PDA

View Full Version : A question for you tarp users

STICK
04-17-2010, 16:03
I was reading a survey report over at BPL and this surprised me:

"1. How To Pack Your Tarp

The survey asked two questions related to how users pack their tarps in their backpacks. First, we asked about stuffing, folding and rolling tarps prior to packing. Second we asked if the tarps was placed in the main backpack compartment, separate pack pocket or in a stuff sack or ziplock bag inside the backpack.

By combining the data on these two questions, it becomes clear that the best practice taught on the BPL Wilderness Skills courses (at least, on the one I attended) is absolutely correct – tarp users should stuff their tarps in the main pack area without using a stuff sack. This finding holds true for all tarp material types, and yields a damage rate of about half the average damage rate across all packing methods. Users who insist on using a stuff sack would be well-advised to carefully roll or fold their tarps before placing them in the sack, since stuffing a tarp into a stuff sack yields no benefit in terms of safety – in fact damage rates in the “stuff it in a stuff sack” group were slightly higher than the average across all packing methods. The “fold or roll it into a stuff sack” group yielded protection only slightly worse than the “stuff it loosely in my pack” group.

Which methods were most likely to lead to tarp damage? Surprisingly, the “stuff, fold or roll it into a separate pack pocket” groups were significantly worse than the other groups, implying that this method of packing tarps should be avoided."

So according to this, stuffing my tarp inside my stuff sack and then putting it outside of my pack, say in a pocket, is not good for the tarp and is more at risk of becoming damaged.

Seems to me that it would be fine stuffed inside of the stuff sack. While I don't think that it has been found to be completely true, I have always heard that stuffing is better than rolling. (Of course I think that this is more of a personal issue.)

STICK
04-17-2010, 16:04
Oh, and the article can be found here:

[/URL][URL]http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=31071 (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1001696#post1001696)

Bags4266
04-17-2010, 16:15
Well I'm sort of a neat freak. I like things in order. Same goes w/ my TT Contrail, stuff it or roll it? I roll it neatly.
The way I look at it is before this tarp or tent breaks down I probally won't be owning it by then. I would have moved on to an updated version of some type.

russb
04-17-2010, 16:21
I don't buy it. I all my years I have yet to have any type of damage to a tent or tarp due to the way it was stuffed/rolled/folded. Any and all damage occurred when the tent/tarp was not packed at all.

brooklynkayak
04-17-2010, 22:37
I don't buy it. I all my years I have yet to have any type of damage to a tent or tarp due to the way it was stuffed/rolled/folded. Any and all damage occurred when the tent/tarp was not packed at all.

Ditto, my experience as well. The damage was always done outside of the pack, falling branches and other extraneous stuff.

But, I am a slob.

WalkingStick75
04-17-2010, 22:46
If the weather is nice I fold and roll, if it is raining my tarp is the last to be packed so I can stay protected until I am ready to hike. When it comes down it is shaken and stuffed any which way into an outside mesh pocket, my pack cover goes on and I start hiking.

WILLIAM HAYES
04-17-2010, 23:17
half a dozen of one six of the other -never had any damage either way

butts0989
04-17-2010, 23:19
my stuffsack isnt too small so it doesnt compress the tarp all that much, i would find it hard to believe that i would be hurting it by doing this. When mine is wet, i simply just stuff it into the back mesh pocket of my pack to dry out.

Lyle
04-17-2010, 23:47
I think this survey was fatally flawed.

1) You surveyed BPL subscribers about their practices

2) You stated that this survey supported what BPL courses teach.

Duhhhh!

The people you surveyed are either those who taught the course, those who took the course, or at least those who have been influenced by the first two groups through posts on the forum.

I really can't buy this theory about "best practice" based on my many years of backpacking.

