PDA

View Full Version : How Long for Georgia Section on AT

Point Man Chef
04-15-2010, 11:23
Okay. New here but been looking at WhiteBlaze for some time. I have learned much from the community and now I want to section hike Georgia to the first place I can "reasonably" park a car in NC. I already have leads on my shuttle (neighbor's nephew). My son and I hike together, have gear, and in good shape. We hike mostly NC trails and recently decided on the AT. Originally considered only NC/TN section...but... just in case we want to KEEP GOING thought we should start at the beginning and see what happens! I need a time frame for planning puposes. I have looked at all the resources here as well as other places but thought maybe someone might have some first hand experience that they could give concerning the time as well as other elements to consider. I welcome all input and look forward to being a part of this unique group. There, I posted. I'm now committed and will be held accountable!!!

Monkeyboy
04-15-2010, 12:31
avg. seven days

Blissful
04-15-2010, 12:34
Take it from me at middle age, to start out, no matter what great shape you think you are - you are not in physical shape to backpack unless you have been doing it all along (I know you did say you hike which is good. But hiking day after day takes it toll). Plan on no longer then 10-12 mile days and go from there. I am learning that the hard way on my section hikes (and I run) as I am currently off from my section hike with a sore knee, trying to do 14 mile days.

daddytwosticks
04-15-2010, 12:35
Park your car at Standing Indian campground (if opened). Hike down the Kimsey Creek Trail. Beautiful way to end a hike. :)

Hikes in Rain
04-15-2010, 12:35
Deep Gap, just before Standing Indian Mountain, is probably going to be your closest "reasonable" parking spot. It's very pretty, although a long way back on a dirt road.

sherrill
04-15-2010, 12:43
Park your car at Standing Indian campground (if opened). Hike down the Kimsey Creek Trail. Beautiful way to end a hike. :)

The Backcountry Information Center kiosk outside the campground is a good place to park if you go that far. I second the Kimsey Creek comment as well.

Ron Haven on this site is the man, send him a PM or call him.

Point Man Chef
04-15-2010, 12:55
This is really great info and is giving me some park options I had not thought of until now. And thanks Blissful for some "reality checking" in there. We usually try to be out two to three days but not a week or more.

tagg
04-15-2010, 13:02
i did this section in september, it was my first real hike. i'm in good shape, but i will say it was harder than i expected. i started on springer late in the morning on a saturday, and made it to deep gap a little after lunchtime the following friday. so for me, it was 5 full days of hiking and 2 half days. +1 on blissful's recommendation of 10-12 mile days. the road into deep gap (FS71) has a parking area at the trail and is a reasonable place to park.

bigcranky
04-15-2010, 13:05
By the end of the week, you'll feel very strong and fast on the trail. Then you go home, of course, so that the next time out you can start all over again. This is the Section Hiker's Lament.

Plan for a whole week, including both weekends. That gives you 9 full days for travel, shuttle, and hiking. If you get done early, great.

bigmac_in
04-15-2010, 15:19
A lot depends on your capabilities, but 7 days is a good estimate. If you plan for the 9 days, like BC suggests, you should be good. I would also recommend parking at the backcountry lot at Standing Indian Campground and hiking the down the Kimsey Creek Trail from Deep Gap at the end of your hike. It will add a few miles, but it is pretty much all downhill and a very pretty trail.

daddytwosticks
04-15-2010, 19:31
Maybe you can get permission to park IN the SI Campground behind the host's area (for a modest fee?). This would give you more peace of mind although I've never heard of any problems parking at the Backcountry Info Station just outside the campgrounds. Have a great hike. :)

STICK
04-15-2010, 21:25
Will you be starting at Springer or Amicalola?

Point Man Chef
04-15-2010, 21:52
Again I am getting good info as I expected from this group. Thanks! Stick, we will start at Amicalola which from what I understand will ADD some miles, right?

will1972
04-15-2010, 22:14
Yes, plan on a day from the park and watch the sunset from the top of Springer. Its only a 6-7 hour hike on average. But its an incredible view and there is camping areas and a shelter just 2/10ths of a mile from the summit. It's worth slowing down for. Plus if your trying to find your hiking legs the approach trail is a good test for the first day out and you don't want to over do it.

