PDA

View Full Version : Info re: Lehigh Gap to DWG

dperry
04-18-2010, 23:04
Hello, All,

So our first planned section on the AT this year is from Lehigh Gap to Delaware Water Gap. We'll do it as a combination of day hikes and weekend backpacking as follows:

1.) Fox Gap to Wind Gap--1 day, mid May
2.) Little Gap to Wind Gap--3 days, Memorial Day weekend, itinerary:
Day 1--Little Gap to Delps Trail/Stempa's Spring--4.8-5.6 miles (see below)
Day 2--Delps/Stempa's--Leroy Smith Shelter--5.4-6 miles
Day 3--Smith Shelter--Wind Gap--4.6 miles
3.) Little Gap to Lehigh Gap--1 day, late June, maybe?
4.) Fox Gap to DWG--1 day, probably September.

My primary concern for information is about the camping trip, obviously. The biggest question I have is, are there any good and legal camping sites in the Delps Trail/Stempa's Spring area? My original plan was to stop at Delps, but I note on the water discussions the past couple years that the spring there is not reliable these days, so it might be better to make for Stempa's. I also note on the map that if you go all the way down to the parking lot on Delps trail, there is another spring marked there. Is this Stempa's Spring, or something completely different?

I'm also curious as to what Wolf Rocks is like, and whether it's really as hard to follow the trail there as the guidebook makes it sound. Any other helpful advice, warnings, recommendations, don't misses, etc., would be greatly appreciated.

And before anyone says it: yes, we know, the weekend plan is not high-mileage. Trust us, we need to start slow. :)

Thanks to all in advance!

MedicineMan
04-19-2010, 06:43
you won't have any trouble following the trail anywhere in PA, esp. at Wolfe Rocks...but speaking of rocks, the rock garden south of Wolfe Rocks you will never never ever forget :)

BAG "o" TRICKS
04-19-2010, 09:43
you won't have any trouble following the trail anywhere in PA, esp. at Wolfe Rocks...but speaking of rocks, the rock garden south of Wolfe Rocks you will never never ever forget :)

Amen brother.

BAG "o" TRICKS
04-19-2010, 10:02
Hello, All,

So our first planned section on the AT this year is from Lehigh Gap to Delaware Water Gap. We'll do it as a combination of day hikes and weekend backpacking as follows:

1.) Fox Gap to Wind Gap--1 day, mid May
2.) Little Gap to Wind Gap--3 days, Memorial Day weekend, itinerary:
Day 1--Little Gap to Delps Trail/Stempa's Spring--4.8-5.6 miles (see below)
Day 2--Delps/Stempa's--Leroy Smith Shelter--5.4-6 miles
Day 3--Smith Shelter--Wind Gap--4.6 miles
3.) Little Gap to Lehigh Gap--1 day, late June, maybe?
4.) Fox Gap to DWG--1 day, probably September.

My primary concern for information is about the camping trip, obviously. The biggest question I have is, are there any good and legal camping sites in the Delps Trail/Stempa's Spring area? My original plan was to stop at Delps, but I note on the water discussions the past couple years that the spring there is not reliable these days, so it might be better to make for Stempa's. I also note on the map that if you go all the way down to the parking lot on Delps trail, there is another spring marked there. Is this Stempa's Spring, or something completely different?

I'm also curious as to what Wolf Rocks is like, and whether it's really as hard to follow the trail there as the guidebook makes it sound. Any other helpful advice, warnings, recommendations, don't misses, etc., would be greatly appreciated.

And before anyone says it: yes, we know, the weekend plan is not high-mileage. Trust us, we need to start slow. :)

Thanks to all in advance!

You can camp pretty much anywhere you find a suitable spot just off the trail but I'm not aware of any so called 'legal sites', except the shelters.
How many in your group? I wouldn't go above 10. Scout groups and 'hoods in the woods' are usually active in the area during the summer months but they usually 'inconsiderately' take over the shelters. Plan on bringing plenty of water as this is a very dry section on AT in PA during summer months. Enjoy the bugs and watch out for the bears during the blueberry season, and oh yea, have fun in the rock gardens.

DGG
04-19-2010, 19:38
Right where the Delps trail comes up to the AT you'll see a large space under the trees that campers have been using for some time. There is probably room for 4-5 people, maybe more.

The last I heard, the Delps spring had plenty of water. But if we have a long dry spell, that could change. I believe there's a guy who lives down Smith Gap Road (on the north side) who offers water to hikers. Check one of the books for that info. (Does he call himself "Mechanical Man"?)

Don't worry about the rocks. They are overrated.

Have a great hike!

wystiria
04-20-2010, 13:41
We will be just south of you Memorial Day weekend - and continuing to the DWG the following week. Anyway - take a look at your maps and learn where you can and can't camp. Most of PA there are fantastic "stealth" sites practically on the trail. One of the land owners (I forget which) only allows camping very close to the trail for point to point hikers (they call them through hikers) and so there are numerous little sites.

Like you I am watching the water reports - we always carry an extra bladder so we can fill up if necessary and carry water to our site.

emerald
04-20-2010, 13:55
PGC permits camping by through hikers only on State Game Lands (SGL) no more than 200 feet of the A.T. 500 feet or more from public access areas and surface water.

Obtaining water usually isn't a problem until summer. The most current information about natural and developed water sources can be had by asking hikers traveling in the opposite direction.

~Ronin~
04-20-2010, 14:00
We will be just south of you Memorial Day weekend - and continuing to the DWG the following week. Anyway - take a look at your maps and learn where you can and can't camp. Most of PA there are fantastic "stealth" sites practically on the trail. One of the land owners (I forget which) only allows camping very close to the trail for point to point hikers (they call them through hikers) and so there are numerous little sites.

Like you I am watching the water reports - we always carry an extra bladder so we can fill up if necessary and carry water to our site.

I believe the land ownership you refer to would be that of the State Game Lands. My apologies if I am incorrect on that.

~Ronin~
04-20-2010, 14:01
PGC permits camping by through hikers only on State Game Lands (SGL) no more than 200 feet of the A.T. 500 feet or more from public access areas and surface water.

Ahh emerald, you beat me to the punch.

emerald
04-20-2010, 14:08
Good to know someone else would have provided the information.

emerald
04-20-2010, 14:16
Does he call himself "Mechanical Man"?

Yes, more information is available from ALDHA's Companion. Click on the link below and the white blazes to if you don't have a current copy.