PDA

View Full Version : what bugs you on the trail?

Praha4
04-15-2010, 23:21
from talking to many hikers on the trail, I'm curious what bugs you most from your encounters with other hikers? kind of an informal poll as I begin this AT hike next week

a. Know it all attitude from another hiker who won't shutup
b. Snoring in shelters
c. Boasting about how many miles he hikes each day... the arrogant "uberhiker" who thinks he's superman
d. Hogging shelter space from gear explosions
e. other? (behavior, attitude)

I can ignore most of the above with a good set of earplugs. I'm just a simple caveman, and curious how modern hikers think on this in 2010

Lone Wolf
04-15-2010, 23:54
a simple caveman wouldn't sleep in a dirty wooden box

Johnny Appleseed
04-16-2010, 00:00
bugs bug me.

Graywolf
04-16-2010, 00:20
hikers who set there tents up in shelters takin up space

redmarbleshoe
04-16-2010, 00:50
judgment.

I hate the judging eyes or comments murmured as they see a plus size WOMAN hiker approaching them, or pulling over so they can pass (which I do immediately as they approach).

And BUGS! nats to be exact. Although B12 shots prior to the hike helps tremendously when reducing bug bites. I don't get bitten at all, no bug spray most of the time otherwise a homemade version. But the nats...near my face. A common occurrence for all I'm sure.

lucky luke
04-16-2010, 03:56
drunk hikers, yelling around. that was pretty much the only think i hated on the at. happened twice and i just moved out of sight and earshot as fast as i could. all the rest, like mice, bugs didnīt bother me at all.

happy trails
lucky luke

elray
04-16-2010, 03:58
kids and dogs

Invictus
04-16-2010, 04:59
I really dislike rude people.

DAJA
04-16-2010, 07:36
You have no control over anything or anyone outside yourself.. The only thing you can control is how you choose to respond to situations presented to you, whether it's the weather, bugs, people, etc... So if your being bothered, you can only blame yourself for responding poorly...

Ender
04-16-2010, 09:41
bugs bug me.

Exactly what I was going to say.

judgment.

Agreed.

johnnyblisters
04-16-2010, 10:01
Bugs and litterbugs. Same thing really.

double d
04-16-2010, 10:07
a simple caveman wouldn't sleep in a dirty wooden box
Haa good one LW, but they would sleep in dirty little caves!

Adayak
04-16-2010, 11:17
Aside from the creepy crawlies (Bear Grylls term), I think it's generally just when some people don't want to leave you alone. A lot of us like to hike alone and don't mind the company of nature only.

Cookerhiker
04-16-2010, 11:24
Those who like to brag about their gear unsolicited: "let me show you this cool (fill inthe blank)" If I'm interested, I'll politely and respectfully ask but don't push it on me please.

Jaybird
04-16-2010, 11:28
a. Know it all attitude from another hiker who won't shutup...Ditto!

b. Snoring in shelters..CANT STOP IT!

c. Boasting about how many miles he hikes each day... the arrogant "uberhiker" who thinks he's superman who cares!...hike yer own hike!

d. Hogging shelter space from gear explosions...i HATE that!

e. other? (behavior, attitude)
skip the pompous attitude!:D

i'll be section-hikin' Clarks Valley, PA NOBO to Greenwood Lake,NY
Apr 24-May 8
w/ "Jigsaw"

maybe we'll see some of you WHITEBLAZE folks out there!:D

Jonnycat
04-16-2010, 11:30
Psychopathic tendencies.

Fiddleback
04-16-2010, 11:39
Noise.

Noise that violates the quite, natural setting that I seek. Loud people, loud dogs, music/music instruments, etc. As you might imagine, I never stayed at a shelter when I was on the AT.

Now I'm in western Montana with a much lower trail population density. Few if any people, few if any barking dogs, no radios/mp2 players. But every once in a while I'm required to spend the night in a NP campsite. The last time I did there was a group of eight 30-40--something buddies on their annual get together. They were louder than I wanted but tolerable. What wasn't tolerable was the slamming of the privy door every time it was used. And given the group of eight, 30-40--something guys, it was used a lot.:mad:

After that, my biggest peeve is trash. Trash left by the outdoor lovin' recreationists and professionals... While I consider the Atlantic Seaboard area to be more littered I unfortunately conclude that's another function of population density. The slobs are out here, too.

