PDA

View Full Version : Trekking pole

colgado
10-17-2004, 21:28
Howdy! New to the forum here and it's been great so far.

My interest right now is to make my own trekking pole. I've been to the other site and they instruct you on how to get one started with a fishing rod blank. Has anyone used this method? If so, what length blank did you use to start it?

grrickar
10-17-2004, 21:55
I saw where another guy here is using aluminum hunting arrow shafts, that might be another option to consider. My pals use bamboo poles.

I hiked with borrowed Lekis this last trip and I wouldn't use anything but now. They really helped my balance on slippery downhill slopes, and allowed me to control the speed of my descent when coming down steep runs.

gardenville
10-18-2004, 01:33
Howdy! New to the forum here and it's been great so far.

My interest right now is to make my own trekking pole. I've been to the other site and they instruct you on how to get one started with a fishing rod blank. Has anyone used this method? If so, what length blank did you use to start it?
I made mine out of some very strong Hunting Arrow shalfts. I have some pictures in my Gallery. They were very easy to made and are very strong. Weigh from 2.6oz to about 3.5oz each according to which grip I use and tip.

weary
10-18-2004, 09:06
I made mine out of some very strong Hunting Arrow shalfts. I have some pictures in my Gallery. They were very easy to made and are very strong. Weigh from 2.6oz to about 3.5oz each according to which grip I use and tip.

I now have several walking sticks, ranging in weight from 6.5 ounces to 12 ounces. All are made from strong, slightly springy wood, alder (my favorite) red maple and red oak.

Most have a 1/4-20 screw imbeded into the top so they can do double duty as a camera monopod. (combined with two human legs, the monopod makes a functional tripod.) All are equipped with soft rubber crutch tips.

The top screw also holds a commercial Komperdell cork top, complete with imbedded compass and strap. I also use round wooden draw pulls for comfortable tops and to cover the monopod screws, but tend to move the Koimperdell combination from pole to pole, depending on my intended use.

I use the lightest version for general hiking. The heaviest when bushwhacking or blazing a new trail. A quick whack with the pole will snap off dead branches up to an inch or so in diameter which are commonly found on pine, spruce and hemlock.

I have yet to break a pole while hiking. I've found light weight wood surprisingly strong -- and inexpensive, free actually.

I have a small clump of alder growing in a wet spot in my yard. The other woods I harvest while hiking, or salvage from trail clearing activities.

Most commerical wooden hiking poles are far too heavy. My best poles are less than an inch in diameter, the lightest are only a bit more than a half inch. A few crooks and twists are a plus, providing multiple grip locations to match trail conditions. In the interest of weight I peel the bark off my hiking staffs, thus saving an ounce or two and speeding the drying of green wood.

Weary

colgado
10-18-2004, 09:11
Checked out your photos. Very nice. Did you join two arrow shafts together? What method did you use and where did you get the foam grips from? Sorry for all the questions.. :cool:

MisterSweetie
10-18-2004, 09:55
Weary, how do you dry the wood you get from your yard? Any special process?

weary
10-18-2004, 16:30
Weary, how do you dry the wood you get from your yard? Any special process?

The wood I cut is very small. Less than an inch in diameter and four or five feet long. Once I strip the bark it dries in a matter of days. I just stand them in front of a sunny window for a week or so.

Even without stripping the bark, they dry within a couple of weeks.

Weary

tlbj6142
10-18-2004, 17:14
My interest right now is to make my own trekking pole. I've been to the other site and they instruct you on how to get one started with a fishing rod blank. Has anyone used this method? If so, what length blank did you use to start it?I made some arrow shaft poles. Here are the instructions (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5284). Note, they are not for everyone and will never replace (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5754) (see bottom of this thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5754)) my Lekis.

My brother looked into making carbon poles as described on bpl.com. Didn't make it too far as the store mentioned in the article wasn't too willing to part with more "blanks". YMMV.

