PDA

View Full Version : Mass, Late July: Bugs?

dperry
04-18-2010, 23:05
Hello, All,

Lee to Dalton, Mass., last weekend of July. One question: Will the bugs devour us alive, or have they died down a bit by that time?

Tinker
04-18-2010, 23:07
The blackfly population should be down (but not out) by then. Mosquitoes could be a problem (more if the weather's been wet), and deerflies and horseflies can be a problem in a few spots.

Migrating Bird
04-19-2010, 08:47
Deer flies can be horrible from dawn to dusk. One of the easiest way to rest and avoid them when resting, is to sit under a low hanging evergreen like a hemlock branch and they will circle out of range. mosquitoes are around early & late or in dark hemlock swampy areas but the one that I dislike most even more than black flies are the no-see-ums. They come right after the black flies, around July 1st. and last through August. The other pain are "fleas" (not sure of the name, tiny flying insect) but they are non-biting but fly (swarm) in you face and get in your eyes. I seen folks who hike with goggles just because of them.

fredmugs
04-19-2010, 11:40
I bring my mp3 player with me and even if I am not listening to it keeping the headphones on works well for keeping the gnats out of your ears.

canoehead
04-19-2010, 12:45
Bring a head net and a shotgun cuz their big ,, real big. and lotz o deeeeeet too.

Blue Jay
04-19-2010, 13:46
Bring a head net and a shotgun cuz their big ,, real big. and lotz o deeeeeet too.

The shotgun is not a good idea because they will take it away from you. Deet is just barbacue sauce.:banana

Cosmo
04-19-2010, 17:00
Hey, it's the AT. Bugs we got.

By July, skeeters (day and night) and deer flies (daytime only, mostly in open areas) will be the major players. Black flies will not be an issue. You will not become exsanguinated. Skeeters are pretty easy to out hike or foil w/ even moderate levels of DEET. Deer flies are mostly just annoying, circling your head and trying to get into your hair. They are slow, but stupidly persistent. Usually only a couple at a time--no mass attack formations. A hat works pretty well for this (spray it heavily with DEET), and as Fredmugs said, with earphones in you'll never know they are there.

Cosmo

Migrating Bird
04-19-2010, 17:31
Sorry forgot about deer ticks in my earlier post, they slow down by the end of July but going back to the shotgun theory, just in case a 12 ga. #4 shot 3 1/2" mag. may help but you have to lead em good.

Bilko
04-19-2010, 17:53
I plan on hiking MA/VT and some of NH starting June 1st. How are the bugs, mosquitoes, etc.