PDA

View Full Version : What kind of knife do you carry.....

STICK
04-17-2010, 14:28
What kind of blade do you prefer to carry with you on a hike?

Fixed blade?
Folding blade?
Multi-tool?
Combination of these?

Why do you prefer this type over the others?

Which particular brand and style of knife do you favor and why?

How about the sheath? Is the sheath that came with it adequate for your needs? Does it attach to your pack the way you want it too?

What, in your opinion, is the best way to attach a knife?

To the hip belt?
To a shoulder strap?
To a lanyard around your neck?
Inside your pack?

(All of this is meant to be in general. I understand different circumstances call for different applications. So, this is in light of a general hike, whether it is for days on end, or simply just for a day. No real bush wacking type stuff involved unless you just really have to go potty now!)

Feral Bill
04-17-2010, 14:39
Tiny Swiss Army Knife

Darwin again
04-17-2010, 14:43
Swiss Army Classic SD, the smallest knife with a blade, tweezers and scissors. It rides in a pouch on my pack waist belt.

Darwin again
04-17-2010, 14:44
... and it's attached to a lanyard with an LED micro light and a whistle.

Trailbender
04-17-2010, 14:54
Camillus US Army issue pocketknife(they are discontinued now). It weighs 3 oz, and has all the tools I need on it. I use it constantly. It is attached to a lanyard on my belt, along with a diamond rod sharpener.

PurpleTimb
04-17-2010, 15:19
I carry a Mora fixed blade knife on a neck lanyard. I find a slightly larger knife useful because I use a wood burning stove. It weights in right at 4 oz including sheath and lanyard.

Dr O
04-17-2010, 15:20
Gerber Paraframe

JRiker
04-17-2010, 15:32
gerber ridge. didn't like the clip, took it off, worn around my neck on paracord.

Bags4266
04-17-2010, 15:45
I use to carry a swiss amry at over 3 oz. Funny thing is I never use it. So now I carry this, http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?CATEGORY=RETRACTABLE&TYPE=PRODUCT&PARTNUMBER=10-039&SDesc=3%2D1%2F2%26%2334%3B+Mitey%2DKnife%26%23174% 3B+Key+Chain+Pocket+Knife

weighs about .4 oz if that. I only need it to cut line and open my vacume sealed food pouches.

Father Dragon
04-17-2010, 16:09
I carry a Gerber Big Rock some of the time and/or the pocket knife the ATC sells ... really depends on time of year and what I'm planing to do. I tend to carry the big knife only in the winter these days... though I've missed having it a few times when I've been cutting up veggies for the night after the resupply feast! I'm thinking of just carrying a few razor blades on my next section through PA b/c I want to go super UL so I can knock the whole state out in one trip.

STICK
04-17-2010, 16:11
I'll have to look into the one the ATC sells.

BiGKaT
04-17-2010, 17:52
I love my little swiss army with the self sharpening scissors, The small blade and the scissors are just about all I use.

Hikingsasquatch
04-17-2010, 18:02
Had an old Spyderco Endura that lasted for years, until I left it in a restaurant bathroom. Came back 30 minutes later...gone. Just picked up a Gerber EVO JR. Not quite as easy to open as the old Spyderco, but it is quite compact and lightweight.

amac
04-17-2010, 19:30
Swiss Army Rambler

ChinMusic
04-17-2010, 19:41
Tiny Swiss Army with a scissors. I use the scissors MUCH more than I thought I would.

Nearly Normal
04-17-2010, 19:41
Same kind as I've carried every day since I was about 10 years old. A small folding pocket knife. Fix a broke nail, cut off a loose thread, dress a fish or a rabbit.
If you have your pants on you ought to have a pocket knife. If you aint got one when you need it, or if it aint sharp, that's your fault.

Phreak
04-17-2010, 19:59
Kershaw Chive (http://kershawknives.com/searchresults.php?brand=kershaw&search_by=productname&search_value=41_Chive&x=70&y=13)

Raul Perez
04-17-2010, 20:07
RAT 3... strapped to my left shoulder strap.

I need a knife to baton wood to split it into smaller pieces for fire. RAT 3 is a great, tough little knife.

Seeker
04-17-2010, 20:16
depends on what i'm doing...

For a conversation piece, i have a SAK Champ.
My daily pocketknife is a SAK Tinker. Before that, it was a Camillus Barlow knife that i'd had since 7th grade. When i was 4 or 5, my dad gave me a small Camillus one-blade pocketknife.