FB

Deadeye
04-16-2010, 12:04
You have no control over anything or anyone outside yourself.. The only thing you can control is how you choose to respond to situations presented to you, whether it's the weather, bugs, people, etc... So if your being bothered, you can only blame yourself for responding poorly...

Ok, to a degree, or as we accountants would say, "within a relevant range." I'll agree that my personal response to natural stimuli is up to me entirely, i.e. I can let the bugs/rain/cold/heat bother me, or I can take it in stride. However, the behavior of our fellow humans can sometimes cross the line. To say it's my fault for hiking the same trail as drunken boors or worse is pushing it. People need to behave reasonably in public places, including the trail.

sherrill
04-16-2010, 13:04
Being told my gear is wrong.

joeyt1291
04-16-2010, 13:33

i agree completely

Jeff
04-16-2010, 13:49

Well said. True in life back home too.

jody
04-16-2010, 14:12
What your saying is, people can act like savages and you have to deal with it no matter what, instead of them being personally responsible for their own behavior and having consideration for their fellow man.....

Blissful
04-16-2010, 14:24
How competitive I am and how jealous I get at hikers who do better than me out there. I need to stop that and really embrace the hyoh mentality.

blackbird04217
04-16-2010, 14:35
b. Snoring in shelters

This really shouldn't bother anyone, after-all shelters are a choice. You could always pitch your tent, hammock or personal shelter of choice.

Nean
04-16-2010, 16:08
What your saying is, people can act like savages and you have to deal with it no matter what, instead of them being personally responsible for their own behavior and having consideration for their fellow man.....

I think he is saying you can not control how other people act but you have a choice of how you deal with it. :eek:

Are you a lawyer by chance?;):D

Bare Bear
04-16-2010, 16:15
As I lay in my tent inside the shelter snoring I just can not think of a thing. BTW look at this new bag I got.

Cookerhiker
04-16-2010, 16:28
As I lay in my tent inside the shelter snoring I just can not think of a thing. BTW look at this new bag I got.

And of course you also have your MP3 player loud enough that we can all hear it and your (great superior) gear is strewn all over the shelter along with the food scraps, empty beer bottles and cigarette butts.:D

Marta
04-16-2010, 19:05
And of course you also have your MP3 player loud enough that we can all hear it and your (great superior) gear is strewn all over the shelter along with the food scraps, empty beer bottles and cigarette butts.:D

Nah, the dogs ate the food scraps.

Deadeye
04-16-2010, 19:46
Being told my gear is wrong.

wouldn't happen if you had the right gear... sheesh!

MelNino
04-16-2010, 19:50
How competitive I am and how jealous I get at hikers who do better than me out there. I need to stop that and really embrace the hyoh mentality.

I do this too...trying to get better at it.

CowHead
04-16-2010, 22:52
Bugs bug me on the trail the rest is human nature and you can ether speed up or slow down to avoid that.

healthymom
04-16-2010, 23:13
When LD hiking, I make it a point to pick up at least 10 pieces of litter everyday. Depending on how close I am to a place I know I can dump the trash, I may pick up more. On day hikes, I carry a plastic grocery bag and fill it up.
I really don't want to see other people's trash, so I make each place I hike just a little cleaner for my having been there.
I realize this doesn't do much for the overall problem, but it really does make me feel better. If I inspire just one person to pick up 1 extra piece of trash, it's worth it. If just 1 person decides not to litter, then I have scored a major victory. If neither of these things happen, every place I go is just slightly nicer because I was there. That truly is enough for me.
The above is my opinion only, you are completely free to feel and do as you chose.
Dee
healthymom

Whiskyjo
04-16-2010, 23:56
A pocket knife etched into anything readable,Leaving a trace,loud drunks,and dumb punks.

Wheeler
04-17-2010, 00:29
This really shouldn't bother anyone, after-all shelters are a choice. You could always pitch your tent, hammock or personal shelter of choice.

