PDA

View Full Version : 20 Degree bag or 40 Degree bag with liner?

Thruorbust
04-16-2010, 10:35
Hey everyone,

I will be starting my thru on May 15 and am finalizing all of my things. My original plan was to get a 20* bag, but I feel that 3/4ths of the trail will be uncomfortable :( just for me to have safety from a cold snap as I get to the more northern states.

Would it be better to get say a 40* bag and then pack a liner in case the temperatures dip too low?

Dumb idea, or unsafe?

JRiker
04-16-2010, 10:41
i prefer a bag with liner. i use a 30 down bag with a light fleece liner, but i'm thinking of upgrading to a silk liner. just my $0.02

JRiker
04-16-2010, 10:42
of course, i'm a fairly warm sleeper, so ymmv.

scope
04-16-2010, 11:09
20 bag with full zipper. Just use as a quilt when it gets warm, hang legs and arms out as needed to regulate temp.

Wags
04-16-2010, 12:33
you'll need the 20 when you get up into the whites. instead of a liner, i prefer a down jacket, raises temps similarly in the bag, but then you stay warm if you have to get out of it :D

i agree with scope's statement. full zip a must (an actual quilt is a better option imo)

garlic08
04-16-2010, 13:27
In mid-May, I'm not positive but I think you'll be safe from early cold snaps. I did OK farther north with a 45 bag in mid-May.

I'm not normally a big fan of liners, but if you want to do this hike with only one bag, it may be an OK way to go. Maybe pick up a liner in New England, depending on your pace. Who knows, maybe you'll hike fast and finish in September and you won't need it. A lot depends on when you get up north.

Good luck!

butts0989
04-16-2010, 13:54
i use a WM summerlite bag 32 degree with a liner, but i take out the liner in the summer months

Lyle
04-16-2010, 14:03
Either will probably work until you get up north. Reasons to use a liner (in order of importance):

1) Keep your sleeping bag cleaner

2) More comfortable sleep in the in-between times - too warm to be in your bag, too cool to sleep without something. Having the liner allows you to sleep only partially under your bag, but keeps the chilly night air from hitting you directly.

3) A fairly long way down the list as a reason is to increase warmth. Silk liners only add about 3* warmth, not 9* as advertised. Fleece may do better on this count, but no where near as light or compact as a silk liner.

Why not split the difference, and get a 30* bag for summer. That's what I usually use, and it works out well 98% of the time.

Blissful
04-16-2010, 14:33
30 degree would be good.

Thruorbust
04-16-2010, 15:25
Thanks everyone,

I'll probably go ahead and get a 20-30* bag and see what is going on with weather as I reach New England and then substitute a liner from an outfitter if its necessary.

My buddy is taking his grandmothers -25* bag from a couple decades ago so we'll see how that turns out haha.

The Unknown Hiker
04-16-2010, 15:27
Assume you are starting at Springer. Still can be cool in higher elevations.

Only problem with a bag liner is that you want to make sure the combo of your body and liner does not compress the down (you are using a down bag?) and you lose some insulation capability.

Why not get a 32-degree bag? Mountain Hardware makes the Phantom that weighs 1.5 pounds - not too bad from a weight standpoint.

scope
04-16-2010, 15:37
Why not get a 32-degree bag? Mountain Hardware makes the Phantom that weighs 1.5 pounds - not too bad from a weight standpoint.

Great bag, but its a 3/4 zip, annoying to vent your legs/feet.

Actually, I like the idea of taking a liner anyway because when things heat up, it can still be real warm at hiker midnite, but then drop to 40s or less overnite. Go to sleep in the liner when its warm, pull the bag/quilt over you when you get cool. Could probably get away with a 30/40 full-zip bag with this setup depending on the stoutness of the liner.

Nean
04-16-2010, 15:57
Thanks everyone,

I'll probably go ahead and get a 20-30* bag and see what is going on with weather as I reach New England and then substitute a liner from an outfitter if its necessary.

My buddy is taking his grandmothers -25* bag from a couple decades ago so we'll see how that turns out haha.

I had a 35 degree bag from 89 that was well worn w/ a silk liner that I used on last winters hike. Ok, so I had a dog that slept under the bag with me- but I never ziped my bag. Depends on how warm you sleep and how uncomfortable colder weather bothers you. I hate getting too hot in my bag and sleep warm. Ymmv:)