PDA

View Full Version : Rocks in NJ (I can hardly wait for PA)

Tinker
04-13-2010, 21:49
I'm almost done with the great state of New Jersey. Last Mon. and Tue. Sasquatch and I hiked from the DWG to Culver gap. I wore my typical Asics trail runners and carried around 23 lbs. incl. water. I'm now nursing a bruise on the ball of my left foot. Of course, being a section hiker, I haven't toughened my feet too much so far this year having only put in around 60 miles of hiking before the NJ section.
So, for all you 200 lb. plus trail runner wearin' fast hikers - beware the rocks of southern NJ. (Strangely, I saw neither bears nor snakes, which southern 'Jersey is famous for, though I heard something big in the bushes near the Brink Rd. shelter).
Hike on!

Darwin again
04-14-2010, 09:27
Ha!
I wore a pair of Asics runners NOBO out of Harpers Ferry and did something like 106 miles in six days up past Boiling Springs. At Duncannon, I switched back to my heavier Dunham Nimbles for the rock 'n roll and had no problems going slow in the rocks. It was, however, a pleasure to wave buh-bye to Pennsylvania while crossing the bridge over the Delaware into Jersey. They've got some nice rugged trail in Jersey...

Cookerhiker
04-14-2010, 11:33
.....the NJ section.
So, for all you 200 lb. plus trail runner wearin' fast hikers - beware the rocks of southern NJ. (Strangely, I saw neither bears nor snakes, which southern 'Jersey is famous for, ....

Not to nitpick, but...

Southern 'Jersey is known for flat landscapes, good canoeing/kayaking, outstanding birdwatching on Cape May, and being a suburb of Philadelphia. Also the Pine Barrens, cranberry production, and tomatoes.

Granted the state is small but directionwise, the AT passes nowhere near "southern" 'Jersey. After all, Springer isn't in "Southern" Georgia even though it's certainly south of Dick's Creek Gap.

scope
04-14-2010, 11:56
Good point, although I'm pretty sure they meant the southern section of the AT, which I think is more accurately the western section. Whatever, the section that borders PA.

Manwich
04-14-2010, 12:15
Not to nitpick, but...

"...but I'm going to nitpick anyway."

I did 100mi or so of PA Rocks in October > December and I hear ya on the section hiker feet not being tough. Superglue on the bottom of my feet did wonders for blisters but nothing 'sides superfeet will sooth the rockpain

kayak karl
04-14-2010, 12:18
rocks of southern NJ. (Strangely, I saw neither bears nor snakes, which southern 'Jersey is famous for, though I heard something big in the bushes near the Brink Rd. shelter).
Hike on!
YOU NEVER SAW SOUTHERN JERSEY, get a map LMAO

kayak karl
04-14-2010, 12:30
YOU NEVER SAW SOUTHERN JERSEY, get a map LMAO
i just noticed this was already brought to your attention. we do have Applepie Hill 209' LOL

emerald
04-14-2010, 12:32
I'm going to nitpick anyway.

To my way of thinking, Bill siezed an opportunity to provide information some may not have known and did so in a respectful manner.

Cookerhiker
04-14-2010, 13:10
i just noticed this was already brought to your attention. we do have Applepie Hill 209' LOL

Karl, you were the first WBer I thought of when I did my post. Thanks for weighing in.;) Sorry I didn't know about Applepie Hill!

sasquatch2014
04-14-2010, 17:17
To my way of thinking, Bill siezed an opportunity to provide information some may not have known and did so in a respectful manner.

And why should I expect less than this type of responce from you? I do believe that this is a website about the AT so all things should be taken with this into account. In this case southern NJ would be the southern portion of the AT in the state of NJ.

emerald
04-14-2010, 17:51
To the rest of the world, the term means something different. If you refered to South Jersey while on the portion of the A.T. mentioned, the natives would look at you like you are from away:rolleyes: and correct you.:D

Why don't you put me on ignore too. What I post won't bother you, and when I reply to your posts, you won't respond either.

Yahtzee
04-14-2010, 18:33
Context context context. Everyone knew what the poster meant by "southern nj". Some just took it as an opportunity to show how much they know. Yay for them!