For backpacking, it's a SAK Classic (the tiny one)
For canoeing it's a SAK Huntsman and a sheath knife.

MelNino
04-17-2010, 21:30
I love knives, and collect 'em. I have a Victorinox One-handed trekker and Tuckerman Colonial that live in my packs....the others are small blades.

Skidsteer
04-17-2010, 22:42
Same kind as I've carried every day since I was about 10 years old. A small folding pocket knife. Fix a broke nail, cut off a loose thread, dress a fish or a rabbit.
If you have your pants on you ought to have a pocket knife. If you aint got one when you need it, or if it aint sharp, that's your fault.

Words of wisdom.

Yukon
04-18-2010, 06:36
Leatherman Skeletool CX...

ragincajun
04-18-2010, 06:46
a good knife is a fixed blade with holes on one side of blade that can be used to tie a stick to it to make a spear

Windcatcher
04-18-2010, 09:58
I carry two knives on the trail; a Victorinox Swiss Army Classic SD that weighs in at 0.75 ounces with blade, tweezers, slotted screwdriver, file, toothpick & scissors and a Gerber Evo Jr., it's a folding blade with a serrated edge for heavier work, but still only weighs in at 2.00 ounces.

10-K
04-18-2010, 12:37
Gerber Shortcut. Less than 3 ozs...

http://www.filofiel.com/tienda/images/gerber_shortcut.jpg

Nearly Normal
04-18-2010, 14:06
a good knife is a fixed blade with holes on one side of blade that can be used to tie a stick to it to make a spear

A stick?:-?

J-Fro
04-18-2010, 14:20
Spyderco Endura. Carry it everywhere I go, had it for about 12 years. Carry it in pocket, has L or R sided clip. Great knife. Highly reccomended!

ShakeyLeggs
04-18-2010, 14:31
Leatherman Micra

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/leathermanstore_2101_5008249

Mountain Wildman
04-18-2010, 14:40
Spyderco Endura. Carry it everywhere I go, had it for about 12 years. Carry it in pocket, has L or R sided clip. Great knife. Highly reccomended!

I had the Spyderco Endura around 1995, It was a new offering from Spyderco and had the pocket clip molded with the handle, Lost it and always missed it, I am happy to see that they added a seperate pocket clip. I am planning to order a new one for my Thru-Hike of the A.T. next year since my every day carry Emerson Super Commander costs so much and I would hate to lose it or chew it up on my Thru.
The Endura with full serrated blade is close to the perfect knife!!!

Wags
04-18-2010, 17:14
frosts mora full tang fixed blade. cheap, light, durable - the backpacking trilogy

mine came w/ a plastic sheath that i put on my shoulder strap on my pack.

gtg
04-18-2010, 17:15
i have been real satisfied with my leatherman juice S2, i tend to leave in my pack a serrated knife that came with a sausage gift pack that works well with food prep. A friend always carries a fishing filet knife thinking some time we will actually catch a fish or game that needs to be filleted it has yet to be used as far as i know. I have in recent years seen people carrying machetes on trails not sure why they need that but i guess what ever they want to do

vamelungeon
04-18-2010, 17:24
Victorinox Swiss Army, forget the model. Carry it all the time, not just hiking. I've carried a pocket knife since I was a child, I can't imagine not carrying one.

bigcranky
04-19-2010, 10:01
... and it's attached to a lanyard with an LED micro light and a whistle.

Yup, me too. Smallest SAK, whistle, mini LED all on a short length of spectra accessory cord. Rides in my little waist pack with my camera and other little odds and ends.

Bearpaw
04-19-2010, 15:19
I've tried lots of knives, but I always come back to Victorinox Swiss Army Knives.

My current favorite is the lock-blade Centurion (http://www.swissarmy.com/MultiTools/Pages/Product.aspx?category=doityourself&product=54824). It has a bigger blade (4 3/8") that is solid for bigger chores like dicing an onion, slicing MRE bread, or other camp chores. It also a offers phillips head screwdriver (useful for tweaking the flicklocks on my trekking poles) and a can opener and bottle opener which I appreciate during town stops. I've only used the tweezers a couple of times, but they were very helpful (tick removal).

Great piece of very functional gear.