Is that a joke? Granted, sleeping in a shelter is a crapshoot, but snoring is no different then excessive farting, talking loud/late, music, cellphones, or anything else you know interferes with others sleeping. You gonna set your tent up right next to somebody in a giant field, and keep them up, too? I mean, it was their choice to tent there, right?:eek:
Totally inconsiderate people bother me.

jesse
04-17-2010, 05:09
Bugs and litterbugs. Same thing really.

Yes, litterbugs. People who thin fire rings are for garbage. People who throw cigarette butts everywhere.

Tin Man
04-17-2010, 07:38
Most stuff people do that bugs you, amuses me. Dumb rules bug me. We don't need no stinking rules.

yappy
04-17-2010, 12:12
Thta is an incredibly honest statement... you go girl !...:)

Bags4266
04-17-2010, 12:30
When LD hiking, I make it a point to pick up at least 10 pieces of litter everyday. Depending on how close I am to a place I know I can dump the trash, I may pick up more. On day hikes, I carry a plastic grocery bag and fill it up.
I really don't want to see other people's trash, so I make each place I hike just a little cleaner for my having been there.
I realize this doesn't do much for the overall problem, but it really does make me feel better. If I inspire just one person to pick up 1 extra piece of trash, it's worth it. If just 1 person decides not to litter, then I have scored a major victory. If neither of these things happen, every place I go is just slightly nicer because I was there. That truly is enough for me.
The above is my opinion only, you are completely free to feel and do as you chose.
Dee
healthymom

I'm like that too. Every now and then I see some garbage and pick it up. Wish I could be as vigilant as you though.

chief
04-17-2010, 21:26
Dee
healthymom
Wow, does the light from that halo keep you up at night or are you able to flick it off at will?

Wolf - 23000
04-17-2010, 22:56
I hate hikers that just what to talk about gear. What sleeping bag do you use? What sleeping bag do you carry? etc. It is so annoying!!! Some really rude hikers have even gone so far to ask me to to show them while I was hiking.

Hikers that gossip about others. I know there is always going to be some gossip but some of the gossip have really cross the line. It can really reck someone trip.

Wolf

Don H
04-17-2010, 23:24
TICKS, I hate ticks!

DAJA
04-17-2010, 23:59

People will act like savages, and yes, unfortunately you will have to deal with it, how you do is your choice... You can choose to get angry, frustrated, or mad... You may choose to offer some carefully sellected words to the offensive characters to attempt some mutual respect.. You can choose to speed up or slow down to remove yourself from them... You can choose to accept or tolerate their behavior... You can choose to go home... There's always several choices in any situation..

So in life and on the trail, when you find yourself in a situation that is beyond your level of comfort, trace back the choices that put you there and don't repeat those choices in the future...

I know my triggers for aggetation and avoid putting myself in those situations... And i'm always prepared to move on when those situations are imposed on me..

healthymom
04-18-2010, 00:03
just majorly OCD. Also, no sense of humor. Way too damned serious way too much of the time.
Dee
healthymom

slow
04-18-2010, 00:16
FAT...W...hands down.

blackbird04217
04-18-2010, 05:32
Is that a joke? Granted, sleeping in a shelter is a crapshoot, but snoring is no different then excessive farting, talking loud/late, music, cellphones, or anything else you know interferes with others sleeping. You gonna set your tent up right next to somebody in a giant field, and keep them up, too? I mean, it was their choice to tent there, right?:eek:
Totally inconsiderate people bother me.

Snoring is not the same as talking loud during late hours, music, cellphones or any excuse to be inconsiderate. How someone sleeps, meaning if they snore or not isn't something they choose to do - it just happens. They don't plan out the evening to be a pain in your butt.