As for those rocks in NJ, they suck. At least in PA you can see 'em. In NJ, they are camoflauged by grass. Much tougher on the ankles, imo.

kayak karl
04-14-2010, 19:07
Karl, you were the first WBer I thought of when I did my post. Thanks for weighing in.;) Sorry I didn't know about Applepie Hill!
you know your from SJ when You packed up the family on a Sunday and went to Cowtown Rodeo.

we have to stand up for South Jersey, even Trenton doesn't recognize us. LOL

Toolshed
04-14-2010, 21:02
And why should I expect less than this type of responce from you? I do believe that this is a website about the AT so all things should be taken with this into account. In this case southern NJ would be the southern portion of the AT in the state of NJ.

Not to someone from Jersey who would wonder HTF you got into Southern Jersey while on the trail. As soon as I read Southern Jersey, I thought - "What are you talkin' about?? There ain't a rock in the Pine Barrens" then it dawned on me that you meant Southern half of the trail in Northern NJ.
Big difference for those that live here .:D

Foyt20
04-14-2010, 22:16
NJ Rocks!!!!

Appalachian Tater
04-14-2010, 22:36
(Strangely, I saw neither bears nor snakes, which southern 'Jersey is famous for, though I heard something big in the bushes near the Brink Rd. shelter).
Hike on!

Well, watch out for rattlesnakes on those rocky stretches in PA if it is rattlesnake season. After a while, I lost count of them. Look where you're stepping!

Lellers
04-14-2010, 23:51
you know your from SJ when You packed up the family on a Sunday and went to Cowtown Rodeo.

we have to stand up for South Jersey, even Trenton doesn't recognize us. LOL

This one just made me laugh! I grew up in Paulsboro. The worst possible thing you could say to another kid when I was growing up was, "Your mother buys your underwear at Cowtown!"

Now I'm wishing for some Richman's ice cream! I'd even take an ice cream sandwich wrapped in silver with the little red cow on it... bought at Heritage's, of course!

Tilly
04-15-2010, 09:53
Not to nitpick, but...

Southern 'Jersey is known for flat landscapes, good canoeing/kayaking, outstanding birdwatching on Cape May, and being a suburb of Philadelphia. Also the Pine Barrens, cranberry production, and tomatoes.

Granted the state is small but directionwise, the AT passes nowhere near "southern" 'Jersey. After all, Springer isn't in "Southern" Georgia even though it's certainly south of Dick's Creek Gap.

Thanks Cookerhiker! I read the post and I thought...South Jersey? A flat sandy plain of Pinelands covered in pitch pine? Cranberry bogs and streams...totally different ecosystem and environment.

Any Jersey people who have not read "The Pine Barrens" by John McPhee should pick it up! Great book!

le loupe
04-15-2010, 09:58
(Strangely, I saw neither bears nor snakes, which southern 'Jersey is famous for, though I heard something big in the bushes near the Brink Rd. shelter).
Hike on!

As a resident of Southern NJ- I can equivocally state we dont have any bears.

I did however see some on Bird Mountain on my hike thru Stokes SF...

kayak karl
04-15-2010, 10:16
some Richman's ice cream!
:( they closed down:( but we still got Hudock's in Salem:p

STEVEM
04-15-2010, 10:25
This one just made me laugh! I grew up in Paulsboro. The worst possible thing you could say to another kid when I was growing up was, "Your mother buys your underwear at Cowtown!"

Now I'm wishing for some Richman's ice cream! I'd even take an ice cream sandwich wrapped in silver with the little red cow on it... bought at Heritage's, of course!

I seem to recall that all you "Clam-Diggers" hated to be called "Grovers"

Lellers
04-15-2010, 15:15
I seem to recall that all you "Clam-Diggers" hated to be called "Grovers"

You got me. I have no idea what that means. Is that shore related? I grew up on the Delaware. Only thing I didn't want to be called at the shore was "shoobie"

Lellers
04-15-2010, 15:19
:( they closed down:( but we still got Hudock's in Salem:p

Nooooo! Richman's closed! There goes my childhood!

Oh, well. I'm stuck over in PA now. I don't much get back to S. Jersey, except for an occasional Pine Barrens trip. I have to get down to Bel Haven to see if they can fit my new car with kayak cradles. I hope Bel Haven is still in business!

Lellers
04-15-2010, 15:27
As a resident of Southern NJ- I can equivocally state we dont have any bears.

I did however see some on Bird Mountain on my hike thru Stokes SF...

