PDA

View Full Version : MSR Miniworks water filter

grrickar
10-17-2004, 22:19
This filter performed extremely well on my section hike. The ceramic element is easy to clean, and the entire pump breaks down in the field with no tools. I had to clean the element about 3 times in 9 days.

A couple of times I cleaned it when it really did not have to be, but cleaning it meant the pumping produced more output. It is a bit heavier than some pumps, but worth it to me. The ability to clean it easily and break it down in the field is worth the bit of extra weight IMO.

The only feature I would add is a hose barb at the output point to allow an output hose to be added. It will thread onto a wide mouth nalgene bottle or to any hydration bladder with a similar thread. The hose barb idea probably could be easily accomplished with a bit of modification.

To clean the element all one has to do is unthread the body of the filter, pop out the ceramic element and use a 'scrubbie' pad to brush the gunk off the outside of the filter. A feeler gauge is included with the filter to gauge when it is time to replace the filter element.

Many times we would be filtering clear water that did not appear to have silt or anything in it, but after pumping 4 liters or so the outside of the filter would appear black, so it was filtering out something.

There was never a time when it absolutely clogged and would not pump, but then again we cleaned it to keep the output high so we never really gave it a chance to clog. I have a spare kit for it, with various gaskets, valves and o-rings in it, and if you dump the hard plastic case it all comes in you could easily carry the full maintenance kit in a small ziploc for just a bit of added weight.

Sparky!
10-19-2004, 11:52
I too have the MSR miniworks, I NEVER have had any problems withit. Also with the "new" filter cartridge that replaced the original filter the flow has greatly increased.

a fellow hiker stepped on my bottom cover that screws into the bottom of the filter to keep it clean. Needless to say the cover broke. I called MSR and asked them where I could purchase another. They said Summit Hut had all the replacement parts that I would everwant. The rep asked about how the cover broke and I told him about it and that the filter system was already 5 years old. He chuckled at my tale of misery and he said he would send me a new cover FREE of charge. Even after 5 years after the sale MSR still stood next to thier product....

Sparky-PA

Moose2001
10-19-2004, 18:29
I've used the MSR filters for both my 2001 and 2003 hike. I used the older model for 2001 and bought the new and improved, red top, one for 2003. By the time I got to Maine in 2003, I wanted to chuck the thing into the deepest, darkest body of water I could find.

MSR's reports that the new filter pumps faster are pure fantasy. It pumps no faster than the older model. I got to the point that I would clean the filter prior to every pumping. The least little dirt on the filter would slow it down to just a trickle. Plus, the amount of force needed to pump with the MSR is lots more than the Katahydn (PUR).

MSR makes great filters. Almost indestrucible and easy to clean. I just can't recommend them for extended use. I've already bought my Katahydn Hiker for 2005.

Ramble~On
10-19-2004, 19:15
I ran a Backpacking Program for a few years and experimented with every filter out there.

The MSR filters were a waste of time and money...just my 2 cents.
For individual use I haven't found anything that beats the Pur (Katadyn) Hiker.
Inexpensive, Light, Easy to Use and has an incredible output...33 pumps per quart.
For larger groups the Katadyn Combi gets my vote.

SavageLlama
10-19-2004, 20:01
We just used an MSR filter for a thru-hike of the Long Trail. It worked great and always produced great-tasting, ultra-pure water. And we were pulling water out of some nasty-ass puddles.. :cool:

Once you have used it for a while, you will need to start cleaning the filter more often. But the ceramic core is really easy to clean and lasts forever.

Peaks
10-20-2004, 08:23
Well, I wasn't going to suggest another filter, but because others have posted about the Katadyn Hiker, then I'll add my 2 cents.

First, there is personal preference in all gear choices. When it comes to water treatment, some choose not to treat, others use chemicals, and others use filters. There is no consentious on what is better.

Among filter users, the Katadyn Hiker is preferred because it pumps much faster than others, including the MSR filters. And if you are concerned about the cartridge plugging up, which it does with time, Katadyn guarantees their cartridges for a year. So, during a thru-hike, you can exchange filters at any outfitter along the way for no charge.

oldfivetango
01-06-2005, 13:16
I'm wondereing if anyone has used a prefilter with their MSR ceramic filter.
I ordered a sweetwater prefilter which i may have to "forcefit" unless i get
lucky but thought it might me worth the $10 cost of admission if it works on
other models.
Oldfivetango

grrickar
01-06-2005, 14:40
I have not used one, but a coffee filter rubber-banded over the end of the intake hose helps some (at least with silt)

JoeHiker
01-06-2005, 16:34
I have an MSR Sweetwater which I preferred over the Miniworks because it was lighter and smaller. Seems a bit more comparable to the Katadyn Hiker than the Miniworks is. I sure like it.

