PDA

View Full Version : What is your hiking "status"

WalkingStick75
04-17-2010, 22:37
I have seen a lot in these threads and have come to realize that not everybody here is a hiker some might be future hikers some use to hike and some will never hike with a few choices in between..

Where are you in this hiker scale?

jesse
04-18-2010, 02:49
I don't get this poll.

Roland
04-18-2010, 02:57
I really don't care how frequently others hike. Nor do I feel a need to post trail reports of my hikes, to validate my accomplishments.

I hike for my own satisfaction/enjoyment, not to impress anyone else.

WalkingStick75
04-18-2010, 08:35
Jesse - Your participation is appreciated even when you do not understand.

Roland - Never felt the need to validate anything either and have never posed a trip report but like those that take the time to do so because it gives me ideas for future trips.

Egads
04-18-2010, 08:37
No weekend or vacation hiker category?

Windcatcher
04-18-2010, 08:46
I'm with Egads, I hike three or four times a year on weekends & vacation. Didn't really see a category for that level of involvement. Of course, I am a future hiker, will be out there again. I am a day hiker at times as well as being a multi-day backpacker. I certainly don't hike as frequently as I'd like; too busy making a living - hmm, need to think about that...What's to making a living if I'm not out hiking?

Jonnycat
04-18-2010, 08:47
Hiking? I do that every week.

Backpacking? I do that a few to a half-dozen times a year, and am looking forward to a nice long section hike later in the year.

warraghiyagey
04-18-2010, 09:39
I don't get this poll.

I really don't care how frequently others hike. Nor do I feel a need to post trail reports of my hikes, to validate my accomplishments.

I hike for my own satisfaction/enjoyment, not to impress anyone else.
Ditto. . .

WalkingStick75
04-18-2010, 09:51
I don't see a way to edit the poll..... I think people try to make things more complicated than necessary. So here are some guidelines for the OCD.... :)

Future hiker - Youth individuals who have dreams of hiking but cant right now.
Day hiker - This is all I do, no overnight backpacking
Frequent hiker - Day hikes and backpacks may be on weekends or during vacation time
I use to hike - Maybe it is a medical problem or whatever reason
Never hike - You never hike but frequent WB because you want to
I'm a troll - This was intended as humor

Egads
04-18-2010, 09:56
What category do the virtual or cyber hikers check?

Feral Bill
04-18-2010, 12:29
How about us occasional hikers?

Incidently, the New Yorker has a related cartoon this week.

warraghiyagey
04-18-2010, 12:34
How about us occasional hikers?

Incidently, the New Yorker has a related cartoon this week.
http://www.technologyinvestor.com/images/InternetCarton.gif

Nearly Normal
04-18-2010, 12:48
"Parameter: A quantity to which the operator may asign arbitrary valves, as distinguished from a variable, which can assume only those values that the form of the function makes possible."

You left some out.

warraghiyagey
04-18-2010, 12:53
"parameter: A quantity to which the operator may asign arbitrary valves, as distinguished from a variable, which can assume only those values that the form of the function makes possible."

you left some out.
:d:d . . . . . . . .

gregp
04-18-2010, 12:55
I dislike categorizing myself.

Mags
04-18-2010, 19:07
I just finished a hike today. My status is hungry and sweaty. I have dinner going. The shower can wait. :sun

Feral Bill
04-18-2010, 19:45
http://www.technologyinvestor.com/images/InternetCarton.gif Not the one.

David@whiteblaze
04-18-2010, 20:52
I live too far from mountains to be a day-hiker.

Tinker
04-18-2010, 21:24
I have seen a lot in these threads and have come to realize that not everybody here is a hiker some might be future hikers some use to hike and some will never hike with a few choices in between..

Since this is a website for AT enthusiasts, I'd have to say that the poll is right in line with what I expected. It's hard to be enthusiastic about something you don't do, but possible to be enthusiastic about doing something new (in this case, hiking) in the future.
It's nice that we have forums about other trails, since all of our "Whiteblazers" are not exclusively AT hikers.

sheepdog
04-18-2010, 21:50
hiking is hard work and makes you late for supper

RGB
04-18-2010, 23:06
You have to pay the troll toll!

Ox97GaMe
04-19-2010, 00:32
Im not too suprised with the results of this poll so far. I know for a fact that there a lot of folks on here that dont do much hiking, but want folks to see them as some sort of 'expert'. They arent likely to admit on this poll that they are a troll or hike infrequently (or never) or are a want to be hiker.

As for me, my signature says it all. I am in the park a LOT. Many of the folks on Whiteblaze have met me out and about somewhere near the trails. I am also pretty familiar with the 'regular' hikers out on the AT and some of the other trails around the SE. Im also familiar enough with those trails to know when someone is talking through their ars about it.

The world would be a great place to live if there was a B.S. meter that we all could use to identify the folks who really know what they are talking about and those that wish they knew half as much as they proclaim to know.

yes, Im open for pot shots. Take your best shots at me posers of the world. My favorite is the guy from California that constantly harasses me with PM about my postings about the Smokies. :-P

RGB
04-19-2010, 03:45
Why do you need a BS meter? Let everyone talk out of whatever orifice of their choosing. It all comes full circle, anyway.