About 3 years ago, I did a Batsto River trip. I was dropped at Hampton Furnace by the good folks from BelHaven Paddlesports. When the driver picked us up the next day at Batsto Village, he told us he saw a bear just after he left us. I thought he was pulling my leg, so I just smiled and said, yeah, yeah. Honestly, I would have believed him had he told me he saw the Jersey Devil, but I wasn't buying a bear sighting. When I got home, there was a report on the news about a bear in the Pine Barrens, and I think he was eventually caught and relocated. Must've been a young male that had traveled down from the north.

Doesn't matter though. The raccoons down there are about the size of bears!

kayak karl
04-15-2010, 15:28
"shoobie"
LOL lunch in a shoe box:) i remember that. And Belhaven is bigger then ever. just got a dry suit there. tell me when u come down. get u a beer at the Pic-a-Llilly:)

Foyt20
04-15-2010, 16:00
Bennies go home!!!

Tinker
04-18-2010, 23:33
OK folks! I meant the southern AT in NJ. I didn't think I needed to clarify that. Unfortunately I didn't realize that there was a feud in NJ between the north and the south. :D

boarstone
04-19-2010, 06:54
Not to someone from Jersey who would wonder HTF you got into Southern Jersey while on the trail. As soon as I read Southern Jersey, I thought - "What are you talkin' about?? There ain't a rock in the Pine Barrens" then it dawned on me that you meant Southern half of the trail in Northern NJ.
Big difference for those that live here .:D

For a few responses there I thought the AT had been moved!....:D

Cookerhiker
04-19-2010, 07:55
OK folks! I meant the southern AT in NJ. I didn't think I needed to clarify that. Unfortunately I didn't realize that there was a feud in NJ between the north and the south. :D

Oh we knew what you meant - we were just giving you a hard time.;)

Re alleged "feuding" between north and south Jersey: not on the placement of the AT. No matter where you live in NJ, everyone agrees the AT is in north Jersey. Maybe that's the only thing Jerseyites agree on.

Manwich
04-19-2010, 09:03
Some of it is in central jersey.

THE PLOT THICKENS!

Blue Jay
04-19-2010, 14:01
Re alleged "feuding" between north and south Jersey: not on the placement of the AT. No matter where you live in NJ, everyone agrees the AT is in north Jersey. Maybe that's the only thing Jerseyites agree on.

What about Snookie?

Tilly
04-19-2010, 14:52
What about Snookie?

Is Snookie the one who is actually FROM Jersey? I think the rest are New Yorkers.

Cookerhiker
04-19-2010, 14:55
Is Snookie the one who is actually FROM Jersey? I think the rest are New Yorkers.

And then there's the Jersey diaspora. I grew up in northeastern NJ (Bergen County) but left nearly 40 years ago.

Tilly
04-19-2010, 14:58
And then there's the Jersey diaspora. I grew up in northeastern NJ (Bergen County) but left nearly 40 years ago.

We are certainly everywhere:)

Toolshed
04-19-2010, 19:48

THE PLOT THICKENS!
Ummm.... 78 is CNJ. 80 is Definitely NNJ. AT goes nowhere near 78 in NJ..... ;)

swift
04-19-2010, 19:58
rocks in PA? where??

kayak karl
04-19-2010, 20:18

THE PLOT THICKENS!
your either north or south, GET OFF THE FENCE:D

Arden
04-19-2010, 23:51
You think NJ has rocks? You haven't been to NH yet!!
The Whites are nothing but rocks. Mount Washington (the AT doesn't actually cross the summit) is one huge rock scree. You'll think you're in the Himalayan moraine!

Of all the sections of the AT I have hiked, NJ is one of the tamest for rocks.
Can't say that about bears though:D

I've hiked in PA, NJ, NY, VT, and NH so far. Oh, maybe I could count the few thousand feet of trail I hiked in VA a while back, but I was doing a car trip, not a hike.

Can someone who has been thru-hiking tell me what section is the least rocky?

Oh yea; I was going to make a comment about the southern section of AT in NJ being referred to as Southern NJ, but I see that you all have taken care of that.

I live in northern NJ. Where Southern NJ really starts is in dispute.
When I think of southern NJ, I think the beach!
But Trenton and Camden are pretty much southern NJ, and certainly Princeton.

I think I can say where the border of northern and central NJ is. The Raritan river; Driscol bridge on the GSP.