But to each their own - do whatever you think works.

lunchbx
04-18-2010, 00:32
I stuff my mid weight silnylon in the outside right side pocket of my pack, basically the complete opposite of what ur saying the article says. why would you want ur wet tarp in the midst of ur most preciouse cargo like sleeping bag, something that must stay as dry as possible. food, possibly electronics. plus when it starts raining i like to set up the tarp first, then have the luxury of being able to open the contents of my pack with nothing getting rained on. Sometimes when ur hiking and it raining u just wanna set the tarp up, take off ur rain gear, and just relax knowing ur not currently being rained on anymore.

jesse
04-18-2010, 02:46
Tarp gets stuffed into an oversized stuff sack. Stuff sack goes in an outside mesh pocket so I can get it out and set up in the rain. Sometimes I pack it wet in the morning. this way it doesn't get everything else wet/

Panzer1
04-18-2010, 14:21

yea, I agree with this post.

All of my damage has been from simply "wearing out" after many years of use on the trail. It seems obvious that a stuff sack would protect the gear, not damage it.

It sounds like something an ultra lighter would say.

Panzer

garlic08
04-18-2010, 16:37
I also doubt it really matters either way. I suppose if you put a sharp crease in the fabric and folded it in exactly the same place every time, there might be an effect, but not normally. I've never seen any damage based on how gear was packed.

Egads
04-18-2010, 17:11
not a significant difference either way. I stuff mine & carry inside when dry, stuff it in the front mesh pocket when wet.

JRiker
04-18-2010, 19:11
ditto to egads. inside stuffed when dry, stuffed in mesh on outside when wet.

Mags
04-18-2010, 19:36
As other said, it probably doesn't matter one way or another. Roll it, stuff it, fold it..use a stuff sack..don't.

I have great respect for the folks over at BPL as they come up with some good info..but sometimes it becomes something out of my Catholic school education..namely:

"How many hiking angels can fit on the head of titanium tent stake?"

:sun

FWIW, among my outdoor friends (be they thru-hikers, climbers, rive rats, etc etc) some of us roll our shelters, some fold, some stuff...and for some reason all of us still are alive and enjoying the outdoors. ;)

STICK
04-18-2010, 20:00
I agree with you, while I am not a paying member @ BPL I enjoy going to the site and there is lots of good info. The thing that drew my attention to this is because it involves tarps and I am still very new to tarps. It did cause a little confusion though. Just wanted to see what others comments regarding this was.

As other said, it probably doesn't matter one way or another. Roll it, stuff it, fold it..use a stuff sack..don't.

I have great respect for the folks over at BPL as they come up with some good info..but sometimes it becomes something out of my Catholic school education..namely:

"How many hiking angels can fit on the head of titanium tent stake?"

:sun

FWIW, among my outdoor friends (be they thru-hikers, climbers, rive rats, etc etc) some of us roll our shelters, some fold, some stuff...and for some reason all of us still are alive and enjoying the outdoors. ;)

Tinker
04-18-2010, 22:34
If the weather is nice I fold and roll, if it is raining my tarp is the last to be packed so I can stay protected until I am ready to hike. When it comes down it is shaken and stuffed any which way into an outside mesh pocket, my pack cover goes on and I start hiking.

Ditto for the tarps I use with my hammock.

gtg
04-19-2010, 08:34
for me it is one of the last things to go in loosely on my outer pocket. If it is wet it doesnt get everything else wet. If i want it quickly for set up in rain its right there. Not sure if it is right or wrong just know it works for me

Wise Old Owl
04-19-2010, 08:51
interesting read.... I like Egads post. And chances are my tarp will last the rest of my life and I can always spray more water treatment if it leaks.

AmonStone
04-30-2010, 23:04
I dont use a tarp. A few years ago I got my hands on a huge piece of heavy-duty rubber that's normally used for roofs.
I use a hammock. So what I did is cut myself a piece large enough to go under the hammock, up one side, and then down the other. I added a couple of grommets and I had myself a heavy-duty cover-up for my hammock.
Since the rubber is pretty flexible, I fold it up, put it inside the hammock, roll that into my sleeping bag, and strap it to my backpack.
Not very hitech looking, but it gets the job done.