WalkingStick75
04-19-2010, 10:39
Why do you need a BS meter? Let everyone talk out of whatever orifice of their choosing. It all comes full circle, anyway.

Over 600 views so far and 78 responses says it all. :eek: Not really intended as a "serious" poll. I actually expected most to just check troll :banana just a little fun.

twosticks
04-19-2010, 11:14
I just finished a hike today. My status is hungry and sweaty. I have dinner going. The shower can wait. :sun

Mags,
Off topic question for you, since I remember you being an ex-rhode island person. Have you ever been hiking on Block Island? Is it worth the hassle?

Anyone else for that matter?

Mags
04-19-2010, 19:49
Mags,
Off topic question for you, since I remember you being an ex-rhode island person. Have you ever been hiking on Block Island? Is it worth the hassle?

Anyone else for that matter?

I have not been to Block Island since 1997..almost the beginning of my hiking "career".

However, from what I remember, Block Island is NOT a hiking destination. It is however a wonderful place to rent a bike, explore some secluded beaches and enjoy an iconic lighthouse overlooking some equally iconic cliffs.

Take the ferry from Pt. Judith (http://www.blockislandferry.com/schedpj2010.htm) and enjoy the early morning ride in the open ocean. Rent a bike and go along the rolling hills, smelling the fresh salt air and stroll on the quiet beaches (plenty of places to stash a bike). BI is a lot less touristy than Nantucket.

Have the lunch you packed ..perhaps near Mohegan Bluffs. (http://seagrant.gso.uri.edu/daytrip/block_island.html)

http://z.about.com/d/gonewengland/1/0/F/s/blockisland12.jpg

Take the last Ferry ride home. Just in time to get some clam cakes, chowdah, and stuffies from the take-out window at George's of Galilee. (http://www.georgesofgalilee.com/) Sit on the rocks by the calm bay and take in the cool night air.

It is perhaps the best place in Rhody ...and one I plan on sharing in June. :)

If you want 'hiking' in Rhode Island, there is the Cliff Walk (http://www.cliffwalk.com/) along the ocean (and late 1800s mansions..owned by such people as the Vanderbilts and the Rockerfellers. The Great Gatsby was also filmed at Rosecliff Mansion)

If you want to do a 'long' trail in RI, check out the NST. (http://www.outdoors.htmlplanet.com/nst/nst_map00.htm)

twosticks
04-20-2010, 08:14
Thanks for the good info. I will have to check it out.

brotheral
04-20-2010, 08:26
:confused:

I did a fair amount of backpacking between 1998 and 2003. Got away from it for awhile but continued to car camp and day hike. Now I'm getting back into the backpacking....No B.S. :banana

sbhikes
04-20-2010, 08:57
I hike all the time. Almost every weekend. Sometimes during the week. I can go for a trail run running out my front door and aiming toward the mountains. I try to go backpacking as much as possible in the early Spring and late Fall since those are the hiking seasons where I live. I did do a nice one in January where it was surprisingly warm, though. I have never hiked the AT except I did a hike to Blood Mountain once when visiting Georgia. I've hiked the PCT in two sections. I was there last weekend dayhiking, trail running and camping, but not exactly backpacking. I was seeing my boyfriend off on his 700 mile section.

I also walk to work every day and if the weather is bad or I don't feel like going to the mountains, I do urban hikes. There is no excuse not to hike if that's what you are interested in.

TOW
04-20-2010, 09:00

Where are you in this hiker scale?How about adding "I use to hike frequently but now I do it occasionally?"

Blue Jay
04-20-2010, 17:38
I've finally found out where all the Trolls on here have come from. Smoky Mountain Trolls in Cosby 800-951-2537 or trolls.com

Cookerhiker
04-20-2010, 17:53
I'm an hour from some decent hiking (Red River Gorge, Natural Bridge SP, Sheltowee Trace) and could hike more often than I do. I'm doing some volunteer work on the Sheltowee. In the last 2-3 years, bicycling has become a close second to hiking. I've done several overnight (with camping) cycling trips.

But every year since '05 when I finished the AT, I've done at least 1 or 2 backpack trips in addition to day hikes. The longest since '05 will hopefully occur in May-June when I thruhike the Allegheny Trail (http://wvscenictrails.org/AlleghenyTrailOverview.aspx).

I'm about 4 hours from the AT, the farthest I've ever lived from it.:(

Connie
04-20-2010, 18:40
trolls.com?

The many "views" could be guest lurkers?

Nevermind, they can't vote in a poll, or, can a guest vote?

Wait. Why would a "troll" say they are a troll, except Attroll.

Is this a serious poll, or, a silly poll?

Oh, to answer the question about right now: Oregon Coast Dayhikes book.

To better experience Oregon, I am doing one REI book at a time.

Footslogger
04-22-2010, 11:03
There wasn't a category for me to check ...but here's my "status"

I'm a former thru-hiker (AT 2003)

Had a heart attack in 2008 from which I am bouncing back but still have residual heart muscle damage and decreased cardiac output.

I am now past the 2 year post heart attack point and with the exception of reduced exercise tolerance I am starting to believe I can get back out there.

'Slogger