Foyt20
04-19-2010, 18:33
i carry a leatherman micra on my keys at all times. Well, all times i am wearing pants :D

daibutsu
04-19-2010, 19:44
Thanks !! Like every one else as a kid, probably, I longed for the Swiss Army type knives, eventually ending with one as big a cell phone. After all these years of outdoors activities I just never really thought about them as that functional. Somehow with P 38, a regular folder, and, well I can't think of what else... a three inch saw, maybe I'll think about keeping one around. I always did like chronograph watches too!!! It sure brings me back!!

aaronthebugbuffet
04-19-2010, 19:58
Swiss Army Classic SD, the smallest knife with a blade, tweezers and scissors. It rides in a pouch on my pack waist belt.

That's all I've ever needed.

OldStormcrow
04-19-2010, 20:18
The Swiss Army Hiker or hunter model. It's the only one that has the three items I really have to have with me.....scissors, saw and corkscrew. If you need a REAL weapon, use the saw attachment and cut down a small tree, then sharpen it into a point....voila, a 9 foot spear!

AmonStone
04-30-2010, 22:53
I carry what might be considered to be too many knives, but realize that I'm more of a camper than a hiker.
I carry a SOG TigerShark fixed blade, a Columbia River M16A model folder, and a Leatherman Supertool.
I've always preferred to overbuy when it comes to cutlery. I want something that's going to be more than I'll ever need, so I tend to go with cutlery that has more of a tactical purpose.
The sheath for my TigerShark is a pretty simple leather affair. Nice thing is, it's lined with plastic, so no worries about the tip pocking thru or going out of shape if it gets wet.
Over the years, I've found the easiest way to carry a larger fixed blade is in the waistband of my pants behind my back.
As you can imagine, the fixed blade is used for heavier chores, the fixed blade for smaller chores and in food prep, and the multitool for everything else.
I dont recall ever running into anything that this combination can't handle.
I know its alot of weight to carry, but I like to be prepared.

Tinker
05-01-2010, 00:21
http://www.campmor.com/victorinox-swiss-army-adventurer.shtml?source=GAN&cm_mmc=GAN-_-Google%20Product%20Listing%20Ads-_-Primary-_-

Big enough blade for anything I need (can even split sticks for kindling).
I carry it in my pocket.
The Phillips screwdriver comes in handy for tightening cross country ski bindings.

Pretty cheap at Campmor right now.

shrimp
05-01-2010, 01:07
I carry a CRKT M16-10kz in my pocket, a small multitool (no-name) on my keys, and keep a gerber 200 in my pack (with my other 'survival' gear). I'd love to add on a Leatherman Wave, but that will be a while, as I still can't afford a $80 knife.

cavediver256
05-01-2010, 01:27
Benchmade 5500 Auto Mini Preisidio and/or SOG Paratool. Of course, neither of them were bought for hiking specifically....I use them nearly everyday.

http://www.benchmade.com/products/5500

http://sogknives.com/store/S31.html

moytoy
05-01-2010, 05:43
leatherman..circa 1983... 5.22 oz...black

STICK
05-02-2010, 00:13
I really like the idea of the Mora's and I will order one eventually and try it out. However, the other day I looked at the Gerber Paraframe and it seemed to be a pretty solid blade. The only thing about it was I had to be sure it locked out when I opened it because the locking mechanism wouldn't slide over very well unless the blade was opened with a little force. I also like that there is a Jr that I can get my son so he has one just like dad. The prices are really nice on the knives as well, considering the quality of them.

MedicineMan
05-02-2010, 01:11
For those who have to carry a knife, look at this one:
http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=CR2380
I'd reckon it to a seriously large razor blade...and perfect weight for a neck knife.

Rocket Jones
05-02-2010, 08:13
The knife in my emergency kit was made from a length of reciprocating saw blade. The handle is wrapped in paracord, the blade is razor sharp and the back of the blade has saw teeth that actually work.

For everyday carry, both on and off trail, I have an old Fisherman SAK.

I'm seriously considering trading in my SAK for a Leatherman Squirt S2 (scissors model) for hiking.

AmonStone
05-02-2010, 14:03
I really like the idea of the Mora's and I will order one eventually and try it out. However, the other day I looked at the Gerber Paraframe and it seemed to be a pretty solid blade. The only thing about it was I had to be sure it locked out when I opened it because the locking mechanism wouldn't slide over very well unless the blade was opened with a little force. I also like that there is a Jr that I can get my son so he has one just like dad. The prices are really nice on the knives as well, considering the quality of them.

