PDA

View Full Version : Montbell UL SSprial 3 Vs. MH Phantom 32

Matty427
04-16-2010, 17:04
I purchased a Big Agnes bag for a month long trip on the AT in June because I hate the confines of a mummy bag. After getting it and trying it out, I love it but it's just too bulky and too heavy (nearly 4.25lbs including the pad). I've decided to go with something much lighter, and I've narrowed it down to these two choices.

I'm a side-sleeper and sleep warm. I figure a 30/32 degree bag is good for me for most of my hiking that I'll be doing.

I tried out the Phantom at REI and really felt comfortable, but I was also in a climate controlled store on a carpeted sleeping platform, so I don't know how much I trust that. I've never tried a Montbell stretch bag, but like the idea in theory, but have no experience with it.

Any input or insight would be appreciated as I've only got about a month before I leave and need to order something soon.

butts0989
04-16-2010, 17:22
Im not sure what kind of money you are planning to spend but here is my advice: You're right on buying a 30 degree bag, its perfect for a 3 season set. I REALLY like the feel of the MontBell superstretch system, but Im not to pleased with the warmth. Because montbell uses the stretch system it keeps the down in a constant compressed state that does not utilize the full potential of the down inside the bag. It does allow it to stretch and is very comfy but sacrifices warmth.

I personally use a Western Mountaineering Summerlite and love it. In the early spring and late fall i carry a silk liner that weighs just under 5 ounces that can allow me to stretch my bag down into the upper teens (wearing a lot of my clothing inside the bag as well). My total sleep system looks like this-- WM summerlite (19oz), Thermarest ridgerest cut (8oz), silk liner (4.8oz). The total is 31.5 ounces, so just at 2lbs with all the stuffsacks.

Egads
04-16-2010, 17:46
Because montbell uses the stretch system it keeps the down in a constant compressed state that does not utilize the full potential of the down inside the bag. It does allow it to stretch and is very comfy but sacrifices warmth

I respectfully disagree with you as do many other MB owners.

kanga
04-16-2010, 21:16
Im not sure what kind of money you are planning to spend but here is my advice: You're right on buying a 30 degree bag, its perfect for a 3 season set. I REALLY like the feel of the MontBell superstretch system, but Im not to pleased with the warmth. Because montbell uses the stretch system it keeps the down in a constant compressed state that does not utilize the full potential of the down inside the bag. It does allow it to stretch and is very comfy but sacrifices warmth.

I personally use a Western Mountaineering Summerlite and love it. In the early spring and late fall i carry a silk liner that weighs just under 5 ounces that can allow me to stretch my bag down into the upper teens (wearing a lot of my clothing inside the bag as well). My total sleep system looks like this-- WM summerlite (19oz), Thermarest ridgerest cut (8oz), silk liner (4.8oz). The total is 31.5 ounces, so just at 2lbs with all the stuffsacks.
i will only 1/2 way respectfully disagree with you. i have the mbulss0 and if you let that thing sit out of the bag for 5 seconds, it's 2 ft tall! it's like a down explosion of puffiness! however... my #3 (30*) left my butt (yes, just my butt) COLD on standing indian about a month ago in probably 25* temps w/ wind chill (the rest of me was fine but i was still pissy - the #0 has gone well below 0).
haven't ever used a wm but you probably won't ever catch me doing it. i am 100% sold on mb (until they, like everybody else, decide to change things and **** it all up.)

STICK
04-18-2010, 22:11
I have read a few comments that the 30* (#3) MB bags were kind of lacking. Which is why I was shocked that they quit making the #2's. They seemed to be a great bag and everyone that had them loved them.
I am debating getting a # 3 or a # 5 for my 3 season, but that is only cause I don't want to spend the money on the WM Megalite. Hpwever I am about to get a WM Antelope for my winter bag, and I can't wait!

LIhikers
04-18-2010, 22:36
I have a Montbell ultra light, super stretch, down hugger, #2 and love it.
It's warm comfortable and pretty light.
I toss and turn in my sleep and this bag leets me do that with no problem.
I imagine the spiral, stretch bags do the same.

Matty427
04-19-2010, 20:43
Thanks for the advice all. I decided to go with the MH Phantom because I could use my REI 20% coupon. I got the long version and I really like it (even at 5 foot 9).

tammons
04-19-2010, 20:48
I have read a few comments that the 30* (#3) MB bags were kind of lacking. Which is why I was shocked that they quit making the #2's. They seemed to be a great bag and everyone that had them loved them.
I am debating getting a # 3 or a # 5 for my 3 season, but that is only cause I don't want to spend the money on the WM Megalite. Hpwever I am about to get a WM Antelope for my winter bag, and I can't wait!

The MB #3 has a zipper baffle. The #5 does not.