PDA

View Full Version : hiking after back surgery

tenlots
04-14-2010, 21:33
My section hike this year was canceled by a ruptured disc in my back. I was wondering if there is hiking after this type of surgery. Would love to hear from others on this ......

Appalachian Tater
04-14-2010, 22:20
I had a two-level anterior cervical discectomy and fusion with cadaver bone and plate and screws a year or so before my thru. Admittedly that's a little different from in the back. I had not 100% recovered and still have some muscular pain at times even now but if anything hiking is good for increased flexibility and doesn't cause problems.

The main predictor is how well you healed and are doing now. Also there would be the question of other discs that might rupture so I would sure want to get my pack weight down if I were you. One thing that helped me was using an inflatable pad to make sure I didn't bottom out because of problems with nerves being compressed.

dmax
04-14-2010, 22:57
Hopefully you don't smoke. I know, I'm a smoker and been through the discectomy and a fusion a year later. Smoking is the worst thing to do during the healing process....Good Luck!

Trailweaver
04-15-2010, 00:48
I had a ruptured disc (L5-S1) and the surgery for it in 1996. I was told I probably would not be able to do the things I love doing ever again. I had a long recovery, but I tried to do the recovery process exactly as I was told - all the PT, no lifting, etc. It did take a while, but I have recovered and I can do pretty much anything I want to do now. I do keep my pack weight down as much as I can, and I'm careful about lifting things, but I just couldn't give up the things I love to do.

My guess is that the surgery is better now than it was when I had mine done and that with a good recovery and a little time, you will be able to come back too. Good luck. Believe me - the surgery brings relief from that extreme pain, and it's worth it.

sasquatch2014
04-15-2010, 07:48
Have had two back surgeries l4-5 area. No fusion thank god. There are days that the back gets a bit tweaked but most of the time it is muscles for me as this is still a weak spot. I too try and get pack weight down but am not very good with that. I most of the time am around 40lbs with food and water. you just have to watch what you are doing especially when it comes to really slick stuff. You don't want a twisting fall. I tend to have the most discomfort on rocky steep descents it really seems to jar the back more. I also have a hard time sleeping on hard ground so I do the hammock thing and feel great.

tenlots
04-27-2010, 19:49
Thank you all for your advice. I have healed well. Can walk 12 miles without any numbness in my leg. Dr says I can't run for another month...rats....but am now going to try the pack with around 10 lbs. My pack wt usually is around 24 lbs. with water. I am a fanatic about weight...Hope to hike in the fall and next year. Thanks again Tenlots

Slosteppin
04-30-2010, 19:33
Interesting timing on the question and answers. Last week I found out I have a herniated diskand just below that a bulging disk (L4/L5/L3).

This morning I had an injection (combination of anesthetic and steroids) on each side of the spine in the herniated disk. I go back twice more for the same thing.
If that doesn't give long term relief and let me hike again the next step is surgury.

Slosteppin

Lyle
04-30-2010, 21:03
Back in '85 I had a ruptured L5S1 disk. I'm a paramedic, was lifting a patient when it happened. Barely made it to the hospital the pain was so bad, had to get help for my partner to help her unload.

From that day on, for the next 6 months, I was on a very conservative treatment that included pain killers, muscle relaxers, and, for the most part, bed rest. Could only get up for short periods of time without excruciating pain. Taking a bite of a sandwich caused shooting pain down my right leg and into my foot. After the six months, with little real improvement, the doctors recommended a Chymopapain injection.

http://www.medicinenet.com/chymopapain-injection/article.htm

It took another three months to have all the allergy testing and blood work completed before the injection into the spine was given. Within a few days of the injection, I was thrilled to be able to walk out to the mailbox and back without severe pain. Within one month I was back to work at restricted duties (dispatch). I stayed on restricted work for one additional year before I was cleared to go back onto the road. At that time, I was cleared for backpacking and any other activities. The only restrictions, that I still live by, are no jumping from higher than two feet, careful when lifting, and no skiing of any kind. This last was the toughest, since I did enjoy cross country skiing, but now I just snowshoe.

My back has been better than it had been for years prior to this injury, I seldom get any type of back pain, and when I do it is just muscular in nature and goes away in a week or so. (Knocking on wood as I type :D)

My understanding is that they do not use this treatment anymore because of the very serious risks involved, but It has done wonders for me!!!

Listen to your Doctor, new treatments have come a long way. I would still avoid surgery if possible, but even that has gotten tremendously better.

Take it easy and don't rush your recovery. I'm very glad I gave that two years to recovering, it has paid off with a very healthy back. I've been back working the road as a paramedic full time for over 20 years now. I lift 300# plus patients, carry them up and down stairs, with no difficulties.

All this to impress on you that YES, there are healthy backs and long-distance backpacking after ruptured disks.

tenlots
08-18-2011, 23:09
Just to update all the back injured hikers, I hiked 90 miles sept 2010 and 125 miles this past april! Thanks again.

Trailweaver
08-19-2011, 00:10
Great news! So glad for you. Hope you get in many more miles in the years to come.

4eyedbuzzard
08-19-2011, 09:23
Great news / update! I've had three separate disk injuries - L3-L4, L4-L5, L5-S1. All responded well to conservative treatment - LESI (lumbar epidural steroid injection, pain meds, almost immediate entrance into a PT program, etc. Will my back ever be as good as new? No. But I can hike (keep the weight under 25 lbs), play golf, swim, do most yard and construction work, etc. Just have to be proactive in minimizing situations where you could reinjure it. Hiking / walking are probably some of the best strengthening activities one can do to keep core fitness up and help the spine.