PDA

View Full Version : Marmot Hydrogen - late April thru hike start?

Praha4
04-14-2010, 14:20
question for WB:

should a 30 degree down bag be adequate for thru-hike start date of 3rd week April? e.g. Marmot Hydrogen? just to get thru April-May... switching to a summer bag in VA

my guess is a 30 degree bag should be okay with a down jacket inside on any nights dipping into the 20s... such as in the Smokies or elevations above 5000 ft thru NC/TN in late April early May

I see many hikers taking 15 and 20 degree bags, and I'm wondering if that is really necessary this late?

white_russian
04-14-2010, 16:09
You are on the right track. I wouldn't even worry about the down jacket this late in the game. The risk for running into nights in the 20s is very low and even then it will be the high twenties. You would be better off just sucking it up on off chance of a cold night.

bigcranky
04-14-2010, 16:15
30-F bag is fine, that's what I have for late-March on in the Southern Appalachians. I do take a light down jacket even through April -- hate being cold, and can't just suck it up.

The Unknown Hiker
04-16-2010, 15:56
Overall I'd agree the bag is okay IF you start around mid-April. Not earlier. There have been freezes and snow around Sueches/Neal's Gap in April before.

I'd go to a weather site and see what the AVERAGE low temps are on the dates you will be hiking through various areas. Whatever a town temp is, adjust downward according to the elevation you will be sleeping at. I don't remember the formula but it is several degrees colder for each thousand feet of elevation.

I wouldn't wear any jacket or other bulky item if it winds up compressing down in a bag - defeats the purpose of the bag.

Colter
04-16-2010, 18:22
I slept in a Marmot Hydrogen bag last night and slept toasty. There was ice on the inside of my Six Moon Oasis when I woke up, so it got pretty chilly.

Last fall I slept in that bag comfortably down to about 20 degrees with a down jacket and long underwear and balaclava and am confident I could have taken it quite a bit lower in temps. I sleep about average warmth-wise for a male.

wcgornto
04-16-2010, 18:29
You won't need to switch to a summer bag, but can if you want.

You will need to switch to a warmer bag than a Marmot Hydrogen as you get into September / October in Maine.