Nameless
01-06-2005, 19:39
Dont like the sweetwater at all...

I once went on a trip with four of them where i brought my miniworks. Sure glad i did, every sweetwater broke down. Quite a large group was living off of my miniworks. I've also seen solo hikers take along sweetwaters and end up relying on mine. I have seen a few survive, less then i have seen die though. mabey there is just something in Alaska's water, but we just cant keep the sweetwaters working. Had a miniworks break down on me once though, it was quickly replaced by either REI or MSR, dont remember which, but i dont like being without some sort of purifiation on a trip, even though i Probably will not get affected, i dont want to chance it... so now i use polar pure, doesnt break down.

Pink

cyclocrosser
01-13-2005, 18:23
I've used the MSR filters for both my 2001 and 2003 hike. I used the older model for 2001 and bought the new and improved, red top, one for 2003. By the time I got to Maine in 2003, I wanted to chuck the thing into the deepest, darkest body of water I could find.

MSR's reports that the new filter pumps faster are pure fantasy. It pumps no faster than the older model. I got to the point that I would clean the filter prior to every pumping. The least little dirt on the filter would slow it down to just a trickle. Plus, the amount of force needed to pump with the MSR is lots more than the Katahydn (PUR).

MSR makes great filters. Almost indestrucible and easy to clean. I just can't recommend them for extended use. I've already bought my Katahydn Hiker for 2005.

I have used the old model (blue top) side by side to the new (red top) MSR Miniworks and the red top pumps 3 (3 nalgenes to 1) times faster than the old model. But I will agree that it does get slowed down easily. Has anyone used the new MSR Miox, the one that uses salt crystals to create a formula to purify water?

JoeHiker
01-13-2005, 18:29
Dont like the sweetwater at all...

I once went on a trip with four of them where i brought my miniworks. Sure glad i did, every sweetwater broke down.
How exactly did they break down?

Papa Razzi
01-13-2005, 23:51
How exactly did they break down?

Sweetwater filters (or at least the ones I've used) tend to clog very easily. You're supposed to clean the filter every few gallons with a provided brush, but I apparently never mastered that art. After a while, the filter clogs so frequently that it just becomes frustrating to use. I haven't done a rigorous test of when this happens, but it feels like well before the advertised 200 gallon lifetime.

Anyone else have better luck with their sweetwater filter?

- The Saint

JoeHiker
01-14-2005, 15:37
Frequent clogging will certainly be unwelcome if it happens (I haven't really put my Sweetwater through the paces yet) but while that will certainly be annoying and might cause me to try something else, I wouldn't call that "breaking down". I thought that "Nameless" meant no longer working, period.

ScottP
01-25-2005, 17:32
Reliable, VERY slow. I would only take it if you are going somewhere that has murky water,will be alone, and will not be sweating much. I took my miniworks on a 2 person, summer BWCA trip and after the first day we gave up using the filter altogether. There's really no reason to carry a filter when there's clear-running rivers or clean lakes (but I live in Michigan, so most of the water is swampy, and filters are nessecary).

Footslogger
01-25-2005, 18:01
Reliable, VERY slow. I would only take it if you are going somewhere that has murky water,will be alone, and will not be sweating much. I took my miniworks on a 2 person, summer BWCA trip and after the first day we gave up using the filter altogether. There's really no reason to carry a filter when there's clear-running rivers or clean lakes (but I live in Michigan, so most of the water is swampy, and filters are nessecary).=======================================
I had the same experience. In fact ...I would go so far as to say that it works "too well", if that is possible. Took ours on a hike in Big Bend National Park (Texas). One of our few water sources was a little puddle at the base of a huge rock. The water was full of sediment and murky ...but hey, we needed water. The Mini-works plugged up before I could pump a liter. That was the last time we ever used ours. In the mean time I've switched to a chemical treatement method so the Mini-works and my 3 other filters are all in the gear locker gathering dust.

