PDA

View Full Version : Sleep system.

DocHolliday
04-18-2010, 11:10
Has anyone ever considered using an ultra light summer bag like the Marmot Atom or SS 7 (weighing in at around a pound) and then carrying a one-pound quilt as well?

I would imagine this would give you the proper insulation (if not more) and would also allow for more versatility in hotter weather.

Has anyone tried it before?

Wise Old Owl
04-18-2010, 11:21
Yes, but with a twist....

In some of the older UL hiking books they talk about an Elephants Foot bag. A 1pound bag that pulls up around the waist, then i figured out a full 1lbs. bag with a 1lb down jacket occomplishes the same thing and has no restriction on the arms. A fleese hat completes the night.

Roland
04-18-2010, 11:23
No, I haven't tried exactly what you described, but I've done something similar.

In the 70s, EMS sold a double-bag combination. The full-zip inner bag was great for summer use. The hooded, full-zip outer bag was ideal for spring and fall. Together, they kept me warm in temperatures well below zero.

Advantages: Using two bags, separately or in combination, was like owning three bags. So there was a cost savings.

Disadvantages: Weight. Carrying both bags was heavier than carrying a single winter bag with equivalent loft.