PDA

View Full Version : Orange blazes?

grrickar
10-17-2004, 16:25
Anyone have any idea what double orange blazes signifies? I saw some coming up Bluff Mtn, out of Hot Springs (we were hiking SOBO). I took some pictures, so I'll post them when I get a chance. The blazes were about 6 inches long, and were painted horizontally one on top of the other. Quite different from any other blazes. I wasn't sure if there was a significance or not.

We also saw some orange ribbons with numbers drew on them with a permanent marker. Some read 3 steps here, which others just had numbers. I figured those with markings like 3 steps here were for the trail maintainers to remember where they wanted to install steps on the trail, but I'm not sure what those with numbers on them were for.

Lone Wolf
10-17-2004, 16:27
I think the orange blazes are some sort of boundry markings.

Alligator
10-17-2004, 17:57
As LW says, the orange blazes could be boundaries. I've seen a deep red used for this purpose. The orange tags (flagging) could have been research markers. I have used orange flagging this way myself. But it sounds entirely plausible that they were for the trail maintainers, given the "3 steps" writing.

orangebug
10-17-2004, 21:13
I've been told that the orange/umber blazes mark bear hunting territory boundaries.

Bill...

MisterSweetie
10-17-2004, 22:40
As LW says, the orange blazes could be boundaries. I've seen a deep red used for this purpose. The orange tags (flagging) could have been research markers. I have used orange flagging this way myself. But it sounds entirely plausible that they were for the trail maintainers, given the "3 steps" writing.What sort of research, Alligator?

Alligator
10-18-2004, 09:16
Marking dead trees for later extraction of wood samples in order to assess both density and carbon content changes over time.