'Slogger
AT 2003

c.coyle
06-26-2005, 10:46
My son will be spending 27 months in Bangladesh. He's been told to bring a water filter. Reliability, durability, and field maintainability are critical, since replacements and parts will be totally unavailable. Weight, bulk, and price are less important.

The MSR MiniWorks Ex seems to meet these criteria, but I've always been an iodine / Aqua Mira guy, so what do I know?

The only criticism I've seen here is that it's slow.

I'd be interested in thoughts, suggestions, better choices.

Kerosene
06-26-2005, 13:07
I've switched to Aqua Mira after using my Sweetwater filter for about 500 miles. Frankly, I feel that a filter is really only valuable if there is a lot of sediment and stuff from a suspect water source. I may very well bring it again in sections where quality water sources are scarce, but it's nice to be able to save more than a half pound in weight.

DLFrost
06-27-2005, 01:35
The only feature I would add is a hose barb at the output point to allow an output hose to be added.
The MiniWorks filters have these now. A couple of other observations...

The MiniWorks uses a bit of foam as a grit screen. It's good to check/clean this now and again. (Slide the wire cage up the hose, then pull the plastic endpiece out.) This simple arrangement can be replaced with one of the micro-screen prefilters (about $15) for extended use or use in nastier waters. I suspect this would help a lot with this particular filter.

Any filter with a ceramic matrix needs to be regularly sterilized. (Pump through a solution of hydrogen peroxide & water--at say, 1/8th strength). If you don't do this, material lodged on the surface of the matrix can sprout mould/fungus/bacterial growth. Then the next time you use the filter you're forced to clean it. Over time tendrils growing into the filter can gunk it so bad that even cleaning it doesn't restore its full capacity. (Or in the case of the MiniWorks you're forced to scrub away lots more filter, significantly shortening its life.) With the MiniWorks you can take out the filter and just rinse it with the solution and let it air dry for a few days.

Don't forget to lube regularly if you have a MiniWorks. This speeds pumping and makes it easier at all the same time. Blistix lip balm works fine. :)

If you have the time it's better to carry your water back to camp and let it settle out before filtering. You can use several gallon-sized ziplock freezer bags to carry water and just let it sit for a few mins to an hour. It's more comfortable to do your filtering in camp or at the shelter anyway, and you'll be surprised at how much crap settles out of even clear-looking water. (And if you're just going to boil that water for dinner letting it sit and warm up helps save stove fuel.)

I like to use the MiniWorks because I backpack mostly in the south (Smokies & etc.) and being able to filter some water and drink it cold cold cold is a real treat when it's hot hot hot. If I were a long sectioner or a thru I would probably use Aqua Mira like lots of others are.

Doug Frost

grrickar
06-27-2005, 05:37
On a recent section hike in NC one thing that I noticed was that the Kataydin Hiker will continue to pump even when the filter needs to be replaced. We were pumping water for a large group and had been using the Hiker to pump several Platys and nalgenes full. That was when I noticed the water filtered with the Hiker, which we were scooping from a running stream and letting settle out first, had a very distinct yellow tinge to it like there was still a good bit of sediment suspended in there. I mentioned this to the guy carrying the filter who replied that he had never changed the filter in all the years he had it.

We started using the two MSR Miniworks we brought and they clogged frequently, and were slow, but the difference in the water was amazing.

I'll take a filter that pulls out the gunk but clogs more over one that is light and doesn't work 100% anyday. Not sure why his was still allowing water to pump if the filter was in need of replacement. My only complaint was that is heavy. The clogging isn't so bad IMO.

Husko
11-06-2005, 17:46
I thought it worked pretty good. I had a few problems with it clogging up reallly fast on my last trip. Storms kicked up lake michigan so badly that it was full of sand and man i froze my butt off just trying to pump some water from the lake. it clogged up about every 5 pumps. I guess that shows it was working though :) I ended up taking an extended walk to a calmer lake inland.

The whole priming of the pump is a little confusing. Infact, i'm still not sure if im doing it write since it pumps water regardless.

My previous pump was a PUR Hiker. I liked the simplicity of that pump.

SKCM
11-06-2005, 19:09
I have the MSR, The only time I had an issue was when I was hiking in PA on the Quehanna Trail (QT). The water had so much tanic acid that I was constantly cleaning it. I other than that I have not had a problem... works great!

