PDA

View Full Version : Spoon and Fork...

Tuckahoe
04-18-2010, 20:58
...or my cool find from the weekend.

Yeah its just a fork and spoon -- actually a reproduction WW1 era German army folding spoon and fork. I was at an event this weekend and this caught my eye simply because it is light weight (weighs less than an ounce) and folding. It is 6 inches folded and 9 inches opened. This is replacing the Sea to Summit spoon that is in my kit.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb77/Tuckahoe64/spoon002.jpg
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb77/Tuckahoe64/spoon001.jpg

Tinker
04-18-2010, 21:30
If it's from China have it checked for heavy metals content............
(It's just that there's a history there - not for everything, for sure, but, maybe because I'm a little skeptical that the Chinese government is concerned about little more than profit, and that they probably don't have any way to enforce FDA-type regulations - it's a big, fast growing industrial power).

SGT Rock
04-18-2010, 21:37
Look at one of those light my fire sporks. Same thing except food grade plastic so lighter.

That said, I don't use them myself anymore.

Tinker
04-18-2010, 21:44
Btw: where exactly did you find that spoon/fork combo? It would be nice if you could post a link. :)

Tuckahoe
04-18-2010, 21:54
Like I said I picked it up at an event this past weekend and I dont recall the particular vendor. However, they are fairly common with vendors that specialize in German militaria -- http://www.atthefront.com/german/personalitems/messkititems.html

Scroll down about half way. I paid $7 mine. I wasnt really shopping for backpacking gear at a WW1 event... why would I? But some friends were purchasing lighters and I noticed the spoon/fork, especially how light weight -- same weight as my plastic spoon. So I bought it.

Tinker
04-18-2010, 22:03
The Sarge suggested that you take another look at your Light my Fire Spork. I took a look at his gear list for his attempted Thru a couple of years ago and it turns out that he broke his at 20 degrees F. - said it died of "hypothermia". That's why (besides possibly getting stepped on or broken in the pack somehow) I don't use "plasticware". High or low tech, no matter what the material says it is, it gets brittle in the cold.

Spokes
04-18-2010, 22:04
It'll be a sure conversation starter.

I don't ever recall actually ever using a fork while on the trail. Now at the AYCE's , that's a different story.

Anyone else?

Tinker
04-18-2010, 22:16
It'll be a sure conversation starter.

I don't ever recall actually ever using a fork while on the trail. Now at the AYCE's , that's a different story.

Anyone else?

I haven't seen any seasoned hikers on the trail with an actual fork, though I've seen a number of "sporks" which don't function very well at all as a fork. I have a spork which can't handle anything a fork normally can, and doesn't clean the corners of my pots or occasional freeze-dried pouches very efficiently. I finally bough a long handled ti spoon at REI which I like except for packability.
Metal implements can be boiled out repeatedly to clean them. I don't know if that can be done with the Lexan and other plastic implements. Plus, plastic tends to scratch, and the scratches can be very hard to clean.

I'd like to see the item above reproduced in titanium. I bet the makers couldn't keep them in stock. I KNOW I would buy one (if the cost isn't too ridiculous).

Spokes
04-18-2010, 22:35
I started the trail last year only carrying the typical plastic hiker spoon and quickly discovered they were no match at attacking frozen ice cream so I ended up getting a titanium spoon for just that all important task.

Ahhh, heaven.......

SGT Rock
04-18-2010, 22:41
All I ever need is a spoon. I've got a standard plastic one that has lasted a long long time.

jesse
04-18-2010, 23:58
All I ever need is a spoon. I've got a standard plastic one that has lasted a long long time.

Exactly. If you need a knife; use your pocket knife. If you need a fork; use your fingers.

Panzer1
04-19-2010, 00:53

Not me, I have a lexan knife, fork and spoon. I like to eat good on the trail and I like to have all my utensils.

Panzer

Wags
04-20-2010, 15:38
I've seen a number of "sporks" which don't function very well at all as a fork.

i disagree completely with this statement. my gsi pirahna foon is a much better option than a regular spoon. i've tried meals both ways (freezer bag style)

SGT Rock
04-20-2010, 15:41
If I need a fork I use my fingers.

Mountain Wildman
04-20-2010, 16:31
Bought the Light My Fire Titanium Spork, Not the cheapest option but it won't break and only weighs 17 Grams.
http://www.trailjournals.com/images/gear/tjgear_10077_022010_40791.jpg

Mountain Wildman
04-20-2010, 16:31
Man that copied large, Hate when that happens!!!

mkmangold
04-20-2010, 18:08
Bought the Light My Fire Titanium Spork, Not the cheapest option but it won't break and only weighs 17 Grams.
http://www.trailjournals.com/images/gear/tjgear_10077_022010_40791.jpg

Just wanted to see that again.

Hikes in Rain
04-20-2010, 18:10
Is that life sized?

Hikingsasquatch
04-20-2010, 18:35
I'm considering just using my fingers. No additional weight and laden with immune-boosting bacteria!

Mountain Wildman
04-20-2010, 19:30
Is that life sized?

Not life size, 6 3/4" long, 1 1/2" at widest point on the spoon.

Hikes in Rain
04-20-2010, 19:38
I was just kidding about the huge picture. :)

Really, though, that's a pretty neat little find. If you don't lose it somewhere, it should last forever! Who knows, some decade later, someone might find it in a flea market and show it to WhiteBlazers two generations down the line.

Footslogger
04-22-2010, 11:00
Honestly ...you only need the spoon. True the fork would come in handy now and then but it's not necessary. Plus, if you carry the fork it will get dirty and require cleaning. It's not so much about the weight ...it's just one more thing to deal with and one more thing to get lost.

Just my thoughts ...

'Slogger

Spokes
04-22-2010, 11:08
Man that copied large, Hate when that happens!!!

YEEHAW!!!!!!!!

That over-sized titanium spork looks like a freakin' machete- You could whack down banana trees with that thing............. COOL!!

Mountain Wildman
04-22-2010, 11:48
YEEHAW!!!!!!!!

That over-sized titanium spork looks like a freakin' machete- You could whack down banana trees with that thing............. COOL!!

Now you did it!!
The secret is out.

Tuckahoe
04-22-2010, 16:19
Well for some entertainment value, here are a couple clips from the 1930 All Quiet on the Western Front with this particular spoon/fork combo in action --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77b6LKP7jW0&feature=related forward to about 10:10 to see it in action and then the beginning of this clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu7h4vPpyOQ&feature=related.

And for all those that say you dont need a fork, Tjaden certinaly gets a bit of use out of his.:D

Hikes in Rain
04-22-2010, 20:01
Sure enough. Nice find, Tuckahoe, thanks a lot!