Troy
04-15-2010, 23:37
How far is FS71 from the Hwy 64 in N.C. and is it well marked ?

tagg
04-16-2010, 11:34
How far is FS71 from the Hwy 64 in N.C. and is it well marked ?

if i remember correctly, FS71 intersects with 64 just past the county line heading out of franklin. there was a sign marking 71, and it wasn't hard to find. you have to go about 6 or 7 miles down to the end of 71 to get to the actual trail. if you have a gps and input the intersection of hwy 64 and deep gap road, it will take you right to it (at least my garmin did).

Jaybird
04-16-2010, 11:39
P.M.C.

a thru hiker AVERAGES 12-miles a day...i wouldnt count on any more than that (in fact...less for your first few days)

parking...DEEP GAP is prob your best bet...
i'd probably park a car in Franklin & get a shuttle from Deep Gap

thats abt 7 days of hiking...GOOD LUCK!:D

Uncle Cranky
04-16-2010, 12:02
Did Approach trail in GA all the way to Wallace Gap in 2 section, on 2 different trips, with 2 different sons.
The mid take out point being Unicoi Gap. Took youngest son on first section from Amicalola Falls SP north to Unicoi in 4 days.
Took second son on second section from Wallace Gap south to Unicoi in three days.
4 of those days we were humpin' 20+ miles and I'm 56 (what can I say I'm just a beastin' trail god!!).
We stayed at the Hiawassee Inn both times and got shuttled to and from the trail for about $100. This included two nights in the Inn + continental breakfast to boot.
What a price--and Ron's a great host too!
By the way, if your coming off the trail on a Sunday and want a beer make arrangements ahead of time 'cause GA is dry on the Sabbath.

Rain Man
04-16-2010, 12:21

ONLY if it's a bright, pretty, clear, sunshiny afternoon. My hiking partner and I tried hiking down the KCT. At dusk, those faded blue blazes disappear and there are "clearings" with no blazes at all. And at the time (can't say how it is now), the trail was so overgrown, that small trees were meeting in the middle of the trail. We got lost and had to bushwhack to a road. Beware.

As far as time to hike Georgia, adding the "approach trail" can add as much as a day of hiking, so take that into account. I started with 8-mile days to Neels Gap and found it very comfortable. After Neels Gap, I did one 11-mile day (IIRC), and then finished Georgia with 15-mile days. Obviously they were tougher, but still doable with lots of daylight hours.

Rain Man

Point Man Chef
04-16-2010, 22:06
Thanks again for all the advice! Uncle Cranky, my son will certainly appreciate that you "beasted" the trail as he considers himself one who can "beast" anything. But then again he is 16. It's one thing to "beast" but to "beast" with wisdom... And again I appreciate the realistic comments from Rain Man and others. And I would have really been a bit upset had I not known the dry Sabbath thing!!!

cowpoke
04-17-2010, 12:48
If you're going to start in the Park...I would recommend you have someone drive you to the top of the falls and start from there....unless you just like climbing stairs. Just a recommendation...have a great hike. cheers.

Point Man Chef
04-17-2010, 21:28
Thanks Cowpoke! How difficult or normal is the drive for an experienced shuttle person? Seems I read about that and the drive up was a bit sketchy for even a four wheel drive vehicle. Is that true or no big deal? I don't mind skipping the approach hike at all if it saves us some miles and time for our ultimate goal.

cowpoke
04-17-2010, 22:33
The road to the park is paved. The approach trail is nice but the stairs leaving the park office are a pain...and they go on for what seems like forever...first time I had my wife drive me to the top of the falls and started from there....second time I skipped the approach trail and got shuttled to FS 42 just north of Springer. I used Josh and Leigh at the hiker hostel ( www.hikerhostel.com ) they were great...I've stayed at the hostel a couple of times...very nice. Shuttle price was reasonable. Having done them both...I'd bypass the approach trail...but that's me. Have a great hike. cheers.

Point Man Chef
04-18-2010, 09:42
Okay Cowpoke, I'm learning as I knew I would when joining WhiteBlaze. Did some more research this morning. After talking about it we definitely want to start right at the trailhead. I'm sure the falls and all are beautiful but our ultimate goal is to get the GA section done on this outing so I am assuming that FS 42 gets us to the start/finish line? Please pardon if I am beating a dead horse. Just want to make sure my plans are accurate. I appreciate the knowledge...