SKCM

Omni
11-11-2005, 23:08
I have the old "blue top" model and was wondering if the new "red top" filters will work?

CynJ
11-12-2005, 00:25
I've been going back and forth between the Katadyn Pro and the MSR Miniworks EX

I think I'm leaning a litte more towards the Katadyn - I've heard far few stories of problems with it. And it has a carbon core - I live out of my Brita pitcher here at home and love how carbon "cleans" the water. It just leaves a pleasant taste.

Roland
11-12-2005, 07:07
I've been going back and forth between the Katadyn Pro and the MSR Miniworks EX

I think I'm leaning a litte more towards the Katadyn - I've heard far few stories of problems with it. And it has a carbon core - I live out of my Brita pitcher here at home and love how carbon "cleans" the water. It just leaves a pleasant taste.
The MiniWorks EX also has a carbon core.

DavidNH
11-12-2005, 19:49
One big difference. When a hiker pur cartridge gets clogged..you are done filtering till you can get a new filter whichis not always easy and close by. If the msr mini works gets clogged..take the scrubby and scrub the ceramic core and you are good to go again. It works, is field maintainable, and lasts. It may be a tad on the slow side...but hay...what's the rush...were are backpacking..not running a marthon race!!!

Oh and on the subject..I will absolutely have my msr filter on my upcoming through hike..even if it does way a pound. Chemical treatment means waiting 20-30 minutes. One can drink filtered water immediately after one is done pumping. Need I say more?

Davidnh.

Peaks
11-13-2005, 09:43
One big difference. When a hiker pur cartridge gets clogged..you are done filtering till you can get a new filter whichis not always easy and close by. If the msr mini works gets clogged..take the scrubby and scrub the ceramic core and you are good to go again. It works, is field maintainable, and lasts. It may be a tad on the slow side...but hay...what's the rush...were are backpacking..not running a marthon race!!!

Davidnh.

David,

In my experience, a filter doesn't suddenly stop working and get plugged up. You have ample warning. You notice that it gets harder and harder to pump. So, a little light goes off in your head: Time to replace the cartridge at the next outfitter.

What's the rush? Well, there are other things that I would rather do at the end of a day then spend a lot of time filtering a couple of liters of water. You come to appreciate how much faster and easier it is to filter water with the Kataydn Hiker filter.

SunnyWalker
11-05-2009, 15:19
Hello! Earth to hiker! If the thing continues to pump water and the filter is clogged iis it working (filtering)??!!?
I use an MSR Sweetwater system and I've found it to be real good. I clean the filter after eash use though. This only takes a second. I use the pre-filter dealy on the end of the hose and wrap a coffee filter around that. If the water is murky I take it out with a pot and let it settle for a few minutes. No bigee.

lazy river road
11-05-2009, 17:14
Savage which MSR Filter did you use on the LT. I am planning on E2E the LT this summer and have been considering various water purification options.

brooklynkayak
11-05-2009, 18:27
Regarding the MSR Miniworks EX,

The MSR's big advantage is that you don't throw the filter away after it's been plugged up, you scrub off the outside layer of the ceramic and you are good as new. You can do this many times before having to replace the filter. There is a guage to let you know when it has been scrubbed to much.
That is a bug advantage, isn't it?

I guess not everybody knows this, but you should always pre-filter, especially if the water is not clear. You can plug up any filter pretty fast if there is a lot gunk in it. I use layerd coffee filters, but I'm sure there are better options.

Liv2Ride
06-29-2010, 22:25
.....The only feature I would add is a hose barb at the output point to allow an output hose to be added.

I know this is a very old post but just in case people are still reading it...as I just did I want to say that the newer Miniworks EX does have a nozzle (for lack of a better discription) at the output end. I am able to filter water directly into my Camelbak through the drink tube. I simply take the bottom off of the EX and put a short piece of tubing on the Miniworks output "nozzle" and on the other end of that same tube I have the male end of the camelbak quick disconnect. Then I am able to connect it directly into the female end of the quick disconnect that's installed on the camelbak drink tube and start pumping water right into the camelbak without taking the bladder out of my pack. I also use the same setup and pump directly into water bottles or anything else. Even though the Miniworks is heavy I do trust it more than I do my gravity filter which uses the Katadyn Hiker Pro filter. Each to their own though. I also like and trust my Polar Pure. Very easy and never goes bad.