If you are just trying to determine the correct height, I'd start out with a stick and go for a a long walk. Repeat several times. In general, I like my poles such that when my upper arms are along side my body, my hands are a few inches above parallel to the ground. Makes it easier to use the poles on downhills without needing to make an adjustment.

colgado
10-19-2004, 00:08
Thanks for all the info. I'm off to fishing stores tomorrow to look for pole blanks and also an archery shop to check out the arrow shafts. Last resort would be ordering a set from Gossamergear. :cool:

colgado
10-19-2004, 13:45
I came up with good idea while at a golf driving range today with my boss. Why not make a trekking pole out of a golf club shaft? I stopped by a Golfsmith store on the way home and picked up a cheap graphite shaft. I found one that was pretty stiff and in the clearance section. I took it home and using it on my carpet and putting my weight on it, it doesn't bend as easily. It has a ever so slight flex but that's okay. The shaft is pretty darn light too. All I need to do is come up with an idea for the grips. I'll try putting on Leki tips or something. If the OD at the end of the shaft is too big, I'll try sanding it down.

Edit: I checked out the specs on the shaft and it's claimed weight is 62 grams. I found some other shafts that are in the 50's to mid 40's. 62 grams is about 2 oz. Hopefully the fully assembled pole will weight no more than 3-4 oz. I'll make this one on a trial and error basis. If I am successful, I'll go even lighter with a better shaft.

http://sites.vwsport.com/colgado/shaft.jpg
http://sites.vwsport.com/colgado/shaftbrand.jpg

TDale
10-19-2004, 14:58
Colgado, I've used a driver shaft I snapped off at the hosel as a walking stick for a while. Put an oversized, arthritic golf grip on it. If you want wrist straps, thread them into the vent hole on the end before you put the grip on the club.

colgado
10-19-2004, 15:27
I might pick this stuff up for the grips..
http://grip-tek.com/ProductDetail.asp?id=1178

It sounds good. I wonder how long it will stick to the pole?

colgado
10-19-2004, 21:11
Purchased some Leki tips locally and went to Home Depot for some pipe insulation. I think it will make a somewhat decent grip. It weighs next to nothing. I'll update with pics later this evening.

Dances with Mice
10-19-2004, 23:13
Purchased some Leki tips locally and went to Home Depot for some pipe insulation. I think it will make a somewhat decent grip. It weighs next to nothing. I'll update with pics later this evening.

I used that pipe insulation on a my wooden hiking pole. I found "hockey stick tape" at Sports Authority. It's kind of like electrical tape but it feels much better. I covered the insulation with a layer of tape. I forget how much the tape costs, but the amount used for a single pole is negligible. I also used it to attach a strap of nylon webbing, my wrist strap.

And if I can find "hockey stick tape" in Atlanta GA, you can find it anywhere.

colgado
10-19-2004, 23:29
That actually sounds like a very good idea. I thought about tennis racket tape too. I swing by my local sporting goods store to check it out.

betic4lyf
09-17-2005, 15:58
i know its not diy but what about some cheap ski poles. on sale ofr maybe 15-20. I was wondering if anyone did this because i wanted to see what this hiking pole thing was about. and i am broak

Alligator
09-17-2005, 19:48
i know its not diy but what about some cheap ski poles. on sale ofr maybe 15-20. I was wondering if anyone did this because i wanted to see what this hiking pole thing was about. and i am broakWorks fine.

12hrsN2AT
09-18-2005, 04:08
While I am all for making your own gear, why does it look like you are spending more time and money on something that is fairly inexpensive to start with. Unless you get carbon shafts free and the padding for the top free?
Leki has actually spent allot of time, money and resources to design great trekking poles, I can't see on improving that design for less money.
If you are broke, Walmart sells the Swiss Gear trekking poles for $9.99, I have 2 that have outlasted all other cheap poles.

bugbomb
09-18-2005, 09:23
12hrsN2AT - I noticed those poles last time I was at Walmart. Any idea how much they weigh? They did seem sturdy, but very heavy, even compared to my Dad's Leki's with shock absorbers.

Ben

Lanthar Mandragoran
09-18-2005, 13:53
Yeah, saw those poles on my last visit to WM as well... may have to try them out...

12hrsN2AT
09-18-2005, 14:14
The Swiss gear pole is the exact same as the Eddie Bauer or any other $15 pole on ebay, it's just $9.99. It weighs abou 10 Oz.