Arden (not NJ at all)

Arden
04-20-2010, 00:01
Yes. New Jerseyans take their geography seriously:D
I've always considered the AT to be in Western NJ. But Waywayanda and High Point are NorthWestern.
The DWG is just Western, but it is definitely Northern, as it is north of I-80.
I think everyone has to agree on that. Anything north of I-80 is Northern NJ.

This is getting to be so much fun. I think it's time I hiked all of the trail in NJ.
Funny about that. I've lived in NJ all of my life, but have hiked fewer miles in this state than any other on the AT.
I guess it's sort of like no one goes to the local school, no matter how good it may be.:D

Arden (New York)

Toolshed
04-20-2010, 06:36
...I guess it's sort of like no one goes to the local school, no matter how good it may be.:D

Arden (New York)
But have you seen the taxes?!?!?!?!:eek::eek::eek:

Manwich
04-20-2010, 06:48

We did a funny GIS Study a couple years ago where we took all of the WaWa Locations and QuickCheck Locations and plotted them out. Their influences (at the time) clash almost uniformly between the northernmost part of monmouth to the southernmost part of monmouth county, so the borders are along the parallel that runs through those.

Cookerhiker
04-20-2010, 11:42
It's funny - I grew up in Ridgewood with my South Jersey experience limited to day trips to the Shore. Being provincial and not traveling much in those times, I thought anything south of Newark was "South Jersey"

So in college, I go on a date with a girl from the Philadelphia suburbs. OK - she was from South Jersey, we agreed. But she said her roomate was from North Jersey. "Where?" I asked. Her: "New Brunswick." Me: "Oh, that's South Jersey."

Thankfully I've evolved from those days.:rolleyes:

Cookerhiker
04-20-2010, 11:46
...Funny about that. I've lived in NJ all of my life, but have hiked fewer miles in this state than any other on the AT.
I guess it's sort of like no one goes to the local school, no matter how good it may be.:D

Arden (New York)

Yeah, all my youth hiking was in Harriman Park, NY where the AT was closer than any part of NJ. I didn't hike any of the AT in Jersey until '04, a mere 32 years after I moved from the state.

Tilly
04-20-2010, 11:55
It's funny - I grew up in Ridgewood with my South Jersey experience limited to day trips to the Shore. Being provincial and not traveling much in those times, I thought anything south of Newark was "South Jersey"

So in college, I go on a date with a girl from the Philadelphia suburbs. OK - she was from South Jersey, we agreed. But she said her roomate was from North Jersey. "Where?" I asked. Her: "New Brunswick." Me: "Oh, that's South Jersey."

Thankfully I've evolved from those days.:rolleyes:

New Brunswick!?! That's CENTRAL New Jersey!

I guess I still haven't evolved!

Cookerhiker
04-20-2010, 11:58
New Brunswick!?! That's CENTRAL New Jersey!

I guess I still haven't evolved!

I take it you don't subscribe to Karl's dictum.:D

Tilly
04-20-2010, 12:14
I take it you don't subscribe to Karl's dictum.:D

There's no fence. New Brunswick, Trenton...that parallel is ALL central New Jersey. Might as well have been on another planet from where I grew up (Northern NJ.)

Simba
04-20-2010, 20:48
Okay, my 2cents,

I grew up in NorthWest New Jersey, where the trail is; also known as Sussex County, NJ. I'd have to agree that south jersey starts at the Raritan river or close to the state capital of Trenton (a horrible city IMHO) I went to college at Thomas Edison State there and dated a woman who went to a college in Princeton. Easy access points in NJ from NYC are the most crowed, but north of Rockaway is all wooded. Now that I reside just seven miles over a wood bridge (goes over the Delaware River close to Milford) in PA and when the weather is nice all the "citiots" are driving around or at their weekend homes where I live. Bear are frequently seen around here and one should watch out for them from Vernon, NJ south to PA; a mother bear charged our fence when my one dog was barking at it; the bear had three cubs in a tree.

Rattlesnakes are an issue too, watch out for them bathing on the rock outcrops on the trail in NJ; one ate a hiker once. I also saw a bear talk a hiker into handing over his food bag. Some deer will walk right up to you here, and I hear they are willing to take food and give back lyme disease carrying ticks. Be careful the hawks don't swarm you on an open ridge top and pluck out your eye balls; haven't seen that yet. To top that off there were sightings of old "red eyes" in the area of the trail. Old "red eyes" is a Sussex County, NJ big foot; the south of jersey has the Jersey Devil roaming the Pine Barrens.

