PDA

View Full Version : november weather?

karl
10-18-2004, 01:48
During the first week of Nov. I intend to hike from Sam's Gap TN/NC to 19E past Roan Mt. TN/NC.I am not sure what extremes in weather conditions are possible.Should I pack crampons just in case?I don't know.I was hoping maybe some of you Eastman hikers or someone else from the area might enlighten me.
Thanks

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Morning Glory
10-18-2004, 11:27
During the first week of Nov. I intend to hike from Sam's Gap TN/NC to 19E past Roan Mt. TN/NC.I am not sure what extremes in weather conditions are possible.Should I pack crampons just in case?I don't know.I was hoping maybe some of you Eastman hikers or someone else from the area might enlighten me.
Thanks

I wouldn't pack the crampons. You may run into some flurries, but not much more. January would be another story. You can plan on days in the upper 40's, low 50's and nights in the 20's and 30's. BTW...I live in that area, and have hiked here in November..never had snow...yet.

chris
10-18-2004, 13:10
In the Smokys (not far away, higher average elevation), the first week of November could be nasty, but doable. When I hike in the Smokys in that time span, I would bring my 20 F bag, thermals, two gloves (liners for hiking, heavier for around camp), insulated pullover, hat, earband (for hiking in), insulated pullover (only my down jacket if it looks really cold), etc. I would expect temps in the low 40s while hiking and in the 20s at night. However, I've also done trips in the Smokys when it was in the 60s in November during the day. Other trips where it didn't break freezing during the day. Be prepared.

TREE-HUGGER
10-18-2004, 16:00
Last year in Mid Nov on that section on a six day hike we started out with 70 during the day and 50 at night and the last three nights were 18-20 with 35-40 during the day. The kicker was that we had a constant 40 mile per hour wind and killer gusts for a solid 48 hours. It was a big cold front that came through. This weekend we did a 3 day in Grayson Highlands just north of the section your talking about and had 34 degs daytime 25 deg lows with rain sleet and snow, and yes, a steady 30 mph wind for two days. You should have a good hike, just be prepared for it to drop at any second. Life in the mountains is a like a box of choclates:)

trippclark
10-18-2004, 17:23
In 2002 I did a weekend section between Carver's Gap and Dennis Cove Road starting on October 31. It was incredibly warm . . . in the 70's in the day and 40's at night. As I recall, Bob Peeples at Kincora said that it was about 15 degrees above average that weekend.

smokymtnsteve
10-18-2004, 17:27
it kin git relly cold dat tima year,,,

I would be prepared for 10 degrees if not zero.

orangebug
10-18-2004, 17:27
I hope it does that again this year. In four weeks, I'm starting in Damascus and working down to Erwin and Sam's Gap. I'll have finished GA, NC, TN, NJ and most of NY!

I'm planning on hanging in a Speer PeaPod for shelter. I've got my balacava and fleeces ready to go. Now if only I can figure out how to keep my food weight reasonable this trip.

Lilred
10-18-2004, 17:34
Last year in Mid Nov on that section on a six day hike we started out with 70 during the day and 50 at night and the last three nights were 18-20 with 35-40 during the day. The kicker was that we had a constant 40 mile per hour wind and killer gusts for a solid 48 hours. It was a big cold front that came through. This weekend we did a 3 day in Grayson Highlands just north of the section your talking about and had 34 degs daytime 25 deg lows with rain sleet and snow, and yes, a steady 30 mph wind for two days. You should have a good hike, just be prepared for it to drop at any second. Life in the mountains is a like a box of choclates:)

We must have been out at the same time. I hiked from Neel's Gap to Deep Gap, N.C. Started out gorgeous. My last day hiking, I woke to freezing temps, my washrag frozen hard as a rock. The wind was unmerciful. Lots of blowdowns. That was my first backpacking trip and it was Great!! Heading out this weekend to pick up at Deep Gap and head to Hwy 64. Be prepared for very cold weather, but I think you can leave the crampons at home.

TakeABreak
10-18-2004, 22:22
KArl,
Every year the weather is different, while living near Franklin, NC from 99 - 01 I saw two mild falls and one where it got cold in Octber and stayed that way through the Following april.

Although I would not expect February type weather in early November, I would be watching the weather patterns, and definitely have a warm sleeping Bag ( I rarely use less than +15 rated bag and I am a warm sleeper) and have winter clothing just in case.

The best bet since you have a little time before you go, is to contact the Tennessee Eastman Club, they could tell you what the average weather patterns are like, also try the at website they have links for traditional weather patterns.

Last, temperature drops 3.6 degrees (f) for every 1,000 foot of elevation gain, if you see it going to get really cold one night, look at your map and try to find a low elevation site to camp at. A 3,000 foot elevation drop, would be 10.8 degrees(f) warmer.

Check out this link www.appalachiantrail.org/hike/plan/temp.html (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hike/plan/temp.html)

There is a lot of interesting links available through the ATC, when you open up their (our, I'm a life member) main page, go to hike the trail. there lots of blue highlited links to click on, they can be really hlepful as the ones here are.

thestin
10-19-2004, 00:13
Be careful using the 3.6 degrees for every thousand feet rule, especially at night. Cold air is heavy and flows downhill. On a clear night with light winds, it can actually be colder by sunrise in the valley than on surrounding mountaintops. Things like temperature inversions can also make a big difference.