If you have a wrench or a screwdriver that fits the pivot screw, loosen it up just a tiny bit. Sometimes this will make it lock up easier.
Don't loosen it too much though, just enough so it locks easier, not so much that the blade gets loose in the frame.

WalksInDark
07-17-2010, 23:16
I have a number of folding knives I use while backpacking. But the best (free) gadget I have found is one of the military recruiting lanyards. The lanyards have a plastic clip off end which is where I attach the knife...then I run the lanyard through one of my belt loops and VOILA! No more knives lost on the trail.

Surplusman
07-18-2010, 04:28
I carry an old first generation Leatherman. I recently bought a Mora with the plastic sheath. A nice inexpensive, lightweight knife. But the Leatherman does a lot more, and so I'll continue carrying that. For camping, I used to have an old Air Force survival knife w/sheath and sharpening stone. But even that seemed to be overkill, so I gave it to somebody who could use it.

JAK
07-18-2010, 06:16
I just carry a Opinel #7 for now.
Someday I might get a decent fixed blade.
This one maybe...
http://www.grohmannknives.com/pages/r2s.html

JAK
07-18-2010, 06:17
but I think I would get it in carbon steel with a flat gind.

jen.sprout
07-18-2010, 16:37
I carry two things:

The teeny-swiss army with the scissors for first aid use. I use it only for the scissors.

My brother-in-law got me a fabulous knife for my birthday - "A.G. Russell 3.0 Titanium lockback folder" - 0.9 oz, sharp as heck and my husband is jealous of it.

Have used baby Gerbers and Spydercos in the past - I'm sticking with the new toy for now.

lou19604
07-26-2010, 02:41
my kid has an 8.00 harbor freight "rambo" survival knife and i have a gerber multi tool

Teeah3612
07-26-2010, 07:45
I carry a 12 buck knife in a leather sheath on my hip. I know it weights too much and is more knife than I need. My dad bought it for me before my section hike and it makes him feel better when my sister and I hike alone.

coyote13
07-26-2010, 08:47
I actually carry two knives.
1 is a Kershaw military boot knife I carry on packstrap handle down for ease of use.
The other is a tiny swiss army folder with scissors,tweezers and small blade that is on lanyard with mini light and truck ighnition key around my neck 24/7/365.
I used to work at Rverrun in Falls village Ct. and after seeing 100's of lost keys in river I started carrying 1 that way.

BigToe
07-26-2010, 13:15
The knife I carried on my first section hike was a Leatherman Wave Multi-Tool, 7.8 ounces. I quickly realized this was way too heavy and too much tool for AT backpacking. After a succession of multi-tools and folders I settled on carrying just a small "Classic" Victorinox Swiss Army knife, .75 ounce. This served me just fine for multiple sections. However after reading a lot of preparedness material and thinking about emergency requirements and not just "typical" needs I have added a Doug Ritter Mini-RSK Mk1 folder, 2.7 ounces, to my gear. A sturdy and reliable knife is the most important survival tool you can carry and I decided I no longer wanted to take the chance of not packing one. The small Swiss Army knife is all you "typically" need but I would not want to depend on it in an emergency situation. The RSK is my EDC (Every Day Carry) and after a lifetime of owning knives I must say is the best knife I've ever owned.

karo
07-26-2010, 13:49
I have carried the same set-up for years now, whether hiking or at work. I have a small Gerber LST with a partial serrated blade. It is on a lanyard which I have clipped on a Leatherman Micra. It is the second Micra I have had, wore out the first one, scirrors are dulled, screwdrivers all worn out and decided to retire it to my vehicle for just in case option. I recently got a Buck 119 special that I carried this weekend while canoeing in TN. It will probably also go with me during hunting season.

Mountain Wildman
07-26-2010, 14:02
Spyderco Endura Fully Serrated - 2.8 ounces
http://images.outdoorpros.com/images/prod/5/Spyderco-C10SBK-rw-8301-3442.jpg

Leatherman Squirt PS4 - 1.9 ounces
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41dXCFpdtIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B0032XZW9G/ref=dp_image_z_0?ie=UTF8&n=228013&s=hi)

One real knife and one itty bitty multi-tool.:sun

Luddite
07-26-2010, 14:30
I carry a Gerber LST. It only weighs .6oz and it has a 1.5" blade.

I never find much use for knives on the trail though.