Peppers Sunglasses case 1
Nikon Coolpix w/ case 5
ipod w/ headphones 2
Firestarters (Esbit) 1

Items worn and carried 201.9
12.61 lbs
Items carried 145.4
9.08 lbs

This is my final list for my 2011 AT thru hike. For the summer ill most likely drop the down jacket, silk liner, rain pants, and rain jacket and buy an u.l. umbrella for the shade/rain. Tear it apart PLEASE!!! Any advice on rain gear would be helpful. Ill be starting in on March 1st at springer and hopefully finishing by mid august. I am normally a pretty fast packer, but for this trip ive decided to take it a bit slower and take it in for all that its worth.

turtle fast
04-13-2010, 19:18
I only see 3 things.
1. You don't need a wallet. Use a ziplock baggie, its lighter and waterproof.
2. For your cooking fuel bottle use a 20 oz clear soda bottle...just mark it well to denote that it is not soda or water but poison! (Important to do...a permanent marker will do)
3. The esbit is not needed...you rarely have fires on the trail and your lighter can light anything.

Graywolf
04-13-2010, 22:02
I only see 3 things.
1. You don't need a wallet. Use a ziplock baggie, its lighter and waterproof.
2. For your cooking fuel bottle use a 20 oz clear soda bottle...just mark it well to denote that it is not soda or water but poison! (Important to do...a permanent marker will do)
3. The esbit is not needed...you rarely have fires on the trail and your lighter can light anything.

I disagree, always use a wallet.. If you pull your money out of a ziplock bag, someone, maybe a thru-hiker or White Blazer, will think you are a strange pshycopath and call the authorities on you and start a thread about a strange hiker hanging around town giving people bad vibes..

Graywolf

bigcranky
04-13-2010, 22:12
Great list, now go hike. You've got a year to get out and do long weekends, overnights, day hikes, whatever. Not only will it help you revise your list, but hiking happens to be a lot of fun!

STICK
04-13-2010, 23:25
Very nice list. I don't see anything for purifying your water though. What will you use for that?

flemdawg1
04-13-2010, 23:52
Final?? a year in advance??

butts0989
04-14-2010, 01:38
Final?? a year in advance??

ya this is the final, and yes a year in advance. Ive taken this gear list on 2 week long trips, one that was blessed with 3 days of straight rain. Im a pretty avid backpacker as well as a backpacking guide so this gear list is a result of about 4 years of using different sets of gear, im just looking for some advice from previous thruhikers.

butts0989
04-14-2010, 01:39
oh and for water i forgot to put down aqua mira.

RGB
04-14-2010, 03:52
I disagree, always use a wallet.. If you pull your money out of a ziplock bag, someone, maybe a thru-hiker or White Blazer, will think you are a strange pshycopath and call the authorities on you and start a thread about a strange hiker hanging around town giving people bad vibes..

Graywolf

At 41, how mature of you to try to resurrect an already closed thread just because you disagreed with the OP.

I think your list looks great, I wish I could get that light.

Graywolf
04-14-2010, 11:57
At 41, how mature of you to try to resurrect an already closed thread just because you disagreed with the OP.

I think your list looks great, I wish I could get that light.

I did not disagree with the OP..His list is just fine to me..Im as mature as others here on white blaze..FYI..

And as I said, your list is fine..The aqua mira is a good choice..I still havnt broken down for the pumps..

Graywolf

butts0989
04-14-2010, 17:31
ha no hard feelings, pumps are just to heavy and take up too much room, plus most the most water on the AT comes straight from springs. most the time i hike on it i dont carry a filter or aqua mira anyways. But this time ill carry it because i dont want to ruin my thru hike.