PDA

View Full Version : Mont-bell down #3 sleeping bag

Ladytrekker
04-15-2010, 15:52
OK, never figured myself as being in the ultralight category. But did a 30 mile hike a few weeks ago with a 39 lb pack. Came home put up the Osprey Ariel 65 and ordered a ULA Circuit which I hauled for about 17 miles last weekend and love it, felt totally different than the Osprey, go the pack down to about 29 lbs. So now working on other items to lighten the load.

Now I am struggling with the cost of changing to a light and practical sleeping bag and if it being well worth the money. First off I generally hate mummies, I feel like I am in a straight jacket but a friend swears by the montbell that stretches and gives you moving around room.

I need critiques is it worth the money. I have my first section hike on the AT in May I want to enjoy it without carry everything and the kitchen sink on my back.

Would love opinions on this bag, I think that a 30 degree is what I should get.

The_Saint
04-15-2010, 15:56
Buy a down quilt instead.

kanga
04-15-2010, 16:00
i have the #3 as well as the #0. the #3 is my 3 season bag. i'm claustrophobic and can't stand mummies. i LOVE this bag. worth every penny and then some.

kanga
04-15-2010, 16:02
the super stretch is now the super spiral. same thing just sewn in a different pattern.

rusty075
04-15-2010, 16:11
I carried a #4 Super Stretch for my entire hike last year. The temp rating is very conservative, at least for my sleeping. With the #4 plus a silk liner I'm comfortable in temps down into the teens. It's probably my favorite piece of gear in the whole kit.

ChinMusic
04-15-2010, 16:22
First off I generally hate mummies, I feel like I am in a straight jacket but a friend swears by the montbell that stretches and gives you moving around room.

I hate regular mummies as well. We are in the same camp. I have the Montbell #0 and am looking into a #3 or #4 to replace my Marmot Hydrogen (just a bit too tight in the shoulders, but a wonderful bag). The Super Stretch removes my feeling of being claustrophobic. I no longer wake up in a panic with the zipper underneath me.

The full zipper allows for the bag to be used as a quilt. I will never buy a bag without a full zipper as I love the "quilt" option for warmer weather. I see no need for a quilt when I can unzip the bag and do basically the same thing. It gives you the best of both worlds.

rusty075
04-15-2010, 16:50
Forgot to add: I'm in the same boat with the "straight jacket" mummy bag. I move around a lot when I sleep, and I always end up twisted and discombobulated in a mummy. But not in the Montbell. There's enough stretch (in my older version at least) for me to sit cross-legged inside the bag with it fully zipped up. Makes changing clothes, putting on socks, etc, much easier in the cold.

Mother Nature
04-15-2010, 17:00
I have the Montbell Super Stretch 1 and 3. The 3 is my 3 season bag. I can't stand a mummy bag but I love these!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tammons
04-15-2010, 17:00
The Montbell SS bags are great. I had a #2 and a #5 and liked them, but I switched to an Ultra 20 down quilt and have not looked back. 20oz and I have slept in it down to 14dF. That said I am a converted hanger so...

If you really want to lose weight....

Buy a good electronic scale
Set a goal of 12# 3 season base weight
6# big 4 and 6# for everything else.
Do some online weight shopping around a 12# base weight, do a spreadsheet and don't buy anything that does not fit into that plan.

You have a ULA Circuit. A miraposa plus at 24 oz would have been better but the bircuit is 36 oz which is better than what you had so that and a...

Ultra 20 quilt - 20
blue pad - 7
Thermarest prolite 3 short - 11
Tarptent moment - 29

That is 6.5# and gets you half the way there.
Skip the blue pad and you are right at 6#.

When you are trying to keep all your other gear under 6# a few things will be expensive like insulated cloths etc. Best bang for the oz type stuff, 5 oz minima kit vest, Monbell thermawrap parka etc.

The key is just to get rid of all the junk you dont need and everything else as small and light as you can afford.

SUL water setup, pretty cheap
SUL cookset, like 5 oz or less. almost free
Everyday stuff, navigation and hygiene should weigh under a pound
Emer kit sub 4 oz
Med kit 2 oz

Ladytrekker
04-15-2010, 19:36
Thanks everyone great reviews on the bag and thanks tammons for the extra ideas going to do your suggestion. I know I found hiking with less weight was the approach I want to take. I hike alot in Florida and am beyond excited about getting on the AT for a week. When I hit the lottery or retire I plan to do a thru, so I am counting on still being able to walk then. LOL......

Egads
04-15-2010, 20:26
I have owned the #0 for a couple of years, like it so much I bought a #2 this year

Toolshed
04-15-2010, 20:31
Own the MB SS Down Hugger #2. 8th diown bag I own in last 30 years (Still have them all) and it is my favorite. Get it....

WalksInDark
07-18-2010, 00:05
Ditto on the kudos for the Mont Bell SS bags. I am a cold sleeper who uses there O bag. No claustrophobia, easy to move around, and the bag is so light it seems like it is not there.

Highly recommend them!

rpenczek
07-19-2010, 08:49
When I got my MB #3 I was 6'2" and 320lbs. I had been using a BA down bag with an 8" extender for a little additional room. The MB greatly exceeded my expectations for room and comfort. I had no troubles fitting in the bag. Now, I am down to about 235lbs and it still fits great.

The 30 degree rating on it is conservative as well. This bag is worth every penny.

sevensixtwo187
07-19-2010, 09:40
OK, never figured myself as being in the ultralight category. But did a 30 mile hike a few weeks ago with a 39 lb pack. Came home put up the Osprey Ariel 65 and ordered a ULA Circuit which I hauled for about 17 miles last weekend and love it, felt totally different than the Osprey, go the pack down to about 29 lbs. So now working on other items to lighten the load.

Now I am struggling with the cost of changing to a light and practical sleeping bag and if it being well worth the money. First off I generally hate mummies, I feel like I am in a straight jacket but a friend swears by the montbell that stretches and gives you moving around room.

I need critiques is it worth the money. I have my first section hike on the AT in May I want to enjoy it without carry everything and the kitchen sink on my back.

Would love opinions on this bag, I think that a 30 degree is what I should get.

My 3 season is the synthetic super spiral. The absolute BEST bag I have ever had. Very comfortable and really does stretch a bit. My wife hates mummy bags also but loves this bag. I sacrificed a bit of weight by getting synthetic but like the idea that it can still keep you warm when wet.