A bunch of people having a party at a shelter, or public hiking spot is not acceptable, in my eyes, unless they take care to be considerate of the others. Most on the trail did/do this naturally.

safn1949
04-22-2010, 10:03
I snore.It's not like I want to or that I can do anything about it.But I also prefer to tent as the bugs really like me a lot.Earplugs are a marvelous invention,cheap to.:D

sbhikes
04-22-2010, 10:26
Yahoos (people with beer and country or rock music blaring and a fire burning at all hours of the day and night. Add ATVs for the extra-strength variety. RVs are optional.)
Mosquitoes
Wet feet for days on end

Footslogger
04-22-2010, 10:43
I didn't read through all of the previous posts so this may be redundant but ....

What bugged me the most during my 2003 thru were people who complained endlessly. We all had bad days, we all got sick and tired of being wet ALL the time ...but complaining about it never made it any better, easier or drier.

'Slogger

fredmugs
04-22-2010, 15:22
NOTHING bugs me. That's why I hike!

Downunda
04-22-2010, 16:21
Those that studied the profile maps trying to worry everyone about what was to come the next day, or those that complained about the endless climbs, This is the AT after all!!

The very few who were leeches on society and took it to the AT. They didn't donate at church hostels and were always trying to get food or whatever from other hikers. Funny thing was that they had enough money to buy beer!

Jonnycat
04-22-2010, 17:09
The very few who were leeches on society and took it to the AT. They didn't donate at church hostels and were always trying to get food or whatever from other hikers. Funny thing was that they had enough money to buy beer!

Yogis are a blight on the trail.

Nearly Normal
04-22-2010, 17:19
Stop using the shelters and most of your a-e issues won't exist.

sbhikes
04-22-2010, 17:35
Those that studied the profile maps trying to worry everyone about what was to come the next day

Yeah, that really bugs me, too. I mean so what if there's a hill. Get over it.

safn1949
04-22-2010, 18:32
A hill on the AT? Who a thunk it.:D I have to admit that everyone I have meet so far on the trail have been cool.Even the the character I met a couple of days ago.Down on his luck country boy out hiking,probably never had 2 nickels to rub together,talked a mile a minute but he had a good heart.

Crazy as hell in a harmless way.You will know him when you meet him,he's heading south in VA by now.:D

mateozzz
04-22-2010, 19:18
The heat, the cold, uphills, downhills, rocks, mud, roots, road walks, dogs, mice, bears, spiders, snakes, people, solitude, shelters, tents, dry food, and cooking. I think that covers it.

Cookerhiker
04-22-2010, 19:48
The heat, the cold, uphills, downhills, rocks, mud, roots, road walks, dogs, mice, bears, spiders, snakes, people, solitude, shelters, tents, dry food, and cooking. I think that covers it.

You're the only hiker I know of who doesn't like the aforementioned phenomena but has no (apparent) problem with ticks, black flies, or mosquitos.:D

Tin Man
04-22-2010, 20:13
people who amuse me:

those that don't bother with maps, asking to look at mine

those that walk past a water supply, don't bother to stop, then ask for some of mine

those that don't bring enough food and ask me to share some of mine

those that whine they are running out of money and wish someone would help

the amusing part comes when i simply say 'that's a shame' and move on

XCskiNYC
04-22-2010, 20:38
The person who left the huge clump of cheap green nylon cord in the fire circle at site 4 at Sages Ravine Tent site. If they had just hung it on a tree it might have been usable for the next hiker. But it got all wet and mixed in with ash. It took a long time to get it all burnt away.

Also, loose dogs that are not effectively under verbal command. If you want to bring your dog on the AT, and it's safe to do so (meaning you check to make sure the rocks aren't abrading and cutting your dog's foot pads), then by all means. But please keep the dog on a leash unless it's one of those dogs that's got enough training that it will not bother anybody else and it will come when you call it. Many dogs will come when called under ideal circumstances. Far fewer will do so in the wilderness.

Finally, drunk people who won't share their Jameson's with me.

WILLIAM HAYES
04-22-2010, 21:04
snoring is snoring if you stay in shelters get use to it-buy some earplugs-nothing much bothers me except loud hikers -i avoid shelters as much as i can

guitboxdude25
04-22-2010, 22:42
My biggest issue is hikers who can't relax. Some people snore. Some people need to use their phones. Some people brag about their hike, some people don't talk at all. Some people like to party on the trail and some people want peace and quiet. If we all just stay aware of other peoples needs and respect those needs the best we can, you're trail experience will be better.

fw2008
04-23-2010, 20:50
bugs bug me.
I'll second that. Nothing more irritating than the mosquitoes and black flies.