Egads
04-18-2010, 09:54
From FS 42 parking, you have to hike south 0.9 mi to the Springer trailhead, then backtrack NOBO to "Complete" the GA section

cowpoke
04-18-2010, 11:44
If you haven't been to www.georgia-atclub.org I would recommend you visit. Some good info. EGADS is right...from FS 42 parking you will have to walk south on the trail for just under a mile to reach the summit of Springer Mtn...slack pack it if you can. FS 42 condition can change with the weather...all the recent rains may have caused ruts and holes...call Josh or Leigh at the hostel and get latest info on condition of road....they drive it a couple times a day. Have a great hike..cheers.

Point Man Chef
04-18-2010, 17:37
GOT IT! Thanks EGADS and Cowpoke. I have been to the GATC site and it does have some good resources. I think we will do as advised in order to meet the goal. Thanks to all on this question from a WB newbie!!!

ladytaz
12-06-2013, 18:14
I want to do this section in March. I see this is an older thread. I want to get off the trail as soon as possible after I reach the GA/NC line. Any new info on this or is it pretty much the same info? Any shuttles from here to Springer?

Rain Man
12-07-2013, 10:12
Any shuttles from here to Springer?

Can't speak about trail access road conditions, as it's been years since I was there. But for shuttle info, the ATC is a good place to start. Shuttle list (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/find-a-hike/parking-shuttles-transportation). Click on the link "A.T. Shuttle List" part-way down that page, under "Shuttles," for a pdf file of numerous shuttles in each state.

Also, check with The Hiker Hostel in GA and with Ron Haven in Franklin, NC. Finally, the Georgia AT Club was a great source of helpful folks for me when I hiked Georgia.

Georgia AT Club (http://www.georgia-atclub.org/)

www.hikerhostel.com/‎
"Hiker Hostel your full services contact for ALL hostel, slackpack, shuttle and logistic needs for hiking the Appalachian Trail, Benton MacKaye Trail ...."
7693 U.S. 19
Dahlonega, GA 30533
(770) 312-7342

Ron Haven's shuttle service. (http://www.ronhavenhikerservices.com/)
1-828-524-4406

Rain:sunMan

ladytaz
01-09-2014, 10:46
Can't speak about trail access road conditions, as it's been years since I was there. But for shuttle info, the ATC is a good place to start. Shuttle list (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/find-a-hike/parking-shuttles-transportation). Click on the link "A.T. Shuttle List" part-way down that page, under "Shuttles," for a pdf file of numerous shuttles in each state.

Also, check with The Hiker Hostel in GA and with Ron Haven in Franklin, NC. Finally, the Georgia AT Club was a great source of helpful folks for me when I hiked Georgia.

Georgia AT Club (http://www.georgia-atclub.org/)

www.hikerhostel.com/‎ (http://www.hikerhostel.com/‎)
"Hiker Hostel your full services contact for ALL hostel, slackpack, shuttle and logistic needs for hiking the Appalachian Trail, Benton MacKaye Trail ...."
7693 U.S. 19
Dahlonega, GA 30533
(770) 312-7342

Ron Haven's shuttle service. (http://www.ronhavenhikerservices.com/)
1-828-524-4406

Rain:sunMan

Thank You Rain Man

jp_over
03-16-2015, 21:36
Good info here; subscribed for future reference!

shelb
03-16-2015, 23:02
By the end of the week, you'll feel very strong and fast on the trail. Then you go home, of course, so that the next time out you can start all over again. This is the Section Hiker's Lament.

Plan for a whole week, including both weekends. That gives you 9 full days for travel, shuttle, and hiking. If you get done early, great.

Great advise! Unfortunately, section hikers can't ride out that inertia that comes with days on the trail.
Something to keep in mind - even if you can hike 10-15 miles days (or even 20) - have you done that for 7-10 days in a row? For my section-hikes, I plan around where I want to spend the night. My first day is lower milage (due to the drive), 2-5/6 days = higher milage, then I have a lower milage day, and pick it up again for the balance of my hike (max I have been out is 12 days).