PDA

View Full Version : Trail runners

10-K
04-18-2010, 12:33
Went on a dual purpose shakedown hike this weekend to try out:

a) Yeti

b) Trail runners

I'll get to the Yeti later, but let me just say this: Boots out, trail runners in. Switching from boots to trail runners is probably one of the best improvements I've made to my hiking experience.

As much as I run, you'd think I'd figured this out long ago... I didn't try it because I was worried about my ankles and feet. Then it dawned on me that I've been running 30-50 miles a week for the past 6 years and my ankles/feet/legs are probably more than capable to hike in trail runners.

Ordered the trail runner version of my running shoe (Brooks Adreneline ASR) and ain't looking back.

John B
04-18-2010, 13:14
What is the trail runner version of the Adreneline (that's the running shoe that I use, too)? Did you go up 1/2 size on the trail runner to accomodate thicker socks or did you keep the same size? 30-50 miles is a huge variance -- I'm assuming that the upper end is when prepping for a race?

10-K
04-18-2010, 16:30
What is the trail runner version of the Adreneline (that's the running shoe that I use, too)? Did you go up 1/2 size on the trail runner to accomodate thicker socks or did you keep the same size? 30-50 miles is a huge variance -- I'm assuming that the upper end is when prepping for a race?

The latest adreniline trail runner is the ASR #6, which came out at the same time as the GTS #10 a few months ago.

I didn't go up a half size, but probably should have. I wore liner socks on this hike and didn't have any problems though.

About the mileage, I run in approximate cycles, 30 miles, 40 miles, 50 miles then repeat. I track mileage with a Garmin 205. Since I've been hiking so much the last 2 years I've not kept this schedule as religiously as I did before I started hiking but it's what I aim for.

I keep my running fitness at a level where I can run a half marathon any time, without training. Not race or set a personal best - just be able to start and finish running the entire way with relative ease.

Spokes
04-18-2010, 19:14
............... and the yeti story?

drdewrag
04-18-2010, 19:16
I hike in trail runners as well... Wouldn't dare don a pair of boots

Wags
04-18-2010, 23:50
i wear boots to work when i have to use a shovel...

Gladiator
04-19-2010, 00:28
Love my TNF Ultra 104's! I seldom hike in anything else.

Rick500
04-19-2010, 10:19
I've tried four different trail runners trying to find what fits my foot best:

New Balance 572 (the trail runners, not the walking shoes...don't know why they gave two shoes the same model number), La Sportiva FC 1.1, Salomon Exit Aero, and Vasque Aether Tech SS.

Found that the Salomon fits my foot best, and the Vasque will work fine too. None of them had great insoles, however (although the La Sportiva insoles weren't bad). If I could get the Salomons with the Vasque's Boa laces it'd be perfect.

Anyway, I'm rambling, but my point is there are a lot of different trail runners with different fits, but IMO it's well worth it to try several and find your fit.

10-K
04-19-2010, 10:22
Anyway, I'm rambling, but my point is there are a lot of different trail runners with different fits, but IMO it's well worth it to try several and find your fit.

If you're a runner, first thing I'd do is see if the company that makes your running shoe makes a trail runner. I was very fortunate that there is actually a trail running version of my actual running shoe. Perfect, perfect fit.