FW

fw2008
04-23-2010, 20:53
Why hike then?

Wise Old Owl
04-23-2010, 21:33
I really dislike rude people.

Me too. And sometimes I have no idea when I was rude.

I hate hikers that just what to talk about gear. What sleeping bag do you use? What sleeping bag do you carry? etc. It is so annoying!!! Some really rude hikers have even gone so far to ask me to to show them while I was hiking.

Hikers that gossip about others. I know there is always going to be some gossip but some of the gossip have really cross the line. It can really reck someone trip.

Wolf

Control the conversation by asking an near unrelated question, for example "why would that piece of gear be important to you" or "I am sure that most folk would accept that person for face value... why would you say that....etc. If they are clueless or a "talking incessant head" tell them "hey I need a break...for a moment" walk away.

I'll second that. Nothing more irritating than the mosquitoes and black flies.

FW

Yep so my list is:

Mosquitos
hiker trash
broken glass on the trail
Hunter marking tape.
rude people
gossip
graffitti

people that set appointments for a hike and can't get it together..

People that clearly are threat. Far more dangerous than a bear.

JRiker
04-23-2010, 21:34
Yeah, that really bugs me, too. I mean so what if there's a hill. Get over it.

get over it! hahahaha...:D

Wolf - 23000
04-24-2010, 01:58
Control the conversation by asking an near unrelated question, for example "why would that piece of gear be important to you" or "I am sure that most folk would accept that person for face value... why would you say that....etc. If they are clueless or a "talking incessant head" tell them "hey I need a break...for a moment" walk away.

Thanks Wise Old Owl for the suggestion but I don't think it works to well. I've asked why many times and the only thing I get is dumb answers, "I just want to learn how you do it". Like they are really going to race out to the store and buy a new sleeping bag or such.

It really gets annoying. I have nothing against gear heads but not everyone is interested in comparing list. I'm happy with what I carry and if I wasn't, I won't be carrying it.

Wolf

RGB
04-24-2010, 04:23
Why hike then?

I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic.

Invictus
04-24-2010, 08:11
I have been sitting here contimplaiting this for a minute. I have stated previously that I dislike rude people. I have to say that the thing I dislike about the trail the most has not a thing to do with other people or other anything for that matter. The trail, to me, is a place of solitude and repreave, a place where I can find serenity. I can muck that up for myself better than anyone or anything. I try the best i can to leave my worries and cares behind when I hit the trail. When I don't do this is when I make havok for myself and this can make a great hiking day turn into a day of just staring at dirt and rocks. Not to say that the trail is not a great place to work through things, mentally. It is when I hold onto stuff and dwell in it that I drag myself into the negativity of it. this is the thing I hate about the trail the most. Not being able to get out of MY OWN way.

Lion King
04-24-2010, 10:39
Black Flies, or any fly since I'm not racist

Mo-sleeters

Horseflies, although they are slow so you can kill them before the bite

any biting blood sucking bug...hate them

Humidity, rocks for miles when the land outside the trail is smooth...and dont tell me its for the path to prevent erosion since GA gets tons of usages and is rather nice overall;

People who KNOW they are horrific snores who insist on sleeping in shelters--I dont sleep in shelters because tenting is better--- but its common courtesy,

if you say "If you dont like snoring, you shouldnt sleep in a shelter" youre a snorer who is rude and inconsiderate of 6 others, 1 at least whose night of sleep you will ruin by your condition. I know this becasue of hiking all day, listening to someone snore all night then not being able to hike the next day. Best thing is it taught me to love being away from shelters.

Society on the trail. (Meaning your baggage and beliefs pushed to the point of causing others discomfort and emotional/physical stress or pain.

Cell phones around others...if you have it, take a walk and use it.

Radios at campsights, I like birds and rivers and wind. use your earphones and hike, not everyone wants to hear NPR, The weather, static talk, gospel, rap or whatever your pleasure.