PDA

View Full Version : Advice: Next section... 68th birthday

BobbyNoel
04-13-2010, 20:12
So, to all the White Blaze buddies, I need a suggestion for the next 100 mile section. Just turned 68, good shape (sort to speak), have been through the Smokies to Hot Springs, thru Shenandoah, across the Whites (not the Wilderness... that will be last). Between Springer and the Whites, if you had a 100 miles and that's all... what would you do?

Friendly

gumball
04-13-2010, 20:20
I would love to re-do the walk from North to South into Damascus--my favorite so far.

I also enjoyed the 100 miles going South to North into Damascus, but if I had a choice, I'd pick the first one.

SawnieRobertson
04-13-2010, 20:22
Kincora on Dennis Cove Road to Troutdale, Virginia.--Kinnickinic

Bilko
04-13-2010, 20:35
Bobby start your hike at Harriman State Park NY, you will see the trail at it's best, also the original AT started here. You will see Fingerboard Shelter, Bear Mountain, (stay at Bear Mountain Bridge Motel), Bear Mountain Zoo & Museum, Hudson River, (West Point, a side trip) Graymoor Spiritual Life Center, through Clarence Fahnestock State Park, and into Pawling NY. Train track to NYC is here. You could hike a couple of more miles to Connecticut total 100 miles. I would suggest this section hike for anyone that wants to experience hiking the AT. After you hike it let me know. By the way, I'm from Georgia so I'm not playing favoritism.

steve43
04-14-2010, 08:41
I would love to re-do the walk from North to South into Damascus--my favorite so far.

I also enjoyed the 100 miles going South to North into Damascus, but if I had a choice, I'd pick the first one.

two of my favorite sections in the same order.....fifo

tedjohn09
04-17-2010, 04:19
I will take a journey with my friends.

Kerosene
04-17-2010, 10:49
Another vote for the 100+ miles around Damascus, with one endpoint at Carvers Gap and the other at VA-603 (Fox Creek trailhead). That's about 130 miles, but you pick up the balds of Roan, Overmountain Shelter, Kincora Hostel, Laurel Fork Falls, Watauga Lake, Damascus, and Grayson Highlands.

Cookerhiker
04-17-2010, 11:14
This time of year, there are lots of nice stretches. 2 I'd recommend:

1. Overlapping some with Kerosene's post, start at Hot Springs and hike north to Rt. 19E/Elk Park. Total of 115 miles. You may miss Grayson Highlands, Damascus, Mt. Rogers, Kincora, Laurel Falls but you gain Big Bald, Little Bald, Erwin and the Nolichucky River, Beauty Spot, Unaka Mountain and Roan Mountain.

2. Pearisburg north to the first road crossing of the Blue Ridge Parkway for a total of 106 miles. After the initial climb up Peters Mountain, you have nice ridgewalking for a day and then a series of ridges and valleys but they're not all PUDs; typically, you ascend a ridge but walk along it for a few miles before descending. On this hike, you'll pass through some open fields, the Keffer Oak, Dragons Tooth, McAfee Knob, Tinker Cliffs. By ending at the first BRP crossing, you're in good stead for your next 100 mile section hike: north 120 miles to Rockfish Gap, the southern end of Shendandoah NP.

LIhikers
04-17-2010, 17:03
I haven't seen the whole AT yet, but of what I have seen Vermont has been my favorite. So I'll suggest 100 miles in Vermont.

BobbyNoel
04-18-2010, 13:45
Thank you, this was great.
Rob

Cookerhiker
04-18-2010, 15:17
Thank you, this was great.
Rob

Let us know what you decide.