Growing up in this area, I can honestly say I was more on edge near the Palisades in NY than anywhere else on the trail south of there. Rocks in NJ? Nothing like PA. I live in PA and go out once a week, at night, to sharpen them.

Simba

Arden
04-23-2010, 00:22
Simba;
You're not talking about the US 206 bridge, are you?

Bears? Does New Jersey have a bear problem?
Where was it I read this quote:
"New Jersey doesn't have a bear problem; it has a people problem!"

Funny how the state is always debating whether or not to have a bear hunt.
I think there was one about 5 years ago, but since then I've been reading about a lot of controversy on the subject.

Maybe the bears will decide to have a man-hunting season :banana

Arden

Arden
04-26-2010, 01:01
Mount Washington (the AT doesn't actually cross the summit) is one huge rock scree.

Correction!
Where on Earth did I get the idea that the AT does not cross the summit of Mount Washington?
Of course it does!
I've been up there 3 times, and have even noted the white blazes.

True, I've never taken the AT to the summit from Pinkham, but I did take it from the south side when I came up via Boot Spur.

Got to be more careful here!

Arden

fw2008
05-01-2010, 17:08
Try Hump Mountain, NC. It's the cover photo of the AT Data Book 2010.
Looks like plush carpet of grass!
I think I would take my shoes off and walk it barefoot; only problem would be snakes - youch!

FW

Toolshed
05-01-2010, 17:38
Simba;
You're not talking about the US 206 bridge, are you?

Arden
I took it to mean Dingmans Ferry...

Lemni Skate
05-01-2010, 17:59
The people whining about Southern Jersey are getting on my nerves.

If you're in Virginia in Giles county you're in Southwest Virginia, but if you're on the AT you're possibly in Central Virginia. The AT guide book calls everything from Pearisburg to Shenandoah National Park Central Virginia. At least 1/3 and maybe more of that is what most Virginians call Southwest Virginia.

How do we keep it straight? We know we're using different terms when we're talking about the trail. Just like East and West of the trail are not always compass East and West.

If New Jersey people don't like the way people on the trail refer to parts of the trail, then maybe we can relocate it and skip the Garden State (really people are so concerned with accuracy in describing their state and they call themselves the Garden State) all together. They can pave it over and call it the "Not-Southern-Jersey-Urban-Sprawl-Road" or something.

General Fireball
05-01-2010, 18:40
Broadly speaking, if you draw a line between Philly and NYC, I would say what falls north of the line is Northern NJ, south is Southern NJ.

fw2008
05-02-2010, 10:41
Honestly, I don't care what you call any part of NJ. I am more interested in the AT in NJ than the state itself, so I go by the AT Data Book.
When you're on the trail, region is unimportant. You use the region names in the guide book for reference, and so that you can communicate with other hikers, as we do here.

In any case, I've been enjoying this thread.

FW

Toolshed
05-02-2010, 10:57
The people whining about Southern Jersey are getting on my nerves.....
....If New Jersey people don't like the way people on the trail refer to parts of the trail, then maybe we can relocate it and skip the Garden State (really people are so concerned with accuracy in describing their state and they call themselves the Garden State) all together. They can pave it over and call it the "Not-Southern-Jersey-Urban-Sprawl-Road" or something.
Have you ever been to Southern Jersey? or even Northwestern Jersey for that matter? You might be surprised at what you see...

Tilly
05-02-2010, 12:16
The people whining about Southern Jersey are getting on my nerves.

If you're in Virginia in Giles county you're in Southwest Virginia, but if you're on the AT you're possibly in Central Virginia. The AT guide book calls everything from Pearisburg to Shenandoah National Park Central Virginia. At least 1/3 and maybe more of that is what most Virginians call Southwest Virginia.

How do we keep it straight? We know we're using different terms when we're talking about the trail. Just like East and West of the trail are not always compass East and West.

If New Jersey people don't like the way people on the trail refer to parts of the trail, then maybe we can relocate it and skip the Garden State (really people are so concerned with accuracy in describing their state and they call themselves the Garden State) all together. They can pave it over and call it the "Not-Southern-Jersey-Urban-Sprawl-Road" or something.

Aww, lighten up. This is just a bunch of Jersey people joking around.

Besides, your last paragraph tells me that you know absolutely NOTHING about NJ anyway.