-05-2010, 08:07
I have a practically new Vermont/New Hampshire set that I was selling on the Used Gear forum. PM me if you are interested.

C Seeker
12-05-2010, 10:09
I have also been wondering the same thing about all the maps, that people will never be using again. As I will be looking for some Especally in the Smokies, as I like to add some blue blazing to see some extra stuff(waterfalls, canyons,)

Cabin Fever
12-05-2010, 14:52
I have also been wondering the same thing about all the maps, that people will never be using again. As I will be looking for some Especally in the Smokies, as I like to add some blue blazing to see some extra stuff(waterfalls, canyons,)

There's only one/two Smokies map - the Trails Illustrated one(s). I sorta use plural because I think they have come out with a more detailed set of two maps instead of the one map. You can find these everywhere. I see them at Oufitters and used bookstores all the time.